The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
HerosOnFilm
Side-Kick

Default What didn't you like about the film?

Personally, I thought it was very well done and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Couple things I didn't like...by no means deal breakers but:

1. Wish we saw Logan know more about the culture, such as knowing when to bow, etc.

2. His fighting style is unique, but it would have been good to see Logan with some more martial arts moves, at least self-defense wise. Seems like he gets cut up to hell then beats the baddie.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Default Re: What didn't you like about the film?

'Didn't like' may be too strong of a statement, but there are a couple of things that i wish were different about the movie.

-The third act. While i didn't have a real problem with it, i wish it could've been done differently.

-The Ninja fight. They showed this foght on all the trailers, and what we got on the film was only a fraction.What were they thinking when they cut it from the final product? It could've been a fight scene that rivals the bullet train scene...

Paladin-Hoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Double B
Side-Kick

I think we lacked a swordfight with Logan and yeah, I would have loved a little more cultural stuff. However, I must say, I was shocked by how big a presence the culture actually was in the film. I remember watching the trailers and agreeing with many on here than the spirit of sights of Japan just didn't seem to come across, but it was a real presence in the film. Like a character itself.

Also, the lack of ninja fight. I want to see it, and it should have been in the movie.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Shpati
Side-Kick

Everything. This movie sucked. I honestly liked Origins better. That was at least a fun first watch.

I wanted Wolverine's Japan background. Not his revisit. The characters were very tastless. I didn't care for them.

At least in the first one Sabertooth was pretty badass.

This whole X Men series needs a reboot. Too many directors and writers trying to tie their stories into one continuity.

Wolverine was only badass in the first and second x men movie.

Hugh is too old. I see why they made this movie take place in modern Japan.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
I think we lacked a swordfight with Logan
If you had adamantium claws why would you even bother to use a sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati
I wanted Wolverine's Japan background.
That was the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss
What were they thinking when they cut it from the final product?
Maybe they were thinking "these suckers won't know it's not in the film until it's too late and then we can use it to sell more copies of the unrated DVD".

Last edited by Arawn Fenn; 08-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Arawn Fenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe they were thinking "these suckers won't know it's not in the film until it's too late and then we can use it to sell more copies of the unrated DVD".
Could be. But i doubt it. I think it's more along the lines of having a huge fight so close to the final third act or the last fight.

Maybe Mangold will explain this in the DVD commentary. Curious as to what his reasoing were for cutting that fight scene.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
-The Ninja fight. They showed this foght on all the trailers, and what we got on the film was only a fraction.What were they thinking when they cut it from the final product? It could've been a fight scene that rivals the bullet train scene...
From what we're hearing, it may have put the PG-13 at risk.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Could be. But i doubt it. I think it's more along the lines of having a huge fight so close to the final third act or the last fight.

Maybe Mangold will explain this in the DVD commentary. Curious as to what his reasoing were for cutting that fight scene.
He already gave his reasoning, the fight was too violent for PG-13.

J_Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

^^ Oh! i didn;t know that!

Well, now i can't wait for the DVD!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
^^ Oh! i didn;t know that!

Well, now i can't wait for the DVD!!!
Yes, from what we've been gathering...the fight also involved Yukio, there was at least one explosion, Logan lighting up his cigar in the middle of that somewhere, and according to an article in EW, Logan getting trapped in a net and dragged by a scooter.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Jeez...i swear if those scenes WERE in the movie,we probably would have a better BO result. We, Wolverine fans love the movie as is, and to an extent so does the GA. But one common complain the GA have is the movie lack of action.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

- That Wolverine cuts himself to release his claws, and yet he never seems to bleed when he lost his healing factor. WTH?

- The entire third act.

- The ninja fight not existing.

- Viper. That they seemed to dub her showed a massive misstep imo.

- Making Jean seem as if she is Logan's great love. Weird.

- A few of the fight scenes early on were hard to follow at times. Not major though.

- Not a big deal, but I didn't like the foreshadowing of the finale so early. It felt like the big glowing sign from Beetlejuce. This will happen!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Third act.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Nothing that was so bad that I didn't like it.

But, I think the whole aspect with Yashida being the Silver Samurai isn't exactly what I would have wanted. I didn't like that they made Yukio a mutant. I'd have preferred that she wasn't.

Honestly, nothing really. Like I've said before, the biggest thing against this film for me is that I don't have much personal attachment to the comic arc being adapted. But I'm glad they adapted it so faithfully.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Only thing I didnt like was the way they handled Silver Samurai, I was lookin forward to them doing him justice as the character from the comics...Instead we got a completely different character.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

I've never been bothered by the lack of blood before, but I feel that this movie would have been a bit better with the extra gore. I know that's an impossible dream, but this is the first time the action felt a little limp because of the lack of it. That's just me though.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Yes, from what we've been gathering...the fight also involved Yukio, there was at least one explosion, Logan lighting up his cigar in the middle of that somewhere, and according to an article in EW, Logan getting trapped in a net and dragged by a scooter.
None of which sounds like it wouldn't fit in a PG-13 film.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn Fenn View Post
Yet, apparently it did.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerosOnFilm View Post
His fighting style is unique, but it would have been good to see Logan with some more martial arts moves, at least self-defense wise. Seems like he gets cut up to hell then beats the baddie.
I like the fact that he's a brawler on film. It makes more sense. Why would he ever need to learn pure technique when any errors he makes would simply be handled by his healing factor? The Shingen fight was perfect. Logan was good but Shingen was better... SO WHAT? It's been like that all of Logan's long life.

I've seen and enjoyed this film three times now and it holds up quite well. The only things I'd add/change will probably come in the extended cut. We needed a longer ninja battle.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
-The third act. While i didn't have a real problem with it, i wish it could've been done differently.

Same here!

and Harada.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn Fenn View Post
Maybe not on it's own, but in a film that already has a few f-bombs and other points of bad language, possibly some of the most violent fights we've have in the X-Men movie series yet, and a scene where Logan becomes charred by an atomic bomb and is nearly nothing more than a skeleton with charred flesh, they were already pushing the PG-13 limits as it was, so adding much more might have lost the rating.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #22
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

It only has the one f-bomb. If it uses more than one, it gets an R-rating. But it has fair amount of swearing beyond that one f-word, which still pushes the limits of the PG-13 rating.

As Nell also just pointed out, it has some of the most violent sequences seen in the X-Men films so far, from Logan's burns from the atom bomb, to the various stabbings, shootings, poisonings, and fight scenes, and of course the scene where Logan claws his way to his own heart to get the nano-bug out.

What's interesting is that I read that they were able to get away with the heart surgery scene because according to MPAA rules, Logan being a mutant means he's not human, so it didn't count the same way.

And, even though we don't see it, it's pretty obvious that Logan and Mariko spent the night together, and that adds to the content counted towards the PG-13 as well.

So while what we end up seeing in this missing ninja fight may or not be so explicit on its own for an R-rating, you have to consider everything else that contributed to the movie's rating.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #23
Brawl
Side-Kick

What I did not like is the total abandonment of the feral side of Wolverine. What made him so great was his inner struggle against his inner demons. He was always on this quest to see if he was truly a man with a feral side or a beast that sometimes acted like a human. I wanted him to go freaking nuts and total come out of a pile of dead ninja bodies 10 ft high with cuts and arrows sticking out soaked in blood and entrails. That is what made him the Wolverine!!

This movie made me feel like Clint Eastwood in "The Wolverine", I was just waiting for a "Right turn Clyde" reference to pop up all the time.

I think Jackman has done the character proud but I think we need a daraker grittier take on him done. I don't know if a high profile actor is needed as much for him to be done properly. I would like the main focus to be on the story then acting. I don't see why a huge amount of money is needed to do a really good wolverine movie. I think a Sin City CGI style could be implemented on this movie and bring it on a smaller budget and make it rated R.

Brawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #24
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

I think a lot of things could have been slightly adjusted to make for a better film.

A couple of things I didn't like -

the majority of the Japan section, in particular from the moment he arrives to the moment Mariko is taken to Viper. The chase scenes were too long and too similar, that whole middle section didn't really do much for the film except to have Logan sleep with Mariko, which seemed odd considering he was also 'sleeping' with Jean in his mind.

Some scenes were very simple, that basically spoon fed the audience which felt out of place. In particular the scene after Logan mentions (and i'm paraphrasing here) "The doctor, she did this to me" in reference to his healing factor. We then had a scene that's sole purpose was to reiterate that where Viper tells Harada "His flesh is weak, I did that to him, me, you should respect me" Or something like that. Wasn't necessary and I think they could have demonstrated her being in charge a better way.

His healing factor, many have pointed it out... but why could he retract his claws and 'heal' if his healing factor was suppressed? What gets me about this is that it's a simple thing to rectify and what I'm about to say would also assist with my first problem.

After the train fight I would have Logan retract his claws and be left with gaping holes. He then has to bandage himself up for them to heal. Because of this he cannot defend Mariko so during their stay together before she gets taken we should have had her training Logan with a katana and this would have also allowed us to see them grow closer together before they sleep together. This one change would've allowed us to have Logan fight with no claws at one point, we could have seen him with a sword and finally we could have watched him unsheathe them again to remove the thing suppressing his healing factor. Which would have made that scene even more brutal.

Other than those things I really enjoyed the start and the final act, especially the mid credits scene. I didn't hate the film, it's certainly the best we've got as of late but by no means the best it could have been.

RaZaTrOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawl View Post
This movie made me feel like Clint Eastwood in "The Wolverine", I was just waiting for a "Right turn Clyde" reference to pop up all the time.
I feel like he's channeling Eastwood in Origins to some extent. By contrast in the original films he's doing more of a "golly gee-whiz" kind of thing as the X-men newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay
Maybe not on it's own, but in a film that already has a few f-bombs and other points of bad language, possibly some of the most violent fights we've have in the X-Men movie series yet, and a scene where Logan becomes charred by an atomic bomb and is nearly nothing more than a skeleton with charred flesh, they were already pushing the PG-13 limits as it was, so adding much more might have lost the rating.
The way I'm looking at it is, if there were "R" things going on in the sequence, couldn't they have just trimmed or modified a few of those individual moments while keeping the bulk of the sequence largely intact? I highly doubt the deleted section was all R-worthy material from start to finish.

Last edited by Arawn Fenn; 08-05-2013 at 08:01 AM.