The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #351
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Default Re: X-Men: Apocalypse coming in 2016!

But why would they? Is Ellen Page 90 years old? Why exactly would they kick out Ellen Page for...who else exactly? Whats the point when they could have NOT brought her back and rebooted.

NuTrek worked (for some) because it was mostly a reboot from the get go with such an age difference between Nimoy and Quinto that it is actually believable continuity wise. But it was a cameo by one character as opposed to 30% of this film being a completely different movie than the other 70%. And that Trek movie was to introduce it to newer younger people. This movie is already relevant to the audience with half the cast well known.

Youre assuming audiences are too stupid to notice Ellen Pages character in 2023 being reintroduced as another actress 40 years prior.
Or wouldn't get why that is wrong.

They have their core actors in their prime, its Xavier and Magneto who are elderly in real life, which makes sense to have young versions of their characters. X-Men as a whole has been more about time travel than Star Trek. It makes sense to keep these certain actors in their roles . This movie is reintroducing them to the audience. There was no immediate need to unless they actually care about continuity.

Doing more FC with Jean and Scott also rings true to that. Because they would be teens in the 80s and it would work. Then in another year or so have another time travel story. Which most likely WILL happen sometime because we know Cable is coming and they want to build a universe like the MCU.

Last edited by Great Mind(s); 02-03-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Great Mind(s) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #352
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Youre assuming audiences are too stupid to notice Ellen Pages character in 2023 being reintroduced as another actress 40 years prior.
Or wouldn't get why that is wrong.
Where did you get that from in any of my previous comments? In fact, I'm almost sure that the audience is smart enough to understand that very idea within the context of time travel and alternate timelines.

As someone pointed out on the previous page - Singer said himself he's a fan of having multiverses, that pretty much says it all there. He wants to be able to do what he wants and introduce whatever character he wants - whether they've already been in movies or not - and still keep a coherent continuity and universe.

The fact of the matter is that it's going to happen and right now it's just answering the question of "When?" With Singers comments in this past issue of Empire I'd say sooner rather than later.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #353
Great Mind(s)
Broken

He likes multiverses, not two completely different continuities that have no relation to each other. It will not make sense to reboot characters like Kitty at the time where she would technically be a sperm. They admitted they couldn't send her back in time in Dofp because she wouldn't be alive yet. Stopping Sentinels does not equal Kitty magically being born years prior.

It does mean they can introduce young Jean and make her firey Phoenix before X2. Things like that... A universe where X1-3 doesnt happen and they create Cable in the future. Not a universe where Iceman joins the team in the 80s.

The only thing that would work is Wanda creating a whole new universe where characters are different ages and look different.

Last edited by Great Mind(s); 02-03-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #354
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Bryan singer makes some weird decisions when it comes to film making and you just have to listen to the stuff he says about superman returns to know that.

So we will just have to wait and see what he has done to the timeline by the end of DOFP, whether its split timeline, alternative ect ect.

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 02-03-2014 at 04:08 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #355
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

People have been complaning for years cyclops,jean,and Storm don't get enough to do.Sp instead of simply going to late 1980's so teenage versions of all 3 can work some want them to flood screen with versions of characters that totaly conflicts with ages In other films.You also have Gambit you could work with.You can have a 20ish nightcrawler.
If Hugh Jackman bails with DOFP as final film as wolverine then you could have a Wolverine free film with Apocalypse.It would likely be seen as too soon to recast Wolverine.Cable could also be in film to setup X-Force.Apocalypse himself will get some focus.and your likely to get some other never used in film charatcers.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #356
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
as far as bringing back both casts again - why? It's only going to do a disservice to both casts in general. You already have people b****ing that the future portions aren't getting as much attention as the past (even though that's exactly how it plays in the comics). What do you think will happen when they do it again?! One cast or the other, as well as certain characters, are going to have to get the shaft otherwise no character is going to get any significant growth with a cast of 25 plus.

If we want them to really start delving into the these characters they're going to have to focus on one cast and commit to it. That's the only way we're going to continue to get some meaty roles like beast, prof x, magneto and mystique in first class. They picked a set of characters and committed to them full force.

Once again, they can't have their cake and eat it too. The writing is pretty much on the wall here - the longevity for the franchise is in going with characters that are going to be able to run these movies for as long as possible currently. Especially if they want to create a universe that is in line with everything and makes sense.

Once they start doing that, they can really begin to hone in on sequels and spin-offs of other teams and characters such as x-force, gambit, deadpool etc.
qft.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #357
Great Mind(s)
Broken

By sticking to one cast, how is that competing with the Marvel film series? And the soon to be Spider Man universe? The MCU has multiple series of films , a TV series with more on the way... What is the point of doing the rest of the X-Men in the past from now on, with just linear story progression?

I think it was Donner who said she would want to continue with both casts are we forgetting? And they're up for it at least some like Anna Paquin. It would be just plain silly to replace a name like Paquin or Page with some unknown which would also make no sense.

He has the freedom to do what he wants but Singer isn't playing the role of some madman rebooting characters hes already directing in DOFP.

He's made it clear that he likes continuity. I think he has more respect for this franchise than to completely reboot characters in a nonsensical way after bringing them back in this second biggest FOX film to date...

Last edited by Great Mind(s); 02-04-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #358
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Some people are just over with the OT cast.

But in my opinion, whether they are old or if they don't have the same star power as the FC cast, people will watch them because the general viewers are already familiar with them. I also think the franchise is a lot stronger with the people who started this series and there's a lot of franchises out there that can go on for years and keep the original cast, remember Fast/Furious? And at the same time, they could always introduce and hire new actors to work with the OT cast in the film. That always happen.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #359
Rike
Dadless.

No one can guarantee that the FC cast is going to renew their contracts after XMA and spawn a new series.
I prefer them to release one more film with each cast and then do a full reboot after leaving the franchise rest for some time.

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 AM   #360
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikePirado View Post
No one can guarantee that the FC cast is going to renew their contracts after XMA and spawn a new series.
I prefer them to release one more film with each cast and then do a full reboot after leaving the franchise rest for some time.
The franchise will never rest as that will mean Fox losing the rights. Absolutely can't happen unless Marvel aggressively buy the rights from Fox and then decide to do nothing with the property which is just as unlikely.

But a reboot one day in the future could be great. We'd be leaving a lot of history and top actors behind but it will have to happen at some point and when it does it will be unrestricted by a horrifically complicated and error strewn continuity, and will be able to launch at a modern blockbuster level with production standards in line with the likes of Avengers. That could mean a fully powered Rogue & Iceman for starters.

Edit: & welcome to the Hype!

Last edited by Iceman; 02-04-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #361
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
But a reboot one day in the future could be great. We'd be leaving a lot of history and top actors behind but it will have to happen at some point and when it does it will be unrestricted by a horrifically complicated and error strewn continuity, and will be able to launch at a modern blockbuster level with production standards in line with the likes of Avengers. That could mean a fully powered Rogue & Iceman for starters.

Actually they could that in a future OT cast film, the writers just need to make them stronger and the director or FOX should just let them do crazy power displays. With all the things that they encountered in the previous movies and DOFP, Rogue and Iceman should be a lot stronger now.

As for the reboot, I could see it happening in the next decade. But as of right now, I see Fox releasing at least 3 more films after DOFP.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #362
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Actually they could that in a future OT cast film, the writers just need to make them stronger and the director or FOX should just let them do crazy power displays. With all the things that they encountered in the previous movies and DOFP, Rogue and Iceman should be a lot stronger now.

As for the reboot, I could see it happening in the next decade. But as of right now, I see Fox releasing at least 3 more films after DOFP.
You would think so but this version of Rogue was introduced in 2000 and 14 years later she is struggling even to appear at all. I don't think they would get skimped on if they were Avengers characters or if they were reintroduced in a rebooted X-Men where everything starts from scratch.

Anyway I'm quite happy for more films from either/both casts as I love the actors we have.

Last edited by Iceman; 02-04-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #363
Rike
Dadless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The franchise will never rest as that will mean Fox losing the rights. Absolutely can't happen unless Marvel aggressively buy the rights from Fox and then decide to do nothing with the property which is just as unlikely.

They lose the rights only if they don't release a new movie in a specific amount of time. For the FF, the time seems to be 5 years+, so X-Men should be much longer considering that Marvel sold them when they were about to fail. But whatever, i can't imagine Fox wanting to reboot too.

And thank you! I've been here as a guest since the beginning of last year.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #364
Angamb
Banned User

I think after DOFP huge success, Fox will greenlight at least three more movies.

After Apocalypse, Im sure there will be another team movie, either a FC fourth movie, or another with original cast.

In between, Wolverine 3, if Hugh signs. And also a new spin-off, either XForce or something else.

So... whatever they choose, Im sure we'll get at least three more movies on this current series.

they want to expand the universe, right? so that's what they are gonna do.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #365
Rike
Dadless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I think after DOFP huge success, Fox will greenlight at least three more movies.

After Apocalypse, Im sure there will be another team movie, either a FC fourth movie, or another with original cast.

In between, Wolverine 3, if Hugh signs. And also a new spin-off, either XForce or something else.

So... whatever they choose, Im sure we'll get at least three more movies on this current series.

they want to expand the universe, right? so that's what they are gonna do.
Yeah, I think that's what's gonna happen too. Maybe they even greenlight a Deadpool or Gambit movie if DOFP do more money than expected.

Last edited by Rike; 02-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #366
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, I expect at least 4 more years with X-Men universe movies, so Id say they wont close this series until at least 2020.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #367
Rike
Dadless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
yeah, I expect at least 4 more years with X-Men universe movies, so Id say they wont close this series until at least 2020.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #368
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Well one thing is for certain, Fox will milk this franchise. They have done it before and they will do it again especially if DOFP goes big this summer!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #369
Great Mind(s)
Broken

What if they released Age of Apocalypse part 1 followed by a series of spin-offs like X-Force, Gambit, an old man Logan type sequel by Mangold and end with Age of Apocalypse part 2 to close it off, crazy crossover extravaganza.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #370
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Hmm in my opinion, a series of spin-offs is the last thing that this franchise needs. It would just lead to another box-office decline.

They could just do a X-men team movie and a spin-off or a prequel back and forth.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #371
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

^ Pretty much. The main team needs to be a mainstay of the franchise. We should be as far away from that awful "Origins" franchise as possible from now on.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #372
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
What if they released Age of Apocalypse part 1 followed by a series of spin-offs like X-Force, Gambit, an old man Logan type sequel by Mangold and end with Age of Apocalypse part 2 to close it off, crazy crossover extravaganza.
If they want a expanded universe, that would be like a logical plan.

I would close this series with Age of Apocalypse in two parts, or one, so in the middle they would have to release a few movies, so Im pretty fine with X-Force, Wolverine 3 and another one, whatever it is.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #373
Great Mind(s)
Broken

If they do it Origins style yeah that would be bad. It was a stupid mess, giving us a bunch of pointless cameos in an origin we didn't need to see.

If they do it MCU style it might be good. A big event like DOFP or Apocalypse could spawn an interesting scenario for solo films.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #374
Angamb
Banned User

definetly.

Just because Origins worked bad 5 years ago, it doesnt mean the next movies after DOFP huge success will have a similar reaction.

In fact, if DOFP brings a bigger audience than ever, the X-Men movie franchise will get a bigger audience for the future too, so, the spin-offs would get a better support this time around.

Just like Cap and Thor movies are doing/will do better each time.

The more movies a studio does, the more popular the characters and franchise get. Its called strategy and having a long and big plan.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #375
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

They could just save this "origin" stories in the X-Men team movies. Its not like they can't show flashback scenes back and forth in a movie. They could do it like Lost and tie the flashback scenes to the present-day events of the movie.

The sequel for The Wolverine could just showcase Wolverine with some of the X-Men like Rogue, Colossus, Iceman going to Russia facing Omega Red.

Then for Storm, Shadowcat, Bishop, Professor X, they could team up with X-Force or another mutant team.

It doesn't have to be a stand-alone Wolverine movie again, it doesn't have to be completely different and new like a stand-alone X-Force movie. Because for sure those movie will not sell as much tickets as DOFP or at least X-Men 2. They would gross under $200 million dollars in the U.S.