The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #276
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Lol, so you're basically saying the costume isn't iconic and should be changed, yet the spin is iconic and should be used?

I've realized I agree with you on very few things. We have very different opinions on how WW should be portrayed.
Yes I'm sure we do. The spin is a call back to the show. It's iconic in that sense. As for the costume...well...I can't ever really say I saw Wondy's swimsuit as iconic as some. I mean yes it is because that's what she's been wearing for a while, but I wouldn't mind they make some changes to it because it does need some changes.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #277
batboy99
BTVS

Um yes it's iconic. WW is the biggest female character in comics, everyone knows her costume. You can adapt it, but not flat out change it. You have to keep the basic look. Tiara, bracelets, red top, blue bottoms.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #278
charl_huntress

Yes, I agree with that, but that doesn't mean it needs to be a bustier and panties. In this thread alone I've seen several versions of that classic look that could work that is not a bustier and panties.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #279
batboy99
BTVS

Oh yeah, I agree with that. It just needs to still say WW. People moan and ***** about the pants, but it still looks like Wonder Woman.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #280
charl_huntress

Oh I agree with that. I like the looks where she has on things that are akin to armor. She's a warrior so I like to see her dressed like one in the film as opposed to a fanboy's wet dream.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #281
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post
Oh yeah, I agree with that. It just needs to still say WW. People moan and ***** about the pants, but it still looks like Wonder Woman.

Her costume can still be iconic with some changes, just like Superman's and Batman's.

I just think she should have straps on the top and a battle skirt or pants on the bottom. That's all. She can still have warrior-like clothes and her traditional colors. She can still look like WW and be beautiful.

I'm sure you could come up with a great design. I like your tiara design better than her actual tiara.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #282
charl_huntress

Hey Batboy...speaking of your drawing. Did you hear anything from Gadot yet? Don't give up on that. Your work is really nice.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #283
Rorschach2012
$

Yeah, great job Batboy. The tiara is a huge improvement on the original. My only criticism would be that it looks much more like Monica Bellucci than it does Gadot. I'm not really seeing a Gadot resemblance. Still though, it's a fantastic drawing, and you have mad skills. Very photorealistic.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #284
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Oh I agree with that. I like the looks where she has on things that are akin to armor. She's a warrior so I like to see her dressed like one in the film as opposed to a fanboy's wet dream.
I'd actually like to see her dress like a superhero...I get that she is from a warrior society but that is one aspect of her.

I am leaning towards this being her costume...is it not conducive to crime fighting..sure...but nothing Batman and Superman wear is conducive to crime fighting either.

If I had my way:
This is what she wears on the island.

something like this when she comes to man's world:

Amazons wearing pants:

and then this when she decides to become a superhero:

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #285
charl_huntress

They could keep the spirit of that look.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #286
roach
I am the night

or something like this

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #287
charl_huntress

Truthfully, I would prefer that look.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #288
roach
I am the night

I think if you are worried about male gaze...it's gonna happen regardless if she's in a suit of armor or a swimsuit.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #289
MrsKent26
Whatever.

There's a difference between the costumers creating a costume that is specifically designed to pander to the male gaze and males looking at an attractive women in a warrior-like outfit. The second one is relatively innocent and can't be helped. The first is objectifying WW.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #290
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ This!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #291
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
or something like this

Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #292
charl_huntress

Quote:
I think if you are worried about male gaze...it's gonna happen regardless if she's in a suit of armor or a swimsuit.
That's not what I'm worried about at all. My point is she doesn't need to be in those clothes to look sexy and the clothes themselves are slightly sexist. I can't believe people are actually arguing for her costume for historical accuracy when we are talking about a land of magic...lol.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #293
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
or something like this

I'd really like this if they changed up some of the obnoxious lines on her pants. Also the stars on her hips have to go. Also the choker and arm band are very stupid.

Silver makes more sense on her costume than gold does. I always thought it looked weird for her arm bands to be silver, yet the metal parts on her chest are gold. If you're going to use silver or gold on a costume, it should be one or the other imo.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #294
roach
I am the night

I don't believe the costumes I posted were specifically designed to pander to the male gaze. There has to be a balance between being faithful to her look and her character.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #295
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ That can be done, roach. I read a lot of feminist literature and pay attention to this topic. I have called myself a feminist on more than one occasion. And I have seen numerous designs that do not offend me at all and would be more than acceptable. And some of those designs were suggested and posted by men, so I reckon they still find her attractive and think she looks like WW. I would like to re-post them, but am too lazy to find them all.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #296
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I normally hate the pants, but I liked that metallic armored look.

I don't want the new costume to bend over backwards to avoid showing skin, but I also don't want it to be designed to be provocative.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #297
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
That's not what I'm worried about at all. My point is she doesn't need to be in those clothes to look sexy and the clothes themselves are slightly sexist. I can't believe people are actually arguing for her costume for historical accuracy when we are talking about a land of magic...lol.
im not arguing for historical accuracy...I am arguing for being true to the look of Wonder Woman. I am arguing for the source material. I am not a woman so I can't comment on if something is sexist or not. I would like a Wonder Woman that looks like WW...just as much I argue for a Batman that looks like Batman without heavy black armor.
Now if they want to put her in pants then fine.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #298
charl_huntress

Quote:
im not arguing for historical accuracy...I am arguing for being true to the look of Wonder Woman. I am arguing for the source material. I am not a woman so I can't comment on if something is sexist or not. I would like a Wonder Woman that looks like WW...just as much I argue for a Batman that looks like Batman without heavy black armor.
Now if they want to put her in pants then fine.
I get that. I think they could achieve a costume or look that is true to the source in spirit and true to Wondy's looks in general, though it may not be the traditional costume some are hoping for.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #299
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ I normally hate the pants, but I liked that metallic armored look.

I don't want the new costume to bend over backwards to avoid showing skin, but I also don't want it to be designed to be provocative.

We pretty much agree on this. I don't think women's bodies should be demonized and totally hidden because that's just another form of sexism. But they should also not be exploited for strictly sexual purposes. It sounds difficult to do, but it isn't. I use Faora's MOS costume as an example. It was form-fitting and showing her figure, but it wasn't outlandish and way different than what the male Kryptonians wore. And many men thought she was sexy. And that's ok!

I also kinda like the metallic armored pants. I'm ok with skirts that aren't too mini as well. And give her some straps because trust me, tube tops fall down. They could even be worked into an armor motif with shoulder guards or something. Boots or sandals are good, but no high heels because it seems a bit silly.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #300
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
or something like this

I'd be perfectly fine if she wore a costume like that. The only thing that I would change is to give her shoulder straps or something to that affect. Basically, they would help explain how her top doesn't fall down whenever she fights, flies, or does any kind of strenuous physical activity.

Closed Thread