The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #276
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: The official Michael Fassbender / Magneto thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Exactly. But then, we know that Charles never moved a hand to hurt Magneto in any way, but is always being hurt, manipulated to kill people, abandoned to die...so really, I wonder why Charles isn't furious at him all the time in the other films. Man, zen buddhists have got nothing on Professor X.
It's the same way in the comics. Magneto has pulled A LOT worse crap there on a MUCH grander scale, and yet Xavier still considers him to be a friend. It's just in their characters to like each other despite their differences. Plus, Xavier's big on second chances, and third chances, and fourth chances, and tenth chances. That's why he let Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Storm, Colossus, etc to join the team in the comics despite their less than stellar backgrounds.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #277
myra
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
There is a lot of distaste, but I wonder...why would Magneto be pissed off at Charles? The only explanation I can come up with is Charles not rescuing him sooner from captivity, but Erik was the one who sufficiently screwed over Charles in FC. Charles should be the angry one.
There is also Magneto's "We were supposed to protect them!" line in the trailer which I think refers to both the fact that both of them are apparently complete failures in the future and also the fact that while Magneto has been sitting in a hole in a ground for the past decade Charles has abandoned his idea of a mutant school and done jack sh** for the protection of mutant kind.

Despite their myriad of differences there is that line Magneto says in Last Stand about how no one has done more for mutant kind than Charles but obviously Charles isn't quite there in DofP. I think Erik's anger towards Charles in this film will be more related to Charles' stagnation. I doubt he gives a crap about anybody's personal angst or Charles and Raven's estrangement when there are far bigger fish to fry in his mind.

myra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #278
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra View Post
There is also Magneto's "We were supposed to protect them!" line in the trailer which I think refers to both the fact that both of them are apparently complete failures in the future and also the fact that while Magneto has been sitting in a hole in a ground for the past decade Charles has abandoned his idea of a mutant school and done jack sh** for the protection of mutant kind.

Despite their myriad of differences there is that line Magneto says in Last Stand about how no one has done more for mutant kind than Charles but obviously Charles isn't quite there in DofP. I think Erik's anger towards Charles in this film will be more related to Charles' stagnation. I doubt he gives a crap about anybody's personal angst or Charles and Raven's estrangement when there are far bigger fish to fry in his mind.
Very good point. I hadn't considered that.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #279
Rike
Something strange here?

Is there anything more badass than Magneto lifting a stadium?

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Last edited by Rike; 03-26-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #280
Rike
Something strange here?

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #281
myra
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikePirado View Post
I still don't get the point of the half short cape/half long cape thing this movie has going on with its costumes but yes he does look exceptionally badass here. I expect we're going to get a lot of amazing visuals with Magneto in this film if the trailer is anything to go by. The submarine and Golden Gate bridge were small potatoes compared to the sh** he's going to pull in this one.

myra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #282
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
^ I get the 3-finger motion. I watched Inglorious Bastards.

Well...it could be a defense mechanism. I mean, we all have times when someone has clearly wronged us but then they get mad at us because we're angry with them. The line "Then you should have fought harder for them" in reference to all Charles lost, sounds like a defensive statement from Erik. So...yeah. He might just be reacting to the fact that Charles is so pissed at him. Maybe.
well it was clear in the first that Erik really really wanted Charles to be on his side. he probably hadn't ever met someone he could let his guard down around. and Charles kind of made himself that person. then he fundamentally disagreed with everything Erik saw as the truth. he did not have Erik's back in respect to his need for vengeance. if Erik's mad about something, it's that Charles can't be the man that he needs him to be. that and both characters are control freaks.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #283
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Fassbender has such badass presence and natural intensity as Magneto.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #284
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

OMG, I didn't notice in the trailer that he was lifting the entire stadium. I thought he was just ripping off seats.

Dr. Walter Bishop: Oh - That's too bad. You'll have to shock her heart then.

-FRINGE
gugumugats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #285
KidxMikexMcfly
Omega Telekinetic 🙌🙇

Quote:
I still don't get the point of the half short cape/half long cape thing this movie has going on with its costumes but yes he does look exceptionally badass here. I expect we're going to get a lot of amazing visuals with Magneto in this film if the trailer is anything to go by. The submarine and Golden Gate bridge were small potatoes compared to the sh** he's going to pull in this one.
Yeah I hate the half capes too. I don't understand the purpose of them

- Jean Grey 🔥
KidxMikexMcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #286
Farren
Side Kicker

The cape helps complete his image as crazed super-villain. That's probably why he wears it.

I don't mean that flippantly either: he probably chooses to come off that way in order to make people think he's crazy enough to carry out his threats.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #287
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
He's Magneto!!!!!!!!
I want to see the shield forces he had in the comics on this or maybe in the sequel or in the reboot.

John-An is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #288
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidxMikexMcfly View Post
Yeah I hate the half capes too. I don't understand the purpose of them
Its there to make them visually appealing.

I mean do you think if they are real-life Magnetos out there, would they be wearing outfits like that? No. This is fiction and a superhero film.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #289
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
There is a lot of distaste, but I wonder...why would Magneto be pissed off at Charles? The only explanation I can come up with is Charles not rescuing him sooner from captivity, but Erik was the one who sufficiently screwed over Charles in FC. Charles should be the angry one.
Well, from Erik's point of view, that moment on the beach when he's holding Charles and tells him that he wants him by his side is probably the time he's been the most open and vulnerable in years and years, and then Charles basically rejects him. And he refuses to see the light (again from Erik's POV), and take the same stand on the humans.

I don't expect young!Erik to suddenly see the light himself and have a complete philosophy overhaul, but at the same time I still think that he'll contribute somehow to saving the (future) day, even if it's in some unintended roundabout way. Otherwise, it makes the whole notion of Wolverine needing both Charles and Erik rather pointless, and it would be a tad silly if our heroes' biggest problem in this movie is entirely self-created, since it wouldn't have existed if they just left Magneto in jail and got on with the mission.

If young!Magneto does turn out to be a straight-up villain here, they'll need to seriously think on what to do with the character in the next movie, because yet another villain/team-up/betrayal arc would be boring, even with Fassbender in the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Exactly. But then, we know that Charles never moved a hand to hurt Magneto in any way, but is always being hurt, manipulated to kill people, abandoned to die...so really, I wonder why Charles isn't furious at him all the time in the other films. Man, zen buddhists have got nothing on Professor X.
Well in the original trilogy I at least had a sense that they've been friends for much longer than a few months followed by years and years of enmity. Or at least that they might have had good and bad patches. There was that whole flashback at the start of X3 where they seem on good terms. If it was literally nothing but a few brief months and then decades and decades in which Erik has done nothing but terrible stuff, it would look like Charles is stuck in some kind of weird delusional one-sided abusive friendship.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 03-27-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #290
Malik
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikePirado View Post
Omg is he going to land it on top of the trolls?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #291
Rike
Something strange here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by levikuntz View Post
Omg is he going to land it on top of the trolls?
That would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #292
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well, from Erik's point of view, that moment on the beach when he's holding Charles and tells him that he wants him by his side is probably the time he's been the most open and vulnerable in years and years, and then Charles basically rejects him. And he refuses to see the light (again from Erik's POV), and take the same stand on the humans.

I don't expect young!Erik to suddenly see the light himself and have a complete philosophy overhaul, but at the same time I still think that he'll contribute somehow to saving the (future) day, even if it's in some unintended roundabout way. Otherwise, it makes the whole notion of Wolverine needing both Charles and Erik rather pointless, and it would be a tad silly if our heroes' biggest problem in this movie is entirely self-created, since it wouldn't have existed if they just left Magneto in jail and got on with the mission.

If young!Magneto does turn out to be a straight-up villain here, they'll need to seriously think on what to do with the character in the next movie, because yet another villain/team-up/betrayal arc would be boring, even with Fassbender in the role.

Well in the original trilogy I at least had a sense that they've been friends for much longer than a few months followed by years and years of enmity. Or at least that they might have had good and bad patches. There was that whole flashback at the start of X3 where they seem on good terms. If it was literally nothing but a few brief months and then decades and decades in which Erik has done nothing but terrible stuff, it would look like Charles is stuck in some kind of weird delusional one-sided abusive friendship.
I wonder if they will have been in contact within the time gap. If Singer was serious about continuity, Erik will have helped Charles build Cerebro sometime after FC and before DOFP.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #293
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I wonder if they will have been in contact within the time gap. If Singer was serious about continuity, Erik will have helped Charles build Cerebro sometime after FC and before DOFP.
Or he helped build a version of cerebro offscreen at mansion before they went to cuba.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #294
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I dunno, that would probably take some time and planning. They were in a rush..

Old 03-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #295
Loki882
Side-Kick

Or he helps build a version in a future film. The Cerebro from FC was clearly not the same as the one from the OT (and it got destroyed anyway).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #296
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Magneto has been In prison for much of the 10 years Inbetween FC and past of DOFP and
from trailer+TV spot we know Magneto won't be good for long after his breakout In DOFP.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #297
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Magneto has been In prison for much of the 10 years Inbetween FC and past of DOFP and
from trailer+TV spot we know Magneto won't be good for long after his breakout In DOFP.
Yeah, that's what I'm figuring. I guess we'll just have to live with that minor inconsistency, just like Xavier telling Logan in X1 that he met Magneto when he was 17. And to that I say...oh, well.

Here is what I think will happen with young Magneto (more speculation than spoilers, but I can play nice and put up tags):

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Magneto helps Charles, Logan and Hank stop Mystique from assassinating whoever she's planning to assassinate (Trask? Nixon?--I'll be routing for her if it's Nixon). They succeed in stopping her, only for Xavier and co. to realize Magneto's "We've been given a second chance" spiel was actually talking about pushing his anti-human agenda even faster than before, because now he knows what's to come and believes, if he doesn't destroy humanity NOW, then the Sentinels will still be created and mutants will die.

So...the end of the movie will be Logan, Xavier, and Hank trying to stop Magneto in the past while, in the future, the surviving X-men try to keep the Sentinels at bay long enough for Logan to complete his mission. It's my understanding, until he's brought back to the future, the future won't be set...or something like this.

Just a thought.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #298
Takato
human?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Or he helped build a version of cerebro offscreen at mansion before they went to cuba.
That's how i've thought about it

Takato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #299
Great Mind(s)
Broken

The Cerebro from the OT is present in DOFP. Its more than a minor inconsistency, it's part of the entire plot of X2 not just one line from X1...

Old 03-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #300
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
The Cerebro from the OT is present in DOFP. Its more than a minor inconsistency, it's part of the entire plot of X2 not just one line from X1...
But it's just one line in X1 where Xavier mentions that Magneto helps him build it. Take out that single line, and no one would question it again.

In X2, it would make sense that Magneto would understand how Cerebro works since it's the main "weapon" Xavier uses to hinder Magneto's plans. And Erik witnessed it in action in FC, so it's not that far a stretch to believe he knows about it, would study it somehow, and know how it operates. Even Mystique seemed very familiar with it in X1 and X2, and she didn't help build it.

It's already inconsisent, anyway, since the whole reason Xavier mentions it in X1 is because Logan asks how Magneto knows how to block Xavier's telepathy. In FC, Magneto gets his helmet from Shaw, so he didn't figure out how to block Xavier's telepathy on his own, and Hank built Cerebro. So, yeah--we're already down the rabbit hole on this one.

Click Here to Read.