The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: What do YOU think Thor Dark World will do?
500 Million 8 7.08%
550 Million 10 8.85%
600 Million 10 8.85%
650 Million 10 8.85%
700 Million 17 15.04%
750 Million 16 14.16%
800 Million 22 19.47%
850 Million 8 7.08%
900 Million 3 2.65%
950 Million 1 0.88%
1 Billion plus 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #51
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I've been to a few of those in N.J. back in the 80's some are SMALL screens even tho there are more of them to view on.
Well now we have huge multiplexes with giant screens, best of both worlds!
The AMC's in Paramus, Clifton, and Rockaway up near me are all gigantic with big beautiful screens

Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #52
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
It is dropping off the face of the planet domestically. Damn, those numbers are horrible.
I expected a 70% Sunday to Monday drop at worst. I know the movie is going to go up today and a lot this weekend but it's still going to drop over 50%. Your movie can't have low weeekdays and 50% drops on the weekends.

What if Hunger Games does 190mil (I'm predicting 170mil right now) and leaves The Dark World with a Hellboy 2 up against The Dark Knight style drop? (HB2 dropped over 70%).

Box office mojo and Box office guru say that it's heading for about 250mil and I just don't see it even with the Holidays. Maybe it will and they know something that I don't.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #53
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I expected a 70% Sunday to Monday drop at worst. I know the movie is going to go up today and a lot this weekend but it's still going to drop over 50%. Your movie can't have low weeekdays and 50% drops on the weekends.

What if Hunger Games does 190mil (I'm predicting 170mil right now) and leaves The Dark World with a Hellboy 2 up against The Dark Knight style drop? (HB2 dropped over 70%).

Box office mojo and Box office guru say that it's heading for about 250mil and I just don't see it even with the Holidays. Maybe it will and they know something that I don't.

It will have to pull in huge weekend numbers because it sure as heck aint gonna do it by its weekday numbers. Best man beat it again today and beat it on friday. It posted lesser numbers than original thor at same time for sunday and monday. How they figure 250 million is beyond me.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #54
warriorking
Side-Kick

Still running about half the daily Skyfall numbers for the same period...It will be a slow process but it will probably top out at 230 Million.
We are still looking at 550 to 600 Million world wide...
Very respectable numbers...
Weekend numbers will rise to probably 20 Million...
It won't break 200 Million till the end of Thanksgiving day weekend at the earliest..
We kind of live in the past judging domestic totals as the deciding factor for a movies success.
Those days are over considering the huge Worldwide market out there..
Marvel considers TDW a huge Hit.
Thor 3 is set in stone...We can rejoice in that..

Last edited by warriorking; 11-19-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #55
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:

Mojo adjusted downards to 225 when actuals came in. If TDW follows Thor exactly from here, it ends with 206M.

It's second weekend was only 1.8M more than Thor's second weekend despite opening 20M bigger. And this weekend will have a big drop as well. Thanksgiving will help it, but Thor had memorial day at the same time.

The bigger issue facing TDW is that the family audience it seeks is the same audience which will show up for Catching Fire and Frozen on back to back weeks.

Skyfall will not be a proper comparison anymore because Thanksgiving was on Skyfall's 3rd weekend which helped it earn 35M (where as TDW will probably top out at 17M this weekend at max).

TDW has also fallen behind the pace of X2 which ended at 215M (X2 was 4M behind TDW last Monday and is 3M in front now).

Looking at all past comparisons, it seems like TDW will end between 195-205M.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #56
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

SkyFall did 4mil on it's comparable Monday and this movie did 2.2mil, that's 45% less. It's not a perfect match but close enough. I still go back and forth on projections because Thanksgiving is great for movies but I don't think it's going to do as well as SkyFall did last year. I guess I could see 230mil.

Oh and I'm not arguing it's not a hit because it is a hit, I'm just examining the numbers. The international numbers are great and the domestic has been decent so far. I like Chris Hemsworth and wish him tons of success so I'm not rooting for failure.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #57
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
Still running about half the daily Skyfall numbers for the same period...It will be a slow process but it will probably top out at 230 Million.
We are still looking at 550 to 600 Million world wide...
Very respectable numbers...
Weekend numbers will rise to probably 20 Million...
It won't break 200 Million till the end of Thanksgiving day weekend at the earliest..
I really thought thor would make more money I had my prediction at no less than 750-900 ww
what is this world coming to we finally get two really good superhero flims that have done it right me.
man of steel and ttdw and with the childhood action we all been waiting for and none of the 2 makes close to what the most boring superhero flims make.
Dont get me wrong the nolan flims was good but boring lack of action im3 was not a good superhero flim and the avengers didnt have as much action as those 2 flims yet know one supports them as they should
and judge them fairly as superhero flims and not love/comedy/drama/suspense/minor action.
ttdw and MOS took things to the next level action wise and and both of them will be at the bottom of the top ww grossing movies of '13

Last edited by dalonewolf; 11-19-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #58
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
SkyFall did 4mil on it's comparable Monday and this movie did 2.2mil, that's 45% less. It's not a perfect match but close enough. I still go back and forth on projections because Thanksgiving is great for movies but I don't think it's going to do as well as SkyFall did last year. I guess I could see 230mil.

Oh and I'm not arguing it's not a hit because it is a hit, I'm just examining the numbers. The international numbers are great and the domestic has been decent so far. I like Chris Hemsworth and wish him tons of success so I'm not rooting for failure.
If the domestic numbers hold, it isn't good. The film is a great success internationally however. But the domestic numbers, if they hold, are kinda bad.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #59
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
Mojo adjusted downards to 225 when actuals came in. If TDW follows Thor exactly from here, it ends with 206M.

It's second weekend was only 1.8M more than Thor's second weekend despite opening 20M bigger. And this weekend will have a big drop as well. Thanksgiving will help it, but Thor had memorial day at the same time.

The bigger issue facing TDW is that the family audience it seeks is the same audience which will show up for Catching Fire and Frozen on back to back weeks.

Skyfall will not be a proper comparison anymore because Thanksgiving was on Skyfall's 3rd weekend which helped it earn 35M (where as TDW will probably top out at 17M this weekend at max).

TDW has also fallen behind the pace of X2 which ended at 215M (X2 was 4M behind TDW last Monday and is 3M in front now).

Looking at all past comparisons, it seems like TDW will end between 195-205M.
I didn't realize mojo adjusted down to 225mil. And your right SkyFall isn't a perfect match because of the Holiday. Smart and interesting analysis but I still think it will crawl to 215mil at least. Only because after this weekend I think it will stabalize and have a decent run. It's the only pure boys movie in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
If the domestic numbers hold, it isn't good. The film is a great success internationally however. But the domestic numbers, if they hold, are kinda bad.
I guess I just don't see it being as bad as you do because I didn't expect the movie to do as well as some people in here. For a while now I've been expecting it to be the 3rd highest grossing comicbook movie of 2013 domestically. If it did under 190mil I would have been surprised.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 11-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #60
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didn't realize mojo adjusted down to 225mil. And your right SkyFall isn't a perfect match because of the Holiday. Smart and interesting analysis but I still think it will crawl to 215mil at least. Only because after this weekend I think it will stabalize and have a decent run. It's the only pure boys movie in town.

I guess I just don't see it being as bad as you do because I didn't expect the movie to do as well as some people in here. For a while now I've been expecting it to be the 3rd highest grossing comicbook movie of 2013 domestically. If it did under 190mil I would have been surprised.
Once the actuals came in Ray updated the article: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3753&p=.htm

Quote:
In its second weekend, Thor added $36.6 million for a 10-day total of $145.1 million. That's down 57 percent from opening, which is much steeper than the first Thor's decline (47 percent). It is at least on par with Iron Man 3 (58 percent), and is also a slight improvement over other Marvel titles like Captain America and The Incredible Hulk. It's currently on pace for a final domestic tally north of $225 million.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #61
insideguy
Banned User

Catching fire is getting pretty consistent reviews with 57 votes in on RT its at 93 percent. Of course early reviews on these movies always seem to be good. But if it gets these types of reviews Hunger Games is going to explode this weekend opening in 4100 theaters, I dont know what Thor scrapes up.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #62
warriorking
Side-Kick

I say everyone who can please go see TDW at least one time and bring as many friends or family members with you during the Thanksgiving day holiday...

Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #63
Wolverine's Run
Side-Kick

I wonder if this will make Marvel more cautious to open movies outside of summer, or at least outside of April through August.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #64
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Why would the November release date have hurt the film?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #65
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

$2.2 M Monday. Starting to look like more of a barely make it to $200 M domestic movie than a $230 M one. Though at this point, it doesn't matter. It's already in sequel range.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #66
superion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I
Those predictions probably came before the film opened. Once the weekdays drops came in after the first weekend everybody needed to adjust their expectations.

I guess TDW struggles should not be a surprise. At the end of the day it just shows there are still only a handful of solo superheroes who have really broken out Superman, Batman, Spider-man and Iron Man. The first three were predictable, they have always been the most popular. Iron Man is the unusual case.

Even Wolverine who has been extremely popular in comics and has a popular actor playing him saw its domestic box office crash despite better critical reviews for the second film.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #67
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine's Run View Post
I wonder if this will make Marvel more cautious to open movies outside of summer, or at least outside of April through August.
It wouldnt have made any difference .
It's still the same movie and Thor is still the least known MCU character introduced so far .

Last edited by Mysteryman; 11-19-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #68
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Who would've thought, pre-MCU, a C-list character like Thor could compete with a Superman franchise worldwide.

That should be marked as a major success in my book.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #69
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

To me dates dont matter if a movie goer wants to see a movie or anyone else
they will go and see it no matter the time u have summer flops u have winter flops
and thor didn't flop but he should have blown the top off witH a sequel and Avengers boost
its clear only real comic books fans enjoy real comic book movies
the rest of the world love the crap we comic book fan really dont enjoy
Known Fact

Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #70
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Who would've thought, pre-MCU, a C-list character like Thor could compete with a Superman franchise worldwide.

Thor always had potential.
Asgard and The Nine Worlds are a great backdrop for many rich stories.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #71
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:

Honestly I would have thought. It was released after Iron Man made 400 million domestic and Avengers made 600 million domestic. It was released after the first film made 181 million domestic. It was released at a good time with little competition. Pretty much none in its genre. I would be curious who predicted box office domestic in the low 200 million area.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #72
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
To me dates dont matter if a movie goer wants to see a movie or anyone else
they will go and see it no matter the time u have summer flops u have winter flops
and thor didn't flop but he should have blown the top off witH a sequel and Avengers boost
its clear only real comic books fans enjoy real comic book movies
the rest of the world love the crap we comic book fan really dont enjoy
Known Fact
The Avengers was a real comic book movie,
And THE WORLD turned it into the 3rd biggest release of all time.
And a lot of those people who made it successful were not comic book fans .

Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #73
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

If anything the competitive summer would have hurt the movie overseas and domestically. It's going to end with 650-700mil. A successful number.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #74
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:

Thor competition is not superman its hunger games which was tracking at 185 on 10/31 source? Google
thor is a sequel and an Avenger Man of Steel is a reboot and should be compared better to the rest of the reboot and plus superman was coming off a failure (SR) 6years before
and made 667mil with way more competition than thor will ever have this holiday
mu
wwz
the heat
This is the end
white house down
All of these movies plus more effected mos for real
if mos had 2 weeks before wwz and mu it would have made 315-350dom easily
and a lil more over foreign putting it at max 800 but most likely 720-750

Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #75
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
The Avengers was a real comic book movie,
And THE WORLD turned it into the 3rd biggest release of all time.
And a lot of those people who made it successful were not comic book fans .
To be honest I liked the avengers the but wish it had more action
but if the avengers had competition I dont think it would have made as much money
why?
Its clear to my marvel makes the money I wont take that form them but both of thier biggest grossing fims have opened with no competition
I was wondering if thor would even hold up against a competition and with hunger games tracking north of 150 dom and who knows ww
Hgcf will out gross thor in a week or 10 days
Im guessing here
but can thor keep its legs after this weekend
Everyone here is saying 600-700ww
im saying 500-600ww

Closed Thread