Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

View Poll Results: If Fox makes the film, I hope:
It is a great movie suited to these classic characters. 20 68.97%
I hope it is a bad movie and fails commercially. 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Assuming Fox Will be Making this Film, What Outcome do You Hope for?

I may be opening a can of worms with this, but I think it's worth a poll. Personally, I have minimal trust in Fox, but IF they do the film, I'm hoping they can find a way to do it right.

If it fails, I think it could realistically be 15 - 20 years before we'll see another one.

And keep in mind, this isn't what you expect will happen, but rather what you hope will happen.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 11-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: Assuming Fox Will be Making this Film, What Outcome do You Hope for?

Though I'm the camp wanting the FF back with Marvel, if Fox do make this I hope they do nail them this time round and do make a great movie.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Default Re: Assuming Fox Will be Making this Film, What Outcome do You Hope for?

I actually think Trank will make a solid-very good movie.

I just feel Fox has f***ed themselves at the box office with that release date

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.[X-Men:DOFP[/B] 5.Spiderman 2 6. X2: X Men United. 7. Iron Man 8. Batman Begins. 9. X-Men: First Class 10. Captain America: The First Avenger
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Naji Assan
Banned User

I hope for the beginning of a franchise, one that's actually good and willing to take risks. Trank's hiring suggests the above and because this film is part of the shared universe Fox is doing I'm excited to see the eventual crossover where the X-Men and the FF and X-Force, X-Factor, Starjammers, Excalibur, New Mutants and Alpha Flight all get together to fight something big. Galactus anyone? Real Galactus? I'm excited.

Naji Assan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Though I'm the camp wanting the FF back with Marvel, if Fox do make this I hope they do nail them this time round and do make a great movie.
I would guess that's how the majority of us feel, and I was thinking this poll might dispell the myth that most of us are rooting for failure - as opposed to simpy wanting the property handled by a studio that gives a damn about it. But we'll see what happens with some more responses. I could be wrong.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I am willing to give the film a shot. I am in the minority that loved FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer; but, that does not mean I want the film to fail, but, rather, I am open to myriad interpretations of the material.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji Assan View Post
I hope for the beginning of a franchise, one that's actually good and willing to take risks. Trank's hiring suggests the above and because this film is part of the shared universe Fox is doing I'm excited to see the eventual crossover where the X-Men and the FF and X-Force, X-Factor, Starjammers, Excalibur, New Mutants and Alpha Flight all get together to fight something big. Galactus anyone? Real Galactus? I'm excited.
I like Trank, but that's about as far as I can go at this moment. I'm willing to keep an open mind, but I have serious doubts.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I am in the minority that loved FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer;
Wow! That is a minority. I liked the fact that ROTSS did make some improvements over the first film, but that was a pretty low bar.

And I still watch both films periodically, but that's more because I love the characters than anything else.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I would guess that's how the majority of us feel, and I was thinking this poll might dispell the myth that most of us are rooting for failure - as opposed to simpy wanting the property handled by a studio that gives a damn about it. But we'll see what happens with some more responses. I could be wrong.
You are wrong to think this will dispel anything. The issue here not the failure but the success of the FF and how Fox will be unable (even with great effort and care) create a tentpole FF franchise Marvel Team outside of the MCU now that Marvel themselves are making,marketing and merchandizing their characters at a high level with great success now as opposed to the early 2000 before there was a Marvel Studios and the almighty Mouse.

Think what a stigma a movie carries when the industry considers a film to be a Flop.. That doesn't always deem that the quality of a film was bad. It's just nobody wen't to see it.

FF should not have to face that possible outcome because Fox wants to sing "It's mine and you cant have it"

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Wow! That is a minority. I liked the fact that ROTSS did make some improvements over the first film, but that was a pretty low bar.

And I still watch both films periodically, but that's more because I love the characters than anything else.
I agree with this 100% - the second FF was a step in the right direction, even if it was a tiny step, and I too find myself watching them when they turn up on t.v.

As far as this topic goes, while I think the FF would be better served being back at Marvel [thanks to Claremont the X-Men don't really seem to mesh with any other Marvel characters] at the end of the day I just want a good, faithful screen version of the World's Greatest Comic Magazine.

bubbadoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Don't get too excited: Millar has backtracked on the crossover thing big time since first saying they would be aiming for that( he as said now they will share the same universe, but won't be crossing over with each other). Seems likely to me that the FF & X-Men are separate deals and they can't just go crossing them over, least not without the mouses permission.

It's like a studio holding the rights to 2 novels by the same author. They can't just go doing a crossover between the books characters without the authors permission and without making a new deal for that.

If Fox do want their own extended universe where crossovers can happen with the FF (so they can have their own 'Avengers' down the line), I figure Disney are gonna make them pay for that privilege.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Assuming this thing does eventually get underway I would like a good movie but I do not expect one. Only a fool would actively wish for this film to fail. That it will likely do so anyway is beside the point.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Don't get too excited: Millar has backtracked on the crossover thing big time since first saying they would be aiming for that( he as said now they will share the same universe, but won't be crossing over with each other). Seems likely to me that the FF & X-Men are separate deals and they can't just go crossing them over, least not without the mouses permission.

It's like a studio holding the rights to 2 novels by the same author. They can't just go doing a crossover between the books characters without the authors permission and without making a new deal for that.

If Fox do want their own extended universe where crossovers can happen with the FF (so they can have their own 'Avengers' down the line), I figure Disney are gonna make them pay for that privilege.
Millar's "backtracking" didn't scream they can't legally cross them over to me. It just seemed like he brought something up they wanted to save for later. After all that's a crossover that would happen the earliest in three years.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Millar's "backtracking" didn't scream they can't legally cross them over to me. It just seemed like he brought something up they wanted to save for later. After all that's a crossover that would happen the earliest in three years.
Millars bactracking suggests he made an assumption that crossoving would be all fine and dandy, and the Lawyers soon advised him it wouldn't.

The Mouse is not like Marvel was back when Fox made FF2 (Pre Marvel Studios and pre Disney takeover). They aint so willing to accommodate flexibility on these deals and if the FF & X-Men are separate deals (and I see no reason to assume they are not) they are not just gonna let Fox have a freebie crossover event if the contracts do not already allow for it.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

I would never want an FF film to fail again.I have some hopes for this project.I mean there's no way this can be worst than the previous 2 (well 3) films.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:

Fox did cross over the FF with the Surfer with out any trouble - and those were two different options - so I would think they could do the same with the FF and the X-Men [they have already done this to a degree by mentioning Franklin Richards in X2 - or was it X1...]. Of course, I know the Surfer was introduced in the FF, but the Surfer was not a part of the FF option and yet they were still able to combine the two...

bubbadoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Fox did cross over the FF with the Surfer with out any trouble - and those were two different options - so I would think they could do the same with the FF and the X-Men [they have already done this to a degree by mentioning Franklin Richards in X2 - or was it X1...]. Of course, I know the Surfer was introduced in the FF, but the Surfer was not a part of the FF option and yet they were still able to combine the two...
That was pre Marvel Studios and pre Disney takeover though. Back then Marvel allowing SS and Galactus in FF2 did make sense, but since then the game has changed for all concerned.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Millars bactracking suggests he made an assumption that crossoving would be all fine and dandy, and the Lawyers soon advised him it wouldn't.
You're assuming legal action ever even came into play though.

And I remember the Wolverine cameo in the extended cut of the first film that went on sale as Rise of The Silver Surfer was released.

I don't think Marvel/Disney have any say in Fox's crossover plans. Vaughn and Kinberg's involvement with the reboot scream crossover to me in that the studio wants the same tone for both the X films and the FF. And Millar's getting paid. He wouldn't blatantly lie when under contract. I just think he got ahead of himself and they wanna save the surprise for when its closer to release.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
Donut
Side-Kick

I hope FOX keeps this in 2015. So that with all of the other stuff out in the year. This will no doubt be one of those movies that fails horribly. With people going to other movies instead. This has no chance in 2015. FOX will kill this movie themselves

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

there should be a third option... "hopes production fails and the film doesn't happen"

because that's what i want to fail. I want the rights back home, as much as i hope for a good film.. the info we've been getting just makes it all seem worse then the last bout. I'm welcome to being surprised... but in the grand scheme of things... This movie flopping may put a big delay on another reboot.. but it will still be a shorter amount of time to be at home with marvel, than if fox makes a decent enough film like last time, and it get's a sequel... (and then eventually fails)

I'm all for a great film, but Id still rather that great film be a part of the MCU than in the Fox/X-men universe.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

yarp.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
Dr. Evil
Gamora

This movie would have been put on the backburner had James Cameron got Avatar 2 done in time for a 2015 release.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
You're assuming legal action ever even came into play though.
I didn't say legal action did come into play. I suspect it was simply the Fox Lawyers being clued up on what they can and can't do, whereas Millar was simply making assumptions when he said this:

“Without question I think you have to see some of these guys showing up in each other’s movies. Of course they will be. I think the most exciting thing in superhero movies, until The Avengers came along, was when Nick Fury showed up in Iron Man. Even though it was a guy with an eye patch it was really cool – and I expect we will see more of that.”

Soon after he issued this retraction:
"I keep seeing 'news' that X-Men & FF movies are crossing over. No, they're not. They exist in same universe but movies stand alone."

That's a big step back from his prior announcement.

Quote:
And I remember the Wolverine cameo in the extended cut of the first film that went on sale as Rise of The Silver Surfer was released.
A deleted scene of Reed morphing into Logan for second isn't really a cameo. Its a deleted scene, never seen in the theatres (thankfully, as it was awful).

And again, this was all pre Marvel Studios and pre Disney takeover. The game has changed since then.

Before this marvel had no real aspiration at that time to make their own films, so allowing the SS & Galactus to appear in FF2 was for their mutual benefit.

But now that they are in the business big time themselves you can bet they are looking at every available opportunity to get back whatever they can from whatever studio still holds their properties, and they will be a lot less willing to allow anything that is not already allowed within the existing deals.

The Mouse is no lightweight in this regard, they are fiercely protective of their properties.

Quote:
I don't think Marvel/Disney have any say in Fox's crossover plans.
You dont' want them too, that much is evident. But logic suggests that is not the case at all.

Logic suggests the FF and X-Men would have been negotiated as separate properties and will have their own deals and conditions therein.

Quote:
Vaughn and Kinberg's involvement with the reboot scream crossover to me in that the studio wants the same tone for both the X films and the FF. And Millar's getting paid. He wouldn't blatantly lie when under contract.
Actually, I'm saying he was mistaken. If you are proven correct though you are saying he is blatantly lying (see above quote from the man himself)

Quote:
I just think he got ahead of himself and they wanna save the surprise for when its closer to release.
Getting ahead of himself I agree with. The surprise is non existent though after letting the cat out of the bag as to his intentions for a crossover
so early on.

So ask your self why has he backtracked since then?

For a surprise he has already spoiled, or because he has been told they can't just do whatever the hell they want by crossing over 2 separate deals?

Last edited by wobbly; 11-15-2013 at 11:56 AM.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
metaphysician
Side-Kick

If it actually gets made, I just hope it isn't awful. I don't think it has any prospect of being great, or even good; I just want it to not suck too badly.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #25
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
as much as i hope for a good film.. the info we've been getting just makes it all seem worse then the last bout.
What info? All we know is that Trank is directing, Vaughn is producing, the screenplay comes from Simon Kinberg, Jeremy Slater, Seth Grahame-Smith, Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz (Thor), its probably based on Ultimate FF judging by the casting, Miles Teller (Spectacular Now) and Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station) may be playing Reed and Johnny and Allison Williams (Girls) may be playing Sue.

Aside from the Ultimates bit, there's nothing above I can really pick on. I'd prefer 616 but it being based on the Ultimates doesn't ruin the movie for me. At all.