The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 03-22-2014, 02:27 AM   #626
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Yeah there were no jokes after the death of Frigga for a while, but I would have liked Thor and Odin to show a bit more emotion at her death, a tear rolling down one of their cheeks at the funeral would have been sufficient.

TDW had a bigger final event than TA. In TA only New York with later possibly the world was in danger. In TDW EVERYTHING in existence was under threat, yet it never felt that way because the humour and lightness of it all meant there were no stakes. TA didnt have that problem for me.

As for the bolded, I thought that was great to.

I have no problem with people having a differing opinion, its been quite obvious from the start we werent going to agree on this .

In Thor 1 I loved the earth scenes, some of the best moments of the movie happened on Earth, here, some Earth scenes were good in TDW, but the final battle wasnt IMO.

I think of the two movies TDW needs a DC or EE more, but it would be good to get one for both. Dont know why Marvel are afraid of making a Thor movie over 2 hours. If a Superman or Batman movie can be 2 and a half hours long, Thor can be over 2 hours easily.

I just hope for Thor 3 they get their act together early on and have a clear vision with a director they let do his thing.

As for WS you will see my rating in my sig when I see it, it sounds like its finally something different from Marvel as well as a good movie, so I think I will enjoy it a lot.
I agree with you on the low runtime and lack of a clear direction. I think the death of Don Payne May have been a large factor in both instances. There was what, five or six credited writers credited, and the film really reflects that. Not to mention scenes Fiege or Taylor added in. Definitely felt like there were too many cooks in the kitchen; no singular or clear vision as a result.

As for the runtime, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel axed most of the Malekith scenes and Jane in Asgard scenes because the film wasn't going anywhere until the elf invasion. The first act felt meandered as it was and included more than enough exposition and backstory without them. The Malekith and jane in Asgard scenes could have dragged the first act of the film to an unbelievably tedious level.

GL: 4/10. SR: 6.5/10. BB: 8/10. TDK: 9/10. TDKR: 5/10. MOS: 6/10.

SM: 8/10. SM2: 7/10. SM3: 4/10. TASM: 6.5/10 TASM2: 6/10.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:46 AM   #627
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think much of the criticism of Thor: The Dark World is unfair. Frigga's death basically stops the movie cold for several minutes, and there is an extended funeral. No one is cracking jokes just after that happens. In the case of Loki, the scene with him "dying" in Thor's arms is touching. Then it is followed by a nice sweeping shot of the desolate landscape, which I think helps visually show Thor's pain. Loki's death scene had few witnesses, and they were on a time crunch storywise. The film had to keep moving. So, I am okay with the phone thing.

As for the climax, I love it. It is hilarious chaos, and I think it is good old fashioned fun. I think the problem is, people wanted something epic, like Conan the Barbarian. Instead, we got something closer to Conan the Destroyer. Which, I can see the disappointment. The movie does suffer from middle chapter sydrome a bit, but I think overall, it is a solid film. I have fun watching it. I also love IM3. To me, IM2 is Marvel Studios weakest film, and even that film I find fun to watch. So, I don't think Marvel has stumbled yet. Stumbling would be making something bad. They just haven't hit home runs on every movie. Some were just singles/doubles. Which is fine.

That said, Thor 3 should seek to be more epic. Thor: The Dark World being the fun middle chapter is fine, but Thor 3 needs that epic element. I think post-AoU, we need Cap 3, Thor 3, and any potential IM4 or Hulk 2 to be epic.
Man I agree with you.I still do not get what si SO wrong with this movie,it is so enjoyable for me.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #628
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think much of the criticism of Thor: The Dark World is unfair. Frigga's death basically stops the movie cold for several minutes, and there is an extended funeral. No one is cracking jokes just after that happens. In the case of Loki, the scene with him "dying" in Thor's arms is touching. Then it is followed by a nice sweeping shot of the desolate landscape, which I think helps visually show Thor's pain. Loki's death scene had few witnesses, and they were on a time crunch storywise. The film had to keep moving. So, I am okay with the phone thing.

As for the climax, I love it. It is hilarious chaos, and I think it is good old fashioned fun. I think the problem is, people wanted something epic, like Conan the Barbarian. Instead, we got something closer to Conan the Destroyer. Which, I can see the disappointment. The movie does suffer from middle chapter sydrome a bit, but I think overall, it is a solid film. I have fun watching it. I also love IM3. To me, IM2 is Marvel Studios weakest film, and even that film I find fun to watch. So, I don't think Marvel has stumbled yet. Stumbling would be making something bad. They just haven't hit home runs on every movie. Some were just singles/doubles. Which is fine.

That said, Thor 3 should seek to be more epic. Thor: The Dark World being the fun middle chapter is fine, but Thor 3 needs that epic element. I think post-AoU, we need Cap 3, Thor 3, and any potential IM4 or Hulk 2 to be epic.
I agree with this. When it comes to the MCU in general I think their lowest level is still high up and not only do I really like all of them, I find them all to be very rewatchable movies as most, if not all, even become better with repeated viewings.

As for Thor 3 it would certainly be nice if they made it really epic, both in scope and power level. I think Taylor absolutely nailed the look and feel of Asgard and it's people so they just need to stand on that and build higher.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #629
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

got the Steelbook Friday

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #630
JJmelo
Side-Kick

Wall Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I agree with this. When it comes to the MCU in general I think their lowest level is still high up and not only do I really like all of them, I find them all to be very rewatchable movies as most, if not all, even become better with repeated viewings.

As for Thor 3 it would certainly be nice if they made it really epic, both in scope and power level. I think Taylor absolutely nailed the look and feel of Asgard and it's people so they just need to stand on that and build higher.
I think Marvel has managed to showcase each of the characters very well except for Thor. I was expecting big battles and epic powers from Thor but was severely disappointed. In interviews and featurettes they would go on about how they wanted to showcase more of what Thor could actually do and they made him even more toned down than in his first movie. Thor has yet to top the fight scene in Jotunheim and we all know he is capable of so much more.

While I did enjoy the movie I think it fell very flat in terms of stepping up the Thor franchise. They need to drop Kat Dennings, work on the relationship or drop it all together for a shot at Sif, and make him and his world feel epic. There are nine realms but all we see are asgardians walking around. Where are the dwarves, elves (not dark elves), trolls and other creatures??

They should get Jason Aaron to write the next film, he just gets Thor... SURTUR!!

Just needed to get that off my chest lol

JJmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #631
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
got the Steelbook Friday

That is very awesome!

Vartha, out of curiosity, what were your final thoughts on the film? I feel like I know practically everyone's opinion on it around here except yours lol.

The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #632
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I liked it alot, my only problem was the way they Had the Dark elves talking in their own tongue when it was Just the dark elves talking to each other. I can see the first few scenes dubbed but after that what's the point?

Everything Else to ME was awesome. Asgard looked AMAZING

....to every King.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #633
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Very nice steelbook there.

Quote:
I liked it alot, my only problem was the way they Had the Dark elves talking in their own tongue when it was Just the dark elves talking to each other. I can see the first few scenes dubbed but after that what's the point?

There's only one way to solve that problem as a real Thor fan. You must learn everything they say by heart!

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #634
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:

See I didn't mind that. What I did mind was that they overdid it with the Earth scenes. Darcy, her intern, and Selving could have been cut and it really wouldn't have bothered me at all. Actually it would have made the movie better. Loki provided enough laughs as is.

Other than that though I loved it. Probably my second favorite Marvel film after Avengers.

The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #635
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Very nice steelbook there.

There's only one way to solve that problem as a real Thor fan. You must learn everything they say by heart!
lol I almost do lol

....to every King.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #636
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

well with ME Avengers still my top film, then TDW, First Avenger then Thor, IM, IM3, then TIH and IM2 are about a tie
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
See I didn't mind that. What I did mind was that they overdid it with the Earth scenes. Darcy, her intern, and Selving could have been cut and it really wouldn't have bothered me at all. Actually it would have made the movie better. Loki provided enough laughs as is.

Other than that though I loved it. Probably my second favorite Marvel film after Avengers.

....to every King.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #637
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Out of curiosity, does anyone here remember when the first set of information was released for this film regarding on how Thor was supposedly going to go around the Nine Realms to gather up a army in order to take on the Dark Elves?

I mean was that just rumors or an actual set of info released by Marvel?

Either way, when i think about things now, it would have been great to see that concept executed.

When I think about it now, if I had things my way, I would have had the Dark Elves awaken prior to the Aether being reactivated, and them being the ones to have established and brought up the Maruders and their attacks across the nine realms.

This would have all been a part of their plan to weaken Asgard's hold over the nine realms since they know that they couldn't go up against Asgard directly, and in their prime, with their current numbers.

This film also would have been the perfect time to establish some of Thor's Earth bound rogues, perhaps the Wrecking Crew, who would have been given powers by the Dark Elves as part of their plan mentioned above.

If it were at all possible, I still would have brought in Hawkeye as a major character in this film and broaden his character a bit.

The film would be at least 2 Hours and 12-20 minutes long, and rather than spending time with Marcy and company, or on Loki as much, I would have had Thor going around the nine realms and gathering a army of individuals made up from the 9 realms, with Hawkeye being included...perhaps after Odin falls into grief from the loss of Frigga, and thus no longer provides any reasonable aid to Thor or anyone else outside of Asgard.

And I would have definitely kept in the original ending of Thor summoning Lightning from all throughout the nine realms, via portals, as being the reason on how he could defeat Malekith who would have been powered up by the Aether. I also would have preferred if they established that Bor was the one that killed most of Malekith's people, and his family, as a way of making the character more layered.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #638
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

That was a rumor, All I recall was they Marvel
(Feige) said Thor would be going to other realms, and he/they never said how many.
The only place it was suggested that someone took Armies to other Realms was the Prequel Comic and it was TYR that left to fight.
In the Young readers book Thor says to Sif he came back from a few worlds when he reach Vanaheim, one realm he wasted Trolls

....to every King.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #639
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I still wonder why Marvel wanted to make Earth so prominent for Thor's films when they seemingly have no problem with making the vast cosmos the majority setting for Guardians of the galaxy.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #640
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Seems like Earth/Midgard is at the center of the Asgardian Realms AND the Yggdrasil Nebula yet compared to the rest we're the least powerful at this point

....to every King.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #641
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Heard a rumor at the theater from an employee lastnight that Hemsworth is trying to get out of the contract again. Anyone else hear this?

....to every King.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #642
Donut
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Nope but does MARVEL really treat these guys that bad that they want out ? These movies put most of these guys on the map & should finish out their contracts

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #643
warriorking
Side-Kick

Doubt it, but I believe with the success of TDW his agent is working hard to up his salary in Thor 3..
He or She would not be worth their salt if they did not try...

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #644
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Heard a rumor at the theater from an employee lastnight that Hemsworth is trying to get out of the contract again. Anyone else hear this?
Isn't he out filming AoU right now?

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #645
Marvolo
Side-Kick

He's just trying to increase his salary. I wouldn't worry about him actually leaving until after Avengers 3.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #646
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah didn't think anything of it really, since he tried once before
Apparently once Evan's amount of films are done, he's done.

....to every King.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #647
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I think of Eitri smithing Mjolnir when I listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVqRXB0J93Q

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

....to every King.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #648
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Man I can't wait to get more hours at work!!!! I just looked at the Hot Toys Thor from the first film and there are some good deals

....to every King.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #649
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

THIS is pretty funny.
http://video.wired.com/watch/angry-n...56_11081_20640

....to every King.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #650
First Avenger
Side-Kick

http://collider.com/anthony-hopkins-...r-3-interview/

Sir Anthony thinks he's gonna shoot THOR 3 next year.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote