The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #251
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I cannot believe Chris Nolan approved of this acting.
Yeah. Her husband was livid at that scene. He said Nolan made his Oscar winning wife look like the worst actress in the world and that actors give 8-10 takes to the director and it is the director's duty to pick the best take.

For that matter I think even Tom Hardy was awful in the film.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #252
InJustice
Side-Kick

Talia's death is the only death in film that I've ever laughed at in the theatre.

But I can't fathom how people think the scene I posted is Bale being bored. It plays a huge part in terms of TDKR plot, and his eyes show something that I interpret as cathartic, that he no longer needs Batman to have a purpose in his life.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #253
Boom
I got nothin'

I'm really not getting that at all, but to each his own.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #254
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

That scene was dumb as hell a cheap trick no less. They tell us that there is a six mile radius to survive the bomb. And yet the films cuts to Bale right before the explosion. Sheesh. There more holes in that film than a bombed out city in Chechnya.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #255
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Outside of Bale's acting differences between Bruce and Batman, I don't think I've heard anyone comment on the other actors.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 11-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #256
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Talia's death is the only death in film that I've ever laughed at in the theatre.

But I can't fathom how people think the scene I posted is Bale being bored. It plays a huge part in terms of TDKR plot, and his eyes show something that I interpret as cathartic, that he no longer needs Batman to have a purpose in his life.
There's nothing really there in his eyes. You're being tricked by cinematic language. Music and editing can play a HUGE part on how a performance is interpreted by an audience. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuleshov_Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Why is is it that trunks = campy?
Because they have their source in circus strongmen and a modern analogue in professional wrestling. Do you think it's appropriate to tell a serious, dramatic story where the protagonist reminds you of professional wrestling? If they served a function outside of looking like circus strongmen or old-fashioned superheroes, they could get a pass despite being campy. For example, capes can be REALLY campy, but Batman's cape has been given all sorts of functions in various stories and serves to make him look more otherworldly. Superman's cape makes him look more regal and in Man of Steel serves as a connection to his Kryptonian culture. Capes are an unrealistic campy trope from comic books, but we accept it because it has a reason to exist beyond mere tradition.

But simple following of campy tropes doesn't make for anything but, at best, good camp. Superhero film adaptations work best by throwing out ALL of the campy tropes of comic books and reconstructing the superhero story anew out of cinematic tropes. So Superman becomes a scifi action piece, Batman becomes a noir-ish crime drama, Captain America becomes a WW2 period piece, Thor becomes a fantasy adventure. They are not produced as "superhero movies", they're produced as genre movies that happen to have a "superhero" as the lead. If you just accept comic book tropes into live action film without scrutiny, you end up with things more like Adam West's Batman or the 1990s Captain America movie. Some might like that, but that's not what is most successful financially or critically.

Quote:
Out of curiousity, to those who are antitrunks, would you be angry if they featured the trunks on the Batman suit, and brought them back on the Superman suit?
I'm actually more open to seeing the trunks return to Superman. Connecting him to circus strongmen makes WAY more sense. Also, although Batman is generally preferred as a noirish masked detective than a "superhero", Superman is officially a superhero in-universe and a little bit of camp in-universe wouldn't be awful for him... although it might be strange if we immediately see Superman go fight Darkseid or some other similarly gravely serious threat wearing a silly, campy costume. The idea of Ma Kent helping Clark modify his Kryptonian suit into a more Earthly "strongman" costume could work well too, but it's really not necessary.

ps no, a harness does not explain why Bruce would put another colored briefs on his suit. Batman could and probably WOULD have a harness in his suit, but he wouldn't make it a contrasting color to his suit, and it would probably built in rather than merely sitting on top. If it was a Year One suit, I could maybe buy the harness-over-tights idea (and we even saw Bruce CUT OFF the harness in Batman Begins!), but in this Man of Steel sequel, this is an older, more experienced Batman who would NOT be using a "home-made" looking costume.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #257
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
That scene was dumb as hell a cheap trick no less. They tell us that there is a six mile radius to survive the bomb. And yet the films cuts to Bale right before the explosion. Sheesh. There more holes in that film than a bombed out city in Chechnya.
Yes because using editing to manipulate time and space for the audience isn't a staple of filmmaking...

Old 11-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #258
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
There's nothing really there in his eyes. You're being tricked by cinematic language. Music and editing can play a HUGE part on how a performance is interpreted by an audience. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuleshov_Effect
But I wasn't paying attention to the effect of music and editing. What got to me was how the image of Batman in the Bat coincided with Wayne's triumph of the Pit. In that first image of Wayne's triumph, we see that the fear of death has been re-instilled, and as such the fear of dying gives him a reason to live. In other words, he wants to live life to the fullest rather than be in depression. So when you get to the scene where Batman is sitting on the Bat, his eyes signify that Bruce Wayne no longer needs Batman. It's Bruce Wayne's catharsis at play.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #259
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Yes because using editing to manipulate time and space for the audience isn't a staple of filmmaking...
Atleast in the films I admire, failing at basic time continuity isn't.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #260
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Atleast in the films I admire, failing at basic time continuity isn't.
lol...I thought being confused about when things happened was a staple of Nolan movies. That's like one of his calling cards...lol

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #261
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
lol...I thought being confused about when things happened was a staple of Nolan movies. That's like one of his calling cards...lol
His calling card (by his own admission) is cross cutting, which I absolutely detest when it is done excessively.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #262
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
His calling card (by his own admission) is cross cutting, which I absolutely detest when it is done excessively.
lol...I'm not a movie buff who even know what that is, but I am always confused about time when watching one of his movies. It is like he deliberately does that to make you go...HMMM

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #263
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
lol...I'm not a movie buff who even know what that is, but I am always confused about time when watching one of his movies. It is like he deliberately does that to make you go...HMMM
That is kind of like cross cutting. Basically distracting the viewer with a sensory overload - criss crossing between 4-5 threads and rapidly switching between them and layering a deafening Zimmer fart trombone over it all, so basically you are overwhelmed and can't properly detect the flaws which you would if there was time for scrutiny. Such kind of films, are basically tricking the viewers into thinking they liked the film. But once you contemplate on its portions, you realize how banal it is.

Examples of this are Cloud Atlas and Inception. They are just cross-cutting the **** out of the narratives until you realize that is the only way for the film to be even watchable as there is nothing interesting in it otherwise.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #264
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
I still to this day cannot believe she did not win the Razzie for that performance.

I seriously thought her eyes were going to pop back open and that she was going to pull a face. That scene was like something out of a slapstick comedy.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #265
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
I seriously thought her eyes were going to pop back open and that she was going to pull a face. That scene was like something out of a slapstick comedy.
I have a friend who honest to god thought that it was again a deception by her and she had just preteneded to die and would return again to foil Batman's plan. So the movie got over and she didn't come back after that scene and my friend was distraught. And he could barely believe that the above was her actual death scene.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #266
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

So, I was tempted to watch the scene again and that gif does not do it justice.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 11-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #267
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
I thought it was going to turn into a Scooby Doo episode, where she fakes her death for a second, and then rips her mask off, to reveal an old man underneath, who then screams, "and I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!".

Damn, that would've been so awesome!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #268
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Out of curiousity, to those who are antitrunks, would you be angry if they featured the trunks on the Batman suit, and brought them back on the Superman suit?
I wouldn't mind that. I want both or none.

It doesn't bother me either way. I just don't want Batman having them if Superman doesn't.

For Wonder Woman though I'm very passionate about her keeping her comic costume.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #269
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
I wouldn't mind that. I want both or none.

It doesn't bother me either way. I just don't want Batman having them if Superman doesn't.

For Wonder Woman though I'm very passionate about her keeping her comic costume.
This is my thought too. NO trunks on Supes so no trunks on Bats. As for Wondy...I don't want the traditional costume unless she's shown on Themyscira.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #270
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I say no trunks on Bats or Supes. They're just outdated. And the MOS suit is awesome without them. I'm sure this team can come up with a good trunkless suit for Batman.

And I'm sure this is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but whatever:

Wondy's outfit needs a total overhaul. There is no reason she needs to show that much skin. Everyone else wears a bodysuit and she wears a strapless swimsuit. From a female perspective, it's just ridiculous. Why should a warrior wear a spangley swimsuit? And her breasts don't need to be hanging out. Obviously, she doesn't need to look like a nun, but her present outfit's only function seems to be to allow men skin to look at. It's even more apparent when she's next to the male justice league members. They're all covered up, but there's Wondy in her swimsuit. And yes, the others' suits are tight, but hers is tight and tiny. There's no need for both. I'd like to see something different.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #271
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallbecomeabat View Post

Aaaaaaaand we are back to the boring Bale bashing.
I loved him in the role and think he did more acting than any of the other Batmen combined.
It's the horrible suit with its suffocating nasal that is being criticized, not the hapless guy inside.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #272
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Wondy's outfit needs a total overhaul. There is no reason she needs to show that much skin. Everyone else wears a bodysuit and she wears a strapless swimsuit. From a female perspective, it's just ridiculous. Why should a warrior wear a spangley swimsuit? And her breasts don't need to be hanging out. Obviously, she doesn't need to look like a nun, but her present outfit's only function seems to be to allow men skin to look at. It's even more apparent when she's next to the male justice league members. They're all covered up, but there's Wondy in her swimsuit. And yes, the others' suits are tight, but hers is tight and tiny. There's no need for both. I'd like to see something different.
Yeah...I with you on this. It's sexist and needs to go in any live action film. I don't care if it goes against the comics either. That representation needs to stop.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #273
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Yeah...I with you on this. It's sexist and needs to go in any live action film. I don't care if it goes against the comics either. That representation needs to stop.
Yep. I hate the way they pose her in comics too with the focal point being her butt and breasts. None of that in live action either.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #274
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post

Wonder Woman is inspired by Ancient Hellenic culture, wherein many warriors fought nude apart from their helmets. I would reluctantly accept a fully nude Wonder Woman, but I feel that her briefs and bustier are more likely to keep the masses happy.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #275
Travesty
TEOL

You guys are crazy.

Closed Thread