The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #351
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Okay, let me see if I can explain why the strap might be necessary. I keep calling Wondy's top a bustier because in fact it is a bustier. The design of that sort of top is meant to lift the breasts as well as draw attention to them.

You see where you eyes are going?????? Straps while not drawing the eyes away take away the bustier element. I'd be okay if the costume didn't have straps, but I can see why straps might be needed.
The "busty" element is easily mitigated by minimizing cleavage. This is entirely a product of design (as you said), and it has nothing to do with straps. Gal is not particularly gifted in that area and I don't think Snyder would be stupid to invite more sexist remarks after the Sucker Punch debacle. This is a non-issue.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #352
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I really wish they show us the costume so we can stop arguing about what we think they should do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Ditto. Just show it to us and rip off the bandaid.

Same with the batsuit.
Didn't they say recently they are still putting the finishing touches on the suits?

Anywho, they won't just rip off the band-aid. Its better marketing to stagger this stuff out and keep the excitement / anticipation level high.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #353
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Yeah, they did say that.

And you're probably right about the marketing. I wish they would reveal at least one of them soon.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #354
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
The "busty" element is easily mitigated by minimizing cleavage. This is entirely a product of design (as you said), and it has nothing to do with straps. Gal is not particularly gifted in that area and I don't think Snyder would be stupid to invite more sexist remarks after the Sucker Punch debacle. This is a non-issue.
I'm not so sure of this. I'm really not. As I've said before there are a lot of subtle and not so subtle sexual overtones to Wonder Woman...period. I'm unsure how Synder will play to those elements. I for one would like to see him play up more of her warrior elements, which is why I support a costume that would be worn by a warrior and a not a visiting super model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Didn't they say recently they are still putting the finishing touches on the suits?
At this point I'm more curious to see Wondy's suit than Batman's.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #355
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not so sure of this. I'm really not.
While I would love to research this and provide thorough examples, surely you can imagine how varying women's tank tops can be? All that needs to be done is lean on the side that isn't wholly suggestive.

Quote:
As I've said before there are a lot of subtle and not so subtle sexual overtones to Wonder Woman...period. I'm unsure how Synder will play to those elements. I for one would like to see him play up more of her warrior elements, which is why I support a costume that would be worn by a warrior and a not a visiting super model.
I don't disagree. As you said though the sexual undertones are highly prevalent to the core of the character and I think it would be more of a disservice to focus entirely on her warrior aspect as it's an incomplete representation. There is a mature way of handling sex commentary. This may not be the appropriate film or production team to do it, but it isn't a WW film anyway so that won't pose a problem.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #356
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
I'm not so sure of this. I'm really not. As I've said before there are a lot of subtle and not so subtle sexual overtones to Wonder Woman...period. I'm unsure how Synder will play to those elements. I for one would like to see him play up more of her warrior elements, which is why I support a costume that would be worn by a warrior and a not a visiting super model.At this point I'm more curious to see Wondy's suit than Batman's.
I'm more curious to see Batman's. I want to know if it is going to be really different and better than what has come before or if it will have the same limitations and problems.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #357
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
While I would love to research this and provide thorough examples, surely you can imagine how varying women's tank tops can be? All that needs to be done is lean on the side that isn't wholly suggestive.
lol...I was talking about Synder not sexualizing Wondy. As for the top...well it really depends on what the designer is going for. It can be both warrior-like and sexy, while still keeping the spirit of the costume in the comics. Nothing is really ever one way or the other, but we'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
I don't disagree. As you said though the sexual undertones are highly prevalent to the core of the character and I think it would be more of a disservice to focus entirely on her warrior aspect as it's an incomplete representation. There is a mature way of handling sex commentary. This may not be the appropriate film or production team to do it, but it isn't a WW film anyway so that won't pose a problem.
Agreed. I'm just not sure if Snyder has learned his lesson though. We'll see.
Quote:
I'm more curious to see Batman's. I want to know if it is going to be really different and better than what has come before or if it will have the same limitations and problems.
You guys have spent a lot of time debating Bat's suit, and I'll agree the representation over the years in live action leaves a lot to be desired. Yet here's my take...I think it's going to look very much like all the other suits, but there will be grey. It will still have the same limitations IMO.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 12-26-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #358
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I'm more nervous to see Wondy's and Superman's costumes, but more excited to see Batman's.

I'm nervous about WW's because I fear Zack will use the "comic faithful" excuse to make it as revealing as possible and I'm just done with that in regards to female costumes after seeing it so much. No more excuses. Treat them as characters, not sex objects. Male costumes are updated and hers should be too.

I'm nervous to see Superman's because I don't want too much changed about it since I like it so much.

I'm excited about Batman's because I do have faith that one will be awesome. It has to be different that Nolan's, so I'm eager to see a more visually pleasing design that remembers he wants to look Bat-like, not just practical.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #359
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Snyder didn't treat Lois as a sex object, or Faora. So there's that.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #360
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Male costumes are updated and hers should be too.
LOL...pretty much everyone but the girls get costume updates over the years.
Quote:
True. That is true. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He could totally surprise me.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #361
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
That helps. I want to believe in him...I really do. I just worry he'll think about the comic book faithfulness too much and forget about other issues. But if he manages to pull it off, I'll be so happy.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #362
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

If anybody was a sex object in MOS, it was Cavill, with all those shirtless scenes.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 AM   #363
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
If anybody was a sex object in MOS, it was Cavill, with all those shirtless scenes.
lol...Yep. He knew exactly what he was doing too. In the commentary, he basically just flat out said it. This is why I'm still a bit afraid of how he will handle Wondy. She is a sex object that is idealized. He has to keep true to that, but not go over board. This from the man who couldn't turn off the slo-mo in Watchmen and my hopes are not exceedingly high.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:56 AM   #364
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

There's commentary? Where?

Old 12-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #365
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I meant the Journey to Discover feature. During the feature, Sydner literally pauses the movie and says this was where we wanted everyone to know Cavill is Superman. He says he knew how important those shirtless shots would be and that Gym Jones and Cavill worked specifically for those shots.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #366
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

There's a way to show her characteristic physical beauty without being tasteless or overly seductive/lascivious. The heroes in Schumacher's Batman and Robin are pretty heavily dressed, but the constant crotch / chest / butt zooms and shots are disgusting and offensive. I didn't find Cavill's shirtless scene to be anything obnoxious like that. Nor did I find the soldier's line at the end ("he's kinda hot") to be sexist... just an acknowledgment that the guy is attractive. That kinda stuff is innocent enough, I think.

I can see the concern that Snyder might "Sucker Punch" Wonder Woman, if you know what I mean. But I'll worry about that when I see signs that it is happening...

Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #367
MrsKent26
Whatever.

It's in the Blu-ray features. He said he wanted people to know "what you see is what you get with this Superman." Basically, he must have heard those fanboy complaints that Cavill was too small. He wanted people to see how big Henry was and not think it was all a muscle suit. I think it was mostly about proof of his size than anything. That ab close-up was kinda gratuitous, but it was short. And it didn't keep happening throughout the film. I certainly don't mind looking at Cavill, so I won't deny it. But I hope Zack doesn't get carried away with stuff like that.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #368
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

ha, I don't remember an ab close-up... maybe I missed it. I wasn't paying as much attention as the ladies, I think.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #369
MrsKent26
Whatever.

haha, could be true. If it's there, I will look at it. It was during the oil rig scene when he was holding up the structure. The camera dips down for some reason. Well, the only reason is to show his abs, I reckon. It didn't offend me much because it's not like he's treated like that the whole film or has to fight in a silly, skimpy costume.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #370
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

What would be the WW equivalent of a shirtless Cavill ?

Not saying we absolutely should have one, just curious :P

... Batman !!!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #371
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post

THE SPIN!!!! lol

And for you Phantasm

Old 12-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #372
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post

There is none. While men can be objectified, it doesn't have the same cultural implications and hasn't been as prevalent for so long as what females endure. Females experience significant problems in society as a result of being treated as sex objects. Portraying that in a movie only sends the message that this is ok. There can't be any while women got to see that, so men should get to see this. There hasn't been huge issues related to the objectification of men throughout history and in society.

By the way, thanks for asking and being civil. It's nice.

Last edited by MrsKent26; 12-26-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #373
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Ugh, I hate that. So unnecessary

Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #374
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
haha, could be true. If it's there, I will look at it. It was during the oil rig scene when he was holding up the structure. The camera dips down for some reason. Well, the only reason is to show his abs, I reckon. It didn't offend me much because it's not like he's treated like that the whole film or has to fight in a silly, skimpy costume.
Oh yeah, I do remember that now that you mention it. I know what you are talking about.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #375
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Batman View Post
Ugh, I hate that. So unnecessary
It is a bit too far. Again, I enjoyed it on an animal level. By logically...they didn't need that ab shot.

Closed Thread