Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Slushy
Banned User

Default X-Men Sequel (2017 film)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Blend

FOXís X-Men movies have a somewhat hit or miss history with iconic Marvel storylines. Sometimes they get them right, while other times they find themselves way off the mark. Luckily for the studio, the newly rebooted timeline offers chances for them to correct errors of the past Ė and it seems thatís exactly what they intend to do. New rumors seem to indicate that FOX will use Sophie Turnerís Jean Grey for an adaptation of The Dark Phoenix Saga following the events of X-Men: Apocalypse.

This rumor comes to us courtesy of Heroic Hollywood. During a recent episode of Scoop Drop, it came forth that FOX may in fact attempt to once again try The Dark Phoenix Saga, and that the events of Apocalypse will lead to that storyline. The episode also cites quotes from director Bryan Singer, who recently alluded to something dark and malicious growing inside of Sophie Turnerís young Jean Grey. Itís not much to go on, but if itís true it will see one of the X-Menís most iconic storylines brought to life on the silver screen.

The Dark Phoenix Saga has become iconic as one of the most infamous X-Men stories of all time, if not one of the most legendary arcs in all of comics. Centering on X-Men member Jean Grey, the storyline sees her possessed by a malevolent entity known as the Phoenix Force. The possession turns her against her former teammates and develops her into one of the most powerful enemies ever faced by Charles Xavierís squad of mutants. FOX previously attempted the storyline all the way back in 2006 with the laughably bad X-Men: The Last Stand, but as most fans have generally reviled that film as hands down the weakest of the entire X-Men franchise, so itís best left forgotten.

For the X-Men franchise to return to The Dark Phoenix Saga logically makes sense. Although the timeline reset with the events of X-Men: Days of Future Past, it doesnít change the fact that Jean Grey as a character always had something sinister inside of her. This provides an opportunity for FOX to once again broach the iconic storyline while making important deviations from what didnít work in The Last Stand.

If FOX does indeed decide that they want to do The Dark Phoenix Saga again, then we are completely on board. However, we wonít know for sure if thatís the direction they will go with the story until X-Men: Apocalypse hits theaters on May 27. Keep your fingers firmly crossed, Marvel fans; I know I certainly will.

I'm totally stoked for this if the rumored plot is true! :woot:

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Stan Lee
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men Sequel (2017 film)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Isn't X-23 like not in the present? Lol, at least not currently, whether they will mess around with time to take her to the present or whether X-Force is set in the future who knows
She is supplanting Hope Summers as the mutant messiah. So Cable will probably bring her into the present.

Stan Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
psylockolussus
Mutated User

Default Re: X-Men Sequel (2017 film) - Part 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the 90s X-Men film ends up as the cross over movie with the X-Force. That surely would sell more seats than just another period X-Men film. Though that would only make it look the FC cast can't get the interest of the Ga (IN a way the origin cast did in the past) without using the cross over card. I think Fox might wait to see how massive Avengers 3 and JL will be at the box office before they decide to fully forward in a X-Men sequel.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Arrow Re: X-Men Sequel (2017 film)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Lee View Post
She is supplanting Hope Summers as the mutant messiah. So Cable will probably bring her into the present.
People assume X23 will be taken to the present because everything needs to be in the present apparently but you do have to make up some kinda excuse as to why you would go to 202-whatever to get this future mutant and take her to the past/present which is always easier to just say then it is to explain, like every time you wanna bring back a character you just say mr sinister cloned them which is OK to say but it feels like an empty plot device when you can use it whenever you need to change something.

It's like I must go to the future to pick up this girl and bring her back here for... Well so we can be a team to stop something that I am clearly here to stop and it's important for her to be here. well ok why? Because... I dunno I can time travel so I might as well use it to grab some random people.

Honestly if it was set in the future period I wouldn't be shocked as I assume no X-Men are in the future Logan setting so having a replacement team around wouldn't be a bad idea otherwise there is no like continued legacy I guess

J.J. Abrams ďWe are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.Ē

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 12-18-2016 at 10:49 AM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men Sequel (2017 film)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
People assume X23 will be taken to the present because everything needs to be in the present apparently but you do have to make up some kinda excuse as to why you would go to 202-whatever to get this future mutant and take her to the past/present which is always easier to just say then it is to explain, like every time you wanna bring back a character you just say mr sinister cloned them which is OK to say but it feels like an empty plot device when you can use it whenever you need to change something.

It's like I must go to the future to pick up this girl and bring her back here for... Well so we can be a team to stop something that I am clearly here to stop and it's important for her to be here. well ok why? Because... I dunno I can time travel so I might as well use it to grab some random people.

Honestly if it was set in the future period I wouldn't be shocked as I assume no X-Men are in the future Logan setting so having a replacement team around wouldn't be a bad idea otherwise there is no like continued legacy I guess
I agree with you.if X-23 Is a part of X-force which gets introduced In Deadpool III it can just be set after events of logan.

In comics Cable only time travels to far future he was taken as baby.at least that was how it was when i was buying comics with cable in 1990's and early 2000's.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

So let's talk about something someone else proposed Fox might be doing. The franchise with films starring the likes of The New Mutants, Deadpool, X-force, Gambit with X-men members as bit players. And no main X-men films.

Is this what we really want?

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
Reverse-Zoom
Side-Kick

I just want a Mr. Sinister that's comic accurate that would make all my fanboy dreams come true

Reverse-Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
psylockolussus
Mutated User

At Endzone, no. That is not what I want!

I want a X-Men film set in the present where you have Cyke, Storm, Jean, Beast, Rogue, Ice, Kitty, Colossus as adults and possibly already have their own mutant squads. And then introduce Gambit to the team as the new face/member. I don't get why its so hard for Fox to continue the story where the Future period of Dofp ended especially that one was a crowd pleaser. Then this year, Apocalypse is released and suddenly the momentum is over and now its all about Deadpool/New Mutants while X-Men are just in the back burner for now. I am fine with New Mutants as long as they still make X-Men movies set in the present.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-22-2016 at 07:54 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

If we are to go by the reasoning for not continuing with the OT cast after TLS, then presumably that cast would require a pretty sizeable budget. I'm not sure if that's still the case now as none of them are blowing up the box office.

Don't forget though that the production had to offer incentives for the various OT cast members in order to appear in their minor roles for DOFP.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #11
Reverse-Zoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
If we are to go by the reasoning for not continuing with the OT cast after TLS, then presumably that cast would require a pretty sizeable budget. I'm not sure if that's still the case now as none of them are blowing up the box office.

Don't forget though that the production had to offer incentives for the various OT cast members in order to appear in their minor roles for DOFP.

What kinda incentives

Old 12-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #12
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Inless X-men:New Mutants isn't seen as success and fox decedes to reboot
after Deadpool III:X-force there isn't going to be a X-Men film set in present.
Hell another X-Men film set in 1980's/1990's is a questen mark.

I do think a reboot makes DOFP pointless.and it says something that fox wanted to erase original trilogy-ok i don't care about last stand being erased-so
first class can do whatever they want and ignore original films and then next film without original cast they are right back to where the films where with first class.First class and apocalypse are basicly the same domesticly at box office though apocalypse did better overseas.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:49 AM   #13
psylockolussus
Mutated User

Quote:

A lot of them would sign up quickly to return. Though they might need to make Rogue a bad-ass now in order to get Paquin back.

Reading JLaw's recent comments made me appreciate the OT ladies when they were being vocal about the lack of dedication given to the characters, that they were portraying and that they wanted to do more!

Old 12-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #14
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
A lot of them would sign up quickly to return.

Who? Cudmore? Ashmore? I highly doubt any of the rest would sign on quickly. There would definitely be some negotiations. Would certainly be more expensive than using the young cast with a McAvoy/Hoult headline. Now you add Fassbender and JLaw into the mix you might be looking at a different story.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #15
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Time to thrown some reality.While original cast Is more popular to GA them
returning isn't going to happen.

for all those who want the films to be comic accurate I hate to tell them but being comic accurate requires wolverine.except from when he left team after magneto ripped out adamanturm for several months wolverine has almost
has always been with X-men since he was introduced during my years of
collectin X-Men up to mid 2000's.Xavier Is also big part of X-Men too.

Next after DOFP the only thing with original cast still part of official timeline
are Romijn and Jackman's cameos In first class,Jackman with first class cast
in 1973 part of DOFp,original cast in new future ending of DOFP,Jackman In APocalypse and soon jackman and stewart In Logan.It was clear back in 2014 except for Jackman the original cast was done.Stewart returning for logan is added bonus.

A film with original cast poential could cost 200 million to make.DOFP cost that.and quite honestly Fox may think they can go cheaper reneograting with Mcavoy and using apocalypse cast.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #16
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
So let's talk about something someone else proposed Fox might be doing. The franchise with films starring the likes of The New Mutants, Deadpool, X-force, Gambit with X-men members as bit players. And no main X-men films.

Is this what we really want?
It certainly seems like a feesible plan for Fox at this point, but I don't think it's worth worrying about long-term. They will do another mainline X-Men in a few years, no question. Maybe it's a good time to see what else Fox can produce in this universe first.

Due to the studio's horrible planning, they've not had a proper cast that resembles a traditional team line-up since 2006. They sunk all their stock in Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, which they've managed to milk (to varying degrees of success) for many years but in doing so never really built a foundation around anything else. Now he's about to go, they have to be scrambling for solid ground.

Apocalypse was the first film in 10 years to bring back a proper X-team, but it didn't go down well. Between its mediocre reception in general, and the lack of familiarity or affection from audiences in regards to the new cast; there is no knowing what the future holds.

Perhaps a cameo or two in intervening films could build some love for the new guys before the team is on-screen properly again.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #17
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
It certainly seems like a feesible plan for Fox at this point, but I don't think it's worth worrying about long-term. They will do another mainline X-Men in a few years, no question. Maybe it's a good time to see what else Fox can produce in this universe first.

Due to the studio's horrible planning, they've not had a proper cast that resembles a traditional team line-up since 2006. They sunk all their stock in Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, which they've managed to milk (to varying degrees of success) for many years but in doing so never really built a foundation around anything else. Now he's about to go, they have to be scrambling for solid ground.

Apocalypse was the first film in 10 years to bring back a proper X-team, but it didn't go down well. Between its mediocre reception in general, and the lack of familiarity or affection from audiences in regards to the new cast; there is no knowing what the future holds.

Perhaps a cameo or two in intervening films could build some love for the new guys before the team is on-screen properly again.
for one films suffer from the rothman era.after last stand he only wanted in being cheap to do films on wolverine and other films with new actors.it wasn't untill rothman was on his way out fox approved bringing back original cast with DOFP which was trying to use them to create intrest In younger cast.

problem is fox has to use the apocalypse cast remaining 2 films on their contract for eather supporting roles in new mutants or another full X-Men film.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
Reverse-Zoom
Side-Kick

Isnt jlaw and fassbender and mcavoy contracts up tho. Heard jlaw wasnt resigning either.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #19
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse-Zoom View Post
Isnt jlaw and fassbender and mcavoy contracts up tho. Heard jlaw wasnt resigning either.
they have to reneograte Mcavoy,Fassbender,Lawrence,and Hoult for any more X-Men films.The cast members introduced In APocalypse have 2 more films on their contract.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #20
Reverse-Zoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
they have to reneograte Mcavoy,Fassbender,Lawrence,and Hoult for any more X-Men films.The cast members introduced In APocalypse have 2 more films on their contract.
I'm just gonna assume mcavoy and hoult will be returning. I don't see jlaw or fassbender coming back. I'm almost positive I ready that she had no interest in the franchise anymore now that she is a huge star.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #21
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm just gonna assume mcavoy and hoult will be returning. I don't see jlaw or fassbender coming back. I'm almost positive I ready that she had no interest in the franchise anymore now that she is a huge star.
Mcavoy is most likely to return.He clearly has shown intrest In it.

after her recent dig at X-men Lawrence shouldn't even be approached.

I wouldn't discount Fassbender.he has expressed some intrest.also notice fassbender does a lot of films at fox.

Hoult i have no idea.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #22
Reverse-Zoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Mcavoy is most likely to return.He clearly has shown intrest In it.

after her recent dig at X-men Lawrence shouldn't even be approached.

I wouldn't discount Fassbender.he has expressed some intrest.also notice fassbender does a lot of films at fox.

Hoult i have no idea.
Hoult hasn't been in much really so I would figure he is a lock.
I hope fassbender does comeback but I didn't like the way singer wrote magneto in the last film

Old 12-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #23
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hoult hasn't been in much really so I would figure he is a lock.
I hope fassbender does comeback but I didn't like the way singer wrote magneto in the last film
Hoult could come back.his star has kind of fallen.he doesn't seen the diva lawrence is about makeup

as for magneto when you consider his hsitory in comics who knows what future director would do.to me magneto worked best as antagnoist of X-men or when he led X-Men in age of apocalypse.

even in comics when he took over for xavier at mansion Chris Claremont later returned him to antagist.as for taking magneto ruling genosha it worked in comics because of genosha long history from mid 1980's to late 1990's and was attempt to placate magneto.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #24
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Assassin's Creed is at 20% on Rottentomatoes. Fassy might want to come back.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #25
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Fassbender would be fine either way, he seems like one of those actors who is favoured enough to continue to get roles no matter what.

Although that being said I dunno why his status in Hollywood would make him turn his back in X-Men.

J.J. Abrams ďWe are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.Ē
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote