The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #101
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 8

I've been wanting to see Dr. Doom's origin on film for years now.I really think you can put it in a Fantastic Four movie and it could work fine though.I want a 3 hour Fantastic Four epic personally,but I don't think any studio is gonna make that.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #102
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Absolutely. What's a hundred million these days? For a comic book film - particularly one like the FF that needs to be visually spectacular - 100 m puts it at 'low budget'. Both of the other FF films had budgets over $100 million, and they certainly didn't come across as 'big-budget' films and costs are higher now than they were then.
The first film cost a hundred, the second $130 (Surfer CGI).

Quote:
Name 1 serious comic-book film in the last 5 years that had a budget lower than 100 million.
This film has a budget higher than a hundred million.

Quote:
Here's why I say Fox isn't interested in the FF:

1. They hired a cheap, unproven director.
Ridiculous statement. Trank's not only a proven director, he's one sought out by more studios than any filmmaker over at Marvel. He chose FF over several other big budget productions.

Quote:
2. They're giving the film a small budget.
100+ million is not cheap.

Quote:
3. We're a year and half away from the film's release date and the studio hasn't been talking it up at all.
Why would they talk them up this early? You assume a hell of a lot for no reason other than to suggest Disney/Marvel could (in your mind) do them better. Marketing for Mad Max is non-existent right now. Do you also think that movie isn't a priority for its investors? Like FF, its a year and a half away from release and unlike FF its already shot. Fox doesn't even have footage to show yet but you want major media coverage on FF.

Quote:
4. There have been no hints or whispers of anybody of any consequence starring in the film.
Miles Teller, star of one of the year's best and most critically acclaimed films, The Spectacular Now, has been in talks for Reed for some time now.

Michael B. Jordan, star of the brilliant Fruitvale Station, another one of this year's best has also been in talks for a while.

Quote:
5. They are giving themselves a year from start of production to release - not enough time to do a film as big as the FF should be.
More biased assumptions. They now have the exact same shooting schedule as Avengers Age of Ultron but I'm sure you wouldn't say Whedon is cutting it close over at Disney/Marvel.

Quote:
Competitive comic-book films coming out in 2015 have casts, artwork etc. and people are talking about them and excited by them.
When the marketing for this film begins, you'll get all of the above plus more. "Competitive" is a term not just for comic book movies, its how studios think of every summer movie.

Quote:
Face it, this is a minor film to them. Something they may take a shot with and see what happens.
There's nothing to suggest this is small potatoes for them. Nothing logical at least (assumptions don't count).

Quote:
This is the freakin' Fantastic Four. Before Fox got their hands on them and started screwing things up, this would have been one of the biggest marvel properties behind Spider-man and X-Men. The FF, Dr. Doom and Galactus have powers and stories that put all the other properties to shame. We should be talking about a 200 million+ dollar film that will be like nothing anybody has ever seen before.
Fox is under new management and its pretty evident. Being upset over the regime that ran things a decade ago is no reason to dismiss what the new regime is doing now. The studio that made Elektra went on to make Avatar. Its that big of a change.

Quote:
But Fox has turned it into a minor property that nobody cares about.
Who's nobody? You? 90% of regular people don't know a thing about movies coming out in 2015. There's a reason a film's marketing campaign begins six months prior to release. You're not doing yourself any favors buying into this Disney/Marvel is better than Fox garbage. The FF aren't leaving Fox and Disney/Marvel is severely diluting their films now. Iron Man 3 was crap and Thor The Dark World was incredibly lackluster (that 66% it earned on Rotten Tomatoes is spot on).

Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #103
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji Assan View Post
Thor The Dark World was incredibly lackluster (that 66% it earned on Rotten Tomatoes is spot on).
I wouldn't agree their "severly diluting their films" now. You make it sound like some initiative from the top. What would make them change their philosophy? That's a pretty dumb blanket statement. The last two films haven't been great, but thats how these things work sometimes. I'll blame Marvel for the production BS that went on behind the scenes for TDW, clearly there were problems, but WS and GoTG seem to have gone smoothly. They could very much turn out stellar.

And I assume since you quoted that severly flawed (and idiotic) RT system, you must have belief in it. Do you think the Wolverine was "incredibly lackluster" as well? The audience approval for TDW on RT is 85% while The Wolverine is at 72%. Opinions - altruistic and objectivly true to the last drop, huh?

BTW, I thought the Wolverine was the best comic film of 2013.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 11-26-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #104
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
I wouldn't agree their "severly diluting their films" now. You make it sound like some initiative from the top. What would make them change their philosophy? That's a pretty dumb blanket statement. The last two films haven't been great, but thats how these things work sometimes. I'll blame Marvel for the production BS that went on behind the scenes for TDW, clearly there were problems, but WS and GoTG seem to have gone smoothly. They could very much turn out stellar.
They could, yes. As could Trank's FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
And I assume since you quoted that severly flawed (and idiotic) RT system, you must have belief in it. Do you think the Wolverine was "incredibly lackluster" as well? The audience approval for TDW on RT is 85% while The Wolverine is at 72%. Opinions - altruistic and objectivly true to the last drop, huh?

BTW, I thought the Wolverine was the best comic film of 2013.
I also felt The Wolverine was the best comic book movie this year. Sadly critics disliked it for not having scope and for being too isolated in story.

I'll say it again, any studio is capable of great movies and bad movies.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #105
Lord
All Mighty

I think it was mostly due to the quantity of Hollywood's Japan elements that were in the film, you could even make a drinking game out of that, it had everything, from ninjas to mechas

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 11-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #106
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji Assan View Post
They could, yes. As could Trank's FF.

I also felt The Wolverine was the best comic book movie this year. Sadly critics disliked it for not having scope and for being too isolated in story.

I'll say it again, any studio is capable of great movies and bad movies.

Of course. My two favorite properties are at Sony and Fox, so I don't have MS blinders on. The problem with these debates are they inevitably devolve into emotional subjective bias where opinions are presented as universal truths, such as "Disney/Marvel is severely diluting their films now" or "Thor The Dark World was incredibly lackluster" It's just more cheese on the mouse wheel.

I agree with your points about Fox for the most part.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 11-26-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #107
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I think it was mostly due to the quantity of Hollywood's Japan elements that were in the film, you could even make a drinking game out of that, it had everything, from ninjas to mechas
I've read reviews where critics literally say "Its too small for me to care now that I've seen Avengers". I get that there's a "standard" now for comic book movies but small films can be great. Collider was one of the comic book movie enthusiast sites that actually praised it for being small.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #108
Lord
All Mighty

There was criticism like that? Yeah, my only problem was the last 3rd and the cliches

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #109
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
Agreed. Does anyone think Dr. Doom can hold his own in an origin movie? I do, his character is that deep and rich. He's arguable more famous than his superhero counterpart in the F4. If I was Fox, I'd do an origin film on him(based off Books of Doom) quite possibly before I reboot the F4 because it's something different.
I would LOVE to see a Doom origin film, but I'd want to see him introduced as the villain first. Then we go back and see how he got to where he is.

But that's just dreaming. After what we got in previous films, I'll be happy with a Doom that's even close to what he should be. I'm not even going to wish for something as cool as a stand-alone Doom movie at this point.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #110
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
The only thing Fox is interested in is keeping the rights AWAY From Marvel through their form of extortion.

Roger Corman FF 2.0 June 2015
Nailed it.

But honestly, I think Fox is just making a play for 2016. Whether they have the time to do that is anyone's guess, but we can't rule it out. FF realistically needs a 200 million dollar budget to have any chance, otherwise it's going to get steam rolled next summer. Even then, it will be lucky to gross 200 million domestic in 2015. There is just too much competition. May 2016 is clearly the play, and MS will want no part of that. But there is still a lot of time to get this done. They need to get this into production early next year, and we are already in December. The casting needs to happen before the new year, or January latest. Unless they plan on casting a bunch of unknowns and less profiled actors that are struggling to get work, in which case I'll give them until Valentine's Day.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #111
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Simon Kinberg just signed a 3-year deal to help build FOX's Cinematic Universe, which kind of puts the nail in the coffin when it comes to there being even the remotest chance of FOX relinquishing the rights to the FF.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 12-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #112
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

It seems they're referring more to that expanded X-Men universe that was being talked about pre-Comic Con, and linking together separate movies (X-Force, X-Men: Apocalypse, The Wolverine sequel, maybe Deadpool) ala Marvel or the Fast and the Furious franchise. Which would make sense since there's a lot of talk of new X-Men related projects and (as usual) zero talk about Fantastic Four.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #113
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Simon Kinberg just signed a 3-year deal to help build FOX's Cinematic Universe, which kind of puts the nail in the coffin when it comes to there being even the remotest chance of FOX relinquishing the rights to the FF.
Given that Mark Millar was hired just over a year ago to (apparently unsuccessfully) fulfill the exact same role for FOX, that coffin may not be as secure as you think.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #114
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I don't know what that news really means about Fox's intentions with FF, but if it means Mark Millar is gone, that makes me happier than I was 5 minutes ago.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #115
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
I don't know what that news really means about Fox's intentions with FF, but if it means Mark Millar is gone, that makes me happier than I was 5 minutes ago.
Agreed....Doesn't seem to confirm anything with FF, but Kinberg for Millar?
It's kinda trading one devil for another (imo). I would say Kinberg is the lesser of the 2 potential evils though.

As ever, we will just have to wait & see just what Fox's comic book cinematic universe will be.

Personally, I still don't buy that they can just crossover the properties as they please (Separate deals and all that).

So for now I'm inclined to think this one just means Kinberg's sorting out the X-Men and the never ending related spin-offs to be had there (they can do whatever they like with them), but I do think if they want to throw the FF in that same mix the mouse might well have something to say about it.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #116
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

It's sad that this thread has turned into one big suck up to Marvel party. You'd think a bunch of Disney stockholders were in here.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #117
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Agreed....Doesn't seem to confirm anything with FF, but Kinberg for Millar?
It's kinda trading one devil for another (imo). I would say Kinberg is the lesser of the 2 potential evils though.
Agreed. I'm not a Kinberg fan (I don't really know enough about him to have an opinion), but I'd put Millar right up with Tim Story in terms of people I want as far away from this project as possible.

And it's not that I think Millar is a 'bad' writer, but we need someone who has more respect for the characters than Millar has shown in his work.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #118
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It's sad that this thread has turned into one big suck up to Marvel party. You'd think a bunch of Disney stockholders were in here.
The people hoping for the rights to revert are reacting out of love for the First Family rather than any allegiance to the Mouse. The FF is an extraordinarily tricky property, and all but the most biased haters of the MCU can see that the connected universe created by Feige and company is the perfect environment for the FF. The all-ages appeal, the humor, the sci-fi wackiness, the tie in merchandise, the box office success, The Hulk - there's no question that a relaunch into the MCU is in the best interests of all FF fans. Because if this FOX "Fantastikids" treatment flops, and there is overwhelming evidence to suggest it will, then the franchise is D-U-N. And that would be a damn shame.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #119
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
What specific post or posts are you referring to?

If you have a specific point you want to dispute, go ahead and dispute it, but I'm reading the posts above and I don't have any idea where your comment came from.

It just seems like an attempt to hurl a broad insult at everybody in the thread with no basis in fact.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #120
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

My post means exactly what it means and it's obviously directed towards you and people like you on this thread. I'm a big girl, I'm not hiding.

You guys don't care about getting a good film, you care about crossovers. You want this film to be bad and fail so you can get crossover films with The Avengers.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #121
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
My post means exactly what it means and it's obviously directed towards you and people like you on this thread. I'm a big girl, I'm not hiding.
Find one post of mine where I have said anything that would justify what you said.

Your statement shows that you have absolutely no credibility.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #122
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Find one post of mine where I have said anything that would justify what you said.

Your statement shows that you have absolutely no credibility.
I'm so sad that a random guy on the interwebs think that I have no credibility. What ever shall I do with my life after receiving that devastating news?

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #123
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
I'm so sad that a random guy on the interwebs think that I have no credibility. What ever shall I do with my life after receiving that devastating news?
In other words you can't find any evidence to back up the insult you directed at me.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #124
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
In other words you can't find any evidence to back up the insult you directed at me.
I'm not going to go through your posting history. if you never at any point obsessively pimped the flawless Marvel crossover obsession then why on earth would you respond to me as if you did?

I tried to be nice but I'm not going to be nice about this subject anymore. I'm sick of hearing how this and that project should go back to Marvel because this or that person wants this or that character in The Avengers sequel. If I have to obsessively read that prattle in every thread that is about a non Disney Marvel movie then I am going to, within bounds, aggressively respond to the Marvel knows all crowd.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 12-06-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #125
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
It just seems like an attempt to hurl a broad insult at everybody in the thread with no basis in fact.
That's exactly what it was.

Frankly I'm getting tired of people waltzing into this thread acting like it's full of unreasonable Marvel nerds. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated before it finally starts sinking in but nearly everyone who has posted in this and the other thread have been perfectly cool with Fox retaining the X-men and launching those spin-offs. It makes sense. But cramming the FF in there just so they can piggyback on marvel's success? No thanks.

Quote:
You guys don't care about getting a good film, you care about crossovers. You want this film to be bad and fail so you can get crossover films with The Avengers.
And this just proves you haven't bothered to read the thread. Stop trying to cause trouble, please. This thread is bad enough without more ****-stirring.

Quote:
I tried to be nice
Like hell you did. You came in here looking to rile people up, or else you wouldn't have opened by calling everyone suck ups.

Quote:
but I'm not going to be nice about this subject anymore.
Oh well.

Quote:
I'm sick of hearing how this and that project should go back to Marvel because this or that person wants this or that character in The Avengers sequel.
I'm getting sick of people who don't have any idea what they're talking about. Nobody want the FF in an Avengers sequel. Try again.

Quote:
If I have to obsessively read that prattle in every thread that is about a non Disney Marvel movie then I am going to, within bounds, aggressively respond to the Marvel knows all crowd.
Then prepare to be reported frequently for having a belligerent attitude and trolling. Clearly you didn't learn anything from getting kicked out of the John Carter thread multiple times for the exact same behaviour.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion

Last edited by Whiskey Tango; 12-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Closed Thread