Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #176
narrows101
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hugh Jackman IS The Wolverine Thread - Part 1

Quote:
The Last Word: Hugh Jackman
Tuesday, 18.02.2014 / 2:30 PM / CANADIENS magazine

He may have achieved A-list level success by bringing Marvel mutant Wolverine to the big screen in the X-Men movie franchise, but Hugh Jackman is more than a buff superhero with an adamantium skeleton and lethal set of claws. An entrepreneur, philanthropist, classically-trained thespian, and one-time People magazine Sexiest Man Alive titleholder, the 45-year-old refuses to be typecast, even when it comes to his sporting preferences. While he loves all things Aussie like any good Sydney-born boy should, Jackman also hides a soft spot for hockey, as we discovered during his recent trip to the Bell Centre.

You may not realize this, but Wolverine has some strong ties to Quebec. His first-ever appearance in the comic world was in a 1974 fight with the Hulk set right here in the province. Knowing youíve got some French Canadian roots, do you suddenly have a hankering for smoked meat and / or poutine?

HUGH JACKMAN: (laughs) Itís funny you mention that because I just tried poutine at Au Pied de Cochon. Itís one of my favorite restaurants. I actually count the dinner I had there once as the greatest dinner Iíve ever had. We started at 7:00 p.m. and we left at four in the morning. I guess it was a little more than a dinner.

Youíve been in and out of Montreal shooting X-Men: Days of Future Past; what do you like most about the city?

HJ: Itís beautiful here. Itís a great town with great restaurants and itís relatively easy getting around in this city. You donít spend hours trying to find yourself. Actors care a lot about their food, and the food here is great. It is a food town. I live in Melbourne in Australia and itís similar to Montreal. Itís more about food, sports, music and culture.

Jackman recently joned the Canadiens' loyal celebrity fan base during a game at the Bell Centre.

Youíre a pretty athletic guy, but Australia isnít exactly known as a hockey hotbed. Ever been on skates?

HJ: I have, actually. It used to be something people would do at birthday parties. It didnít go well because my brother slipped and someone skated over his fingers. He needed a lot of stitches; his fingers werenít quite sliced off, but close. I was actually thinking tonight that if only I had come earlier to Canada, I could have seen this and gone back home and played first string in Australia. I could have gone to the Olympics! (laughs)

Is this your first hockey game? Can we now count you among our loyal celebrity fan base?

HJ: Itís actually the second NHL game Iíve been to. I went to see the Canucks play while we shooting in Vancouver a few years ago. But you can now count me in your fan base. The atmosphere in Montreal is incredible.

Are you a sports fan?

HJ: I love sports. If I would have to pick my favorite, I would say itís the NFL. Iím a New York Giants fan. I love the NFL, Iím also into basketball. Back home in Australia I follow cricket, Aussie rules, rugby. But hockey is a great sport. I love live sports and thatís why hockey is one of the best sports. The atmosphere at the Bell Centre is about as good as anywhere in the world. When I was sitting down by the glass and the fans were all yelling I was like, ĎOh my God.í I couldnít believe it.

On the toughness scale, how does hockey compare to Aussie rules football?

HJ: This is tougher. At least youíve got grass in football. Here, everything is hard Ė even the puck is hard! Aussie rules football is a pretty tough sport; thereís the same kind of taking people out. But these guys go much faster.

Our players have pretty strict training regimens, but it canít be easy building the body of a superhero; how grueling is it getting into Wolverine shape?

HJ: Itís pretty bad. Iím 45 now, so it gets harder for each movie. I train about three hours per day. I do about two hours in the morning, an hour of cardio and an hour of weights. Then I try to do another session in the afternoon. I can have up to 6,000 calories per day during training.

Thatís a Michael Phelps-ian level of caloric intake!

HJ: Yeah, but I heard he was eating pancakes. A stack of pancakes is like 1,000 calories. You have to eat a lot of steamed chicken and broccoli to get 1,000 calories.

You hosted the Academy Awards in 2009. Having seen some of the real-time commentary on Twitter and online during the performances of hosts since, is it fair to say itís kind of a thankless job?

HJ: I didnít read one review, thankfully. Literally the first person I saw after the event the next morning said, ďI donít care what the LA Times said, you did a great job.Ē And I was like, ďWait, what did the LA Times say?Ē I decided I didnít want to read any more after that. (laughs)

Jackman's view from behind the bench during Game 1 of the 2013 NHL Playoffs.

Itís been 14 years since you first brought Wolverine to the big screen in X-Men. Whatís changed the most in your life since Wolvie came into it?
HJ:

I have two children now. Career-wise itís also changed a lot. I think one of the luckiest things that as ever happened to me is that I met my wife before it all happened. Iíve observed friends who are single and in our business itís hard to meet people. Thatís why so many actors date other actors. I love that Deb and I have been through it all together and sheís also been in a lot of movies and been famous, especially in Australia, so she understands. We can just enjoy life together.

You shot part of The Wolverine in Japan. Whatís the most exotic location youíve ever filmed for a shoot?

HJ: Japan is right up there. Tomonura is a beautiful fishing village and it was incredible being there. The South of France for Les Mis was pretty good as well.

How big a thrill is it for you to work alongside fellow Broadway and theater legends like Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart?

HJ: When I went to drama school, there were these classic series of Shakespeare tapes called the Barton tapes and thatís how I knew of Ian McKellen. He and Judy Dench and all of them are on these tapes. They were members in the Royal Shakespeare Company and I followed those tapes like a religion. When I heard I was in a movie with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen I couldnít believe it; think Pacino and De Niro in Heat and thatís what this is. Itís an absolute thrill.

When you signed on to star in Les Mis, did you have any idea how well-received it would be? What has it done for musical theatre in the US in general?

HJ: Musicals can only have a relatively limited audience. However well you do it, thereís always going to be a big part of the population that will just never get it. As beloved as it is, Phantom of the Opera is the biggest musical of all time, but no one really saw the movie. I would never have known that Les Mis would be that big and I was really proud to be a part of it. We worked really hard on it. It was one of those great surprises.

Do you prefer movies or Broadway?

HJ: Both, really. Right now Iím loving film more than ever, though. I would say honestly that it took me 10 years to feel as comfortable on film as I am on the stage. I grew up on the stage and I studied classical theatre and I kind of have an innate feeling being on stage. Film is a whole different world. Itís very fractured. You very rarely do more than a few minutes at once, so youíre barely acting for more than a few minutes at a time. Itís a lot of stop and starts and it takes a while to get the feeling for it.

What choreography is harder to nail: a fight scene or a dance number?

HJ: Good question. Theyíre both the same, actually. The best stuntmen are probably good dancers because itís not only about strength, but choreography and relaxation as well. Thereís certainly more injuries in fighting. During X-Men, I did most of my own fighting scenes, but say thereís a scene where my character has to go up on a wire and go through a wall or my head has to smack on the floor, the stuntman can do those!

When People magazine names you the Sexiest Man Alive, it officially guarantees you 365 days of bragging rights. How did you take advantage of the title? Getting business cards printed up, changing your voicemail messageÖ

HJ: Those were the good old days! (laughs) I pretty much did all those things. I carried magazines everywhere I went, left copies on the kidsí bedside table, you know how it is.

Do you ever get angry calls from Paul Hogan for having usurped him as the sexiest Aussie actor of all time?

HJ: (laughs) I did an event with him not that long ago and he had a great line. It was the night before I was nominated for a Golden Globe and he told me: ďMate, if you win tomorrow night at the Golden Globes, youíre a great actor but I want to put it all in perspective. I won a Golden Globe; if I can win one of those, anyone can!Ē

Catch Hugh in his latest turn as Wolverine in X-Men: Days of Future Past, which hits theatres on May 23, 2014. For real-time updates from the man himself, follow Jackman on Twitter.
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=705042

narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #177
Rike
Slim

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #178
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I wish they used the pic that they used for the Lithuanian banner.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #179
Rike
Slim

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #180
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikePirado View Post

"I'm The best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice bub!"

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #181
Super Film
Side-Kick

I was surprised when making this wallpaper, that they didn't release a different pose of Wolverine for the "full" body shot. Alas, I made do to try to match what I was doing with the other wallpapers. Jackman knows what he's doing and like you said Caped Knight, he does it so darn well.

Full Resolution (1920X1200)

Super Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #182
Rike
Slim

Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #183
narrows101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Au Pied de Cochon Feeds Wolverine, Maple Swag
Thursday, February 27, 2014, by Ian Harrison

PLATEAUó Hugh Jackman, seen here with the owners of Ta pies et supťrette on du Parc and recently in town to shoot some extra scenes for the next X-Men blockbuster, had a dinner worthy of Wolverine at Au Pied de Cochon. "It's one of my favorite restaurants. I actually count the dinner I had there once as the greatest dinner I've ever had. We started at 7:00 p.m. and we left at four in the morning." [Canadiens.nhl.com]

http://montreal.eater.com/archives/2...maple-swag.php

Old 02-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #184
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/2...itablea?page=2

Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #185
Rike
Slim

Old 03-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #186
DOFP
Side-Kick

He has a victor creed resemblance . . .

DOFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #187
narrows101
Side-Kick

Sneaky Hugh was on Good Morning America today, had no idea....

Hugh Jackman ‏@realhughjackman 23s
Hey George... did you want your seat back?! gma #XMEN #DOFP #FOX http://instagram.com/p/lNu9_oihPt/

http://instagram.com/p/lNEqalmkWd/#

Old 03-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #188
JP
Smelly

Damn!

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #189
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Doesn't he know he's supposed to tell us when he's going to show up on GMA?!

Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #190
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
He looks like Ahab in this picture.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #191
JP
Smelly

Maybe he just shot a segment for another day?

Old 03-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #192
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
The BEAST has been Unleashed!

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #193
narrows101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Doesn't he know he's supposed to tell us when he's going to show up on GMA?!
It's weird, because other than than those few I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, you know, like OMG HUGH JACKMAN IS ON GMA!!! Heh, maybe it was taped for later but he WAS in the studio today.

capitol_ej
Surrounded by some of the biggest Hollywood Hunks in the studio this am. Hugh Jackman, Scott Foley aka Jake Ballard, and Omar Epps

Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #194
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
This is the same look I've been giving people at work all week...it's been that kind of week.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #195
LEOZZTT
Side-Kick

Mumps?

LEOZZTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #196
narrows101
Side-Kick

Hugh is going to be on Ink Master (I think as a judge) on March 24 and apparently it's X-Men related:

Quote:
Ink Master
March 24, 10:00 p.m.

X-Men's Hugh Jackman
The Artists ink X-Men superfans with iconic X-Men characters in the first ever color portrait challenge. The Ultimate authority chooses the winner…...
http://www.spike.com/tv-schedule/2014-03-25

Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #197
JP
Smelly

Cool.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #198
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

March 24th seems to be a good day to be a DOFP fan.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #199
Rike
Slim

Old 03-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #200
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

The bottom tattoo is great, but that top one. Jesus.