The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #801
-Nam rorriM-
Eater of toasties
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 149
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Perhaps they could add "try cola!" And Netflix logo there too.

The logo on the cape is overkill, he already has a big \s/ on the chest. I've never understood the logo on the cape.

-Nam rorriM- is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #802
The Watchman
Balls McGee
 
The Watchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Over the Hills and Far Away
Posts: 12,137
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

I like it from an aesthetic standpoint but it's not that important to me - likely harder to do with CGI than leaving it solid.

__________________
The Dude Abides


I just blue myself
The Watchman is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #803
BattleAngel
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 771
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I like it from an aesthetic standpoint but it's not that important to me - likely harder to do with CGI than leaving it solid.
Shouldn't be - I'm sure they are just using a glorified version of a flat texture for the cape. Shouldn't it be able to be just printed on whatever they are using?

Anyway, the yellow S is cool, but I prefer the black one for the cape. I loved the treatment of the cape in Morrison's Action Comics #0

Also - I kind of dig this suit they had for Cavill back when he was first slated to play Superman before SR.


BattleAngel is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #804
Caekzor
Nolanesque
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 439
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Reminds me of the Batman Forever sonar suit.


Caekzor is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #805
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Some place, Some Where, Next Door
Posts: 15,720
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Just as his suit in MOS displayed that he was a citizen of Krypton, I want his new suit to show that he is now, first and foremost, a citizen of earth. And if that means a more earthly, costume-y look and feel, then so be it.


I mean, is that so much to ask?

SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #806
InJustice
Side-Kick
 
InJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,016
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Just as his suit in MOS displayed that he was a citizen of Krypton, I want his new suit to show that he is now, first and foremost, a citizen of earth. And if that means a more earthly, costume-y look and feel, then so be it.

I mean, is that so much to ask?
You're missing the point if you're treating the suit as if it has to accompany an one side of the spectrum (regarding choosing either Kryptonian and Earth heritages). Clark himself is a citizen of Earth, there's nothing different he has over other humans that all of a sudden, it needs to be outlined. The suit is a way for him to not only accept his Kryptonian heritage, but to show how he's a bridge between both sides (The wearer was born and raised with human tendencies, while the suit displays his ethereal and superhuman features). Editing the suit to make it have more "Earthly" features disrupts that balance and makes him come across as if he doesn't give a **** about his Kryptonian heritage. In other words, the suit isn't supposed to be some sort of "I'm on one side, not yours" cliche, it's a part of an assemblage that is Superman's identity.

Man of Steel didn't simply display him as a citizen of Krypton, it showed Clark's attempt to balance between both spectrum of his heritage.

InJustice is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #807
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow
 
John-An's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 8,021
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
You're missing the point if you're treating the suit as if it has to accompany an one side of the spectrum (regarding choosing either Kryptonian and Earth heritages). Clark himself is a citizen of Earth, there's nothing different he has over other humans that all of a sudden, it needs to be outlined. The suit is a way for him to not only accept his Kryptonian heritage, but to show how he's a bridge between both sides (The wearer was born and raised with human tendencies, while the suit displays his ethereal and superhuman features). Editing the suit to make it have more "Earthly" features disrupts that balance and makes him come across as if he doesn't give a **** about his Kryptonian heritage. In other words, the suit isn't supposed to be some sort of "I'm on one side, not yours" cliche, it's a part of an assemblage that is Superman's identity.

Man of Steel didn't simply display him as a citizen of Krypton, it showed Clark's attempt to balance between both spectrum of his heritage.
to the bold part. Agreed 150%

we have the best superman outfit ever. slightly modifications are ok but no way they need to change it.


not to mention that this suit represents the "best" of krypton. while the other ones (jor-el's, kryptonians) are dark and gritty or black (zod's army)



__________________
Ice water: Superman's new kryptonite
"Krypton bred me... but it was Earth that gave me all I am." - Superman
I Like Marvel, Love DC, but what I love the most is ˇDIVERSITY!


Last edited by John-An; 01-07-2014 at 09:34 PM.
John-An is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #808
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,104
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Yep. This is the best Superman has ever looked in live action. As someone who absolutely loves the classic costume and would have loved to see Snyder take a crack at it...I sometimes think I love this suit more than that one. At the very least, I don't love one significantly more than the other.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #809
Afrobean
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 148
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Editing the suit to make it have more "Earthly" features disrupts that balance and makes him come across as if he doesn't give a **** about his Kryptonian heritage.
This is inaccurate. Originally, NO PART of the suit was Kryptonian. Then his chest emblem was retconned to be Kryptonian. Then his cape was retconned to be Kryptonian (his baby blanket). Then they retconned it again so that his cape was just an ordinary cape. Then for New 52, his original costume was an ordinary tshirt with his Kryptonian crest on it, while he later adopted an alien (Kryptonian?) armor with that same crest applied to it.

The idea of using the suit to show his Kryptonian heritage isn't inherently part of the suit. It was injected later. Furthermore, he'll be showing his heritage every time he has his House of El crest visible, regardless of what the actual costume he's wearing looks like.

Quote:
it's a part of an assemblage that is Superman's identity.
An Earthly costume with a Kryptonian symbol on it is literally an assemblage of his identity. It's assembled from disparate parts of his identity: part Earth, part Krypton.

Not saying they HAVE TO change the suit, but I'm open to it, and it certainly wouldn't be a indicative of him forgetting his heritage.

Afrobean is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #810
InJustice
Side-Kick
 
InJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,016
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
This is inaccurate. Originally, NO PART of the suit was Kryptonian. Then his chest emblem was retconned to be Kryptonian. Then his cape was retconned to be Kryptonian (his baby blanket). Then they retconned it again so that his cape was just an ordinary cape. Then for New 52, his original costume was an ordinary tshirt with his Kryptonian crest on it, while he later adopted an alien (Kryptonian?) armor with that same crest applied to it.
Inaccurate why? I was speaking in the context of Man of Steel and what ideas the suit presented to not only modern conception of Superman as an identity, but of Krypton's as well. To bring up comics history is irrelevant to this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
The idea of using the suit to show his Kryptonian heritage isn't inherently part of the suit. It was injected later. Furthermore, he'll be showing his heritage every time he has his House of El crest visible, regardless of what the actual costume he's wearing looks like.
In the context of Man of Steel, it is. Their canon is saying that Kryptonian garment has meaning whilst ignoring other forms of media. This means that, comics history is irrelevant, especially when we're deconstructing Man of Steel's design choices. They explicitly show how suits were part of Krypton's way of life, that is the suit acts as a signifier to show what family you were a part of. In the film, it gains a new language in that it's completely alien to the people of Earth. In fact, this whole new vague language is the reason why Clark opened up to Lois about the meaning of his symbol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
An Earthly costume with a Kryptonian symbol on it is literally an assemblage of his identity. It's assembled from disparate parts of his identity: part Earth, part Krypton.

Not saying they HAVE TO change the suit, but I'm open to it, and it certainly wouldn't be a indicative of him forgetting his heritage.
Not in the sense of an assemblage. All you're doing is taking away the unique quirks that made the suit Kryptonian and replacing it with Earth-inspired designs. That to me makes Superman's identity appear as if he only favours Earth and makes his identity rather monotonous.

For comparison's sake, look at Nolan's Batman. A change wasn't needed until Bruce Wayne realized his armor was becoming impractical. This sort of change, at least has some merit behind as opposed to some arbitrary detail changes. For an even closer comparison, suppose we get the Action Comic Superman or even Smallville's Clark in which he wears Superman's uniform except with a heavily modernized and Earthly twist. You would never have known he's a Kryptonian with the way he dressed (and I'd go as far as to say his "lost" identity places him with an echelon of heroes such as Spider-Man, Batman etc.).

InJustice is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #811
BattleAngel
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 771
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Just literally a 5 minute screw around to take a look at Cavill done up like Action Comics #1 (which I preferred *vastly* in terms of its take on a grounded, rebooted, accessible Superman, and it was still one hell of an alien story)



Forgive the sloppy quality, just wanted to bust this one out before going to bed. I can hear my girlfriend giving me the "get in here" huff & puff sigh from the next room. Time to retire the dorking out for the evening

BattleAngel is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #812
Astrodust
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,613
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

I think an S on the cape would be awesome but they might have to explain it. Or not.

Astrodust is offline  
Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #813
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction
 
Gamma Goliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,949
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

An explanation for the symbol on the cape is unneeded lol I hope people aren't that curious

__________________
"It's the possibility of a dream coming true that makes life interesting."
Gamma Goliath is offline  
Old 01-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #814
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,043
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

maybe he wants to emphasize the symbol more.

maybe a good chunk of photographers only manage to snap his backside while he's in action and nobody gets to see the S.

(I hope not though. I think it looks better without it).

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline  
Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #815
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,463
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

I think Superman's suit is probably difficult to get looking just right. The suit we have works so well that altering it would seem ill advised. The muted colours people dislike appears to be a result of the palette applied to the whole movie, anyway. I expect he will be made to look much more colourful opposite Batman.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #816
Airwings
Waves of air
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 3,455
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
Looks really good with this kind of more distinctive colors. Hope they will go this route

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I expect he will be made to look much more colourful opposite Batman.
Ofc Superman must look different to Batman. That's an important detail in the comic books.
Pretty much every JL member must have his/her own unique look


Last edited by Airwings; 01-08-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Airwings is offline  
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #817
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,191
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Don't want the costume changed too much. Hopefully, it is just a tweak and that it's an improvement.

STARMAN is offline  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #818
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,421
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Don't want the costume changed too much. Hopefully, it is just a tweak and that it's an improvement.
Agreed

__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #819
Kal L
Superman of Earth 2
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

What about something like this from JLA Trapped in Time?


Kal L is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #820
bapi
Side-Kick
 
bapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,675
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

I'd like to see this one but with that red belt:


__________________
Manchester City, Werder Bremen, Chicago Bulls, New Jersey Devils and Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 supporter

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #821
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,104
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal L View Post
What about something like this from JLA Trapped in Time?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
I'd like to see this one but with that red belt:

God no.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #822
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,809
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Looks really good with this kind of more distinctive colors. Hope they will go this route

Ofc Superman must look different to Batman. That's an important detail in the comic books.
Pretty much every JL member must have his/her own unique look
NO!! NO!!!! NO!!!! They must all wear similar Justice League uniforms. If they look to different from each other, it won't work in live action. (Sarcasm)




__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #823
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero
 
Hulk-1700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,104
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

I'm hoping they don't change the costume much, if at all. I was fine with it as it was in MoS.

But, ultimately, as long as no red trunks are added [to the outside] then I'll be fine with the changes.

Hulk-1700 is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #824
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,463
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

That's quite a statement. Anything would be better than the addition of red trunks?

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #825
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 10,381
Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post


I hope something as this refering to the colors of the suit
They can leave his suit be and adjust the colors. Perfection in suit form.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.