The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

So the Visual Effects Oscar is a 3 step race. First the Branch members visit a bake-off where they narrow down hundreds of film to 10.

Then there is another vote to determine the 5 nominees.

And then the entire Academy membership votes to determine the winner. We already know the winner - Gravity, but the bake off list of 10 was just released and Man Of Steel was discarded by the Academy.

"Elysium"
"Gravity"
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"
"Iron Man 3"
"The Lone Ranger"
"Oblivion"
"Pacific Rim"
"Star Trek Into Darkness"
"Thor: The Dark World"
"World War Z"

Both the MCU movies made it perhaps underlining that Man Of Steel was really hurt by its bad reviews and "Rotten" status on RT.

Do you think Man Of Steel will continue TDKR's tradition of ZERO Oscar nominations?

Because this was the one nomination it could have gotten.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

Shocking indeed. There is NOTHING in the entire runtimes' of either IM3 or TDW that in it's visual effects comes close to what Snyder and Co. did in MOS to my eyes.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Default Re: Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

To be honest not surprising.

They already know Gravity will win.

They probably just made the list for the other contenders in five minutes without even watching them.

Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

If a film is not considered for that list because of mixed RT reviews, then "The Lone Ranger" has no place in being there.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

rt reviews mean nothing. it's a visual fx award. supes first flight was better then anything in most of those movies nomimated. but what are we to do.

ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
If a film is not considered for that list because of mixed RT reviews, then "The Lone Ranger" has no place in being there.
But they are snobby about awarding badly reviewed films. They gave the Oscar to The Golden Compass over Transformers!

They did not even nominate Tron Legacy.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Shocking indeed. There is NOTHING in the entire runtimes' of either IM3 or TDW that in it's visual effects comes close to what Snyder and Co. did in MOS to my eyes.
Much of MOS looked pretty bad and blurry.

What's the point of visual FX if everything looks blurry the entire time? The entire final fight was one big CGI blur.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Its rejection is unfortunate; but, objectively speaking, it, IM3, and TDW did not offer anything remarkable, in terms of the effects. I am really surprised that WWZ made it to the list, as it did not offer anything special. The MCU films recycled sequences from preceding films: IM3 the alien invasion from TA, IM3 the house battle from IM2 and the Stark Expo battle from the same film. MOS threw the invasion from TA and the last Transformers flick into a blender.

Gosh, writing this post has made me realize how much is recycled in superhero blockbuster films (this is a criticism of both sides of the fence.)

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
Kevin Smith
Banned User

There wasn't one special effect that really "WOW'd" me anymore than anything in those other movies. I thought it looked very video game-ish at some times, unfortunately.

Going to have to side with the Academy on this one.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post

What's the point of visual FX if everything looks blurry the entire time? The entire final fight was one big CGI blur.
like your avy

Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post

I saw it six times in theatres and the only time it looked blurry was in a standard theatre. I saw most of my showings in a digital theatre and it was crystal clear, as it is now on Blu Ray.

The effects in the film were phenomenal to my eyes, from the first reel to the last.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I saw it six times in theatres and the only time it looked blurry was in a standard theatre. I saw most of my showings in a digital theatre and it was crystal clear, as it is now on Blu Ray.

The effects in the film were phenomenal to my eyes, from the first reel to the last.
Well this was voted on by Visual FX professionals who have worked in the field for decades. They might have seen some flaws which escape casual watchers.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
Marvin
Side-Kick

Snyder never gets vfx nods and he always uses tons.
I hope he switches to ILM some day. MCP just ain't doing it I guess.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
Boom
I got nothin'

Gravity wins.

They shouldn't even bother nominating anything else in that category.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #15
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Gravity is the most dazzling and bracing use of Visual FX in forever. It really is path breaking and something we have never seen. The FX in Gravity are truly a monumental achievement.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I loved Man of Steel, but the CG was even.

At times it was perfect (Krypton), and at other times it was embarrassingly bad (Smallville fight).

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Gravity is the top dog here, I am not arguing that. But MOS' use of CG was leagues ahead of TDW or IM, or Lone Ranger.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Like I said there was lots and lots of blurring in MOS. That probably killed its chances.

I think clean compositions are better to showcase FX than a camera that is shaking every second.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

The fx that were supposed to be so good in MOs did come off as blurry. I do admit there were some good scenes with it, Supes flying out the building that Zod destroyed with his best vision. But there was nothing in the movie that gave me a Matrix "WTF was that" feeling. I haven't seen Gravity so I can't judge, I saw the previews for it watching MOS and I am still surprised almost all critics loved it.

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Why even have that many on the shortlist? Just give it to Gravity already.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #21
Masone
Side-Kick

The fact that none of the Transformers movies won for VFX means they lost their credibility a long time ago. Unless the Hobbit does some amazing ****, Man of Steel was clearly the best this year. Oh well.

Masone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #22
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

I have no idea what movie some of you watched. Blurry? Really? It was crystal clear in the theater and on my TV.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #23
Marvin
Side-Kick

gravity is overrated.
It should win this year but seriously.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #24
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
The fact that none of the Transformers movies won for VFX means they lost their credibility a long time ago. Unless the Hobbit does some amazing ****, Man of Steel was clearly the best this year. Oh well.
Haven't you seen Gravity?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #25
Thoix
Side-Kick

Gravity will win obviously, as it should. But Man of Steel looked better than anyone of the other movies on the list (well, maybe other than Elysium and Desolation of Smaug, which isn't out yet). Then again, these people nominated Les Miserabes for choreography, when it had some of the worst choreography I have seen in a movie this last decade. Bleh.

I really don't pay much attention to the Academy Awards/Oscars that much anyway, which is something most of my guiding reviewers do too.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote