The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #51
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 4

Wait... I am just coming in... Is there a rumor that Lex could be black now?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #52
shauner111
Side-Kick

Is Loki Lex Luthor? Not a chance. Zack himself said that he'll be a huge name.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #53
Tomar-Re
Side-Kick

Will Smith

Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #54
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Is Loki Lex Luthor? Not a chance. Zack himself said that he'll be a huge name.
With his track record for huge names in MOS it wouldn't surprise me.

I can't really think of any big name actors I'd like to see as Lex though. Aside from maybe Daniel Craig.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #55
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec
I don't think skin colour should be seen as a "direction" per se. I would hope it could be merely incidental.
The look of a character is absolutely part of the direction. Visually, a pale White man is very different than a dark Black man. Yes, race isn't important... except that when we're talking about LOOKS ONLY, race can be important. They wouldn't cast an Asian man to play George Washington. Because he doesn't look the part. And he doesn't look the part because of his race.

Luthor being fictional means that his race can be redefined relatively easily. But to change it would be a different direction. Even if all other things were the same, changing the race of the actor changes the look and that's a different direction.

Personally, I would really rather a White man. Culturally, there's something about a White man being bald that doesn't translate to a Black man being bald. It's because of the connection to skinheads and white supremacists. This wasn't built into the character, but it's a very happy coincidence. Subconsciously associating Luthor with White supremacists is ABSOLUTELY a good idea for the character when you paint him as fearful and jealous of the alien Superman's power.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #56
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Hopefully Snyder, just gets the best actor, and there is not filling out the justice league based on race and not talent. Wally West looks a certain way you can not change that.

On Lex, Denzel is too old. Still think should go McConaughey, or shoot higher if possible with somebody like Leonardo.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #57
Kevin Smith
Papa Spank!

God...I really hope this current batch of rumors is nothing but a big load of crap.

PART 3
PART 4
PART 5
Old 12-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #58
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Not liking these new rumors but im guessin they are just a bunch of BS.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #59
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

What's the speculation for Callan Mulvey?

Dr. Walter Bishop: Oh - That's too bad. You'll have to shock her heart then.

-FRINGE
Old 12-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #60
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

Questions for people who are always suggesting McConaghey:

When have you ever seen him play a role where he wasn't essentially a good ol' southern boy?

What has led you to believe he could pull off Lex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
To me, Man of Steel just felt to me like Snyder and Goyer tried to make Superman look less, and simple next to Batman, like yeah Superman is good, he's cool, but not as interesting as Batman.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #61
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Questions for people who are always suggesting McConaghey:

When have you ever seen him play a role where he wasn't essentially a good ol' southern boy?

What has led you to believe he could pull off Lex?
Lincoln Lawyer, Frailty and Mud convinced me he has the acting chops to play Luthor.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #62
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

He does have chops. Don't forget "Killer Joe".

But has he ever played a Northerner...ever? Can he pull it off without sounding goofy and forced? That's really my main concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
To me, Man of Steel just felt to me like Snyder and Goyer tried to make Superman look less, and simple next to Batman, like yeah Superman is good, he's cool, but not as interesting as Batman.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #63
Rorschach2012
$

I think his voice would be fine. It'd be different though for sure

Old 12-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #64
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

McConaghey is not on my list... But I get what he could bring to the table, not least of which is a polished intensity and commitment he has brought to almost all his onscreen roles these last 5 years or so.

If you want a "celebrated" Luthor that is/was the golden boy of Metropolis, you could do worse than McConaghey.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #65
lujho
Side-Kick

Clancy Brown.

I realize how unimaginative to suggest him seeing as how he already voiced the character, but I'd think he was a great live action choice even if he's never voiced a cartoon in his life.

I honestly think his Luthor voice is as definitive a portrayal of the character as Hamill's Joker or Conroy's Batman, but I think he'd be just as great in live action. I'd say he's a bit old but this is taking place in a well established DCU with a 40 year old Batman and a probably mid-30s Superman, so he's not THAT old.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #66
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujho View Post
Clancy Brown.

I realize how unimaginative to suggest him seeing as how he already voiced the character, but I'd think he was a great live action choice even if he's never voiced a cartoon in his life.

I honestly think his Luthor voice is as definitive a portrayal of the character as Hamill's Joker or Conroy's Batman, but I think he'd be just as great in live action. I'd say he's a bit old but this is taking place in a well established DCU with a 40 year old Batman and a probably mid-30s Superman, so he's not THAT old.
The only people from the DCAU who should reprise their roles should be Corey Burton/Brainiac or Michael Ironside/Darkseid IMHO.

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #67
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
The only people from the DCAU who should reprise their roles should be Corey Burton/Brainiac or Michael Ironside/Darkseid IMHO.
And even then... Yeah, let's keep these world's distinct. If someone is a turn it up to !! DCAU fan... Hey, more power to you, but what we have now, for sure, is the birth of a DC-CINEMATIC UNIVERSE. Different animal. It's time to let the past go. I doubt we'll get another Peter Cullen situation in adapting genre stuff anytime again soon, if ever.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #68
regwec
Shakespearo

It seems mistaken, in my opinion, to talk about "them going for a black Lex" etc. If WB were interested in Denzel, then that's presumeably because he is fine actor who fits the part well. It seems unlikely to me that they have decided they'd like a black actor (for whatever reason) and that Denzel, Idris and even Will ****ing Smith are the options.

I think we get too hung up on race. My top two "big name" choices for the role, at the moment, are Daniel Craig and Denzel. Why shouldn't they both be in the frame, and chosen on their merits, rather than the ethnicity of the actor being decided at random prior to qualifying candidates being shortlisted? That seems insane.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 12-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #69
Krumm
Beer Snob

I should really get into the casting rumors game because there's no way you can really be wrong.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #70
Unbreakable Lex
Side-Kick

I spoke to our trusted source close to Warner Bros. recently where the name Tom Hanks came up for Lex Luthor. If you recall, almost a month ago Tom Hanks publically let it be known he wanted to play the villain to Batman. I'm told Warner Bros. is considering Tom Hanks for Lex Luthor. I was told Hanks is a huge fan, and the role of Lex Luthor would go against his typecasting which Hanks is excited about and could come off really well. Whether Hanks has read for the role and auditioned, I'm not sure.
Read more at http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...lZe1XZGiZXb.99

Old 12-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #71
ЯɘvlveR
Morocco Bob-omb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable Lex View Post
I spoke to our trusted source close to Warner Bros. recently where the name Tom Hanks came up for Lex Luthor. If you recall, almost a month ago Tom Hanks publically let it be known he wanted to play the villain to Batman. I'm told Warner Bros. is considering Tom Hanks for Lex Luthor. I was told Hanks is a huge fan, and the role of Lex Luthor would go against his typecasting which Hanks is excited about and could come off really well. Whether Hanks has read for the role and auditioned, I'm not sure.
Read more at http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...lZe1XZGiZXb.99

Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #72
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

LMAO

Yeah, I spoke to a trusted source too at Warner Brothers (because WB has an infinite number of employees who sit in on all the executive meetings and are all totally willing to divulge confidential information to random people on the internet) and he gave me some details:

- Current frontrunners for the role of Lex include Charlie Hunnam, Jason Isaacs, Ed Helms and Ewan MacGregor. All have worked on films for WB in recent years and they like to keep things in house. Expect an announcement any day now.

- WB is also testing actors for Dick Grayson. But contradictory to prior reports, WB is targeting a young actor who will eventually become Robin either in this movie or in a sequel. Chandler Riggs (The Walking Dead) is the current frontrunner, though WB is also looking at Jackie Gleason (Game of Thrones, Batman Begins).

- WB does intend to tie the Man of Steel sequel to the TV series Arrow after all. In addition to Stephen Amell appearing in the film, Henry Cavill has also agreed to appear on the season finale of the TV show as Superman.

- Amy Adams is reportedly upset with the influx of new characters in the sequel, as she feels Lois Lane will get slighted. WB has already begun testing new actresses for the role in case she walks. They've already had meetings with Jennifer Lawrence, Megan Fox, Selina Gomez and Ashley Tisdale.

Learn more at http://www.cosmicbull****news.com/

Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #73
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

Quote:
Bryan Cranston has been cast as Lex Luthor in what is said to be at least a six "appearance" deal (think of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury popping up in every Marvel movie in the run-up to Avengers) and may be as high as ten.

Look for the official announcement to follow the conclusion to the final season of Breaking Bad as WB wants to dovetail off the end of that.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #74
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post

Still waiting on that announcement.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #75
STARMAN
Side-Kick

They then followed that "Exclusive" with another "Exclusive" that eliminated their own Bryan Cranston scoop.

Closed Thread