The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
the last son
Side-Kick

Default The Tone Of This Movie.

Watching Man Of Steel, the thing that I liked most about it was the tone. I love adult themed Superhero movies. One with real consequences and personal growth through damned obstacles. I heard complaints of the tone and how they want things to lighten up. I'm not with that at all and if it's one thing I give Goyer credit for, is sticking with the tones with Blade 1 and 2 and Batman series and I don't believe they will cave in now. You have to things this way too continuing to further yourselves from Marvel. A lot of people enjoyed Man Of Steel, but it just seemed the critics were louder in voicing their displeasures. Keep the tone the same way, unless you all want to go even more gritty, then that is fine with me.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Default Re: The Tone Of This Movie.

I'm with you completely. Hey, I agree with you for a change.

TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I say go lighter, but I liked elements of MOS tone. A good example of a perfect tonality was when Zod called Earth about Kal-El. The villains and stakes should be serious, but there should be more humorous situations in the next film.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
the last son
Side-Kick

Also, Hans Zimmer is a must. I say hire him to do all of these DC movies so it seems even more connected. Zimmer helps set a tone in his music for a more mature movie. I love the more somber tones instead of hiring more of an action sounding soundtrack. He really does just help elevate scenes with his music.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I'd say his score WAS more actioney, but to be fair, the movie was as well.

I find HZ to be overrated (and wouldn't mind a 'softer' composer doing the music), but want the new main superman theme kept.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
shauner111
Side-Kick

They won't go "lighter" since Batman has to be portrayed in a dark manner anytime he's on screen. It will be the same kind of tone at times. But i think we're in for a suprise. Im not sure what that is yet, but i get the feeling that the visual style will be different from the origin story.

Zimmer needs to stay away. He should handle Superman in the sequels but i would like to see Zack get another composer to share some music with Hans.

I love Zimmer but he needs to stay the hell away from the new Batman. I adore his score for TDKT but it's over. Every other character needs a seperate composer. Or else it'll be "Zimmer-overkill". Also i think his score in MOS was a pretty straight up action score. It had some somber moments sure, but he repeated a lot of his themes to the point where it just came off as a standard superhero score. A great one though.

He's already working on Spider-Man. He has a certain stamp, so we need fresher blood here.

I would like to see some more playful stuff with Supes though. Go lighter with Superman but not too light. I like the mature tone compared to previous Superman movies. The tone will balance itself out once Batman comes into it.

Last edited by shauner111; 12-22-2013 at 06:30 PM.
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ I'd say his score WAS more actioney, but to be fair, the movie was as well.

I find HZ to be overrated (and wouldn't mind a 'softer' composer doing the music), but want the new main superman theme kept.
I adore the guys work so i disagree with your stance on him being overrated. I will say that he might be becoming too over-exposed though.

The movie is a pretty standard sci-fi superhero action movie. There's no two ways about that. So i think Hans had to deliver a more straight-forward score. With a bit of a western tone though. It works.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I think that Superman needs to be in situations where it's tonally appropriate to smile. But I don't want him saying a cheerful wisecrack to someone who was threatening carnage.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I say keep the tone. No "lightening things up" or what I like to call Marvelizing. I've had quite enough fluffy CBMs to last a while.

That's not to say happy things can't happen at the appropriate times, but the movie should be dramatic overall. Dramatic doesn't mean grim, either. It just means things are taken seriously.

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I think Im1 had a very strong tone for a superhero movie. Serious, but with witty characters that add levity.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I don't need any RDJ style quips fests up in this movie.

I liked the tone of IM better than most Marvel movies, though.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Agreed.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I don't need any RDJ style quips fests up in this movie.

I liked the tone of IM better than most Marvel movies, though.
I don't want people quipping back and forth, but I really want Jimmy Olsen back to the Planet.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
shauner111
Side-Kick

Hmm. Keep it dramatic and serious when it needs to be. But he needs to be saving more people. Needs to have lighter interactions with Lois inside Daily Planet and whenever he's Superman (unless it's something serious happening).

That's what i mean by lightening it up a little bit with him.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Yeah. Superman should be building up his image, trying to show the people of Metropolis he could be trusted. I'd love to have a scene of Superman visiting kids in the hospital briefly, or helping homeless people somehow.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
PaulRom
Side-Kick

I thought the tone of Man of Steel was perfect. I don't get how people can say it was "joyless". Yes, it was serious, but it wasn't on a Dark Knight level of dark or borderline depressing. But that's a debate for another time.

As for Batman vs. Superman, I would have the tone be at least slightly darker. It's set after the invasion of Metropolis, and Batman is being reintroduced.

Oh, and as much as I love Hans Zimmer, I don't want him to score every single future DC movie. Have him work on the Superman and Justice League movies, but let others work on Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. For BvS, he can do the Superman side of things, but bring in another composer for Batman. Kind of like how The Dark Knight had both Zimmer and James Newton Howard.

PaulRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
I don't want people quipping back and forth, but I really want Jimmy Olsen back to the Planet.
Ugh. Superman Returns brutally slaughtered any enthusiasm I had for that character. Amen to leaving out the RDJ-scenery-chewing quips, though. However, I wouldn't be against flirty banter between Lois and Clark at the D.P. or some delicious snarking between Superman and Batman. Just make it good and non-Marvelesque.

lc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRom View Post
I thought the tone of Man of Steel was perfect. I don't get how people can say it was "joyless". Yes, it was serious, but it wasn't on a Dark Knight level of dark or borderline depressing. But that's a debate for another time.

As for Batman vs. Superman, I would have the tone be at least slightly darker. It's set after the invasion of Metropolis, and Batman is being reintroduced.

Oh, and as much as I love Hans Zimmer, I don't want him to score every single future DC movie. Have him work on the Superman and Justice League movies, but let others work on Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. For BvS, he can do the Superman side of things, but bring in another composer for Batman. Kind of like how The Dark Knight had both Zimmer and James Newton Howard.
Yeah. The people who said it was joyless must have been sleeping when he saved the oil workers, learned to fly,flirted with Lois in the interrogation room, stopped the gravity beam, proudly told his mother of his new identity, and formed an alliance with the military and Swanwick.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Hmm. Keep it dramatic and serious when it needs to be. But he needs to be saving more people. Needs to have lighter interactions with Lois inside Daily Planet and whenever he's Superman (unless it's something serious happening).

That's what i mean by lightening it up a little bit with him.
I'm good with that.

Quote:
^ Yeah. Superman should be building up his image, trying to show the people of Metropolis he could be trusted. I'd love to have a scene of Superman visiting kids in the hospital briefly, or helping homeless people somehow.
This would also be nice. This would show another side to him, superman-style, not RDJ style. I would like Jimmy to appear too.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's fantastic. I thought Zack or Goyer said in June that the sequel would include him handling matters in various countries. Things like poverty, etc. I mean..this was said before the big announcement. But i hope it's still intact.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRom View Post
Definitely this. And by any chance, you are PaulRom from CBM?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
JDonaldD
Side-Kick

I just want a brighter looking movie. Not as much color correction. In fact, I think what they did color wise with MOS is one of it's biggest problems and responsible for the somber tone many got from the movie. I hope with Batman there now, Superman can provide the proper balance with moments of levity while still achieving a distinct, darker tone.

JDonaldD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
That's fantastic. I thought Zack or Goyer said in June that the sequel would include him handling matters in various countries. Things like poverty, etc. I mean..this was said before the big announcement. But i hope it's still intact.
I hope it's still there too and not replaced with WW fighting mythological creatures or something. ugh.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

I hope it's in tact too. They're shooting this in Morocco as well right?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
I hope it's in tact too. They're shooting this in Morocco as well right?
Are they? Didn't know about that.