The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #951
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Default Re: Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

No hologram, or other eleborate explanations, for me thanks. Keep it simple, keep the charm and magic of it all.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #952
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

I don't find Superman's supporting cast having to be idiots just to make his secret identity work to be all that "charming." He works at one of the largest and most prestigious newspapers in the world, full of professional journalists who's job it is to uncover this kind of thing. The fact that NONE of them can put two and two together never worked for me, and it certainly doesn't work in the somewhat more grounded world that this Superman exists in. It just makes them all look like fools. Alien technology playing a role would be an acceptable compromise.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #953
spund
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Agreed.

I'm confused by these folks who keep saying the identity is not believable, but have no problem buying the flying or laser beams. In my view, if they can buy that they will buy the disguise and Clark's ability to fool people. I don't see why they don't think they would.
Yes, this is a movie about a flying guy that shoots lasers from his eyes. But the problem with your logic is you're totally ignoring that this flying guy is supposed to be set within the context of a realistic world.

You can't just go explaining everything away with "oh he flies so you can believe this too". All due respect intended, but that's a total cop out. I think the writers owe us something more intelligent than that.

What if this new Superman started doing corny stuff like...oh I dunno, teleporting and throwing his "S" around to capture people? Would you really be ok with no explanation?

This isn't 80's Superman, it's 2010's Superman. The producers of this movie established that this is Superman in a realistic world, so they need to be consistent with that.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #954
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spund View Post
Yes, this is a movie about a flying guy that shoots lasers from his eyes. But the problem with your logic is you're totally ignoring that this flying guy is supposed to be set within the context of a realistic world.

You can't just go explaining everything away with "oh he flies so you can believe this too". All due respect intended, but that's a total cop out. I think the writers owe us something more intelligent than that.

What if this new Superman started doing corny stuff like...oh I dunno, teleporting and throwing his "S" around to capture people? Would you really be ok with no explanation?

This isn't 80's Superman, it's 2010's Superman. The producers of this movie established that this is Superman in a realistic world, so they need to be consistent with that.
My point was and still is. If this guy is capable of all those fantastic things do you not think it would be easy to sell he also has the capability to fool people? The man shoots laser beams from his eyes and flies. I think he can fool people if it's shown well. I don't see why that would even be a hard to thing to buy considering all the OTHER things he can do.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #955
spund
Side-Kick

Quote:
My point was and still is. If this guy is capable of all those fantastic things do you not think it would be easy to sell he also has the capability to fool people? The man shoots laser beams from his eyes and flies. I think he can fool people if it's shown well. I don't see why that would even be a hard to thing to buy considering all the OTHER things he can do.
I could buy that it's easy for him to fool people if they establish that he has some kind of power to mess with people's minds. Remember, his powers and all the alien stuff are the "fantasy" part...but everything else is supposed to be realistic. So yes....I can buy that he can fool people, but I want to know HOW he can fool people, in a logical sense. Power? Technology? I want it to be intelligent, not just anything goes just because this is a fantasy movie.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #956
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
I could buy that it's easy for him to fool people if they establish that he has some kind of power to mess with people's minds. Remember, his powers and all the alien stuff are the "fantasy" part...but everything else is supposed to be realistic. So yes....I can buy that he can fool people, but I want to know HOW he can fool people, in a logical sense. Power? Technology? I want it to be intelligent, not just anything goes just because this is a fantasy movie.
But "real" people in real life can fool people. It's something that doesn't really require a super power. It's doable for you and me if we wanted to do it. The fact Superman has many other abilities should make his ability to fool people even all that much easier. That's why I don't understand those who say it's not believable. This is truly something that happens all the time in real life. Actors do it. Cops who undercover do it. Terrorist do it. Now imagine someone with superpowers doing this. It should actually be easier for him.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #957
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

"What would happen if Superman were in the real world?" is a fascinating thought experiment, but it's not necessary for Goyer to cover every single detail, and if he tries, he will fail for sure. Goyer has to pick his battles. For me:

1) Definitely if Superman were in the real world people would figure out his identity, through a variety of means. Most likely men in black would have shown up at the kent farm and taken him away, as a child.
2) I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the movie if there is no explanation, or a brief one.
3) If there is a dumb explanation (e.g. midichlorions), then it will just annoy me.

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #958
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
How would they control Superman with that? They don't have the means to stop Superman,
Yet. Once you bring in CADMUS/Amanda Waller/other characters like that, it is an entire different game.

Quote:
or a reason to do so anyways. At the end of MOS, Superman says that they don't have to worry about him, but that he also will help people his own way. He won't be a government puppet.
They would have a reason, as shown in MOS. Superman saying they can trust him does not automatically mean that the army does trust him.

Quote:
LOL. If Brainiac decided to shrink Metropolis the government would be running out to Superman for help.

Er, I'm not sure that people are more anti-authority now than ever before, but what I mean by allies is basically what we saw in MOS. If Darkseid decided to invade Earth, the military would join forces with Superman to help save the world. They would work together as allies during the conflict. Simple.
Your Darkseid/Brainiac analogy is an entirely different case. Of course they would team up because they share the same home. However, that does not mean that authorities would approve of superheroes.

Quote:
And the "real world" thing is highly exaggerated. What they wanted to do with this version of Superman is make it feel grounded, but it's still sci-fi fantasy, or whatever you want to call it.
There are different types of realism. MOS is not realistic in terms of sci-fi, but it is in terms of how people react to the events around them.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 12-01-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #959
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
What sources?
The sources she utilized to comprise the "trail" she followed around the world.

Quote:
We saw her track him down by interviewing person and person that Clark encountered. She was literally tracing his journey to its origin, which was at the Kent Farm.
Right, but SHE was the one who tied all these events together, and then followed that back to the Kent farm. Again, there's no guarantee the government would even know about some of the events around the world that she specifically investigated.

Quote:
Her finding out also had nothing to do with earning Clark and Martha's trust.
Not true. She tracked the story to the Kent farm, and next thing we know, she has spoken with Martha and is meeting with Clark. If there wasn't some level of trust between Lois, Martha and Clark, I seriously doubt Clark would have arranged a meeting or been quite so open with her about the truth.

Quote:
She didn't pick up a trail "everyone" was following because nobody was following it other than her prior to the Zod message.
Exactly.

This is my point. She was pretty much the only person with the particular perspective that she had on events, and was able to put the pieces together in a particular way.

Quote:
As I said before, the government has far more resources and should realistically better investigators than Lois (a professional FBI or CIA investigator could trace Clark back to Smallville in the same amount of time or even quicker). No matter what way you put it, it makes zero sense at all for Lois to track him down and for the government to not be able to. It wouldn't have been a problem at all if Lois wasn't able to track him in the first place but because she is able to track him like that, then it creates a plot hole when the government isn't able to do the same.
No, that's not a plot hole. It's called "someone else has a different result". Investigation doesn't work that way. I'm sorry, but speaking as a Special Investigator, it simply doesn't. Just because one person can come up with a particular scenario does not mean another person or agency will be able to have the exact same result at a different point in time.

Quote:
There is evidence that is concrete about a case and then there is evidence that, although it doesn't prove anything directly, makes a case as to why there needs to be more investigations in a specific area.
And none of the evidence directly points to Clark Kent being Superman. So my point stands.

Quote:
By the end of the film, the government has the following clues to Superman's identity that Lois did not have:
1) They know Superman is 33.
2) They know he grew up in Kansas.
3) They know the aliens landed in Smallville (since they confronted them there) and Smallville would be the first place they would investigate in Kansas.
Which would result in them knowing that:
-Superman is 33. At least he says he is, how do they know he's telling the truth?
-Superman grew up in Kansas. At least he says he did, how do they know he's telling the truth?
-The aliens landed in Smallville. Which they already know without Superman telling them.

Conducting a high-level investigation in Smallville alone, would realistically, even with the resources the United States government has at its disposal, probably take years. And again, just because they're investigating in Smallville, you cannot assume they would discover Clark is Superman as a result.

Quote:
How so?
Because if you were to refuse to consider "that wasn't in the movie" as a defense, you yourself could not, as a debate tactic, use that in your own arguments. It would make you a hypocrite.

Quote:
You also seem to have missed or ignored this part:
"Even if that is the case, Lois still managed to get information out of them and find out about Clark Kent."
I ignored it...because it's irrelevant in this situation. Lois is not conducting the government's hypothetical investigation.

Quote:
Now you're really grasping at straws IMO. You are taking a line of dialogue that was meant to add some levity to the film and you are interpreting it as a major turn in the general's development and trust with Superman.
No, I'm discussing possibilities, just like you are. The difference is, I'm considering both sides of the issue and several angles of this, and you're only addressing the ones that support your statement that it would be easy to figure out who Superman is.

Quote:
1) They would get their information in a more easier and more narrowed-down way because they have more information on Superman and more direct places to investigate (i.e. Smallville).
You can't know that. For all we know, the people of Smallville would run interference and balk at talking about things in a way they did not do when a single reporter (Lois) came calling. And there's still no guarantee that their investigation would yield the same outcome as hers did.

Quote:
2) They would have far better resources and investigators than Lois. I said it so many times by now and cannot stress this point enough. This is key.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything in this particular instance.

Quote:
My point is that it was a staple of the mythology that I could have accepted just fine using my imagination until Goyer & Snyder came in and made it 100 times harder for people to accept it through their ridiculous nonsense and plot holes in the film.
I think your imagination is the reason you see elements of the film as "nonsense" and "plot holes" in the first place. But you're somewhat selectively using your imagination, that much is apparent.

Quote:
I can because Lois' investigation yielded the identity of Superman so easily. I wouldn't have assumed that or found that probable had Lois not been able to track him down. But by the film's own logic, the government should easily be able to find out who he is by the end of the film.
And again, investigations do not work that way. It's not a recipe that you can follow to get a pre-ordained result. Just because someone was able to come up with a particular outcome does not mean someone else will have the
same result.

Lois' investigation went as well as it did because of her specific contacts and circumstances. There is absolutely no guarantee that the government would be able to follow the same trail she did, unless she gave them specific help, which I doubt she would.

Quote:
However, I do know that they won't find out who Superman is not because they can't but because it is a plot hole that Goyer and Snyder will just conveniently choose to ignore and pretend as if it wasn't present. That is if they even realized it exists in the first place.
It's not a plot hole. You just very much seem to want it to be.

Quote:
Because the Kryptonians then moved to a different place in Smallville (where the big battle took place) and spent most of their time there. There was tons of military presence there.
And why, if the aliens could be tracked so well, wouldn't there have been at least SOME military/police presence at their initial strike site at some point? Specifically after the battle of Smallville? Maybe because they can't track them that well.

Quote:
Of course. Aliens invade the farm after announcing to the whole globe that they're looking for one of their people and he won't suspect a thing.
Well, if he suspected anything, he certainly didn't do much about it, did he?

Quote:
She got out of the car and yelled "Clark!" like 2 - 5 seconds after. She would still be within the officer's hearing radius for him to hear that.
And again, you'd have to assume this. That the officer could hear her over the car, that he has good hearing in the first place, that his radio wasn't on, that he was paying attention, etc.

And that her yelling "Clark" means anything specific, which it does not, in context.

Quote:
And the solution is to make it 1000 times sillier?
It's hardly 1,000 times siller.

Quote:
The difference between the comics and the film is that the comics would have no solid reason to randomly investigate Lois' friends. The film has every reason to have Lois' friends be investigated.
That makes no sense. Comics Lois has the same or similar reasons to be investigated that movie Lois does.

Quote:
I'm looking at things in a long-term perspective. It made a case for why Clark needs one, will give him one in the future, but has created a situation in which he would technically not be able to have one.
No it has not created that.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #960
spund
Side-Kick

Quote:
But "real" people in real life can fool people. It's something that doesn't really require a super power. It's doable for you and me if we wanted to do it. The fact Superman has many other abilities should make his ability to fool people even all that much easier. That's why I don't understand those who say it's not believable. This is truly something that happens all the time in real life. Actors do it. Cops who undercover do it. Terrorist do it. Now imagine someone with superpowers doing this. It should actually be easier for him.
If real people in real life that are highly recognizable are fooling people, then its because they are heavily disguised. Famous celebrities don't blend into the crowd just because they put glasses on....ask the paparazzi. Which brings up another point - realistically, the paparazzi would recognize Clark and be following him EVERYWHERE. Well...except when he's flying or super speeding anyway

I think the only way glasses would disguise him is if people never really got a good look at him, like others have been saying. It's the only plausible way.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #961
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
If real people in real life that are highly recognizable are fooling people, then its because they are heavily disguised. Famous celebrities don't blend into the crowd just because they put glasses on....ask the paparazzi. Which brings up another point - realistically, the paparazzi would recognize Clark and be following him EVERYWHERE. Well...except when he's flying or super speeding anyway

I think the only way glasses would disguise him is if people never really got a good look at him, like others have been saying. It's the only plausible way.
I do not buy this because stars frequently go outside in disguises without being recognized. A lot of stars do this. I'm taking it to extremes in this case to say that it can and does happen.

In the case with MOS, we don't know yet if anyone in the general public got a good look at Superman. To my knowledge in the movie, the only person who looked at him with a WTF expression was Pete. It was obvious those two had a moment. Yet, he was one of the few people with knowledge of the wonders Clark has done. He is the only one shown to be able even piece together that sort of 2+2 equation.

So the question for all the naysayers and Goyer haters is if MOS2w/Batman says this Superman is just like the RBB in SV, meaning no one has gotten a good look at him. Would you then be able to buy the idea no paparazzi are following some random dude named Clark Kent around...even if they think he looks like Superman? Yet....even if they were....now add in the fact Clark/Superman has super powers, and can probably detect if someone is trying to scoop him out. Do you think he could possibly...uh...idk...throw them off in someway...with his super powers?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #962
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Famous celebrities don't blend into the crowd just because they put glasses on....ask the paparazzi. Which brings up another point - realistically, the paparazzi would recognize Clark and be following him EVERYWHERE. Well...except when he's flying or super speeding anyway
Do these glasses fool you?

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #963
spund
Side-Kick

I could accept the disguise if nobody ever got a good look at him like in Smallville. Maybe he uses his powers to make sure nobody sees him or takes any pics when he's Superman. But if he's in the media and everybody knows his face like a celebrity, no I just don't see that being realistic. How could he use his powers to throw off every single person that recognizes him? He'd be so busy that he'd have no time to do his job at the planet and he'd get fired lol.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #964
spund
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post

Lol Anne is hot, it'd take a pretty heavy disguise for me not to recognize her! And that's another major issue.....Clark's a pretty attractive guy and attractive people get stared at non-stop.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #965
spund
Side-Kick

Quote:
I do not buy this because stars frequently go outside in disguises without being recognized. A lot of stars do this. I'm taking it to extremes in this case to say that it can and does happen.

In the case with MOS, we don't know yet if anyone in the general public got a good look at Superman. To my knowledge in the movie, the only person who looked at him with a WTF expression was Pete. It was obvious those two had a moment. Yet, he was one of the few people with knowledge of the wonders Clark has done. He is the only one shown to be able even piece together that sort of 2+2 equation.

So the question for all the naysayers and Goyer haters is if MOS2w/Batman says this Superman is just like the RBB in SV, meaning no one has gotten a good look at him. Would you then be able to buy the idea no paparazzi are following some random dude named Clark Kent around...even if they think he looks like Superman? Yet....even if they were....now add in the fact Clark/Superman has super powers, and can probably detect if someone is trying to scoop him out. Do you think he could possibly...uh...idk...throw them off in someway...with his super powers?
I can meet you halfway and agree that yes, there are instances when celebrities can fool people only with glasses as their disguise. And yes there would definitely be instances where Clark could realistically fool people. But it's only instances.....for Clark to maintain his disguise, he needs to fool people all the time. I just don't see how it's possible that he could realistically fool people all the time.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #966
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:

Not true. I hate to keep bringing it up but there is that reality TV show "I Get That a Lot" where celebs go "undercover" at everyday jobs with no more of a disguise than being in a place no-one would expect a celeb to be and dressed in everyday clothing, like behind the counter at a McDonald's in a McD's uniform taking orders, and the most they ever get is "Do you know who you look like?". It's perfectly believable that Kent would get at most a response Like that, "You look just like Superman." and not "Hey! you're Superman!", and he doesn't even need the contrivance of the glasses. (but it helps.)

*splat*
Bathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #967
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Not being recognized in one short period of time is not the same as not being recognized every single day for months on end by the people you work with, your friends, etc.

If the celebrity actually started to work at Mcdonalds everyday, in no time, his/her coworkers would figure it out and someone would say something to the news, etc.

---------------------

but anyways,

The main difference is that we know what celebrities look like. We have pictures.

We're not sure in MOS whether there are high quality photos of Superman floating around, so the glasses are just an extra precaution for Jenny/Lombard/Perry who 'might' have gotten a good look at his face, and may have remembered it well enough to accuse someone of being that person. Clearly, they did not, which is fine.

In the next movie, even if it's revealed that there are photos everywhere of Superman, I'd be fine if they did some other 'realistic' explanation (that nobody wants to say anything, despite suspecting the truth), or they figure out and call him out on it. But at the same time, I'd also be fine if they embraced the silliness of it.

After all, it doesn't make sense that the government (who does have Superman's picture) wouldn't know that it's Clark Kent.

(It also doesn't make sense that Kryptonians speak English. Same thing with Asgardians, Thanos, etc)

Who cares.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 12-02-2013 at 01:31 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #968
D.P.
Banned User

The fact that this thread is near 40 pages is a demonstration of the ugly side of fanboyism.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #969
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post

Yes, actually. I wouldn't look twice at her if I saw her on the street.

The Boy Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #970
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

But they didn't fool the photographer, or else he wouldn't have taken the picture.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #971
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I'm not the photographer.

The Boy Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #972
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
The fact that this thread is near 40 pages is a demonstration of the ugly side of fanboyism.
Basically this haha.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Broseph44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #973
spund
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
I dunno if it's necessarily the "ugly side", at least not with me anyway (and I haven't read this whole thread so I can't speak for everyone else). I just think it's kind of fun to debate. I would definitely appreciate if they came up with a really plausible explanation for the glasses to work, but if they just let it be a silly suspension of disbelief type thing like it's always been, I wouldn't throw a fit or anything. So yeah, I'd really love it to make sense realistically...but bottom line, I'd rather have it be a little unbelievable than no secret identity at all.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #974
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Not being recognized in one short period of time is not the same as not being recognized every single day for months on end by the people you work with, your friends, etc.

If the celebrity actually started to work at Mcdonalds everyday, in no time, his/her coworkers would figure it out and someone would say something to the news, etc.
NO you would not...because you would recognize almost inherently that BRAD PITT would not work at friggin Mickie D's...

If you saw a dude who looked liked Brad Pitt at your local McDonalds, and he worked there EVERYDAY you saw him then you would not think that was Brad Pitt. You would not because guess what? Brad Pitt doesn't work at McDonalds and YOU KNOW THAT!

Now imagine this is a man called Superman capable of God-Like powers.....????? Is he working at McDonalds?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #975
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I've always been of the mind that Perry, Jimmy and Lois should know, in comics and across all media portrayals. The reasoning behind Superman/Clark keeping them in the dark does not hold a lot of water. "I could never let the people closest to me know I'm Superman because that would put them in danger." Look through the 75 year history of Superman. Clark Kent's closest friends and associates who are not also super-heroes are the exact same people: Lois, Jimmy and Perry. If you want to keep them safe Clark, why not try a little harder to not being around them so much as Superman? Jeez, this guy!! But seriously it makes no sense. Perry should be allowed to either figure it out or have it revealed to him in the DCCU. If Jimmy is in the cards, then same deal with him too.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote