The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #976
spund
Side-Kick

Default Re: Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
NO you would not...because you would recognize almost inherently that BRAD PITT would not work at friggin Mickie D's...

If you saw a dude who looked liked Brad Pitt at your local McDonalds, and he worked there EVERYDAY you saw him then you would not think that was Brad Pitt. You would not because guess what? Brad Pitt doesn't work at McDonalds and YOU KNOW THAT!

Now imagine this is a man called Superman capable of God-Like powers.....????? Is he working at McDonalds?
If an alien suddenly showed up, took control of every single electronic device and TOLD us that Brad Pitt has been living among us, in disguise....then I'm guessing that people would probably be mighty suspicious of the dude working at McDonalds who looks exactly like Brad Pitt, living among us and trying to blend in lol

And on that note, I'm totally craving a sausage mcMuffin for breakfast now. I'm off to McD's!

Last edited by spund; 12-02-2013 at 10:25 AM.
spund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #977
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

I think audiences distinguish between what’s explicitly fantastic and what’s mundane. So while they’ll (quite readily) accept that a man in a suit of armor can fly, they expect the normal stuff (like cars and elevators and cell phones) to be realistic. (Certainly, the presence of fantasy shouldn’t excuse sloppy writing in other areas.) And traditionally, Clark’s disguise has always been represented as a mundane ruse - not a strange superpower like heat vision, etc. As such, folks hold it to a different standard of believability.

I don’t have any wisdom about how to depict Clark’s glasses disguise as realistic to a modern, critical audience. But you could maybe sell “hiding in plain sight” as plausible by making Supes more mysterious (no interviews, no speeches to the UN) and by making Clark more of a background figure at the DP (not a star reporter with a photo next to his byline).

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #978
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spund View Post
If an alien suddenly showed up, took control of every single electronic device and TOLD us that Brad Pitt has been living among us, in disguise....then I'm guessing that people would probably be mighty suspicious of the dude working at McDonalds who looks exactly like Brad Pitt, living among us and trying to blend in lol

And on that note, I'm totally craving a sausage mcMuffin for breakfast now. I'm off to McD's!
I couldn't help it either...lol. Mmmm...hash browns...lol

Here's the thing . No one has told anyone about Clark. From what was shown in the movie, no one knows Clark is anything but what he is claiming to be, and conceivably no one got a good look at Superman.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #979
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I think audiences distinguish between what’s explicitly fantastic and what’s mundane. So while they’ll (quite readily) accept that a man in a suit of armor can fly, they expect the normal stuff (like cars and elevators and cell phones) to be realistic. (Certainly, the presence of fantasy shouldn’t excuse sloppy writing in other areas.) And traditionally, Clark’s disguise has always been represented as a mundane ruse - not a strange superpower like heat vision, etc. As such, folks hold it to a different standard of believability.

I don’t have any wisdom about how to depict Clark’s glasses disguise as realistic to a modern, critical audience. But you could maybe sell “hiding in plain sight” as plausible by making Supes more mysterious (no interviews, no speeches to the UN) and by making Clark more of a background figure at the DP (not a star reporter with a photo next to his byline).
This sounds like the best way to go.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #980
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
This maybe where the realism comes into play because I don't think Superman is going to be standing around for iPhone pix.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #981
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

If people can't figure out that after 7 years of being dead, Bruce Wayne comes back and all the sudden some one called Batman is in Gotham and there could be a chance he's Bruce Wayne based on all the tech the guy has; people won't figure out Clark Kent is Superman. People aren't all that smart.

Look at Aunt May in TASM2 trailer. Peter washes the flag and all the sudden she believes him? That's the dumbest excuse I've heard.

We give people to much credit. How about you have some realism but not make everything based on realism?

LEVITIKUZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #982
Steelsheen
Iconic

I was thinking... maybe they could stick him in a basement or smth like they did with Fox Mulder so he can still claim to be working for the DP and most people there wouldn't associate Clark with Supes.

either that or it would be treated like a white elephant in the room, where people just routinely go about their business and/or be protective of Clark against those who clearly doesn't like that one alien who nearly brought world annihalation.

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote