Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I love this thread.
I agree.. best thread ever.. lol

Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: Love man of steel

Well, one common complaint I'm starting to hear emerge from the Marvel movies is the overuse of comedy. To me, that indicates that people ARE looking for more serious superhero movies. And don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with levity and comic relief but there needs to be a balance. Ironman 1 is the perfect example of a film that balanced its serious aspects with its humor aspects. Marvel has been struggling ever since to tame its slapstick comedy especially when coming from Robert Downey. There were times during Ironman 2, 3 and the Avengers where I was just like "Dude, can you STOP with the jokes for a second and act like Tony Stark!!?"

That's another thing I appreciated about Man of Steel; while, yes, it probably could have used a bit more levity, it was a serious, no holds-barred, badass superhero film. I've been waiting for a movie like this for some time.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I think the thing that continuously bugs me the most is seeing on how some go out of their to lament that MOS is more terrible than the likes of Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, or even Superman Returns.

I can understand why people had issues with MOS, but I just can’t understand why some feel that it’s a terrible film.

I enjoyed MOS for what it is: A reintroduction of the iconic character to a modern day audience. It wasn’t perfect, but it was the best vision that I’ve seen so far when compared to everyone (former directors) else’s visions in the past.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael24 View Post
My point. They are riding a wave still.
Indeed Marvel is. With all that comedy, all it's going to take is one Batman & Robin screw-up, which could most likely be, for example Ultron cracking witty Whedon jokes in Avengers 2 which could most likely end them. I don't want jokes in the robot apocalypse.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #30
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

When it comes down to it, I still think that “Iron Man 1” is the best example of having a good balance of both drama and comedy, where both elements compliment each other.

On another note, I feel like four scenes that I’ve kept pressing the rewind button over and over again are the moments when Clark first takes flight, the Terraforming scene when Superman stops the world engine, the moment when Superman saves Lois from crashing into the cornfield, and when Superman kills Zod.

The terraforming scene in particular is just beyond spectacular. I feel like the way metropolis was destroyed in that scene by Black Zero was just mind-blowing to watch. I kept thinking on the back of my head on how this was the way that a city should be attacked and destroyed by aliens within a comic book film since I could really feel the terror and panic among the citizens that were running for their lives, which I didn’t feel as much in the Invasion of New York for the Avengers.

And that breathtaking music that was playing in the background as Superman was trying his best to lift up from the ground and fly into the World Engine as Perry was trying to save Jenny. I could literally watch that moment over and over again and still not get tired of it.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #31
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I think some people just like to ***** just to *****...

The movie was great. My mom and dad watched it last night for the first time and liked it.

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #32
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think audiences are still eating it up. I think Marvel is currently riding the success of Avengers. Both Iron Man 3 and T:TDW are legitimately looked at as not good movies. They are riding a wave. If they don't change course, they won't maintain the same success. Remember Thor opened #1 on the weekend, but lost it's number 1 spot Friday to The Best Man Holiday. Who would think Thor would lose any day to a romantic comedy?

My point. They are riding a wave still.
IM3 is the 4th best selling of all time n Thor2 is making almost RM600M now. Both movies r only mediocre at best. Box office matters the most. They r certain charm in marvel movies n the audiences seem complain less.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I know people gripe about the destruction, but that was actually one of the things I really enjoyed about the movie. It was like a comic in that sense because there was a lot of it, which set up some serious ramifications for the sequels and future DC films. I really thought this set a good intro to any sequels because that sort of destruction would linger as a major event, which was just what the movie showed...a major event.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #34
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I loved watching all the buildings come down!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I know people gripe about the destruction, but that was actually one of the things I really enjoyed about the movie. It was like a comic in that sense because there was a lot of it, which set up some serious ramifications for the sequels and future DC films. I really thought this set a good intro to any sequels because that sort of destruction would linger as a major event, which was just what the movie showed...a major event.
I really don’t get why people had issues with the amount of Destruction that Zod caused with his attack on Metropolis. I thought the goal was to make Zod’s threat against humanity a legitimate one? Are people just used to seeing PG/G rated destruction where we only see explosions but don’t see anyone really getting hurt? Every time someone complains about the destruction, all I say is that go and look back at the years of comments that we got where people wanted to see some serious stuff take place with a superman film.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #36
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I personally loved Man of Steel, despite its flaws (some spotty cg and an exhausting final act). Probably in my top 5 favourite superhero movies.

I wouldn't recommend it to many people though. It's for people with specific tastes. Same deal with Watchmen.

(On the other hand, I haven't really gotten into any of the MCU movies, but I'd recommend them to most everyone. They're more accessible. )

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 11-26-2013 at 08:12 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #37
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
IM3 is the 4th best selling of all time n Thor2 is making almost RM600M now. Both movies r only mediocre at best. Box office matters the most. They r certain charm in marvel movies n the audiences seem complain less.
In some regards you are correct. In others, not so much. I'm not a movie exec, so the box office only matters enough to me to warrant a quality sequel. I don't need MOS to be the highest grossing movie to discuss its merits of quality against other films. By that logic we should all think the Twilight series is one of the best films ever.

Marvel is like Tyler Perry (whom I tend to like). Found there audience and riding the wave. I'm not hating, I just find there brand of movies to be fun, but shallow.

Azrael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #38
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I personally loved Man of Steel, despite its flaws (some spotty cg and an exhausting final act). Probably in my top 5 favourite superhero movies.

I wouldn't recommend it to many people though. It's for people with specific tastes. Same deal with Watchmen.

(On the other hand, I haven't really gotten into any of the MCU movies, but I'd recommend them to most everyone. They're more accessible. )
Interestingly enough, I've yet to recommend that movie to someone who didn't like it. Most people didn't see it do to critics reviews, but everyone I personally know who has seen it sense is amazed by it. Especially women! Which is very interesting as this tends to be a male dominated audience for this genre. And before everyone talks about "obviously because of the lead actor" most of the ladies comment about the action and quality of the film. Go figure.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #39
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I really don’t get why people had issues with the amount of Destruction that Zod caused with his attack on Metropolis. I thought the goal was to make Zod’s threat against humanity a legitimate one? Are people just used to seeing PG/G rated destruction where we only see explosions but don’t see anyone really getting hurt? Every time someone complains about the destruction, all I say is that go and look back at the years of comments that we got where people wanted to see some serious stuff take place with a superman film.
You hit the nail on the head. No one complained about the amount of destruction in Independence Day, The Core, Day After Tomorrow, etc. Superman usually comes to save the day during events like that...world ending. Not cats in trees. Zack and co. did the right thing by making the stakes that high. It will put him on another level in the eyes of the public.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #40
Azrael24
Side-Kick

The only real critique I have is the last fight with Zod. I LOVED it, but what threw everyone was how anti-climactic it was. What I mean is, the audience climax (the most emotional part for the audience) happened when Superman had to stop the World Engine and Jenny and Perry were about to die. That was your climax, afterwards, it seemed overkill for 'some people' (not me) because the climax was over. Exact same thing happened in the Dark Knight when Batman faced off with Two Face. The climax was the joker and the boats. It also happened in the last Matrix.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #41
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

I can see how that might have been the case for some, but for me the final fight with Zod leading up to his death was the most intense climax I have ever witnessed on film. Now I know not everyone went in with such a vested interest in Superman lore, but by the time Supes "ended the threat", my heart was literally pounding. It wasn't from the shock of him killing either, but rather that I felt the anguish of what he had to do, on a small scale. Now I wish, if only for a better reception from the GA, that they had spent another moment or two dealing with what just happened, but I loved it

And thank you for this thread btw. It is nice to have a place to just share the love lol!

Romans 8:38-39

Last edited by WoodyROM; 11-26-2013 at 11:59 PM.
WoodyROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #42
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
In some regards you are correct. In others, not so much. I'm not a movie exec, so the box office only matters enough to me to warrant a quality sequel. I don't need MOS to be the highest grossing movie to discuss its merits of quality against other films. By that logic we should all think the Twilight series is one of the best films ever.

Marvel is like Tyler Perry (whom I tend to like). Found there audience and riding the wave. I'm not hating, I just find there brand of movies to be fun, but shallow.
Maybe many audiences think that superhero movies should be fun. The depth is only a plus point.

N many refuse to watch a superman movie because they think superman is too perfect; super good looking, good physique, superpowers. Nothing is bothering him. He can solve most matters easily. There is no sense of suspend n urgency.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #43
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
No. I love MOS.
My bad...I am just lil' agitated by folks dissing the movie.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #44
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I think what I love about Man of Steel is the story-telling, it is just sooo amazing! The pacing was incredible, the character development was great, every scene made sense especially when the Superman suit came out, I was like "okay, genuis!", you really got to know the characters even the supporting characters who appeared in like 5 scenes or less. And oh boy the chemistry between Amy Adams and Henry Cavill is just perfection. They were cute! Kudos for Zack Synder for letting the movie breathe. And I have to say, man, the action!!! I haven't seen anything like it! I also liked how they desaturated the colors, it made the film to look so realistic!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #45
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I think what I love about Man of Steel is the story-telling, it is just sooo amazing! The pacing was incredible, the character development was great, every scene made sense especially when the Superman suit came out, I was like "okay, genuis!", you really got to know the characters even the supporting characters who appeared in like 5 scenes or less. And oh boy the chemistry between Amy Adams and Henry Cavill is just perfection. They were cute! Kudos for Zack Synder for letting the movie breathe. And I have to say, man, the action!!! I haven't seen anything like it! I also liked how they desaturated the colors, it made the film to look so realistic!
Exactly!!! N now with the blue ray, u can watch it every weekends without getting bored at all.
So exciting n bumped up.

How many times u have watched it? Which scenes your favorite? Any thing u dislike?

Old 11-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #46
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Yeah, that's what makes that complaint so weird. For years people were begging for him to punch something and then when he does they're upset. I don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I loved watching all the buildings come down!
Another of my favorite scenes was when him and Zod crashed into each other at pretty much full speed, and the impact from the blow destroyed part of the building. The music during that scene was just perfect! Considering how short that fight actually was it's amazing that it actually seems longer because of the sheer ferocity.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #47
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Yeah, that's what makes that complaint so weird. For years people were begging for him to punch something and then when he does they're upset. I don't get it.
Another of my favorite scenes was when him and Zod crashed into each other at pretty much full speed, and the impact from the blow destroyed part of the building. The music during that scene was just perfect! Considering how short that fight actually was it's amazing that it actually seems longer because of the sheer ferocity.
the mid-flight fights were awesome

Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #48
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I have a 3D TV and that is one of my favorite scenes because it really looks awesome.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #49
Azrael24
Side-Kick

I loved the final fight scene. I loved how it was broken into two parts...the part before Zod mastered flight and the part afterwards. I really enjoyed the space fight between the two as well..watching them tussle and turning one another until Supes' launches Zod into the satellite.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #50
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Epic post time, well as epic as I can manage.
I did exceed the post-limit by a couple of thousand words arguing about the stupidity of Superman Returns......but we won't go there.

Anyway, on to the best Superhero movie of 2013, and at least the equal of the Dark Knight. I'm not really a Marvel fan, but I have to say that Thor TDW
was a great fun movie, it lacks the emotional connection that MOS would have with serious Superman fans, but it's still a lot of fun - if you go in expecting a reasonable, but clichéd plot, some great effects /visuals and actions, you will go away happy......

Oh wait, I was going to talk about the BEST superhero movie in recent years, and of course (no disrespect Thor) that's got to be Man of Steel.

Where to start.

re-imaginging: Since Superman is THE original super-hero, his origins have probably been redone more than any other (although I'm sure Bats comes close). Anyway, Snyder and co do for Superman what JJ Abrams did for Star Trek and Larson and co did for Battlestar galactica.....dragged it into the 21st century.

I have no complaints, in fact I think that Snyder/Nolan/Goyer's vision is at least as compelling as the original - which I watched for comparison's sake, after seeing MOS a third time. I loved Chris Reeve as Superman, and SMTM was one of the great films of my childhood (more on that later). But time has moved on from 1978, and today's Superman needed to be a little more somber, and serious - which befits the character, who bears an enormous burden on his mighty shoulders.

Music: Again, I loved Williams' original score. The Superman march is right up there with the theme from Star Wars and Indiana Jones, if adventure could be communicated through music, that's what it'd sound like.

While Zimmer was going for a different approach - he doesn't like theme music you can hum along to- I loved the MOS score. If I had to criticize, I'd say he went a bit heavy on Zod's theme (although it really sets the stage for the whole Phantom zone exile scene), and I would have liked to hear the new Superman theme, which I suppose is the end titles - rather than just the tease we get in the flight scene (more on that later).

Lead: Cavill's been criticized as a frowning, sombre Superman. I think that's what they were going for. For most of the film the guy is a somewhat troubled loner, searching for his place in the world. Cav-El's performance reflects that. Understated, that's the word I'd used. But that's how Superman is, he doesn't say a lot, he's all about actions not words.

Cav-El's a Budweiser-drinking-football-watching-helping mom with the dishes-doing manual labour jobs- chest-hair sporting-beard growing-jeans wearing Superman.

He came right down to Earth, which made him more likeable, even than Reeve's charming bumbling Clark Kent. He had more charm than Brandon routh, even when he was on fire, hadn't shaved in weeks, and was wearing pants that looked he borrowed from the Hulk.

Supporting cast: Couldn't do any better than this lineup.

- Crowe was outstanding as Jor-El, considering any comparisons would be made with Brando. Not only does he pull off Krypton's greatest mind, but he kicks some ass as well. A terrific performance, in selling the most difficult part of the film -once an audience will accept an alien world, then the rest isn't so hard to buy into.

Lane- the emotional heart of the film. Her scenes with Cavill were superb. Nobody messes with Superman' mom.

Adams: The first Lois Lane I actually liked (and that's from every single depiction of Lois Lane on screen, on tv and animated) she was everything Lois is supposed to be, tough, confident and smart -but with a conscience. At present, Adams is certainly turning out to be one of the great actresses of her generation ( if you don't believe me, see the Fighter) and she did great
work here.

Costner: my other favourite scene "You're the answer son." wow. That's heavy stuff, but he carried it off. A lot of people complained about his death, but I thought that when Costner gives him the look and tells him to stay put, he sold it well enough that I'd accept it.

Villain: Zod ! A bit shouty, and no kneeling, but still a very worthy update. Probably the best moment was "....and now....I have no people." Right from the moment he shoots the old lady in the funny hat, we know he's the bad guy, yet we understand his motives, the rationale behind his murderous actions - to my mind that puts him head and shoulders above the rest of this year's villains (although Malekith too wanted to restore his world, he was a bit bland compared to Zod).

....and then there's Faora, who manages to combine slinky and badass in a way we haven't seen before.

Visuals: Wow ! Watch the Krypton bits in slo-mo and you really get the impression of a dying world, that the people have carved every ounce of natural resource out of .

And of course the unparalleled destruction in Metropolis, wow !

Action: Personally, I liked the battle of Smallville best. My favourite moment being when Supes punches Nam Ek about 5 times, flies him up and POW ! punches him down into the train yard (hope nobody wanted to catch that train). I mean, at last Superman punches someone !

Faora took super-human combat to a whole new level.

It's worth talking about the destruction in the film here, first, in Smallville the Army probably did more damage than the Kryptonians.
Second, as many of you have said, people wanted Superman to live in the real world (and punch things). Well folks, you can't have it both ways. When 2 beings of Superman's level of power throw-down in downtown, then downtown gets ****ed up !

Snyder and co pushed the envelope on what we'll accept from Superman and a comic book movie in general - certainly farther than Avengers, where nobody really seems to have died, despite an alien invasion.
Having the balls to confront the probable death toll/property damage from a Super-battle in a realistic way, is what propels MOS a step farther than Avengers ( yup, another comic book movie, we always know they're going to win, and nobody gets killed, just like the old A team episodes) MOS is bigger than that, bolder than that.

themes and story:

Okay, MOS is the hero's journey, in a more classic sense than any other super-hero character.

At every step his life is about struggle. It starts with his birth, in desperate circumstances, and follows a troubled childhood, and the struggle for identity.
We actually give a **** about this guy, and his emotional struggles.

( I liked that it was a natural birth, and him being the last child born on his planet, hence he really is the "last son" of krypton).

For a brief moment, when he uncovers his true identity he's happy "I found 'em mom, my parents, my people." The smile is that of someone who's finally
at peace.....and it only lasts a heartbeat before he's propelled into conflict with his own people.

Killing Zod, which people obviously didn't get, was the hardest thing he had to do, knowing that doing so would really make him the last of his kind, it was the ultimate expression of his choice between Earth and Krypton.

ON that note, I loved that this Superman grimaced, shouted, grunted when performing feats of strength ( e.g. flying Lois away from the singularity, smashing the world engine, slamming into Faora ....) everything was a struggle, despite his great power, nothing was easy for him.

All in all, this film is certainly a cut above Avengers, (way above IM 3) and the Thor films, in that it's not just an action movie, but a journey that follows the hero from birth, through the quest for identity, and to ultimately find his place in the world.

My Personal reaction:

I LOVED this movie. I have to put it level with SMTM as the ultimate Superman film (even if BM v SM is total **** it can't undo the greatness of MOS). I could pretty much fill pages and pages of posts with little moments I liked/loved, right from the fact that the movie begins, at the very beginning.

However, I'll only talk about one scene, as it's my favourite (and I suspect the favourite of others too). It's the flight scene.

The moment the ship doors open, and we see his outline, in costume for the first time.....I remember the thrill, and said to myself "THAT's Superman!"
because in my mind, that's exactly what Superman would look like.
Superman is a big guy, who radiates both power and humility, and that's what the visuals and Cavill's performance (and Snyder's direction, don't forget that)
captured perfectly.

(btw this scene is almost a second birth for the character, as the music is nearly identical to the music in the birth scene)

The only comparison I can think of was when I first saw LOTR, and Ian McKellen appears for the first time as Gandalf. Having read all the books as a kid, I had a very clear picture in my head of what Gandalf looked and sounded like, how he moved -and to my astonishment, that's what Sir Ian brought to life.

That was the same feeling I had during the flight scene. It was as though the essence of everything that was Superman (and to me Chris Reeve was Superman up until now, and JOhn Byrne's Superman stories the definitive comic book Superman), walked off the pages of the comic, and onto the screen.

This was a pretty awesome feeling I have to say, as I had been one of those people who, when I heard about Supes killing Zod, was all "Superman doesn't kill !" and I went in expecting to hate MOS.

Quite the reverse was true. When I walked out of Superman the movie, aged 8, I remember the thrill. It was like I could fly too. The ultimate gauge of MOS's success as a reinterpretation of Superman, is that when I walked out of the cinema, I felt the exact same way, I was 8 again.

criticisms from others:

Well, I can see that MOS was going to be one of those films you either got, or you didn't. If you were stuck on Reeve and Donner, then you probably didn't like it, and were horrified by the destruction.

I actually like that it split fans and critics, because that means it's not just another vanilla superhero movie, wham, bang, special effects, climactic battle scene, okay that was cool, time to go home. Love it or hate, MOS left a mark.

My problem is, that if I put it on the DVD player, even in the background, I get sucked into it (that used to happen when my wife would put inception on in the background), people will complain about what Snyder/Nolan/Goyer did with the character, but at least they did SOMETHING ! Singer **** all over Superman, when he tried to re-make those Reeve/Donner (I'm not acknowledging the Salkinds, because on all accounts they were pricks, please correct me if I'm wrong) movies, but what was a homage, was just horrible.
I hated Superman returns so much that I lost faith that the character could ever fly again on the big screen.

Thanks to Snyder and co for restoring my faith, because MOS is Superman as I always imagined him to be.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote