The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #226
GreySpider
Bane Wannabe

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 10

yea seriously, it would be beyond words if he really nails it. i cannot wait till the suit reveal and our first glimpses of him acting as batman

Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #227
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Even giving Affleck the benefit of the doubt, how likely do you think it'll be that his performance as Batman will ultimately amount to his performance as Daredevil, but with a few changes? That seems to be the big fear of the anti-Batfleck contingent.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #228
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
Even giving Affleck the benefit of the doubt, how likely do you think it'll be that his performance as Batman will ultimately amount to his performance as Daredevil, but with a few changes? That seems to be the big fear of the anti-Batfleck contingent.
Given that it was ten years ago, I'd be highly shocked if it approached that sort of territory. Not only because it would be a repeat performance (which I'm sure he wants to avoid), but he's grown far more as a man and actor. Perhaps most importantly however, this is arguably his most important role to date. All eyes on him, especially the whole of geekdom who he's already in bad graces with.

All things considering, this amounts to immense pressure in delivering something fresh and unexpected. I can't be sure, but Ben certainly has the makings of a potentially epic comeback for his fanboy reputation.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #229
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro13Zombie View Post
This.

I've admittedly never been a fan of his,but I hope he proves everybody wrong in a huge way.
Indeedy.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #230
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yeah. I never liked Affleck's acting even though i liked his personality outside of movies and found him funny in Kevin Smith's flicks. He's a good writer, a good director. And now he's come to be a solid actor with the right script. With Batman i think he can accentuate his positives but hide the negatives.

He'll shine more when he directs himself for a solo.

Batman vs Superman should be a launching pad.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #231
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think on some level every Batfan has to be rooting for Affleck, at least a little. Nobody wants to see a bad Batman on screen.

That said, people who express a less than optimistic outlook in a reasonable way shouldn't be lumped in with foaming at the mouth "this will teh suck!" crowd. I see the potential for this to be either a stroke of genius or huge misfire.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 11-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #232
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Yeah. There's a homerun/strikeout element to casting Affleck.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #233
GreySpider
Bane Wannabe

itll be pretty funny if after all the hype and people expecting either an awesome or horrendous performance from Affleck, we simply get a "meh not too great not too bad" performance with nothing to argue about lol

Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #234
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySpider View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #235
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySpider View Post
itll be pretty funny if after all the hype and people expecting either an awesome or horrendous performance from Affleck, we simply get a "meh not too great not too bad" performance with nothing to argue about lol
But it won't work out that way. A meh performance would be an Oscar worthy achievement for the supporters and a Razzie worthy disaster for the skeptics.

So reactions will be extreme come what may.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #236
third
Banned User

I wonder, can anyone think of any casting that was treated similarly?

as in an average actor, who's been in some good films and some really baaad films, whos then taken an unexpected role and completely transformed and proved their critics wrong?

I'm excluding keaton and ledger because I enjoyed them prior to their roles in batman and could at least some potential in their performances.

- afflecks acting thus far has consisted of two modes, cocky douche or expressionless sad guy, will we prob see the latter with a bit of daredevil growl thrown in?

Last edited by third; 11-28-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #237
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

There are just certain actors geeks love and have disdain for, and it's pretty much ingrained in their heads.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #238
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
- afflecks acting thus far has consisted of two modes, cocky douche or expressionless sad guy...
Yeah...no.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 11-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #239
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
There are just certain actors geeks love and have disdain for, and it's pretty much ingrained in their heads.
I think a lot of it with Affleck for the CB fans is their hatred of the Daredevil movie (which I generally think is a huge over-reaction anyway), and they can't quite seem to get over it, even though It was over ten years ago. I personally don't get it. I mean, take Ben Kingsley for example, even though he's been in more than one really bad movie, he is still generally accepted as a really good, if not great actor. But for some reason, even though he's proved he can be a good actor, people are not willing to look past his poorly chosen films that he's been in. It's not really fair.

*splat*
Old 11-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #240
InJustice
Side-Kick

While I have hope that the guy will own it as Batman, being exposed to TDKT has left me a bit worried. I just hope that Affleck will have similar nuances in his performance as Batman. I don't want to watch BvS and see Ben Affleck playing Affleck wearing a Hallowe'en costume. I want to see Ben Affleck playing Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #241
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
While I have hope that the guy will own it as Batman, being exposed to TDKT has left me a bit worried. I just hope that Affleck will have similar nuances in his performance as Batman. I don't want to watch BvS and see Ben Affleck playing Affleck wearing a Hallowe'en costume. I want to see Ben Affleck playing Bruce Wayne and Batman.
Do you honestly expect that to happen? Let's be realistic here people.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #242
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
I think a lot of it with Affleck for the CB fans is their hatred of the Daredevil movie (which I generally think is a huge over-reaction anyway), and they can't quite seem to get over it, even though It was over ten years ago. I personally don't get it. I mean, take Ben Kingsley for example, even though he's been in more than one really bad movie, he is still generally accepted as a really good, if not great actor. But for some reason, even though he's proved he can be a good actor, people are not willing to look past his poorly chosen films that he's been in. It's not really fair.
In the interest of fairness, Kingsley doesn't have a high-profile mainstream role (arguably until IM3) which colors his public perception. Affleck's image is compounded by the lukewarm reception of Daredevil, plus his unfortunate public relationship with Jennifer Lopez. It's a lot easier to have a formed opinion of a man (fair or otherwise) if he has a large presence in pop culture.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #243
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Some people honestly want him to **** it up so they can be right.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #244
the last son
Side-Kick

I don't, but I know he won't make a good batman. His best bet would be to use computer engineering to deepen his voice and speak as little as possible. I mean use his eyes and body language to speak for him.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #245
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
I don't, but I know he won't make a good batman. His best bet would be to use computer engineering to deepen his voice and speak as little as possible. I mean use his eyes and body language to speak for him.
This.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #246
third
Banned User

Part of what I loved about Batman Begins was how Batman was depicted as this wraith like figure, a ghost - this would be cool to see

Old 11-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #247
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Might as well not even watch the movie now.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #248
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
You don't KNOW any such thing.

*splat*
Old 11-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #249
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
In the interest of fairness, Kingsley doesn't have a high-profile mainstream role (arguably until IM3) which colors his public perception. Affleck's image is compounded by the lukewarm reception of Daredevil, plus his unfortunate public relationship with Jennifer Lopez. It's a lot easier to have a formed opinion of a man (fair or otherwise) if he has a large presence in pop culture.
True, but that doesn't make it any less unfair the way they're treating Affleck. If anything it makes it even more unfair.

*splat*
Old 11-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #250
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Do you honestly expect that to happen? Let's be realistic here people.
Again, that's not my expectation since I think he'll do fine, but I'm being cautious as well since Affleck is such an enigma (to me anyways).

Closed Thread