The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Default Love man of steel

Okay okay...I've been all over SHH.com, Supermanhomepage, **************, etc...internet reviews and everything. And I feel that there is no better place to vent this but here.

I am a HUGE Superman fan. Like...really huge. And I love movies. All kinds, some of my favorites: Braveheart, Training Day, the Devil's Advocate, Gladiator, Boomerang, Gravity, The Story of Us, Wedding Crashers, etc...listed that to show a have a variety of taste.

I have watched Man of Steel countless times and I swear I seriously cannot understand the hate. I actually don't think there is that much, I just think those who don't like it are really loud.

But seriously...the movie is beyond amazing. Yes you can nitpick things, but if you are going to do it...please do it to every movie the same.

The acting, plot, dialogue, vfx, execution is so far superior to some other movies in this genre I can't even tell you. I just wanted to make a ranting post to the people who didn't like this movie...I feel so sorry for you. And I mean that, because I love this movie. It has replaced STM as my favorite Superman film and is now easily my favorite comic book movie...slowly becoming one of my favorite movies. For every knock against this movie I can find a reason a rebuttal and like 5 positives. I LOVE this film. Screw the haters. This movie is amazing.

That's all. Cheer on or hate on. We're getting a sequel either way.

Azrael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: Love man of steel

I think what it all really came down to was what you were looking for in a Superman movie. A lot of people, like myself, wanted to see a more modern, more unleashed superman and that is what we got. This version of Clark was so relateable; you really felt for him and felt his anguish and his sense of loss of direction. Henry Cavill was just OOZING Superman, you can tell he was born for this role. The cinematography, the acting, the music, the ACTION, it all came together so well.

Here's what i think happened: this film polarized people. Superman has been seen a certain way by the general public for decades and rarely ever wavered from that image until now. This movie was a shock to the system and people didn't know quite how to react to it, so they reacted negatively. Heck, I, myself quite honestly was taken aback when Supes broke Zod's neck. It disturbed me and I didn't know how I felt, but it was because I was not used to seeing Superman in such a situation. Upon further reflection, however, the more I thought about it the more I ended up loving the decision to have superman do it. It was done for a reason, it was done so that Superman would know what it felt like to take a life and now as a result he will never do it again. Snyder and Goyer knew this decision would rub ALOT of people the wrong way but I am so happy they went that path anyway. Its something we haven't seen before, its different, its innovative.

I think in time more and more people will look back on this film and find they didn't hate it as much as they thought they did. We're not used to this version of The Man of Steel and its going to take an adjustment period before people acclimated to this and that's okay. I'm just happy that we finally, after all these years, received a film that displayed in a stunning fashion what Superman is capable of and once again made him a very relatable superhero.

Last edited by kguillou; 11-25-2013 at 01:12 PM.
kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I think for me because I had such low expectations for the movie I wasn't holding it to any high standards. For me the movie just needed to hit enough of my personal Superman beats to be good and it hit all those. However, I know people who hate this movie. For them it didn't hit enough beats, or it hit the wrong ones all together.

Meh...to each their own, but I enjoyed the movie and I am excited for the sequel.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
I think what it all really came down to was what you were looking for in a Superman movie. A lot of people, like myself, wanted to see a more modern, more unleashed superman and that is what we got. This version of Clark was so relateable and you really felt his anguish. Henry Cavill was just OOZING Superman, you can tell he was born for this role. The cinematography, the acting, the music, the ACTION, it all came together so well.

Here's what i think happened: this film polarized people. Superman has been seen a certain way by the general public for decades and rarely ever wavered from that image until now. This movie was a shock to the system and people didn't know quite how to react to it, so they reacted negatively. Heck, I, myself quite honestly was taken aback when Supes broke Zod's neck. I disturbed me and I didn't know how I felt, but it was because I was not used to seeing Superman in such a situation. Upon further reflection, the more I thought about it the more I ended up loving the decision to have superman do it. It was done for a reason, it was done so that Superman would know what it felt like to take a life and now as a result he will never do it again.

I think in time more and more people will look back on this film and find they didn't hate it as much as they thought. We're not used to this version of superman and its going to take an adjustment period before people become used to this and that's okay. I'm just happy that we finally, after all these year, received a film that displayed in a stunning fashion was Superman is capable of and made him a very relatable superhero.
I agree with almost everything you said. The only difference was that I've seen Superman beat people to a bloody pulp in the comics all while grimacing. All though I didn't expect the neck break. lol The thing that irritates me the most is when people complain about MOS being to violent for Superman and that Superman wouldn't do the things that he did in MOS. Most of those people have never read a Superman Comic book a day in there lives.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
4NutzinYoface
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael24 View Post
Okay okay...I've been all over SHH.com, Supermanhomepage, **************, etc...internet reviews and everything. And I feel that there is no better place to vent this but here.

I am a HUGE Superman fan. Like...really huge. And I love movies. All kinds, some of my favorites: Braveheart, Training Day, the Devil's Advocate, Gladiator, Boomerang, Gravity, The Story of Us, Wedding Crashers, etc...listed that to show a have a variety of taste.

I have watched Man of Steel countless times and I swear I seriously cannot understand the hate. I actually don't think there is that much, I just think those who don't like it are really loud.

But seriously...the movie is beyond amazing. Yes you can nitpick things, but if you are going to do it...please do it to every movie the same.

The acting, plot, dialogue, vfx, execution is so far superior to some other movies in this genre I can't even tell you. I just wanted to make a ranting post to the people who didn't like this movie...I feel so sorry for you. And I mean that, because I love this movie. It has replaced STM as my favorite Superman film and is now easily my favorite comic book movie...slowly becoming one of my favorite movies. For every knock against this movie I can find a reason a rebuttal and like 5 positives. I LOVE this film. Screw the haters. This movie is amazing.

That's all. Cheer on or hate on. We're getting a sequel either way.

Ok, ok, THIS post is SO ****ing dead on its not even funny, have you been reading my diary or what!? Haha Just to preface I may need to vent a tad on this subject & I'm not trying to sound like the typical 'net/message board instigator' but I need to say the following:

Look, I am so all about "Love/Like whatever the heck blows up your skirt" but some of the criticisms about this epic (and I really hesitate using that word because its used & abused lately, but EPIC in every sense of the word and then some) feature film.

The killing of Zod? Get the **** over it! He literally murdered Zod & that big galoot from II and geezus, even LOIS killed someone! Yet people will take a bullet for that movie! Also all of this "Ohhh boooo so many people died, there was too much 'splosions or action" horse hooey. I'm sorry but it really angers me. Kal El can't be in 500 places at once, despite having been dubbed SUPERman lol it's an all out action packed war. I loved for just this one time the filmmakers pulled up their 'Big Boy' pants & yanked out their Always Ultra Floral Scented pads & had some BALLS to show just how devastating these events would actually be should they have occurred. And guess what? They didn't occur! Nobody actually died haha it's a damn movie!

So we've got an emo cry baby boring stale help cats out of trees Superman from Singers movie, the classic Reeve (which hey, I loved growing up and have mucho respect for but I was young, & it's all that was available in a time before Superhero movies actually became really really awesome and so beloved) movies, & then this gorgeously filmed, brilliantly scripted, acted, scored ACTION packed experience, & I for one am beyond grateful Goyer & Snyder brought it home, & then some.

4NutzinYoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I agree with almost everything you said. The only difference was that I've seen Superman beat people to a bloody pulp in the comics all while grimacing. All though I didn't expect the neck break. lol The thing that irritates me the most is when people complain about MOS being to violent for Superman and that Superman wouldn't do the things that he did in MOS. Most of those people have never read a Superman Comic book a day in there lives.

Thing is most people didn't have a problem with superman killing, it was the execution before and after the neck break......people wanted more self reflection after the events......superman breaking down wasn't enough for some.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think what it all really came down to was what you were looking for in a Superman movie. A lot of people, like myself, wanted to see a more modern, more unleashed superman and that is what we got. This version of Clark was so relateable; you really felt for him and felt his anguish and his sense of loss of direction. Henry Cavill was just OOZING Superman, you can tell he was born for this role. The cinematography, the acting, the music, the ACTION, it all came together so well.

Here's what i think happened: this film polarized people. Superman has been seen a certain way by the general public for decades and rarely ever wavered from that image until now. This movie was a shock to the system and people didn't know quite how to react to it, so they reacted negatively. Heck, I, myself quite honestly was taken aback when Supes broke Zod's neck. It disturbed me and I didn't know how I felt, but it was because I was not used to seeing Superman in such a situation. Upon further reflection, however, the more I thought about it the more I ended up loving the decision to have superman do it. It was done for a reason, it was done so that Superman would know what it felt like to take a life and now as a result he will never do it again. Snyder and Goyer knew this decision would rub ALOT of people the wrong way but I am so happy they went that path anyway. Its something we haven't seen before, its different, its innovative.

I think in time more and more people will look back on this film and find they didn't hate it as much as they thought they did. We're not used to this version of The Man of Steel and its going to take an adjustment period before people acclimated to this and that's okay. I'm just happy that we finally, after all these years, received a film that displayed in a stunning fashion what Superman is capable of and once again made him a very relatable superhero.
Very intelligent comment here. You are right. Most of the reviews I saw were from people who wanted Donner's Superman, Lois & Clark, or Smallville. Many individuals never read a comic. And for those who did and didn't like it, I'm even more puzzled. Mark Waid's rant about the movie meant nothing to me as just because you write a comic doesn't mean you know all about the character.

This is what I always wanted to see. Not even Superman unleashed as much as him doing something actually Super. Which he never really does in any movies. I agree. I think people will look back and be like, I get it. Even when I initially saw it, I liked it but not this much. My friend who attended the premiere with me (he's a spidey fan) looked at me and said, "I'm so happy for you. This is what you deserved...I am truly happy they made this Superman movie." I was perplexed by his response until my second viewing. So even for me, it was shocking.

But for the repeat viewers who are comic fans and really don't like it, I guess it depends on your taste. I like Superhero movies to be a bit gritty and real (not Nolan real, but not Avengers fantasy). Some like the comic-action thing that Marvel puts out. But for me, MOS was damn near perfection.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
Thing is most people didn't have a problem with superman killing, it was the execution before and after the neck break......people wanted more self reflection after the events......superman breaking down wasn't enough for some.
And I guess that is where I am most confused. The before was beautiful, the music slowed him screaming "Zod no! Don't do this!" Then afterwards, the scream of anguish and the tear, him grasping Lois....I have never seen ANY hero in ANY movie be that distraught over stopping a villain. Keaton didn't trip when Joker died in Batman, Bale was non-chalant when he threw himself into two-face..effectively KILLING him. Don't even get me started on any the Marvel guys. This is the only time I've ever seen remorse. I honestly think people are being a bit too sensitive and nitpicky.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
blumatic
Side-Kick

I remember when Bryan Singer released the history of Superman video and there was a section describing Superman's fighting style.

The person said that Superman is a brawler. He fights like he's in a tussle at a local bar.

The Comics and cartoons reflect that.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NutzinYoface View Post
Ok, ok, THIS post is SO ****ing dead on its not even funny, have you been reading my diary or what!? Haha Just to preface I may need to vent a tad on this subject & I'm not trying to sound like the typical 'net/message board instigator' but I need to say the following:

Look, I am so all about "Love/Like whatever the heck blows up your skirt" but some of the criticisms about this epic (and I really hesitate using that word because its used & abused lately, but EPIC in every sense of the word and then some) feature film.

The killing of Zod? Get the **** over it! He literally murdered Zod & that big galoot from II and geezus, even LOIS killed someone! Yet people will take a bullet for that movie! Also all of this "Ohhh boooo so many people died, there was too much 'splosions or action" horse hooey. I'm sorry but it really angers me. Kal El can't be in 500 places at once, despite having been dubbed SUPERman lol it's an all out action packed war. I loved for just this one time the filmmakers pulled up their 'Big Boy' pants & yanked out their Always Ultra Floral Scented pads & had some BALLS to show just how devastating these events would actually be should they have occurred. And guess what? They didn't occur! Nobody actually died haha it's a damn movie!

So we've got an emo cry baby boring stale help cats out of trees Superman from Singers movie, the classic Reeve (which hey, I loved growing up and have mucho respect for but I was young, & it's all that was available in a time before Superhero movies actually became really really awesome and so beloved) movies, & then this gorgeously filmed, brilliantly scripted, acted, scored ACTION packed experience, & I for one am beyond grateful Goyer & Snyder brought it home, & then some.

Exactly. Did anyone even understand that the Kryptonians under Zod's command killed thousands of people!? And they are upset Superman saved a mom, dad and child by taking Zod's life? Was everyone as upset when Batman killed two face in TDK? Or When Superman killed a POWERLESS Zod in SII? Get over yourselves.

I agree....to me, this was a man's movie. They brought out a real threat, (not take over the world, earthquake so I can have property or regular alien invasion and enslave humanity) no they were going to murder EVERYONE on Earth. ONLY Superman could handle that. And he did. What's more is he helped humans save themselves. People died, it was horrible, but that's why the stakes were so big. Has no one read the Reign of the Supermen back in the 90s where ALL of Coast City was destroyed by the Cyborg Superman. We are talking millions there people.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I think for me because I had such low expectations for the movie I wasn't holding it to any high standards. For me the movie just needed to hit enough of my personal Superman beats to be good and it hit all those. However, I know people who hate this movie. For them it didn't hit enough beats, or it hit the wrong ones all together.

Meh...to each their own, but I enjoyed the movie and I am excited for the sequel.
I would agree that this film didn't hit certain beats one would expect for Superman film, but it didn't miss those beats, they wanted to take the character elsewhere.

What MOS did for Superman was to let the character have its moment. It gave Superman a journey. I felt I was walking with Clark throughout the film, I got to know the guy.

In other Superman films I felt I was more in adoration, more looking up at the sky and being amazed at something that I see as untouchable, and when he was not Superman he belonged to Lois, not a chance to know who he is really.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
And I guess that is where I am most confused. The before was beautiful, the music slowed him screaming "Zod no! Don't do this!" Then afterwards, the scream of anguish and the tear, him grasping Lois....I have never seen ANY hero in ANY movie be that distraught over stopping a villain. Keaton didn't trip when Joker died in Batman, Bale was non-chalant when he threw himself into two-face..effectively KILLING him. Don't even get me started on any the Marvel guys. This is the only time I've ever seen remorse. I honestly think people are being a bit too sensitive and nitpicky.
I have a funny story about this. Since I didn't see the movie in the theater I told all my Superman friends not to tell me anything. I didn't want their opinion or anyone else's because I wanted to make my own judgments. I didn't read reviews or anything like that, so I was completely unaware of any criticism when I watched the movie for the first time. However, one of my friends told me that I would HATE the movie because of one part. Me and this dude are usually aligned in our views when it comes to Superman, so when he told me that I was concerned, but again I didn't let that affect my viewing experience.

lol...During the whole movie I kept waiting for this part. I was in love with pretty much the whole movie, but I kept waiting for this part. By the time I got to the end of the movie right before Supes killed Zod, I was like this dude is crazy! This movie is friggin great...and then I heard the bones snap.

At that point, I had to pause the movie and walk around my house for 10 minutes. I was in shock. I had to contemplate what I just saw and how that affected the other 2 hours of movie, and I realized that it didn't stop me from liking the movie. It was still a good Superman flick. It was not what I was expecting, but I contextualized it and moved on.

When I finally talked to this dude a couple of days ago, I let him know I watched the movie and he was like and you hated it right? We talked about it, but I think he has now dismissed all my views as a Superman fan . I don't even think we are still friends anymore...jk. We're still friends, but for him that scene just ruined the entire movie. He could not contextualize the killing. I brought up old comics where Supes has killed, but for him that scene just ruined it. For him MOS is not Superman. It's just not. I don't agree, but there are some people that feel that passionately about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
I would agree that this film didn't hit certain beats one would expect for Superman film, but it didn't miss those beats, they wanted to take the character elsewhere.

What MOS did for Superman was to let the character have its moment. It gave Superman a journey. I felt I was walking with Clark throughout the film, I got to know the guy.

In other Superman films I felt I was more in adoration, more looking up at the sky and being amazed at something that I see as untouchable, and when he was not Superman he belonged to Lois, not a chance to know who he is really.
I'm with you. It hit all the right beats for me that I could move past the killing. I see this like an elseworld where what I expect to happen is not the case. It was easy for me to see those beats, but not for some.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have a funny story about this. Since I didn't see the movie in the theater I told all my Superman friends not to tell me anything. I didn't want their opinion or anyone else's because I wanted to make my own judgments. I didn't read reviews or anything like that, so I was completely unaware of any criticism when I watched the movie for the first time. However, one of my friends told me that I would HATE the movie because of one part. Me and this dude are usually aligned in our views when it comes to Superman, so when he told me that I was concerned, but again I didn't let that affect my viewing experience.

lol...During the whole movie I kept waiting for this part. I was in love with pretty much the whole movie, but I kept waiting for this part. By the time I got to the end of the movie right before Supes killed Zod, I was like this dude is crazy! This movie is friggin great...and then I heard the bones snap.

At that point, I had to pause the movie and walk around my house for 10 minutes. I was in shock. I had to contemplate what I just saw and how that affected the other 2 hours of movie, and I realized that it didn't stop me from liking the movie. It was still a good Superman flick. It was not what I was expecting, but I contextualized it and moved on.

When I finally talked to this dude a couple of days ago, I let him know I watched the movie and he was like and you hated it right? We talked about it, but I think he has now dismissed all my views as a Superman fan . I don't even think we are still friends anymore...jk. We're still friends, but for him that scene just ruined the entire movie. He could not contextualize the killing. I brought up old comics where Supes has killed, but for him that scene just ruined it. For him MOS is not Superman. It's just not. I don't agree, but there are some people that feel that passionately about it.

I'm with you. It hit all the right beats for me that I could move past the killing. I see this like an elseworld where what I expect to happen is not the case. It was easy for me to see those beats, but not for some.
That's kind of my experience with the film as well. Actually, I had accidentally slightly spoiled myself on the ending beforehand. I was reading around these boards and at the time there were still all these rumors floating around about what happens in the film. I quickly glanced at some poster mentioning Supes breaking Zod's neck and I quickly looked away and refrained from reading any more until I saw the film.

Then I saw the film. I was having a blast with the movie until that ending part. The moment where Supes has his hands around Zod's neck pleading him to stop I thought to myself "Oh no, the rumor's true, he's gonna do it, he's gonna do it, he's gonna..." and then it happened and my heart sank. Now, if the film had ended on that dour note, my experience might have been different. But, the fact that they did not dwell on it and the fact that they ended the film with "Welcome to the planet, Clark" - "Glad to be here, Lois" followed by Zimmer's triumphant Man of Steel score-- it made me smile. It ended it on a great note despite the disturbing climax.

And then after thinking about it and letting the film marinate in my soul I became very much ok with it realized the reason behind it. This is Superman's origin- his tragic yet heroic origin. This young, inexperienced hero was faced with an impossible decision and all he knew in his mind was "I have to save these people, I have to save the people I care about. This madman must be stopped." So, he did the only thing he could do. A jarring decision, yes, but this decision will forever shape our hero and transform him into the Superman we've all known and loved for years.

Last edited by kguillou; 11-25-2013 at 05:29 PM.
kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

A very well-timed thread indeed. Expect an epic (well, as epic as I can manage) post on this one later on.

But for now, I'll just say that MOS was truly the epitome of awesomeness and an utterly worthy Superman film for the 21st century.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Maybe it's because I've seen like...I don't know...basically every incarnation of Superman, that the killing never bothered me. It's not as if he is Oliver Queen from Arrow or heck, even Bale in the Nolan Batman (who is responsible for multiple deaths), he was Superman...a man against doing it. Look, I do NOT believe in killing, but if I had to shoot a bad guy to save my family..um...I'd do it. So it made me relate.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
That's kind of my experience with the film as well. Actually, I had accidentally slightly spoiled myself on the ending beforehand. I was reading around these boards and at the time there were still all these rumors floating around about what happens in the film. I quickly glanced at some poster mentioning Supes breaking Zod's neck and I quickly looked away and refrained from reading any more until I saw the film.

Then I saw the film. I was having a blast with the movie until that ending part. The moment where Supes has his hands around Zod's neck pleading him to stop I thought to myself "Oh no, the rumor's true, he's gonna do it, he's gonna do it, he's gonna..." and then it happened and my heart sank. Now, if the film had ended on that dour note, my experience might have been different. But, the fact that they did not dwell on it and the fact that they ended the film with "Welcome to the planet, Clark" - "Glad to be here, Lois" followed by Zimmer's triumphant Man of Steel score-- it made me smile. It ended it on a great note despite the disturbing climax.

And then after thinking about it and letting the film marinate in my soul I became very much ok with it realized the reason behind it. This is Superman's origin- his tragic yet heroic origin. This young, inexperienced hero was faced with an impossible decision and all he knew in his mind was "I have to save these people, I have to save the people I care about. This madman must be stopped." So, he did the only thing he could do. A jarring decision, yes, but this decision will forever shape our hero and transform him into the Superman we've all known and loved for years.
LOL...I stayed away from the Hype because I knew that could easily happen. But seriously, I had to do the same thing you did. I had to really marinate on it. I had to think about it in the context of the film. I had to forgive Superman...lol. Once I did that I was okay, but I won't lie. I had to marinate on it too.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hear you, and I agree bout the nitpicking....sadly everyone has their superman in their heads and MOS definitely caught them off guard, some in a bad way and others in a good way......I just wish people more would keep an open mind

Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I felt when I got out of the theatre that I had been gifted a Superman movie I had not even known I had wanted. This was the more relatable and vulnerable, yet still good and powerful Superman I grew up with during the Byrne/Carlin era. But done in a manner that really brought the mythos to life. It's such a textured and detailed looking and feeling superhero film. Is it what I would have done? No. But I really marvel at what Snyder and Co. were able to do. Plus I get to have a DCCU on top of it all? Guess what? I win.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think what it all really came down to was what you were looking for in a Superman movie. A lot of people, like myself, wanted todidn't edmore modern, more unleashed superman and that is what we got. This version of Clark was so relateable; you really felt for him and felt his anguish and his sense of loss of direction. Henry Cavill was just OOZING Superman, you can tell he was born for this role. The cinematography, the acting, the music, the ACTION, it all came together so well.

I think audiences today can't appreciate a movie if the message wasn't shown clearly for them to see.

saving acts is vital important to a superhero movie. Marvels have been doing it beautifully in their movies. However it wasn't shown clearly in MOS.

They didn't see superman saving the billions of people personally. They didn't see superman sacrifice his own race. They didn't see superman fighting his life to take down general zod.

They saw superman saving lios, lois n lois only. They only saw destruction. They saw superman destroying the space ship n causing more destruction to the city. They saw superman fighting general zod n more destruction to the city. In the end, they saw superman killing zod. They didn't see n think further. They see this superman as a wrecker. There is a lot of this type of audience.

U can't choose ur audience. U need them all. Therefore, they have to paint it clearly for them to see next time.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I think audiences today can't appreciate a movie if the message wasn't shown clearly for them to see.

saving acts is vital important to a superhero movie. Marvels have been doing it beautifully in their movies. However it wasn't shown clearly in MOS.

They didn't see superman saving the billions of people personally. They didn't see superman sacrifice his own race. They didn't see superman fighting his life to take down general zod.

They saw superman saving lios, lois n lois only. They only saw destruction. They saw superman destroying the space ship n causing more destruction to the city. They saw superman fighting general zod n more destruction to the city. In the end, they saw superman killing zod. They didn't see n think further. They see this superman as a wrecker. There is a lot of this type of audience.

U can't choose ur audience. U need them all. Therefore, they have to paint it clearly for them to see next time.
Supes saved several people in the movie aside from Lois. I think people only focused on what they didn't like and missed the rest. You clearly missed a lot if that is all you saw.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #21
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:

You are referring to the execution of how he was portrayed. I agree, there could have been some improvements. But considering he saved multiple people before ever putting on the uniform is magnificent to me.

Marvel has not been doing this clearly IMO. Marvel has simply been putting slapstick comedy in some mediocre action sequences. Audiences eat that crap up. Has zero to do with quality. I'm actually very tired of the "Marvel" formula. As the last two movies I've seen by that studio were utter let downs.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #22
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
You are referring to the execution of how he was portrayed. I agree, there could have been some improvements. But considering he saved multiple people before ever putting on the uniform is magnificent to me.

Marvel has not been doing this clearly IMO. Marvel has simply been putting slapstick comedy in some mediocre action sequences. Audiences eat that crap up. Has zero to do with quality. I'm actually very tired of the "Marvel" formula. As the last two movies I've seen by that studio were utter let downs.
Whatever crap, mediore, comedy as u name it, it is selling n the general audience buying it like hot cake without much complaints. That matters the most.

People as well as some of the hardcore fans wanna see some exciting saving acts by superman... not kal el or clark. And most important, the destruction is too unbearable to them.

But I dont give a damn. N I welcome more awful destruction.
ya, I love MOS. If it had some brilliant saving action, it would be perfect though.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #23
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Supes saved several people in the movie aside from Lois. I think people only focused on what they didn't like and missed the rest. You clearly missed a lot if that is all you saw.
No. I love MOS.
I just pointing out my observation. Most Audience today only take the face value. They didnt see superman in blue tights red cape saving the people. They saw him causing the destruction. This isnt the superman they familar with n known of. Thus, mixed reaction.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #24
smallville fan
Hero

I love this thread.

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Whatever crap, mediore, comedy as u name it, it is selling n the general audience buying it like hot cake without much complaints. That matters the most.

People as well as some of the hardcore fans wanna see some exciting saving acts by superman... not kal el or clark. And most important, the destruction is too unbearable to them.

But I dont give a damn. N I welcome more awful destruction.
ya, I love MOS. If it had some brilliant saving action, it would be perfect though.
I don't think audiences are still eating it up. I think Marvel is currently riding the success of Avengers. Both Iron Man 3 and T:TDW are legitimately looked at as not good movies. They are riding a wave. If they don't change course, they won't maintain the same success. Remember Thor opened #1 on the weekend, but lost it's number 1 spot Friday to The Best Man Holiday. Who would think Thor would lose any day to a romantic comedy?

My point. They are riding a wave still.