The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: What do YOU think Thor Dark World will do?
500 Million 8 7.08%
550 Million 10 8.85%
600 Million 10 8.85%
650 Million 10 8.85%
700 Million 17 15.04%
750 Million 16 14.16%
800 Million 22 19.47%
850 Million 8 7.08%
900 Million 3 2.65%
950 Million 1 0.88%
1 Billion plus 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #751
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions - Part 1

But it increased 40% globally from the original.

That's clearly a success.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #752
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

I guess we'll have to put down Marvel Studio's experiment in releasing their brand in times other than summer as so far inconclusive. Yeah, it definitely expanded from the first, but that was pretty well always going to happen. Would it have made another $100M WW if it had been released in summer or the same amount it ended up making or less? No way to know but at least the experiment didn't have any definite negative effects(like bombing) so it was at least worth the try just to see what would happen, IMO. I only wish we had go more conclusive results. It still did the typical sequel thing of opening bigger but dropping faster. Maybe if it had opened two weeks later with it and Hunger Games switching opening dates it would have been closer to take more advantage of holiday season bumps. Oh well. By the end of this weekend it'll have passed the biggest stand alone phase 1 MCU film(IM2) at the WW box office so in that phase 2's streak continues.

A half year ago or so I predicted that all the stand alone phase 2 films would be bigger WW than the biggest of the phase 1 stand alones with the exception of GotG(because it is more unknown and not a sequel). All I need now is for Cap2 to make at least $625M WW and that will seal the deal. Of course I'd love for GotG to surprise and blow up beyond IM2's WW #'s as well, but I don't have much confidence in it doing THAT well(though it'll still be a hit, I think).

Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #753
insideguy
Banned User

WOW box office mojo was so far off on its estimates for Anchorman I kinda have to lose some respect for them. They were predicting a 50 million dollar weekend. It looks like it will bring in 40. Still great for a comedy but geez where did they get those numbers?

Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #754
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
WOW box office mojo was so far off on its estimates for Anchorman I kinda have to lose some respect for them. They were predicting a 50 million dollar weekend. It looks like it will bring in 40. Still great for a comedy but geez where did they get those numbers?
lolwut? Losing respect for someone's opinion of what a film might make. They over predicted. It happens.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #755
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
lolwut? Losing respect for someone's opinion of what a film might make. They over predicted. It happens.
Thats a pretty big over prediction. Just sayin And actually they were predicting it was gonna be at 60 million after the weekend. That is a very big over prediction.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #756
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Box Office Mojo made a prediction and like a lot of predictions they were wrong. I've made terrible predictions as well, everyone has. It happens.

That being said I personally didn't understand the 60mil 5 day prediction because usually BOM are more cautious and don't allow themselves to be caught up in a media blitz.

Movies have long legs in December so the opening is really quite good. The movie came out far too late for it to be posting a 60mil 5 day opening though.

Also it had to contend with The Hobbit and American Hustle. BOM are usually far better than I am at predicting the box office. I didn't even formally predict it so I wasn't right or wrong.

Anyway so The Dark World hit the 200mil milestone. That's good. The movie did very well overall and I think (although many will disagree with me) about as well as can be expected. The international numbers are where it really shined. Still 200+mil domestically isn't anything to scoff at.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #757
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Box Office Mojo made a prediction and like a lot of predictions they were wrong. I've made terrible predictions as well, everyone has. It happens.

That being said I personally didn't understand the 60mil 5 day prediction because usually BOM are more cautious and don't allow themselves to be caught up in a media blitz.

Movies have long legs in December so the opening is really quite good. The movie came out far too late for it to be posting a 60mil 5 day opening though.

Also it had to contend with The Hobbit and American Hustle. BOM are usually far better than I am at predicting the box office. I didn't even formally predict it so I wasn't right or wrong.

Anyway so The Dark World hit the 200mil milestone. That's good. The movie did very well overall and I think (although many will disagree with me) about as well as can be expected. The international numbers are where it really shined. Still 200+mil domestically isn't anything to scoff at.
Totally agree..
Very few movies crossed the 200 Million Domestic this year with even less crossing the 600M WW mark...
We can hold our heads high...

Old 12-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #758
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:

200 million for thor is very good. Around exactly where I said it would finish. Was it huge? Naa. At the same time I think the whole avengers and iron man situation inflated expectations to almost ridiculous levels and made people look like rabid fanboy dogs. Many Many predicted much higher domestic take. And yea looking at those anchorman predictions after what you said I dont know where that came from either. Its a comedy and a popular one and it has done very well but opening at 60 million? I think the guy at box office mojo hit the wrong number on his key board

Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #759
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

The Iron Man 3 comparisons were always unfair. Every movie this year is a failure if you are comparing it to that film.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #760
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Wow it took this long for this film to cross the $200 million mark in the U.S.
So it hit 200M at the start of it's 7th week, so what? Many movies don't hit that, much less comic-based movies.

The Wolverine didn't even come close to that after 19 weeks, still many of us enjoyed it enough to buy the DVD/Bluray.

Last edited by Tymminator; 12-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #761
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
The Iron Man 3 comparisons were always unfair. Every movie this year is a failure if you are comparing it to that film.
Cept hunger games which I still say is going to pass it domestic Which if it does would be amazing considering its release date and no 3d. It is now the 2nd biggest movie of the year and if it can hold up well over x-mas break it could pass it.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #762
Tymminator

Quote:
Cept hunger games which I still say is going to pass it domestic Which if it does would be amazing considering its release date and no 3d. It is now the 2nd biggest movie of the year and if it can hold up well over x-mas break it could pass it.
Hehehehehe.......

Old 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #763
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
I don't see CF passing Iron Man 3 domestically and of course it's going to end with 400mil less internationally. I include it in the "everything would be a failure file." lol. Well everything except Despicable Me 2 and The Hobbit 2.

I do find it awesome that the female led genre film had better reviews than all of these comicbook movies and is going to outgross all but one of them worldwide.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #764
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
I don't see CF passing Iron Man 3 domestically and of course it's going to end with 400mil less internationally. I include it in the "everything would be a failure file." lol. Well everything except Despicable Me 2 and The Hobbit 2.

I do find it awesome that the female led genre film had better reviews than all of these comicbook movies and is going to outgross all but one of them worldwide.
LOL no way! And why hobbit 2 not a failure because of its overseas numbers? Fast and furious 6 would also be considered a huge success with those overseas numbers. It is pretty neat to see how some of these movies play so well overseas. I can see why hobbit 2 does, but fast and furious? Just interesting.

Last edited by insideguy; 12-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #765
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
Hehehehehe.......

Its gonna do it Its gonna do it

Old 12-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #766
Tymminator

Quote:
Its gonna do it Its gonna do it

Old 12-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #767
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
X-mas break is the keyyyyyyyy. Its holding a pretty good theater count. Still ahead of last hg which grossed as much as IM3 domestic. I have the faith!

Old 12-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #768
Tymminator

Quote:
X-mas break is the keyyyyyyyy. Its holding a pretty good theater count. Still ahead of last hg which grossed as much as IM3 domestic. I have the faith!
It will get a boost, a lot of movies will, but it won't be enough at this point, it's dropped too much.

Still, it's cool you are sticking to the end.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #769
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
It will get a boost, a lot of movies will, but it won't be enough at this point, it's dropped too much.

Still, it's cool you are sticking to the end.
Katniss didnt give up and neither will I What are we supposed to call each other again ?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #770
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
LOL no way! And why hobbit 2 not a failure because of its overseas numbers? Fast and furious 6 would also be considered a huge success with those overseas numbers. It is pretty neat to see how some of these movies play so well overseas. I can see why hobbit 2 does, but fast and furious? Just interesting.
FF has a lot of untapped appeal because of it's diverse cast. And it took years to build up the fanbase. I'm just picking movies that did and are going to do over 900mil, that's why I didn't have FF6 on the list eventhough it's a huge smash.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #771
Tymminator

Quote:
Katniss didnt give up and neither will I What are we supposed to call each other again ?
The loser of this bet has to have as a signature for a whole month "(insert name of winner) is my favorite SHH poster! "

I want to add, I think it should be a good sized font and and be super colorful.

Again, all in fun.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #772
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
The loser of this bet has to have as a signature for a whole month "(insert name of winner) is my favorite SHH poster! "

I want to add, I think it should be a good sized font and and be super colorful.

Again, all in fun.

LOL cool I am looking forward to seeing my name whenever you post

Old 12-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #773
Tymminator

Quote:
LOL cool I am looking forward to seeing my name whenever you post
Hehehehehehehehehe

Old 12-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #774
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Quote:
Thats a pretty big over prediction. Just sayin And actually they were predicting it was gonna be at 60 million after the weekend. That is a very big over prediction.
Quote:
200 million for thor is very good. Around exactly where I said it would finish. Was it huge? Naa. At the same time I think the whole avengers and iron man situation inflated expectations to almost ridiculous levels and made people look like rabid fanboy dogs. Many Many predicted much higher domestic take. And yea looking at those anchorman predictions after what you said I dont know where that came from either. Its a comedy and a popular one and it has done very well but opening at 60 million? I think the guy at box office mojo hit the wrong number on his key board
Really? Really? You're going to come in here again and chastise people for over predicting and again conveniently skate over the fact that you predicted "easily $500m US" for Catching Fire? Really?

The air must be really thin up on that high horse.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks
Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #775
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Really? Really? You're going to come in here again and chastise people for over predicting and again conveniently skate over the fact that you predicted "easily $500m US" for Catching Fire? Really?

The air must be really thin up on that high horse.
LOL I still say its going to be the biggest of the year! And I dont have access to numbers that box office mojo dudes do so over predicting a weekend that badly by those guys is pathetic. They didnt just over predict the whole gross of the movie they over predicted an opening by 20 million. Thats not normal for them.

Closed Thread