The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 03-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #501
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men: Apocalypse coming in 2016!

He's neither, or both (depending on your POV). It's that way in the comics and it's that way in in the films.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #502
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I don't count the Wolverine films. Why would Magneto be the main villain in a Wolverine film?

Is it really that ridiculous? When he's not the major villain he's still one of the main characters in every X-team film. Doesn't happen in the comics and the result is that it's a huge and anticipated event every time he returns.

And in an aside, in X2 he tried to kill the whole human race! Given the numbers involved that makes him a pretty huge villain not just an anti hero, and at least as much of a villain as Stryker, even if there is no clue that he will do this earlier on. Even in X1 as primary villain what he was doing was nowhere near as villainous ..trying to change world leaders into mutants not knowing that his machine harmed humans.

So a major villain in all 3 of the films in the original trilogy. FC is more a Magneto (& Xavier) story - the sympathetic origin story of a great villain - than a Shaw story. He finishes as the lead villain recruiting everyone else and tried to nuke all those humans. DOFP hasn't happened yet but we'll of course have 2 Magnetos starring in that as well. So 2/7 main villain shows to you...6/5 major appearances to me. Magneto is by far my favourite X-villain and I love both film versions of him. But X-Men has much more to offer. It's like The Joker in Arkham games or Wolverine in X-films (but at least he's an X-Man rather than villain). They're everyone's favourites but as a result featured even more than they should. I also love film Loki but if he turned up in Avengers 2, even as a goodie, I'd be like 'Enough!'.
Yes, it does happen in the comics. He's constantly been a presence in the X-books over the last five to six years. Hell, he's got his own damn comic right now (the first issue was quite good btw). And no, he's NOT as big a villain in X2 as Stryker. For most of the movie, he's not really a villain at all. And it was STRYKER'S actions/beliefs that drove Magneto to try and kill all the humans (Stryker tortured him and tried to exterminate all Mutants first) which also makes Stryker a bigger villain than Magneto in that movie. And he turns against the X-Men in like the last ten minutes of FC, so he's NOT the main villain in that either. Also, his attitude is shaped by what SHAW did to him, which still makes Shaw the main villain of that movie as well.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #503
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Magneto is a character who often filp flops between being an enemy and ally of the X-Men.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #504
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
The thing with Magneto is that in all the films he has appeared, outside of the Wolverine cameo, is he takes a major role. One where a major part of the plot revolves around him. Where Wolverine almost always has a say in the protagonist story of the film, Magneto does for the antagonist. Even at the end of X2 and First Class, he is the real threat.
For that, I don't think a villain would really shine that much when you have Magneto also in the spotlight and the writers simply cannot make him a supporting character because that wouldn't be good.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #505
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yes, it does happen in the comics. He's constantly been a presence in the X-books over the last five to six years. Hell, he's got his own damn comic right now (the first issue was quite good btw). And no, he's NOT as big a villain in X2 as Stryker. For most of the movie, he's not really a villain at all. And it was STRYKER'S actions/beliefs that drove Magneto to try and kill all the humans (Stryker tortured him and tried to exterminate all Mutants first) which also makes Stryker a bigger villain than Magneto in that movie. And he turns against the X-Men in like the last ten minutes of FC, so he's NOT the main villain in that either. Also, his attitude is shaped by what SHAW did to him, which still makes Shaw the main villain of that movie as well.
Oh I thought I already replied to this a few days ago. Oh well, will try again.

Guess we’ll have to disagree on the last few points, no prob.

As for the underlying overexposure discussion, recent comics have had Spider-man & Wolverine as mainstream Avengers all while Wolverine still stars in multiple X-books & Spidey has all his own solo books lol. Any character that gets very popular in films becomes everpresent in comics from then on. Don’t know how much you’ve read of Uncanny X-Men from inception to before 6 years ago but that’s what I was referring to and there have been tonnes of great stories that didn’t involve Mags. There are many, many more stories without him than with him. He’s the biggest and best recurring villain and most people’s favourite but apart from his extended stints as Joseph and as a good guy, he’s still not what I’d call overexposed and every time he returns is a massive anticipated event as a result.

Remember how Wolverine used to be a universally loved character in comics? That only changed when he became overexposed in EVERY comic out there and on multiple X-teams at the same time. And it’s starting to happen in the films. I mean I don’t mind him starring in all the films, he is one of the very best X-Men after all, but as long as the other biggest X-Men also get their due..Cyclops, Storm (at least she’s featured a lot too) & Beast.

And like I said earlier, I don’t mind Magneto being in 100% of the time where he is part X-Man like Fassbender’s FC version. It’s a little different with these films set in the past before he became a full on villain as him and Xavier are the core story back then during the formative years. If we ever go back to the present day and Mckellen Magneto, I would prefer to see him only in every other film for eg rather than every film. I don’t know if you actually want him in every single film going forward or are just talking about the past.

He’s the biggest & best but I can’t think of any other villain in any other top entertainment series (that isn’t one self contained story) that features one villain heavily (even if only as secondary villain in some films), in every film without it depriving other top villains from the spotlight a bit. And I’ll restate that he’s my favourite X-villain in case that’s been forgotten along the way and it's great to see Apocalypse making an appearance now. Can't wait for Sinister.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #506
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

Translated from Spanish to English: http://www.cinepremiere.com.mx/36034...pocalypse.html
Quote:
Cine PREMIERE had the chance to speak exclusively with director Bryan Singer, who seriously think about Gambit and Nightcrawler returns to X -Men : Apocalypse :

"I'm considering a potentially Gambit and Nightcrawler to a young Apocalypse . Going to have to Nightcrawler [ Days of the future past ] and even wrote a scene , but I felt that we were forcing too mutants known history." For the rest of the team , the director was very clear to ensure that the film will only show the last mutants .

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Dragon_316ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #507
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

"el filme sólo mostrará a los mutantes del pasado" means "the film will only show mutants of the past."

I hope Singer does more than just consider a young Nightcralwer and brings him aboard!

A team featuring Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Gambit would be great

Last edited by Duran Man; 03-20-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Duran Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #508
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a young nightcrawler

Old 03-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #509
kasjan
Side-Kick

20-25yo Gambit was in 1987 in Origins.
Nightcrawler was born around 1964.
Both are at nearly the same age.
Would be awesome to see them.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #510
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
"el filme sólo mostrará a los mutantes del pasado" means "the film will only show mutants of the past."

I hope Singer does more than just consider a young Nightcralwer and brings him aboard!

A team featuring Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Gambit would be great
Yeah, would be a good team. Would love to see Nightcrawler back and would be good to see more of Gambit.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #511
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

My concerns about this:

With Gambit = major retcon, it could be seen as a continuity error and I just don't like characters reappearing without a connection to their 1st appearance.
Nightcrawler = alternate version? new version? probably isn't connected to X2's Nightcrawler?

In my opinion, just introduce the younger version of Storm/Jean/Cyclops, bring back Beast, if they want more mutants, bring back Havok/Banshee, introduce Dazzler or Polaris.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 AM   #512
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

If Nightcrawler is reintroduced, he'd be a younger version of the character.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:55 AM   #513
xrs13
Cold as ice

+Yeah I guess the thing we just have to think now is if Mcavoy has seen into the future he can pretty much now pick any x-men that are age appropriate to join them.

Cometh the Apocalypse
and the merry Horsemen
War: Sinister, Death: Wolverine,
Pestilence: Mystique, Famine: Storm before Xavier

xrs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #514
kasjan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
My concerns about this:

With Gambit = major retcon, it could be seen as a continuity error and I just don't like characters reappearing without a connection to their 1st appearance.
Nightcrawler = alternate version? new version? probably isn't connected to X2's Nightcrawler?
What continuity errors? When Logan changes past, Apocalypse changes past, all characters won't do the same as in old timeline. Events are changed, and it won't lead to what we saw in X2, only few events will repeat. Nightrawler can meet X-Men earlier this time, and Gambit could join them too.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 AM   #515
Obsidian Idea
The light is blinding

Cool Re: X-Men: Apocalypse coming in 2016!

This movie is sounding like a standalone more than anything else...do you think there is room for the horsemen and proper character development...or should they have Apocalypse using the Alliance of Evil for his strike force?

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27 (New King James Version)
Obsidian Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #516
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Despite the obvious timeline changes DOFP will cause, I'd still prefer Singer plays things fairly close to the OT, so a new introduction for Nightcrawler feels a bit odd to me.

Gambit is fine though. No brainer.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #517
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I think it can work fine with Nightcrawler. Time travel yo. Just keep some things in tune with the OT. And bring them back too.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #518
kasjan
Side-Kick

Also Cable can come from future and make changes in events, all those changes could easily lead to meet X-Men and Nightcrawler in 80's.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #519
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The only way Cable will show up Is if mystery 2018 film Is X-force.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #520
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Cable is not only an option for X-Force, so no. There's other ways to introduce him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
What continuity errors? When Logan changes past, Apocalypse changes past, all characters won't do the same as in old timeline. Events are changed, and it won't lead to what we saw in X2, only few events will repeat. Nightrawler can meet X-Men earlier this time, and Gambit could join them too.
Some mainstream viewers won't get that. I know the 80s characters will probably exist in alternate world but still. Less confusion, less answer/question portion are better for the viewers.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 03-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #521
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Some tidbit on Apocalypse

Quote:
BRYAN: Well, here’s the thing: in [next year’s] sequel, Apocalypse, one thing I want to deal with is the notion of religion and the notion of what would happen if a mutant was born 2,000 years ago? In ancient times, what would a person think of a mutant, what would the mutant think of themselves? Would that mutant be called a god? Would it think it’s a god? And would it be right to think so, in the context of that culture and that world? Those are some of the aspects I’m playing with in the sequel. When we get to lunch, I’ll gladly pitch to you, we’ll talk through it. But in an alternate universe where you aren’t an actor, what do you think you would want to do for a living?
Sounds like a great premise. Apocalypse being thought of as a God. He could've become legend overtime like the Greek Gods

Perhaps the Greek Gods were Mutants

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 AM   #522
xrs13
Cold as ice

More like the Egyptian gods with who we are referring to :P but I love what this sounds like. For me it would also make perfect sense to go to Africa to recruit Storm as she would be being worshiped as a goddess. Which would play into it really well with Xavier telling her that she isn't and then obviously you have Apoc who pretty much believes he is a god himself. Let us not forget that he is as far beyond mutants as they are beyond us

Cometh the Apocalypse
and the merry Horsemen
War: Sinister, Death: Wolverine,
Pestilence: Mystique, Famine: Storm before Xavier

xrs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #523
kasjan
Side-Kick

When I watched X-Men TAS, and when I read this, it reminded me Stargate (1994).
There was a young Egyptian man possessed by alien (maybe this fake rumor about credit scene in DOFP came from this), here is a mutant, both called gods by humans. This young Ra reminded me Apocalypse so much in behaving and molecular manipulation of his own body.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #524
Octoberist
point blank

If Gambit's in, then for the love of God, that actor should replicate the accent from the 90's X-Men. Hands down, still the best voice actor for Remy.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #525
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Woah! Gambit from TAS was voiced by this guy?

Did not know that...

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote