The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: What do YOU think Thor Dark World will do?
500 Million 8 7.08%
550 Million 10 8.85%
600 Million 10 8.85%
650 Million 10 8.85%
700 Million 17 15.04%
750 Million 16 14.16%
800 Million 22 19.47%
850 Million 8 7.08%
900 Million 3 2.65%
950 Million 1 0.88%
1 Billion plus 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #951
insideguy
Banned User

Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I disagree completely. I'd say they've got most of them right(Killian/Mandarin and Malekith not withstanding). The thing is with MCU films the villain is usually not allowed to outshine the hero. Loki is the only one who comes closest to doing that. And I prefer it that way. Much better IMO than the way most other studios do it by having the villain carry the film/steal the scenes because the hero(s) aren't as interesting as they should be. At the end of the day, it's the hero(s) I came to see more than just a new villain. They're the one's who's name is in the title. That's probably why I prefer most MCU villains to any other comic book super-villains in film. They do their job within the story rather than trying to bust out and hog the movie to it's detriment.
I agree with you to a point. But some villains need to be iconic. One guy said abomination I guess that true. I mean abomination doesnt have a tone of depth and they pretty much made him what he was. The iron man villains with the exception of sam rockwell as hammer were all not so great. And I agree about Killian. But really Iron man villains are not all that great anyway. Now when i say some villains need to be Iconic I am picking out the Red Skull. He is a great bad guy and came across in CA as just a generic bad guy. He is Caps greatest enemy and one of marvels greatest bad guys. In my opinion he should and could have been much more. So that is easily my biggest disappointment. Now that is not to say it cant be corrected so we will see.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #952
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

as of the 12th
Domestic: $203,931,000 32.3% + Foreign: $427,000,000 67.7% = Worldwide: $630,931,000

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #953
warriorking
Side-Kick

Like the energizer bunny......Its still going....
Japan will open Feb 1st...So add at least another 10 Million to the WW numbers... A little taste of trailers running in Japan..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-SKMrq9QY

Last edited by warriorking; 01-13-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #954
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
Like the energizer bunny......Its still going....
Japan will open Feb 1st...So add at least another 10 Million to the WW numbers... A little taste of trailers running in Japan..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-SKMrq9QY
A pretty different kind of trailer. It pretty much went step by step with the movie for a while and seems to tell more about the movie than our trailers did. I'm happy ours didn't go that route.

I also noticed a shot of Hogun where he looks to throw/shoot some energy thing off his bracer, which I can't remember seeing before. I would assume it's just a shot used in the trailer to draw a bit more attention to the Asian actor, but I guess I wouldn't be completely surprised if they included some extra shots of him in the movie either.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #955
warriorking
Side-Kick

More juicy shots to look forward to in the deleted scenes...

Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #956
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

For ONCE I wish they'd make an EXTENDED version that includes the deleted scenes.

....to every King.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #957
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
For ONCE I wish they'd make an EXTENDED version that includes the deleted scenes.
Yeah, it would be cool to see it done just as fan service when they've already gotten the money from the efficient cut.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #958
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Boxoffice.com has 428.4mil internationally. They update more than box office mojo on the international front.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #959
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

So what are everyone's Japan predictions? Is doubling Thor 1 a possibility?

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #960
warriorking
Side-Kick

I would say its a very good possibility it will reach 10Million if not more....
Of course my predictions have not been very accurate, but I still think 10Million is a good bet..
On the domestic end looks like Wednesday numbers should put TDW over the 204 Million mark

Last edited by warriorking; 01-15-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #961
warriorking
Side-Kick

We have now crossed 204Million..
$204,014,660

Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #962
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
The thing is with MCU films the villain is usually not allowed to outshine the hero. Loki is the only one who comes closest to doing that. And I prefer it that way. Much better IMO than the way most other studios do it by having the villain carry the film/steal the scenes because the hero(s) aren't as interesting as they should be. At the end of the day, it's the hero(s) I came to see more than just a new villain. They're the one's who's name is in the title. That's probably why I prefer most MCU villains to any other comic book super-villains in film. They do their job within the story rather than trying to bust out and hog the movie to it's detriment.
It's not about them having to outshine the hero. Simply because none of the them have been particularly well written or memorable besides Loki. That's no excuse to not have a compelling villain to challenge the hero.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #963
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
It's not about them having to outshine the hero. Simply because none of the them have been particularly well written or memorable besides Loki. That's no excuse to not have a compelling villain to challenge the hero.
Other than Malekith which was sort of a waste of space and Killian/Mandarin which was an insult, I've found most of the rest if not all to be well written and quite memorable. And they did challenge the heroes. I really don't get the complaint at all.

I have an inner child. Not an inner teenager.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #964
BoredGuy
Killing Time

^^Whiplash, anybody? and Hammer, for that matter??
(and for the record, I liked Killian)

also Red Skull was a tad underdeveloped for many viewers

Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #965
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

Obediah was pretty flat as well.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #966
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

I kind of liked hammer. I mean he wasnt like the hammer in the comic book but he was entertaining

Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #967
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Getting the perfect balance between hero and villain in superhero movies seems really hard. Other than Thor/Loki and Magneto/Xavier I don't know if I think any have really gotten it just right. Maybe Spider-Man/Doc Ock as well, but I'm not sure if there wasn't too much negative Spidey in that one.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #968
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Getting the perfect balance between hero and villain in superhero movies seems really hard. Other than Thor/Loki and Magneto/Xavier I don't know if I think any have really gotten it just right. Maybe Spider-Man/Doc Ock as well, but I'm not sure if there wasn't too much negative Spidey in that one.

I dont think we are talking about getting a perfect balance between hero and villain. We are talking about having a good compelling villain.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #969
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Exactly. The idea that you need to make your villain generic and boring so as to not upstage your hero is ridiculous imo. The Joker juxtaposes Batman. It is there nature. That people people really enjoy the character is not a bad thing. It is the same with Luke and Vader.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #970
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
I dont think we are talking about getting a perfect balance between hero and villain. We are talking about having a good compelling villain.
The best thing is to have both in my view. For example, while Ledger made a fantastic Joker I didn't really care about Batman in that movie. I just waited for more Joker stuff, although I'm sure there's lots of people that don't share my view on that.

Just as I don't agree that someone like the Mandarin wasn't memorable, as some in this thread have stated. That twist is imo one of the more memorable things in superhero movies, regardless whether you liked it.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #971
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
The best thing is to have both in my view. For example, while Ledger made a fantastic Joker I didn't really care about Batman in that movie. I just waited for more Joker stuff, although I'm sure there's lots of people that don't share my view on that.

Just as I don't agree that someone like the Mandarin wasn't memorable, as some in this thread have stated. That twist is imo one of the more memorable things in superhero movies, regardless whether you liked it.
By definition Loki over shadowed Thor. Pretty much why he is in every movie Thor is in. Does not mean that Loki isnt a great bad guy. The Joker may have over shadowed Batman in both movies. But really thats kind of the nature of the Joker. I think Ras and Scarecrow were great in Batman begins but no one can say that they over shadowed Batman in that movie. They were interesting bad guys and not cookie cutter villains. Mostly I dont have a problem with marvel villains in the movies. Like I said Iron Mans bad guy gallery isnt exactly great to begin with and RDJ is such a great actor you almost need to focus on him. I keep going back to the red skull which was wasted beyond belief. Hopefully that gets corrected in the future.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #972
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
By definition Loki over shadowed Thor. Pretty much why he is in every movie Thor is in. Does not mean that Loki isnt a great bad guy. The Joker may have over shadowed Batman in both movies. But really thats kind of the nature of the Joker. I think Ras and Scarecrow were great in Batman begins but no one can say that they over shadowed Batman in that movie. They were interesting bad guys and not cookie cutter villains. Mostly I dont have a problem with marvel villains in the movies. Like I said Iron Mans bad guy gallery isnt exactly great to begin with and RDJ is such a great actor you almost need to focus on him. I keep going back to the red skull which was wasted beyond belief. Hopefully that gets corrected in the future.
For me I don't agree about Thor and Loki. They are at their best when they are together, just as I think with Professor X and Magneto. For me those are the two best balanced high quality couplings.

I wouldn't say that overshadowing is a sign of not being a great bad guy, I think it happens because hes a great bad guy and that the hero doesn't match up. With Iron Man it becomes the opposite since it's very hard for a villain to keep up with that, although it's really only Whiplash I feel should have gotten more time.

Batman Begins was the movie where I cared the most about Batman in the trilogy, but I wished they had used Scarecrow more. There was a lot of potential there, more than with Ra's imo (on an individual level), but he never got to do much or delve much into the nice horror imagery they created.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #973
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Lets be fair. You don't think a big reason why you think that is because you are a Thor fan? Just look at the Avengers.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 01-19-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #974
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Lets be fair. You don't think a big reason why you think that is because you are a Thor fan? Just look at the Avengers.
Having prior interest in the characters certainly help, which is why I'm being very clear about this being a subjective issue. I've seen my opinion reflected with plenty of people that aren't Thor fans (or even superhero or comic fans) though, both in people I meet and seen on the web, so it's not an exclusive opinion for guys like me.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #975
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Can't believe our theater still has TDW

....to every King.

Closed Thread