The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #801
-Nam rorriM-
Eater of toasties

Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Perhaps they could add "try cola!" And Netflix logo there too.

The logo on the cape is overkill, he already has a big \s/ on the chest. I've never understood the logo on the cape.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #802
The Watchman
Balls McGee

I like it from an aesthetic standpoint but it's not that important to me - likely harder to do with CGI than leaving it solid.

I just blue myself
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #803
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I like it from an aesthetic standpoint but it's not that important to me - likely harder to do with CGI than leaving it solid.
Shouldn't be - I'm sure they are just using a glorified version of a flat texture for the cape. Shouldn't it be able to be just printed on whatever they are using?

Anyway, the yellow S is cool, but I prefer the black one for the cape. I loved the treatment of the cape in Morrison's Action Comics #0

Also - I kind of dig this suit they had for Cavill back when he was first slated to play Superman before SR.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #804
Caekzor
Nolanesque

Reminds me of the Batman Forever sonar suit.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #805
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Just as his suit in MOS displayed that he was a citizen of Krypton, I want his new suit to show that he is now, first and foremost, a citizen of earth. And if that means a more earthly, costume-y look and feel, then so be it.

I mean, is that so much to ask?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #806
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Just as his suit in MOS displayed that he was a citizen of Krypton, I want his new suit to show that he is now, first and foremost, a citizen of earth. And if that means a more earthly, costume-y look and feel, then so be it.

I mean, is that so much to ask?
You're missing the point if you're treating the suit as if it has to accompany an one side of the spectrum (regarding choosing either Kryptonian and Earth heritages). Clark himself is a citizen of Earth, there's nothing different he has over other humans that all of a sudden, it needs to be outlined. The suit is a way for him to not only accept his Kryptonian heritage, but to show how he's a bridge between both sides (The wearer was born and raised with human tendencies, while the suit displays his ethereal and superhuman features). Editing the suit to make it have more "Earthly" features disrupts that balance and makes him come across as if he doesn't give a **** about his Kryptonian heritage. In other words, the suit isn't supposed to be some sort of "I'm on one side, not yours" cliche, it's a part of an assemblage that is Superman's identity.

Man of Steel didn't simply display him as a citizen of Krypton, it showed Clark's attempt to balance between both spectrum of his heritage.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #807
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
You're missing the point if you're treating the suit as if it has to accompany an one side of the spectrum (regarding choosing either Kryptonian and Earth heritages). Clark himself is a citizen of Earth, there's nothing different he has over other humans that all of a sudden, it needs to be outlined. The suit is a way for him to not only accept his Kryptonian heritage, but to show how he's a bridge between both sides (The wearer was born and raised with human tendencies, while the suit displays his ethereal and superhuman features). Editing the suit to make it have more "Earthly" features disrupts that balance and makes him come across as if he doesn't give a **** about his Kryptonian heritage. In other words, the suit isn't supposed to be some sort of "I'm on one side, not yours" cliche, it's a part of an assemblage that is Superman's identity.

Man of Steel didn't simply display him as a citizen of Krypton, it showed Clark's attempt to balance between both spectrum of his heritage.
to the bold part. Agreed 150%

we have the best superman outfit ever. slightly modifications are ok but no way they need to change it.

not to mention that this suit represents the "best" of krypton. while the other ones (jor-el's, kryptonians) are dark and gritty or black (zod's army)

Last edited by John-An; 01-07-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #808
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Yep. This is the best Superman has ever looked in live action. As someone who absolutely loves the classic costume and would have loved to see Snyder take a crack at it...I sometimes think I love this suit more than that one. At the very least, I don't love one significantly more than the other.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #809
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Editing the suit to make it have more "Earthly" features disrupts that balance and makes him come across as if he doesn't give a **** about his Kryptonian heritage.
This is inaccurate. Originally, NO PART of the suit was Kryptonian. Then his chest emblem was retconned to be Kryptonian. Then his cape was retconned to be Kryptonian (his baby blanket). Then they retconned it again so that his cape was just an ordinary cape. Then for New 52, his original costume was an ordinary tshirt with his Kryptonian crest on it, while he later adopted an alien (Kryptonian?) armor with that same crest applied to it.

The idea of using the suit to show his Kryptonian heritage isn't inherently part of the suit. It was injected later. Furthermore, he'll be showing his heritage every time he has his House of El crest visible, regardless of what the actual costume he's wearing looks like.

Quote:
it's a part of an assemblage that is Superman's identity.
An Earthly costume with a Kryptonian symbol on it is literally an assemblage of his identity. It's assembled from disparate parts of his identity: part Earth, part Krypton.

Not saying they HAVE TO change the suit, but I'm open to it, and it certainly wouldn't be a indicative of him forgetting his heritage.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #810
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
This is inaccurate. Originally, NO PART of the suit was Kryptonian. Then his chest emblem was retconned to be Kryptonian. Then his cape was retconned to be Kryptonian (his baby blanket). Then they retconned it again so that his cape was just an ordinary cape. Then for New 52, his original costume was an ordinary tshirt with his Kryptonian crest on it, while he later adopted an alien (Kryptonian?) armor with that same crest applied to it.
Inaccurate why? I was speaking in the context of Man of Steel and what ideas the suit presented to not only modern conception of Superman as an identity, but of Krypton's as well. To bring up comics history is irrelevant to this discussion.

Quote:
The idea of using the suit to show his Kryptonian heritage isn't inherently part of the suit. It was injected later. Furthermore, he'll be showing his heritage every time he has his House of El crest visible, regardless of what the actual costume he's wearing looks like.
In the context of Man of Steel, it is. Their canon is saying that Kryptonian garment has meaning whilst ignoring other forms of media. This means that, comics history is irrelevant, especially when we're deconstructing Man of Steel's design choices. They explicitly show how suits were part of Krypton's way of life, that is the suit acts as a signifier to show what family you were a part of. In the film, it gains a new language in that it's completely alien to the people of Earth. In fact, this whole new vague language is the reason why Clark opened up to Lois about the meaning of his symbol.

Quote:
An Earthly costume with a Kryptonian symbol on it is literally an assemblage of his identity. It's assembled from disparate parts of his identity: part Earth, part Krypton.

Not saying they HAVE TO change the suit, but I'm open to it, and it certainly wouldn't be a indicative of him forgetting his heritage.
Not in the sense of an assemblage. All you're doing is taking away the unique quirks that made the suit Kryptonian and replacing it with Earth-inspired designs. That to me makes Superman's identity appear as if he only favours Earth and makes his identity rather monotonous.

For comparison's sake, look at Nolan's Batman. A change wasn't needed until Bruce Wayne realized his armor was becoming impractical. This sort of change, at least has some merit behind as opposed to some arbitrary detail changes. For an even closer comparison, suppose we get the Action Comic Superman or even Smallville's Clark in which he wears Superman's uniform except with a heavily modernized and Earthly twist. You would never have known he's a Kryptonian with the way he dressed (and I'd go as far as to say his "lost" identity places him with an echelon of heroes such as Spider-Man, Batman etc.).

Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #811
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Just literally a 5 minute screw around to take a look at Cavill done up like Action Comics #1 (which I preferred *vastly* in terms of its take on a grounded, rebooted, accessible Superman, and it was still one hell of an alien story)

Forgive the sloppy quality, just wanted to bust this one out before going to bed. I can hear my girlfriend giving me the "get in here" huff & puff sigh from the next room. Time to retire the dorking out for the evening

Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #812
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I think an S on the cape would be awesome but they might have to explain it. Or not.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #813
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

An explanation for the symbol on the cape is unneeded lol I hope people aren't that curious

Old 01-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #814
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

maybe he wants to emphasize the symbol more.

maybe a good chunk of photographers only manage to snap his backside while he's in action and nobody gets to see the S.

(I hope not though. I think it looks better without it).

Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #815
regwec
Shakespearo

I think Superman's suit is probably difficult to get looking just right. The suit we have works so well that altering it would seem ill advised. The muted colours people dislike appears to be a result of the palette applied to the whole movie, anyway. I expect he will be made to look much more colourful opposite Batman.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #816
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
Looks really good with this kind of more distinctive colors. Hope they will go this route

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I expect he will be made to look much more colourful opposite Batman.
Ofc Superman must look different to Batman. That's an important detail in the comic books.
Pretty much every JL member must have his/her own unique look

Last edited by Airwings; 01-08-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #817
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Don't want the costume changed too much. Hopefully, it is just a tweak and that it's an improvement.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #818
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Don't want the costume changed too much. Hopefully, it is just a tweak and that it's an improvement.
Agreed

Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #819
Kal L
Superman of Earth 2

What about something like this from JLA Trapped in Time?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #820
bapi
Side-Kick

I'd like to see this one but with that red belt:

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #821
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal L View Post
What about something like this from JLA Trapped in Time?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
I'd like to see this one but with that red belt:

God no.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #822
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Looks really good with this kind of more distinctive colors. Hope they will go this route

Ofc Superman must look different to Batman. That's an important detail in the comic books.
Pretty much every JL member must have his/her own unique look
NO!! NO!!!! NO!!!! They must all wear similar Justice League uniforms. If they look to different from each other, it won't work in live action. (Sarcasm)

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #823
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

I'm hoping they don't change the costume much, if at all. I was fine with it as it was in MoS.

But, ultimately, as long as no red trunks are added [to the outside] then I'll be fine with the changes.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #824
regwec
Shakespearo

That's quite a statement. Anything would be better than the addition of red trunks?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #825
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post

I hope something as this refering to the colors of the suit
They can leave his suit be and adjust the colors. Perfection in suit form.

Closed Thread