Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

View Poll Results: If Fox makes the film, I hope:
It is a great movie suited to these classic characters. 20 68.97%
I hope it is a bad movie and fails commercially. 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #76
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: Assuming Fox Will be Making this Film, What Outcome do You Hope for?

yeah... if this film is going to be primarily based off of Ultimate Fantastic Four with little trace of the 616 universe.. i gotta admit, i'd rather see this movie go down in flames at the box office. That's not my fantastic four... I don't care how good the film is.. I shutter to think of the possibility of a Ultimate Fantastic Four film that does very well, creates it's own strong franchise... and essentially destroys the 616 universe version. That terrifies me.

and before anyone says "that wont happen" It sure will.. the movies really do effect that comics... from Organic Webbing, Hawkeye and Cap's current outfits, Black Fury, and Loki looking more and more like movie loki as he ages... you sure bet it does.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #77
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Assuming Fox Will be Making this Film, What Outcome do You Hope for?

Jack Kirby's run on FF is the stuff of legends, it was what made the FF possibly some of my favorite heroes, where before i found them boring. However i wouldn't mind if they adapted Ultimate FF this time around, the main cast of characters was very likeable, which is rare for a Millar comic, though really don't want to see goat legged Dr.Doom.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #78
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
yeah... if this film is going to be primarily based off of Ultimate Fantastic Four with little trace of the 616 universe.. i gotta admit, i'd rather see this movie go down in flames at the box office. That's not my fantastic four... I don't care how good the film is.. I shutter to think of the possibility of a Ultimate Fantastic Four film that does very well, creates it's own strong franchise... and essentially destroys the 616 universe version. That terrifies me.

and before anyone says "that wont happen" It sure will.. the movies really do effect that comics... from Organic Webbing, Hawkeye and Cap's current outfits, Black Fury, and Loki looking more and more like movie loki as he ages... you sure bet it does.
In fairness, the current changes have at least come from their own movies.

Past ones, like the organic webbing (since discarded), Bullseye briefly being made to look and dress like the movie version (since discarded) and the X-Men taken out of costumes in favor of more movie like ones (since discarded) were all done pre-Marvel Studios.

So I dunno if Marvel today would be too willing to adapt their own FF to match whatever Fox end up doing here.

If they go as far as has been rumoured, it wouldn't be feasible anyway (Black Johnny? How do you go about changing that in the books?)

Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #79
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I would go beyond "unlikely." Given the fact that Marvel and Fox kind of hate each other, I find it unthinkable that Marvel would change anything in the comics to match with Fox-produced movies. To the contrary, they are introducing the Inhumanity event almost certainly in order to undermine Fox and set up their own mutant-substitutes.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #80
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
they are introducing the Inhumanity event

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #81
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
In the comics they are pushing the original Inhumans well beyond Attilan: In the recent 'Infinity' story the 'Terrigan mists' were released worldwide by Black Bolt & Maximus (destroying Attilan in the process) and any humans on the planet carrying the right gene have now mutated into Inhumans (that is the 'Inhumanity event').

So...The movie world will indeed have a viable alternative/substitute for mutants come Phase 3 (since Marvel have zero chance of getting the X-Men back anytime soon this push would tend to suggest that is what they have in mind).

Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #82
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Jack Kirby's run on FF is the stuff of legends, it was what made the FF possibly some of my favorite heroes, where before i found them boring. However i wouldn't mind if they adapted Ultimate FF this time around, the main cast of characters was very likeable, which is rare for a Millar comic, though really don't want to see goat legged Dr.Doom.
Since Kirby's FF run consisted of the first 102 issues, I assume you discovered the FF some time after that and then went back and found Jack's issues - but I agree with you that his if the FF that all others are measured by - it WAS the World's Greatest Comic Magazine during his run! John Byrne's run is a close second.

Like SO many comics - the creative team makes a huge impact on how much I like the book [and sometimes the character].

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #83
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
In the comics they are pushing the original Inhumans well beyond Attilan: In the recent 'Infinity' story the 'Terrigan mists' were released worldwide by Black Bolt & Maximus (destroying Attilan in the process) and any humans on the planet carrying the right gene have now mutated into Inhumans (that is the 'Inhumanity event').

So...The movie world will indeed have a viable alternative/substitute for mutants come Phase 3 (since Marvel have zero chance of getting the X-Men back anytime soon this push would tend to suggest that is what they have in mind).
Since Kirby introduced the Inhumans in the FF shortly after he left the X-Men I always took them as a fresh take on the "mutant" plot line that he and Stan were not quite finished with - so it makes sense that the movies would do the same...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #84
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Since Kirby's FF run consisted of the first 102 issues, I assume you discovered the FF some time after that and then went back and found Jack's issues - but I agree with you that his if the FF that all others are measured by - it WAS the World's Greatest Comic Magazine during his run! John Byrne's run is a close second.

Like SO many comics - the creative team makes a huge impact on how much I like the book [and sometimes the character].
I knew the movies and tried reading some comics, but i didn't like most. Then i started reading Jack Kirby's run and loved it, a lot of creativity in there, and while the writting is a little antiquated now, i really liked it.

Not sure if i'm gonna like John Byrne's run, but Hickman's run seems promising

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #85
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:

Ah, ok. My comics reading is a few years behind.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #86
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:

It also gives Marvel the ability to introduce new "born this way" superheroes while retaining their movie rights. Every new character without an elaborate origin story going forward will likely be powered by the Terrigen mists rather than the X gene.

Last edited by Zarex; 11-16-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #87
Shazam
Side-Kick

Hoping for a massive fail so it can go back to Marvel!

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #88
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Before they go all "Ultimate" FF on us, can they PLEASE get the classic Kirby version done the right way FIRST???

They screwed that up TWICE!!

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #89
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Before they go all "Ultimate" FF on us, can they PLEASE get the classic Kirby version done the right way FIRST???

They screwed that up TWICE!!
Because if they screw up again then Marvel will be able to do Kirby FF in a way that stays away from their films, since the characters will be portrayed as older

~*SHH SIX*~

Last edited by Lord; 11-17-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #90
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I have to wonder how much longer FOX has the rights to characters since it seems like forever ago since the last film.

Nvm, I guess till they probably have until 2017 since that would be 10 years since the sequel.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #91
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

If the film is written well, I hope it succeeds. It would be nice to have the team brought to the silver screen again. Having it fail would cause the franchise to go into suspended animation for an even longer time, which would hurt it, in the long run. Marvel Studios has their plate full; if they did acquire FF, I would anticipate it being in the backburner, as they have enough high-profile franchises to maintain, expand, or in some cases, introduce.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #92
Mr.M
Side-Kick

This movie is going to flop if it's 2015. Jurassic World, Terminator are due out in June. Even if one of those move to Memorial Day, you still are going to be sandwiched between the two biggest comicbook films to date. What is Fox thinking, I have no idea. The ceiling is probably Star Trek type numbers.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #93
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

If the ceiling is Star Trek type numbers, I'm fairly certain this movie is going to not have the budget that the Fantastic Four deserve.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #94
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
I have to wonder how much longer FOX has the rights to characters since it seems like forever ago since the last film.

Nvm, I guess till they probably have until 2017 since that would be 10 years since the sequel.
This has been a big question and this could be a real problem.

Since Rise of the Silver Surfer was out in 2007 and the next film is scheduled to be released 2015, Fox is allowed at least 8 years from release to release.

Some people seem to feel that if this movie bombs, Marvel will have a better film up very quickly thereafter, but why would we think the future process would be any different than what we've already seen?

It seems logical that if Fox makes a real stinker in 2015, that will extend their rights to at least 2023. Then . . . maybe Marvel will get the rights and decide to make a film (though they may just say: "This property is dead. Fox killed it. We'll focus on other characters).

But even if we assume they jump on it after the next expiration, that means a Marvel film might be coming out in 2025 at the earliest. That's a loooooong time to wait and that's under the best of circumstances. That's why, if Fox does move ahead with this, I have to hope they'll give us a good movie because I don't want to have to wait until 2025 for Marvel to do it right. . . maybe . . . if they feel like it at that point.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #95
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is my fear as well. Tim Story would be the only 616 version we probably would ever get. That's pretty sad.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #96
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

Yes, I hope it is good. I hope every film I watch is good, unfortunately some are not IMO.

Only a fanboy would say no.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #97
starscream22
Side-Kick

I was hoping for a great movie 10 years ago now I don't want Fox near it!

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #98
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post

Since Rise of the Silver Surfer was out in 2007 and the next film is scheduled to be released 2015, Fox is allowed at least 8 years from release to release.

Some people seem to feel that if this movie bombs, Marvel will have a better film up very quickly thereafter, but why would we think the future process would be any different than what we've already seen?

It seems logical that if Fox makes a real stinker in 2015, that will extend their rights to at least 2023. Then . . . maybe Marvel will get the rights and decide to make a film (though they may just say: "This property is dead. Fox killed it. We'll focus on other characters).

But even if we assume they jump on it after the next expiration, that means a Marvel film might be coming out in 2025 at the earliest. That's a loooooong time to wait and that's under the best of circumstances. That's why, if Fox does move ahead with this, I have to hope they'll give us a good movie because I don't want to have to wait until 2025 for Marvel to do it right. . . maybe . . . if they feel like it at that point.
That's why if Fox do go ahead I'd want them to get it right this time and for it do well. Effectively killing the franchise for a least another decade is not a desirable outcome.

Going all Ultimate with it though (Millar & Bendis approved of course...) would not be a step in the right direction, imo. Millar & Bendis are no Kirby & Lee. A case of 'Dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants' if ever there was one. 616 FF is still going, UFF isn't. Game over, thanks for playing.

Film could still do well of course, but it won't be the FF I'd want to see.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #99
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post

But... even if FOX make's a stinker ala Fan 4 #1... they could still deem it profitable enough to do a sequel... potentially making another "eh" film, basically a repeat of what already happened... and thus they've FURTHER extended their rights.

this film tanking, is the best way possible at the moment (and soonest, unless this film isnt even ever made) to get a quality 616 based Fantastic Four film, by having Marvel bring it home.

I don't really care how good an Ultimate Fantastic Four film is... It wont be the characters and interpretations i already know and love. So i'd rather that franchise burn to the ground

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #100
starscream22
Side-Kick

Quote:
But... even if FOX make's a stinker ala Fan 4 #1... they could still deem it profitable enough to do a sequel... potentially making another "eh" film, basically a repeat of what already happened... and thus they've FURTHER extended their rights.

this film tanking, is the best way possible at the moment (and soonest, unless this film isnt even ever made) to get a quality 616 based Fantastic Four film, by having Marvel bring it home.

I don't really care how good an Ultimate Fantastic Four film is... It wont be the characters and interpretations i already know and love. So i'd rather that franchise burn to the ground
All Disney has to do is add an Incredibles cameo to that film they already have in production for the same release date. Fox is asking for a fight by changing to that release date anyway. So why not go for the big guns???

Just like others have pointed out, X-men is a lost cause, Fox and the people who like their version can have it. But FF may still have a fighting chance at Marvel Studio's.

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote