The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #276
charl_huntress
The Offender
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 9,174
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Wonder Woman is inspired by Ancient Hellenic culture, wherein many warriors fought nude apart from their helmets. I would reluctantly accept a fully nude Wonder Woman, but I feel that her briefs and bustier are more likely to keep the masses happy.
Right, which is why the costume makes perfect sense on Themyscira. It is not a practical fight outfit for the modern day.

But...back on topic...no trunks on Batman.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
"Domine secundum actum meum noli me iudicare: nihil dignum in conspectu tuo egi. Ideo deprecor maiestatem tuam, ut tu Deus deleas iniquitatem meam."
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #277
Astro13Zombie
Exterminate
 
Astro13Zombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Raccoon City
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

I don't understand the both or neither argument for the trunks.

Is it that one would look weird next to other if only one was wearing them?
What about when they eventually make a JL movie?
Not all the other hero's wear trunks,so would superman and batman not look strange next to them in the same way?


Last edited by Astro13Zombie; 11-24-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Astro13Zombie is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #278
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,397
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Wonder Woman is as resilient as Superman, so I'm not sure why she really needs a "practical fight outfit." Her clothing makes more sense if it's background is cultural.

But, yeah. Trunks.

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #279
charl_huntress
The Offender
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 9,174
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro13Zombie View Post
I don't don't understand the both or neither argument for the trunks.

Is it that one would look weird next to other if only one was wearing them?
What about when they eventually make a JL movie?
Not all the other hero's wear trunks,so would superman and batman not look strange next to them in the same way?
I'm just going to be honest and say that if Supes doesn't get his traditional outfit then neither should Bats. For me it's just that simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Wonder Woman is as resilient as Superman, so I'm not sure why she really needs a "practical fight outfit." Her clothing makes more sense if it's background is cultural.

But, yeah. Trunks.
Sorry...I meant to say "practical fighting outfit", but I think you got it.

Well, I understand the cultural significance, but if they were to do that then I hope someone would to explain to Diana that the times have a changed.

Reg...why do you want the trunks?

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
"Domine secundum actum meum noli me iudicare: nihil dignum in conspectu tuo egi. Ideo deprecor maiestatem tuam, ut tu Deus deleas iniquitatem meam."
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #280
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,310
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Wonder Woman is inspired by Ancient Hellenic culture, wherein many warriors fought nude apart from their helmets. I would reluctantly accept a fully nude Wonder Woman, but I feel that her briefs and bustier are more likely to keep the masses happy.
That's nice. But in 2013 it just looks sexist. She can still have a Hellenic inspired costume that covers more skin.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #281
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,397
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

I don't especially, but nor do I object to them. I think they are a small detail that is fine to ignore or, alternatively, harmless to include.

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #282
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,397
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
That's nice. But in 2013 it just looks sexist. She can still have a Hellenic inspired costume that covers more skin.
She isn't from 2013. Does the crucifix look raunchy because Jesus is in his pants?

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #283
charl_huntress
The Offender
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 9,174
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I don't especially, but nor do I object to them. I think they are a small detail that is fine to ignore or, alternatively, harmless to include.
Agreed. I just hope they go for non-traditional since that's what they did with Supes.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
"Domine secundum actum meum noli me iudicare: nihil dignum in conspectu tuo egi. Ideo deprecor maiestatem tuam, ut tu Deus deleas iniquitatem meam."
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #284
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,310
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
She isn't from 2013. Does the crucifix look raunchy because Jesus is in his pants?
It's not the same thing. At all. Her being inspired by ancient Hellenics is not an excuse for a sexist portrayal. I'm sure they could come up with a costume that looks ancient, but isn't completely eye-roll inducing to females.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #285
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,397
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

I haven't heard much complaint about it, to be honest. In the context of comics, hers is a character that tends to be treated with notable respect.

I don't really approve of her being depicted with her panties riding up between her buttocks all of the time, but objectively speaking her classic costume is far from demeaning. She wears trunks and has bare arms. So did Robin for decades. Venture out if doors on a warm day and you will find that more women than men have bare arms and legs. Is this offensive to you? I won't seek to argue with you if it is, but I think it is expecting a lot of these genre movies for them to be more feminist than reality.

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #286
charl_huntress
The Offender
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 9,174
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

I don't have a problem with the outfit in the comics. The same as I don't have a problem with Huntress' outfit. Yet, I cannot watch a movie with some woman in a bustier fighting multiple assailants without thinking..."Put your girls away and then handle your business."...lol

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
"Domine secundum actum meum noli me iudicare: nihil dignum in conspectu tuo egi. Ideo deprecor maiestatem tuam, ut tu Deus deleas iniquitatem meam."
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #287
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,397
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Did you find Xena sexist?

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #288
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,225
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

I think JMC's design is perfect for live action WW. The battle skirt ends this ^ debate, looks awesome, and actually fits in with Greek culture

__________________
*\S/T*
Rorschach2012 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #289
charl_huntress
The Offender
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 9,174
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Did you find Xena sexist?
Xena was set in a world where her outfit made sense. Diana fighting in a bustier in a movie set in the modern day does not.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
"Domine secundum actum meum noli me iudicare: nihil dignum in conspectu tuo egi. Ideo deprecor maiestatem tuam, ut tu Deus deleas iniquitatem meam."
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #290
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,310
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I haven't heard much complaint about it, to be honest. In the context of comics, hers is a character that tends to be treated with notable respect.

I don't really approve of her being depicted with her panties riding up between her buttocks all of the time, but objectively speaking her classic costume is far from demeaning. She wears trunks and has bare arms. So did Robin for decades. Venture out if doors on a warm day and you will find that more women than men have bare arms and legs. Is this offensive to you? I won't seek to argue with you if it is, but I think it is expecting a lot of these genre movies for them to be more feminist than reality.
Of course you wouldn't hear much complaints. From men. I'd like to see what more women think. Although, they might be intimidated to talk about it since appearing as feminist in any way is frowned upon.

And she isn't often treated with respect. Check out this picture:



Versus this picture:



And no, I don't think women choosing to show skin when it's hot outside is sexist. I think women being drawn as sex objects by men for men is sexist.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #291
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,310
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I think JMC's design is perfect for live action WW. The battle skirt ends this ^ debate, looks awesome, and actually fits in with Greek culture
Would you or someone be kind enough to post that? I'm not sure if I've seen it.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #292
craigaat
World's Greatest Spy
 
craigaat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
What do you mean?
I mean with Superman's suit being from Krypton, it might be super strong or something. That way, Batman could just get himself one of those, paint it black/grey/whatever.

__________________
20
craigaat is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #293
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,225
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Xena was set in a world where her outfit made sense. Diana fighting in a bustier in a movie set in the modern day does not.
Gah I'm sorry but you're so off with this. I'm guessing you aren't a fan of her character. They explain why she wears what she does. She's from a tropical mythical island that hasn't been in contact with men for years. Their style of clothing is naturally going to be different.

Wonder Woman's outfit is iconic, not sexist

__________________
*\S/T*
Rorschach2012 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #294
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,225
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

And the WW pic posted above with the pants and the jacket is so stupid looking. Idk what point you're trying to prove. WW looks badass in the pic you posted with her regular costume

__________________
*\S/T*
Rorschach2012 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #295
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,397
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Well, firstly, I have more female friends than male, so you are making a significant assumption there. Secondly, I think the respect afforded to WW transcends the manner in which she is occasionally drawn. The flesh she exposes is, generally, treated as incidental by writers, though the art tends not to suggest that. Overall, I would argue that WW is a character that embodies many feminist virtues; but has bare legs. I would be more troubled by the contemporary treatment if characters like Firestar or Catwoman.

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #296
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,310
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
And the WW pic posted above with the pants and the jacket is so stupid looking. Idk what point you're trying to prove. WW looks badass in the pic you posted with her regular costume
She looks naked. That's what I'm saying. And it doesn't have to be that exact pants costume, that was just an example....

But whatever. Of course men would be fine with all of this and defend it. Heaven forbid someone take away the boobies. It's the same old story and the reason women just shut up about this stuff. So, that's all I have to say about this.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #297
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,397
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

I don't mean to be provocative, but it is just about possible that some women don't voice the same opinion as yours because they don't agree with it. We're all individuals, after all.

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #298
charl_huntress
The Offender
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 9,174
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Gah I'm sorry but you're so off with this. I'm guessing you aren't a fan of her character. They explain why she wears what she does. She's from a tropical mythical island that hasn't been in contact with men for years. Their style of clothing is naturally going to be different.

Wonder Woman's outfit is iconic, not sexist
I love Wondy...except when she's paired with Supes, and I get the iconic nature of her costume, but once she's here in the modern world then someone...anyone...has to tell her that it's not kosher.

I'm saying realistically for me...as a women...it's going to be hard to watch her kicking butt with her boobs and butt hanging out. I'm going to be eye-rolling at the screen all the time because...just no.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
"Domine secundum actum meum noli me iudicare: nihil dignum in conspectu tuo egi. Ideo deprecor maiestatem tuam, ut tu Deus deleas iniquitatem meam."
charl_huntress is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #299
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,584
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8



Remove sword, add lasso.
Cover the midriff in blue, open up the fingers and we're golden.

Such a shame Lucy probably won't be cast.

__________________
Face off remake has to star Christian Bale and Robert Downey.
Marvin is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #300
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,310
Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I don't mean to be provocative, but it is just about possible that some women don't voice the same opinion as yours because they don't agree with it. We're all individuals, after all.
Did I say that they did? I said I'd like to hear from more women. Not that all of them think that. Women are the ones that know what's "feminist" and "sexist" to them. Not men. And I admire any that do voice their opinions on this because in my experience, feminism is a dirty word to many people. And I mean no offense to you. You've been quite civil.

MrsKent26 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.