The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #301
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - Part 11

The comic books already push the suspense of disbelief to huge extents. It's a world where Batman went through 4 Robins, had his mantle succeeded twice and a ten year old son in the space of 5 years.

The regular DCU is inherently not like the real world. Man of Steel was supposed to be like the real world, it doesn't have the luxury of the entire city being destroyed every few weeks as a reliable trope. As such, it's far more noticable and jarring when a few blocks in a Manhattan-esque area being flattened.

In the world they have established with Man of Steel, it's like ours, and consequently, one of the worst disasters to face the US and would have huge ramifications, politically, economically etc.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #302
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I believe the only building that actually came down during the fight was the one Superman and Zod actually fought inside, and it appeared to have been evacuated. There was some damage done to other buildings but I believe that's the only one that was destroyed.

And anyway, when Superman fought Doomsday in the comics, Metropolis looked like a nuclear bomb went off.
Definitely and people didn't complain then. The problem nowadays too many people think that films need to be more realistic or more morally correct or something. Its like just enjoy it, if you don't like the film that's fine but don't pick away at it because we didn't see Superman help an old lady across the street lol

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #303
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Definitely and people didn't complain then. The problem nowadays too many people think that films need to be more realistic or more morally correct or something. Its like just enjoy it, if you don't like the film that's fine but don't pick away at it because we didn't see Superman help an old lady across the street lol
If you have a crazy piece of cinema such as this in your movie
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

...better make sure to include some sort or memorial or montage of the hero helping afterwards otherwise people will hold it or rather the director accountable for being insensitive, mind you this comparison slights allllllllllllll the heroism involved in MOS.
Anyways this only applies to Superman, not something like thor and the dark world or anything like that...

It really is the same with any film that's met with harsh detractors. If the film fails to please them, then any thing they don't like is treated like the end of the world and worth harping on till the end of time(see transformers films for example). Whereas if the film falls in the range of great to forgettable, then it's no big deal.

Last edited by Marvin; 11-27-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #304
roach
I am the night

I am reminded of this interview one of the producers to STAS, JL and JLU gave: "There hasn't been a Superman story where someone didn't say "That can't happen because Superman should have…."

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 11-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #305
GreenKToo
In the fire

I absouletly loved the action in mos. ITs what I have always
wanted from a Superman film.
That said, it wouldnt have hurt to show 15/30 seconds of supes helping the citizens afterwards.
Also the editing wasnt great. Still, it was the best superman film since S:TM for me.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #306
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I absouletly loved the action in mos. ITs what I have always
wanted from a Superman film.
That said, it wouldnt have hurt to show 15/30 seconds of supes helping the citizens afterwards.
Also the editing wasnt great. Still, it was the best superman film since S:TM for me.
If only more people out there would appreciate the difference between wouldn't have hurt vs needed/missing/failed(because of)

Would have been a different kinda summer.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #307
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yeah, there are certainly thing that I think could have made the movie a bit better (a montage of Superman flying around saving people after he first learns to fly, etc.) but just because the movie might have been missing a few things doesn't make it a failure.

The ones that really floor me are the people who claim SR was a better film because apparently all you need to make a good Superman movie is a blank-faced hero with minimal dialogue and no personality to stop giant objects from falling on people.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #308
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
I would say there are two reasons people talk so much about the destruction in MOS:

1. There was so much of it, on such a huge scale

and

2. The tone of the movie was ultra-serious and realistic

Combine those two things together and I think we can start to see why so many people were shocked by the level of destruction. Yes, we've seen cities destroyed before in movies like this, but often there's a more tongue-in-cheek, humorous or "popcorn" tone.

MOS was avowedly an attempt at a deadly serious, "realistic" interpretation of Superman. As a result, when you see that much chaos and destruction, it starts to seem less like meaningless blockbuster action and more like depressing news footage.

So maybe the real problem here is that Snyder & Co. were too successful in their goals.

Agreed. The reason it's been so criticized, and how some people felt it jarring, is not because of destruction per se, but how it was handled and felt within it's own context. You can't just compare it to a cartoon or even The Avengers as an argument – totally different overall feel and tone, that's why the same type of destruction also feels different.

Opinion wise I'm more inbetween, I don't totally dislike it, but I'm not a huge fan of everything about it either. Just like the movie as a whole

Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #309
shauner111
Side-Kick

OK folks, here's my prediction..

The title is NOT "Batman vs Superman" or "World's Finest" but it's actually..
Man Of Steel: Caped Crusader
. Which not only makes sense for Batman but the general audience may think that it's describing Superman if they dont know that phrase. I also noticed that ElMayimbe tweeted a mysterious title yesterday where he put "MAN OF STEEL:" then proceeded to write 14 stars (*) as a subtitle. With a space in between, Caped Crusader adds up to 14 letters. So bingo.

Calling it "MOS" is a way to pass this off as a solo sequel AND a crossover (however we want to see it). That way they dont feel obligated to create another solo Superman movie a few years down the road. They can do a "third" one several years later if they want.

Basically we would be getting 2 true Superman solo movies (my guess is the next will happen at the start of the next decade to close up Supermans story) and 2 individual Batman movies. With this 2015 movie serving as what could be looked at as a crossover between the two or better yet a solo movie for each character. If that makes any sense. Kinda rounding out a trilogy between Batsy and Supesy.

I think the trick with this title is for a while during tv spots/posters/trailers they wont show any writing or voice-overs. Just the Bat/Supe logo will do the job. But what needs to be written down officially for box-office, contracts, domain names for sites will be Man Of Steel: Caped Crusader. The trick is when the movie-goer goes to buy their ticket in July 2015, most people will shorten the title if it's long. They'll say either "1 ticket for Hunger Games" or the next person will say "1 ticket for Catching Fire". Same with Thor: Dark World or whatever the case. So here you'll have people asking for Man Of Steel or maybe Caped Crusader. So it comes off like a Superman solo movie or even a Batman film.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #310
Travesty
TEOL

Oh god, I hope not. I hate the title "Caped Crusader" for a more serious take on Batman. Sounds good for a more campy take, IMO.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #311
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post

Man Of Steel: Caped Crusader
. Which not only makes sense for Batman but the general audience may think that it's describing Superman if they dont know that phrase. I also noticed that ElMayimbe tweeted a mysterious title yesterday where he put "MAN OF STEEL:" then proceeded to write 14 stars (*) as a subtitle. With a space in between, Caped Crusader adds up to 14 letters. So bingo.

Calling it "MOS" is a way to pass this off as a solo sequel AND a crossover (however we want to see it). That way they dont feel obligated to create another solo Superman movie a few years down the road. They can do a "third" one several years later if they want.

Basically we would be getting 2 true Superman solo movies (my guess is the next will happen at the start of the next decade to close up Supermans story) and 2 individual Batman movies. With this 2015 movie serving as what could be looked at as a crossover between the two or better yet a solo movie for each character. If that makes any sense. Kinda rounding out a trilogy between Batsy and Supesy.

I think the trick with this title is for a while during tv spots/posters/trailers they wont show any writing or voice-overs. Just the Bat/Supe logo will do the job. But what needs to be written down officially for box-office, contracts, domain names for sites will be Man Of Steel: Caped Crusader. The trick is when the movie-goer goes to buy their ticket in July 2015, most people will shorten the title if it's long. They'll say either "1 ticket for Hunger Games" or the next person will say "1 ticket for Catching Fire". Same with Thor: Dark World or whatever the case. So here you'll have people asking for Man Of Steel or maybe Caped Crusader. So it comes off like a Superman solo movie or even a Batman film.
I can dig.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #312
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:

Man Of Steel: Caped Crusader. Which not only makes sense for Batman but the general audience may think that it's describing Superman if they dont know that phrase. I also noticed that ElMayimbe tweeted a mysterious title yesterday where he put "MAN OF STEEL:" then proceeded to write 14 stars (*) as a subtitle. With a space in between, Caped Crusader adds up to 14 letters. So bingo.

I can see that.

I'm still hoping for Man of Steel: World's Finest or Man of Steel: The World's Finest

Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #313
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

World's Finest also fits the 14 asterisks. Then again, its elMaybe.

My LEGO Gallery
Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #314
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Let's see here...

14 stars could equal 14 letters or x number of letters plus x number of spaces or punctuation. By those rules, the following could be the subtitle.

14 letters:

Beyond Darkness

Fighting Batman

Letters, spaces and punctuation that total 14:

Caped Crusader

World's Finest

Darkness Falls

Cuz I'm Batman

Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #315
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
World's Finest also fits the 14 asterisks. Then again, its elMaybe.

Yeah it does!

Here is hoping it is Man of Steel: World's Finest

Old 11-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #316
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
There's nothing controversial about green lantern -- everybody agrees that it sucks.
Um, I didn't say there was. Read my post again.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 11-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #317
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
There's nothing controversial about green lantern -- everybody agrees that it sucks.
How about:

Better an extremely controversial superhero film (Man of Steel) than a boring attempt to play it safe (Captain America).
No, not everybody. I enjoyed it. I may be in then minority, I don't know, but it certainly isn't everybody (and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who did like it)

*splat*
Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #318
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

I liked Green Lantern. I certainly think they could have done some things better in it, but I don't think its as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Unfortunately though, since it was so poorly received, I don't know that we'll ever see GL again on film, even in a Justice League movie.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #319
Marvin
Side-Kick

If that GL movie had come out in the 90's it would have been seen as no worse than MIB or the rest of the summer fare.
It was lame imo but it didn't deserve to be made an example of by an evolved audience or the critics.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #320
shauner111
Side-Kick

World's Finest, Darkness Falls (yes it's cliche) or Caped Crusader will most likely be the second title.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #321
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Has this been posted?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-batman-659568

Quote:
No. 4: Batman-Superman

Warner Bros. and director Zack Snyder recently wrapped testing actresses Olga Kurylenko (Oblivion), Elodie Yung (G.I. Joe: Retaliation) and Gal Gadot (Fast & Furious 6) for an unnamed role opposite Henry Cavill's Superman and Ben Affleck's Batman. Some have speculated that because the part calls for strength and training throughout the shoot, the character could be Wonder Woman.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 11-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #322
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
If that GL movie had come out in the 90's it would have been seen as no worse than MIB or the rest of the summer fare.
It was lame imo but it didn't deserve to be made an example of by an evolved audience or the critics.
Men In Black? Green Lantern is a piece of **** that shouldn't even be mentioned alongside MIB and that's still a lame 90s movie. But at least it's fun. It deserved everything it got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Im convinced it's Sasha Bardeaux. These actresses just fit that role.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #323
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Men In Black? Green Lantern is a piece of **** that shouldn't even be mentioned alongside MIB and that's still a lame 90s movie. But at least it's fun. It deserved everything it got.
well unless the critics were objectively reviewing "fun" with all their education and film knowledge...

Old 11-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #324
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
well unless the critics were objectively reviewing "fun" with all their education and film knowledge...
You know what the difference between GL and MIB is?

Will Smith makes it look good.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
NAILED IT!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #325
shauner111
Side-Kick

Men In Black, if my memory serves me right, was actually fun and had funny moments. Maybe even a fun soundtrack. Again, i havent seen it as an adult. But GL had none of that.

MIB also felt fresh when it was released. GL felt like a cheesy superhero movie that we've seen dozens of times already.

Closed Thread