The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: What do YOU think Thor Dark World will do?
500 Million 8 7.08%
550 Million 10 8.85%
600 Million 10 8.85%
650 Million 10 8.85%
700 Million 17 15.04%
750 Million 16 14.16%
800 Million 22 19.47%
850 Million 8 7.08%
900 Million 3 2.65%
950 Million 1 0.88%
1 Billion plus 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #151
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions - Part 1

Less than 181 million for TDW?
NO WAY!
Wait until the end of the weekend before we panic ,OK?

Last edited by Mysteryman; 11-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #152
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Thor 2 should get a nice bump from the holidays.
I agree 100%.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #153
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

It could do 17mil this weekend so 170mil after this weekend isn't out of the question. I'm thinking 16mil though. So either way it's going to be super close to 170mil. It's a lock to pass the original Thor so lets not engage in hyperbole. Also it has Thanksgiving coming up. It's still looking at 215-225mil IMHO.

Not groundbreaking numbers but just fine.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 11-22-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #154
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Less than 181 million for TDW?
NO WAY!
Wait until the end of the weekend before we panic ,OK?
I am not saying it will but these weekday numbers suck. Hell since sunday they havent been good. I dont know anymore. I think your right it wont be below 181 but man HG and the holidays could help it or HG and Frozen during the holidays could bury it.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #155
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
I am not saying it will but these weekday numbers suck. Hell since sunday they havent been good. I dont know anymore. I think your right it wont be below 181 but man HG and the holidays could help it or HG and Frozen during the holidays could bury it.
Yeah the weekday numbers have been fairly lousy. It has to make up ground on the weekends.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #156
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It could do 17mil this weekend so 170mil after this weekend isn't out of the question. I'm thinking 16mil though. So either way it's going to be super close to 170mil. It's a lock to pass the original Thor so lets not engage in hyperbole. Also it has Thanksgiving coming up. It's still looking at 215-225mil IMHO.

Not groundbreaking numbers but just fine.
I dont see how it gets to 215 to 225. Maybe the thanksgiving weekend could help it there. But Frozen is coming to. Only so many people are going to be heading to the theater, HG this week and frozen next week are going to be brutal. HG has an 89% on RT right now which is pretty damn good. So word of mouth is going to be good for it as well. And Frozen has good word of mouth as well.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #157
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah the weekday numbers have been fairly lousy. It has to make up ground on the weekends.
And tracking those numbers against skyfall just shows how popular skyfall was. Skyfall was pulling in 7 million bucks a day during the weekday. Amazing.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #158
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Those weekday numbers were the result of the Holliday last year but no doubt SkyFall has better word of mouth than The Dark World. After this weekend it's going to be running like 49-51mil behind SkyFall.

And yes Frozen is going to steal 3D screens away just like CF is steal IMAX away. It's going to seriously have to worry about theaters because the loss of them is what's really going to be tough in the coming weeks.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #159
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Those weekday numbers were the result of the Holliday last year but no doubt SkyFall has better word of mouth than The Dark World. After this weekend it's going to be running like 49-51mil behind SkyFall.

And yes Frozen is going to steal 3D screens away just like CF is steal IMAX away. It's going to seriously have to worry about theaters because the loss of them is what's really going to be tough in the coming weeks.
Funny you should say that because when I got my HGCF tickets a while ago a saw thor down to one 3-d showing for 4:30 in a theater of 20

Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #160
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
And tracking those numbers against skyfall just shows how popular skyfall was. Skyfall was pulling in 7 million bucks a day during the weekday. Amazing.
Skyfall was the 50th anniversary of Bond , that had a lot to do with its success .

Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #161
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Skyfall was the 50th anniversary of Bond , that had a lot to do with its success .

If you think the average person who pays for a movie cares about the 50th anniversary of a movie franchise I think your mistaken. People went and saw Skyfall because they heard it was good.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #162
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

may i ask why people care so much about the domestic gross? is it a patriotic thing (i doubt it)? isn't the worldwide gross what matters?

if i get given a bunch of money for my birthday, or by doing an awesome cartwheel, i don't care if half came from person a and the other half person b, i care about having the overall amount of money necessary to buy a new toaster.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 11-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #163
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
may i ask why people care so much about the domestic gross? is it a patriotic thing (i doubt it)? isn't the worldwide gross what matters?

if i get given a bunch of money for my birthday, or by doing an awesome cartwheel, i don't care if half came from person a and the other half person b, i care about having the overall amount of money necessary to buy a new toaster.
It`s a matter of % that studios gain after the run is over. Like ST get it`s sequel only due to huge 258 mil dom gross as it`s os was only 128 mil. China for all it grosses send back to US only 1/3 of money gained, other countries are better but not so much.

BTW - it looks like HG will decrease from the first one so here come REAL meltdowns as tables have turned=).

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #164
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
It`s a matter of % that studios gain after the run is over. Like ST get it`s sequel only due to huge 258 mil dom gross as it`s os was only 128 mil. China for all it grosses send back to US only 1/3 of money gained, other countries are better but not so much.

BTW - it looks like HG will decrease from the first one so here come REAL meltdowns as tables have turned=).
I am not sure what you mean are you saying that this hunger games wont make more than the first one?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #165
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

At the moment, it appears it is opening lower than many earlier guessed.

But as we all know, it's always best to wait for actuals on Monday to really know for certain.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #166
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean are you saying that this hunger games wont make more than the first one?
Domestically yep, there is almost no chance it will make 400 if things will look as grim as they are now. It will increase OS for sure, but not in US.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #167
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Domestically yep, there is almost no chance it will make 400 if things will look as grim as they are now. It will increase OS for sure, but not in US.
Grim? Wait a movie that opens at 140 to 150 million is grim but a movie that has made that in two weeks is not grim? Am I on the same planet as you?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #168
warriorking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Thor 2 should get a nice bump from the holidays.
Exactly...It's not like its going to make nothing during this holiday period..
A few million here and there quickly add's up..

Old 11-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #169
rayc1971
Side-Kick

it will get the thanksgiving bump to get it over 200mill domestic might finish around 215mill.i thought maybe 250mill domestic but the drops have been to big but 215 is fine.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #170
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Grim? Wait a movie that opens at 140 to 150 million is grim but a movie that has made that in two weeks is not grim? Am I on the same planet as you?
Yeah I don't get it. And Catching Fire's budget is way lower than TDW. And the film is also guaranteed for 2 last films. Its future is certain. Plus with franchises that already opened with 150m in the U.S., there's almost no room for big growth, because $150 m is already massive and its unrealistic to think with every film, it should get higher than $150m.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 11-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #171
rayc1971
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Clear 230 mil? That's not going to happen. It would need a 2.67 multiplier and there is no way it's getting that kind of multiplier.
this weekend drop is bigger than I thought but 210 to 215 is still in the ballpark

Old 11-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #172
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thats reality as well as Thor doing 200/600 is a good thing - people just went over themselves with over predictions like 200 mil OW+450 dom! So for them, things look grim-it`s great result in reality but there are meltdowns.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #173
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Thats reality as well as Thor doing 200/600 is a good thing - people just went over themselves with over predictions like 200 mil OW+450 dom! So for them, things look grim-it`s great result in reality but there are meltdowns.
I really think you need to wait till weekend numbers come in for HG more so wait the whole week. The movie is going to be huge both here and over seas.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #174
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really think you need to wait till weekend numbers come in for HG more so wait the whole week. The movie is going to be huge both here and over seas.
200 OW is not happening plain and simple 450 too only if a miraculous super legs come in play like for Gravity or Skyfall and I really, really doubt it but you may be right as anything could happen.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #175
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
200 OW is not happening plain and simple 450 too only if a miraculous super legs come in play like for Gravity or Skyfall and I really, really doubt it but you may be right as anything could happen.
I think you are looking at really good legs for it. This whole week plus thanksgiving weekend is going to be huge numbers. It will be well over 200 million after next weekend its going to be massive. Perfect time to release it. It has a huge fan base and there will be more repeat customers than most movies. You have to think 140 million opening at least plus 10 million per weekday till next weekend where it will do another 50 million. These are huge numbers. There is nothing " grim" about this at all.

Closed Thread