The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #51
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Default Re: Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Since when did we think MOS was acclaimed?
if we see the "imparial" critics of course. This list only confirms that something wasn't right when critics reviewed MOS.
Cause MOS was the 2nd best VFX of the year. That list contradicts itself but anyways

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #52
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

Oblivion had great visuals, but my fave out of those was PACIFIC RIM in a big way.

Anyone who saw that film and didn't remember being a little kid watching giant robot
or giant monster movies/cartoons whatever, I feel sorry for.

It was such a fun film, and the visuals, for both the monsters and the robots were
sublime. The Lone Ranger and World War Z.....please .

To be honest I think MOS should win just for having the fantastic elements blend so well with the real ones. Particularly in the battle of Smallville and the Terraforming metropolis sequence. When those buildings collapse, it looks genuinely real.
Whereas into darkness, the Hobbit and TDW all take place in fantastic places, so the fantastic doesn't seem out of place.

Thor TDW has some great visuals, but I prefer Krypton to Asgard.
Just IMO.
Peace out superfans !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #53
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I just think MOS isn't really that well received as we thought. Reason for bringing the bat n the rest...
David Goyer: "It is our intention that, in success, this would be the zero issue and from this point onward, possible films could expand into a shared universe. In our world, the Man of Steel world, Zack has gone on record saying that we’re implying there are other superheroes in this world. But I don’t know that they’ve come forward yet. The idea is that Superman is the first one. There might be people helping people, but not in costumes, and that Superman comes forward and announces himself to the world. In him announcing himself, he’s the one that changes things."

Yup, definitely means that MOS wasn't received so filmmakers squeezed in Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
if we see the "imparial" critics of course. This list only confirms that something wasn't right when critics reviewed MOS.
Cause MOS was the 2nd best VFX of the year. That list contradicts itself but anyways

Last edited by InJustice; 12-06-2013 at 11:37 PM.
InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #54
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just think MOS isn't really that well received as we thought. Reason for bringing the bat n the rest...
Would a big studio risk their first shot at Wonder Woman(a property they have been consistently double taking on) with her own feature or jumping off from a sure fire hit Superman crossover? In this day and age I would assume the latter.

Same with their Batman reboot.

That's why they are doing what they're doing. Cause unlike GL, they have a hit with momentum on their hands.

Last edited by Marvin; 12-06-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #55
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

[/QUOTE]

didn't get the gif
IMO there are some movies that didn't deserve the nomination and MOS is superior in terms of original, more difficult to plasm VFX. that's why I called "contradictory" the list. some clearly deserved the nomination but others well

Last edited by John-An; 12-06-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #56
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Would a big studio risk their first shot at Wonder Woman(a property they have been consistently double taking on) with her own feature or jumping off from a sure fire hit Superman crossover? In this day and age I would assume the latter.

Same with their Batman reboot.

That's why they are doing what they're doing. Cause unlike GL, they have a hit with momentum on their hands.
Adding WW as a minor character is kind of a win-win for WB. If audiences like her, they can greenlight a solo film. If not, they'll have an excuse to bury the character and jump straight to the flash.

I hope the former happens. We all know how much Faora stole her scenes.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #57
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Adding WW as a minor character is kind of a win-win for WB. If audiences like her, they can greenlight a solo film. If not, they'll have an excuse to bury the character and jump straight to the flash.

I hope the former happens. We all know how much Faora stole her scenes.
Agreed

Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #58
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

*Flash as a next solo character. I have a feeling that JL will be the next feature, if not the Batman reboot.

I am ironically less nervous about WW as I am the whole film itself. I feel like her moments would probably be satisfying, if the writing is up to scratch. Come on Affleck, do some revisions!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #59
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
didn't get the gif
IMO there are some movies that didn't deserve the nomination and MOS is superior in terms of original, more difficult to plasm VFX. that's why I called "contradictory" the list. some clearly deserved the nomination but others well
Bolded: "This list only confirms that something wasn't right when critics reviewed MOS."

Do we really need to care about what the critics say? Also, what you just said is completely subjective, others here can point out where the special effects failed.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #60
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I think the shot of Zod kicking Superman in the Final Battle looked fake, but the destruction of Metropolis looked all too real, and I really dug the shockwaves as the impacts collided. I really love the use of physically panning around a real location, then adding the blurs of superfast characters in post as they crash in the Sears in Smallville. That is probably my favorite "supercool" moment in the film. It looks like if it was actually happening for real.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #61
roach
I am the night

It doesn't matter if it was nominated or not…Gravity is gonna win…when an astronaut says it made him feel like he was back in space…you're doing something right.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #62
fake
Side-Kick

MoS had a visual effects artists boycott to contend with before release. This may have had an impact on it not making the bake-off list: http://visualaffects.wordpress.com/2...s-wait-a-week/

fake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #63
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
I think you might be on to something. I think the critical reception of MOS is the Watergate of our times. There are only two possible scenarios

1. The critics did not like MOS
2. There is a monstrous mammoth media conspiracy involving hundreds of publications and critics and media outlets and journalists to stage a sting campaign against MOS and defame it and slander it out of all proportion.

Since the first one is an absolutely absurd scenario, the more realistic and sensible second scenario is what must have really happened.

Do you have any more theories?

Old 12-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #64
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Not a big deal really.
MOS could still be nominated in other categories

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #65
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Not a big deal really.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #66
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Since when did we think MOS was acclaimed?
It isn't? ??

Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #67
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
It isn't? ??
it never was but the frikin Lone Ranger in this list. Give me a break.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #68
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
It doesn't matter if it was nominated or not…Gravity is gonna win…when an astronaut says it made him feel like he was back in space…you're doing something right.
An oscar nomination is not as good as an oscar win but it is still something.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #69
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Not a big deal really.
Like what, best screenplay?

Visual effects is what MoS did best, though some people think the score was amazing.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #70
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Like what, best screenplay?

Visual effects is what MoS did best, though some people think the score was amazing.
There are other categories like sound mixing / editing and musical score but don't expect any nomination for MOS, they will make sure that it is not included.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #71
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

But I don't know that it even deserves nominations for those. It did for VFX.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #72
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Huh?
Quote:
It isn't? ??
Where have you been? You actually thought it was an acclaimed movie? Nah, it's had a really mixed reaction.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #73
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

The conspiracy theories on here are amazing. There is no vendetta against MOS. Unfortunately the movie elite thought it was akin to Transformers and don't take it seriously, nothing more.

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #74
DCW
Chief's got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Another thread that tries to be one thing but is really just an MOS hate thread. This could easily be brought up in another thread.
QFT. Getting tiresome really.

Last edited by DCW; 12-07-2013 at 10:36 AM.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #75
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
The conspiracy theories on here are amazing. There is no vendetta against MOS. Unfortunately the movie elite thought it was akin to Transformers and don't take it seriously, nothing more.
Sam with his parents vs Clark with his (earth) parents and what was to be wrought from such interactions, puts your comparison in perspective.

As much as TF, with all it's intended success, is the go to for negative simile when anyone tries to prove a point around here, in this scenario it truly works against your point.
imo.