The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #51
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: Love man of steel

Epic post indeed. Thank you Batmannerism. I enjoyed reading that.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #52
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Epic post indeed, and yeah... I think the fact that it divided so many fans really validates the belief that this film really made a impact on people.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #53
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

great post.

On a side note, I just realized that the DCCU begins with Superman's birth. Love that. Very appropriate. (compared to the way Batman Begins or Iron Man starts).

Such a perfect way to start off a universe of superheroes, with the birth of Superman, the first major superhero in our culture.

Makes me wonder if the DCCU will end with his death and resurrection.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 11-28-2013 at 03:50 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #54
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
great post.

On a side note, I just realized that the DCCU begins with Superman's birth. Love that. Very appropriate. (compared to the way Batman Begins or Iron Man starts).

Such a perfect way to start off a universe of superheroes, by starting with the birth of Superman, the first major superhero in our culture.

Makes me wonder if the DCCU will end with his death and resurrection.
I actually wouldn't mind it ending with a film about the Legion of superheroes considering that their existence is a result of how the Justice league were victorious in paving a way for future heroes to emerge and unite, along with Superman having helped in bringing peaceful relations between earth and alien planets.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #55
Spider-Aziz
I like Nachos

I love it, definitely my favorite Superman movie, not only since Superman 2, my favorite, period
The fortress origin in both takes (this and the Donner one) is weird

"I Never Apologize."
Want to choose me as "Villain of 2014"?
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #56
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Batmannerism: Epic Post indeed. Agreed with all your points. Especially the part where Superman flies Nam Ek up..loved it.

And for all the haters criticizing the film...even a children get it. Seriously, watch these and tell all the dissenters to relax..it is a MOVIE. Kids get the importance of things and know how to enjoy life. Adults get to damn nitpicky which is why most are miserable human beings. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfB3I9TcdEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p28hLI1IZ8o

Azrael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #57
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Action: Personally, I liked the battle of Smallville best. My favourite moment being when Supes punches Nam Ek about 5 times, flies him up and POW ! punches him down into the train yard (hope nobody wanted to catch that train). I mean, at last Superman punches someone !
This is perhaps one of my favorite action sequences in the whole movie. I love the music that's playing. I love the sound effects from the punches. I love the noise that Namek makes when Supes lays that blow on his chest that sends him flying into the train. It was so cool! I want to say I seen something like that on STAS once, but I can't recall which episode.

LOL...speaking of trains...how about that train that just came flying out of no where? I had a WTF reaction like is that a train flying in the air...lol

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #58
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
This is perhaps one of my favorite action sequences in the whole movie. I love the music that's playing. I love the sound effects from the punches. I love the noise that Namek makes when Supes lays that blow on his chest that sends him flying into the train. It was so cool! I want to say I seen something like that on STAS once, but I can't recall which episode.

LOL...speaking of trains...how about that train that just came flying out of no where? I had a WTF reaction like is that a train flying in the air...lol
Love that train. You an see it flying in the air as the planes shoot the missels

Azrael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #59
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael24 View Post
Love that train. You an see it flying in the air as the planes shoot the missels
I never caught that before, that's awesome

Romans 8:38-39
WoodyROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #60
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

we are talking about the train that slams Superman into the SEARS store right??? That train didn't come out of nowhere...Nam-Ek threw it at him since Superman threw him into the trains. Maybe I missed something in the conversation here....

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #61
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
we are talking about the train that slams Superman into the SEARS store right??? That train didn't come out of nowhere...Nam-Ek threw it at him since Superman threw him into the trains. Maybe I missed something in the conversation here....
Well I meant come out of nowhere because it did. You kind of forget about Namek after Supes punched him, and then you remember him again because he throws a train. It was just so like WTF that it made me laugh. I know he threw it though. It was the way it just came out the blue that was kind of funny to me.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #62
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

oh, I think I see what you're talking about

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #63
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Thanks for the kind words about my post.

I was just thinking about Zod, and his first appearance. Everything you need to know about the character is established within the first 10 seconds of his appearance.
He disbands the council and shoots an old (unarmed) lady.
Talk about first impressions.

In terms of criticisms of the film, people may argue that 5,000 people probably died due
to the destruction of Metropolis and during the final smackdown with Zod.
However, that's the wrong end of the maths, the real figure is that 6,999,995,000 people lived as a result of Clark's actions. I don't like "ends justifies the means" arguments but as they go, the numbers are certainly in his favour.

Also, I don't understand why Lois being on Zod's ship was such a big deal. In terms of
plot contrivances it isn't too much of a stretch.

I mean it's not like all of a sudden Zod turned out to be a british actor, who was hired to pretend to terrorize the world while Steve Lombard (or some other minor annoying character) turned out to be the real Zod, who was manipulating things from behind the scenes to achieve some complicated end-game, and also get revenge on Kal-El for treating him like a nerd.....oh wait, I've seen that one.

I mean, what sort of movie would do that? Sorry IM 3 fans. Just kidding around.

Anyway, watching the Smallville fight in the background, and I don't understand why more people don't recognize it's awesomeness. It's vicious and brutal, (like when Nam Ek, boots him across the pavement) and exactly what we'd expect a fist-fight involving kryptonians to be like. I'm so glad Snyder dropped his usual slo-mo fight style, and just went for sheer speed and aggression.

Ah, there it is...Superman knees Nam Ek, then right, left, right, left, up in the air and then
left ! POW, into the train yard. Superman's not really a martial artist or trained fighter, he's a brawler, and this fight scene, is just that, a no-holds barred brawl. No disrespect
to Thor, but lets see him get hit by a train thrown by a Kryptonian, and not have a scratch.

I loved Thor TDW (not as much as MOS of course), and enjoyed Avengers, but there's no fight scene in those flicks that comes close (even Hulk vs Thor is nowhere near as intense).

And then Cav-El gives the soldiers that look.....again I don't get why people slag off his acting. Superman is a man of few words, he's understated.

And what does he do after fighting the Kryptonians, goes to check on his mom !

(I forgot to mention earlier, and it's been said by many, that they solved the central problem of Lois Lane - that she doesn't know Clark is Superman- by having her be the person who first works that out. That's like Alexander cutting the Gordian knot. Genius,
so simple, yet so effective. Really looking forward to how that plays out in sequels,
I reckon the rest of the Planet staff will figure it out pretty quickly).

Anyway, in summary, MOS = epitome of awesomeness ( Earth survives, Bad guys lose, and Superman -as always- prevails).

Peace out Super-fans !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #64
mace1
Side-Kick

Good thread.

Superman always caused destruction.

by MotorheadofSteeL-

Quote:
These animated versions of Superman are stories written by people who are closely related to comic books and some of them have actually written comic books themselves. Some of the stories, are stories taken straight out of the comics and some of them near direct adaptations of the most popular Superman graphic novels such as The Death of Superman.

More than anything, this video, is actually PROOF that Zack Snyder's Superman is much closer to Superman from the comics than the Reeve films. There is a common misconception that the Reeve films are really in tune with the source material but that is like I said... A common misconception. So without further ado I present to you.

"Animated Comic Book Superman Causing Destruction Montage"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lANkxWYsMRc
Watch for 2:31 it's sure to bring back some memories of Man of Steel!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/...read/222803814

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #65
mace1
Side-Kick

Man of Steel myths busted.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/...read/222789422

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #66
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace1 View Post
Good thread.

Superman always caused destruction.

by MotorheadofSteeL-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/...read/222803814

Nice post bro ! In fact, I'd go far as to say a "Super" post.

Gotta give Reeve/Donner their props though. That film, SMTM was so influential that Byrne integrated elements of it into the Superman reboot
(have you read the Johns /Donner "Last Son" ? pure awesomeness ).
True, not exactly in line with Superman as per the comics, but pretty amazing nonetheless.

Plus I don't think audiences at that time (and I was an audience member when SMTM came out back in 1978) would have handled the same scale of destruction as MOS, perhaps even less well
than some audiences have in today's world - some people really seem to
get hung up on it.

Anyway, I agree that Superman's epic fights should involve equally epic amounts of property damage.

cheers.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #67
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

The fact that there was so much property damage in SII is why it was such a beloved movie, in my opinion. I mean I like to think of Supes as a savior like character that makes everything right, but as I've gotten older I am now of a more nuanced frame of mind. I mean as shown in SII and MOS, if Superman is showing up in your town, things are actually NOT good! **** is going down!!! I don't care if it's an alien plot against the Earth, a volcano on main street or meteors brought down by a mad scientist, things would be rough to say the least, and compared to what could be done in the pre-digital vfx era, now they can show what those conflict could look like in a way that at least has the patina of reality.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #68
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

bump

Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #69
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Honestly, to this day I can’t even understand on how films like “Superman Returns”, “Spider-Man 3”, or “X-Men 3” have higher scores on RT than MOS.

Man of Steel wasn’t perfect, but by god, it’s nowhere near as bad as some claim it to be.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #70
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Honestly, to this day I can’t even understand on how films like “Superman Returns”, “Spider-Man 3”, or “X-Men 3” have higher scores on RT than MOS.

Man of Steel wasn’t perfect, but by god, it’s nowhere near as bad as some claim it to be.
Maybe u can write to RT n ask for clarification if u r really interested.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #71
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Maybe u can write to RT n ask for clarification if u r really interested.
That's the funny thing; the guy in charge of RT said that he was also shocked towards seeing the amount of Bad Reviews that the film got.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #72
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I love Man of Steel as well. Its a great movie.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #73
crimsontide
Side-Kick

Awesome thread!

I loved MOS, too!

Because of time constraints, I only got to see MOS twice in the theaters. I couldn't wait to see it again so I rented the Blue Ray last night from Redbox (My copy of the DVD is currently under the Christmas tree ).

In the comfort of my own home, I was determined to relax and be more open minded and look for all the flaws, plot holes, etc that I have read and heard about since the movie came out. However, for the third time seeing this movie, I was so spellbound by the story, the visuals, and the characters that the flaws somehow slipped by me....AGAIN! Dang it!

Someone in this thread said this is a man's movie!. I respectfully disagree. I am a woman and this movie blows my mind every time I see it.

Speaking of DVD's, my husband grabbed the last DVD at Walmart the other day. All the blue rays were sold out. For such a "terrible" movie, it sure is flying (pun intended) off the shelves!!

Last edited by crimsontide; 12-11-2013 at 09:04 AM.
crimsontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #74
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

MOS has become my favorite Superman movie followed by STM followed by Superman Returns.

And yes....It is a man's movie !

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #75
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
That's the funny thing; the guy in charge of RT said that he was also shocked towards seeing the amount of Bad Reviews that the film got.
This seems weird to me also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
MOS has become my favorite Superman movie followed by STM followed by Superman Returns. And yes....It is a man's movie !
Haha...I thought it had a good mix for both male and female fans.