The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #776
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
The fan art above is how I would picture Kristen Stewart as Wonder Woman.
OMG that's true. It actually looks like they used her as a character study. :shudders:

:o
Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #777
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Well in the comics the Amazonians were enslaved and wear the bracelets as a reminder of their captivity.
I'm not familiar with that part of the backstory. Is that new or have I just completely blocked that out?

If they work that in, I could see it working really well, but getting too deep into Amazon stuff might be pushing too hard in what is "supposed" to be a Superman/Batman movie. I feel like this movie will just have Wonder Woman pop up "fully formed" and if we get to explore the island or mythology stuff, it'll be in a solo film.

edit: I just looked it up. Apparently it comes from her origins as a bondage-themed "feminist" superhero. That makes me question going in that direction now... Should she also lose her powers when she gets tied up?

Last edited by Afrobean; 12-31-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #778
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
I'm not familiar with that part of the backstory. Is that new or have I just completely blocked that out?

If they work that in, I could see it working really well, but getting too deep into Amazon stuff might be pushing too hard in what is "supposed" to be a Superman/Batman movie. I feel like this movie will just have Wonder Woman pop up "fully formed" and if we get to explore the island or mythology stuff, it'll be in a solo film.

edit: I just looked it up. Apparently it comes from her origins as a bondage-themed "feminist" superhero. That makes me question going in that direction now... Should she also lose her powers when she gets tied up?
Yes the bracelets, and the lasso it could be argued, come from Marston's, umm... unique relationship with the two women in his life. But in story, I believe the bracelets as a remembrance of the Amazon nations time in slavery has indeed been the explanation since, I think the immediate post crisis time.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #779
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Hehee...those sexual overtones for Wondy will get you all the time.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #780
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

What if, instead of a uni-boob for Amazons, it's just a uni-bra?

Old 12-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #781
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What if, instead of a uni-boob for Amazons, it's just a uni-bra?
So with limited knowledge of the Amazons of Greek mythology, I hadn't heard of the "uni-boob" aspect. In all the era statues and other artwork I've seen, their female form looks normal to me. Can someone point me in the direction of reference to this? Obviously it's not part of the Wonder Woman story, so there's no need to worry for the film.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #782
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1979 View Post
So with limited knowledge of the Amazons of Greek mythology, I hadn't heard of the "uni-boob" aspect. In all the era statues and other artwork I've seen, their female form looks normal to me. Can someone point me in the direction of reference to this? Obviously it's not part of the Wonder Woman story, so there's no need to worry for the film.
It's probably on Wikipedia, but the Amazons would cut off their right breast because it got in the way of shooting a bow and arrow. I think the right arm was known as the bow arm.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #783
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
It's probably on Wikipedia, but the Amazons would cut off their right breast because it got in the way of shooting a bow and arrow. I think the right arm was known as the bow arm.
Damn, that's badass!!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #784
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1979 View Post
Damn, that's badass!!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #785
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

I don't see them incorporating that "uni-breast" aspect into this depiction of Amazons though. Wonder woman is proud to be a woman and wouldn't disfigure herself for any reason, I don't think.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #786
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's the popular story now, but it's not really a part of the "real" mythology of the Amazons. The breast removal thing is even more fictional than every other part of the Amazon mythos. There is no evidence to suggest this happened either in reality or in stories, and it seems that the reason this idea has propagated so fully is that the name "Amazon" is close to the Greek word "amazos", meaning "without breast". Perhaps their name is meaningful in this regard, but there are still no credible sources indicating that they "really" did this. As far as I know, no period art depicts this curiosity at all.

And in reality, most athletic women would have no trouble throwing a javelin or shooting a bow and arrow. Breasts don't impede physical activity that much, especially if we're considering a woman in peak athletic conditioning.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #787
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

kristen stewart would've been a better wonder woman than this "girl getout". at least she can act...sure all of her emotions look the same, but that's acting you guys. ugh. omg.worst movie ever. i'm not going to see it.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #788
floreairfoot
There's a storm coming.

Something Xena-ish..

Old 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #789
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
kristen stewart would've been a better wonder woman than this "girl getout". at least she can act...sure all of her emotions look the same, but that's acting you guys. ugh. omg.worst movie ever. i'm not going to see it.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #790
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
Can you stop with the sarcasm in every single post you make?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #791
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post

yiss. wonder woman needs to be unlikeable. and dull. not a beautiful statue-esque woman. i want a girl brooding, emotionlessness, alternativeism, hipster d-bag wonder woman

Old 12-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #792
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
Can you stop with the sarcasm in every single post you make?
it's like 70% sarcastic. let's be realistic here. it is a superhero movie we're talking about. realism is an important factor.

also why do you care? if you knew what a joke was, you would have fun just like others and myself are having. if my posts bother you that much, just ignore them. no harm done.
funny story: a poster called "i see spidey" took a joke i made about tom hanks being lex so seriously that she tried to block me(which is something you can do, but you'll miss out on a laugh. just one laugh, a chuckle a single "hah" if you will), then later was a huge supporter of hanks as lex. the point is you shouldn't take things so seriously.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 AM   #793
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 AM   #794
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Imagine if the roles were reversed.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #795
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #796
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

^^I would prefer Diana's costume to look like the women behind her.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #797
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

It is annoying how the amazons have gotten really great uniforms and WW looks out of place.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #798
Loki882
Side-Kick

Unfortunately, that happens A LOT in the comics. I'm constantly asking myself "these Amazons have cool and unique costumes that are both attractive and sensible, so why is WW the ONLY one dressing in a glorified swimsuit?" That picture above (great art btw) really shows how stupid that it looks. Wonder Girl's costume can be excused by the fact that her mother is human and was the one who raised her.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #799
Bren
Forevernoob

Clearly in Amazonian culture, the more powerful you are the less you need to wear.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #800
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
That's how they explained it in past continuities. But that's outdated by now. So I doubt her costume in the film will look like the US flag. Just like her nu52 one doesn't.
Really? Red top: check Blue pants: check Silver/ white stars, stripes and eagle/ww symbol: check Looks even more like the US flag than before.

Closed Thread