The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #76
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

I thought at least one of the TF films won an Oscar.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #77
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Default Re: Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Wouldn't shock me.

Say what you want about Bay, but he's arguably one of the best, or if not the best, when it comes to action and VFX today.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #78
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I don't like him but not only he is one of the best but he is dedicated to whatever POS is making. Kudos to him for that, he gives his 100% everytime.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #79
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Pretty sure they were all robbed.
Cause those films bring in their huge and growing audience due to something other than inferior vfx.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #80
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
I think you might be on to something. I think the critical reception of MOS is the Watergate of our times. There are only two possible scenarios

1. The critics did not like MOS
2. There is a monstrous mammoth media conspiracy involving hundreds of publications and critics and media outlets and journalists to stage a sting campaign against MOS and defame it and slander it out of all proportion.

Since the first one is an absolutely absurd scenario, the more realistic and sensible second scenario is what must have really happened.

Do you have any more theories?

I've never immplied conspiration, you're saying that. They can dislike but with "strong" arguments but with nosense and how they wanted the movie instead of a constructive critic of what the movie is?
Take it as you want pal.
The true is that we all know that the quality of this VFX deserved the nomination (Gravity won for me) but it's far superior to any other of the list in terms of plasm a difficult superhero with his superpowers that were plasmed in a realistic way and the invasion were great plasmed also..
Or do you think some of the movies in the list had greater effects? Well

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 01:44 PM.
John-An is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #81
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Bro, he was playing around. Making fun of the absurdness in your posts.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #82
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I think the shot of Zod kicking Superman in the Final Battle looked fake, but the destruction of Metropolis looked all too real, and I really dug the shockwaves as the impacts collided. I really love the use of physically panning around a real location, then adding the blurs of superfast characters in post as they crash in the Sears in Smallville. That is probably my favorite "supercool" moment in the film. It looks like if it was actually happening for real.
I don't think the moment Zod kicked Supes looked fake IMO. I never noticed nothing fake there cause they didn't used CGI, they used the real actors most of the time.

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #83
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Bro, he was playing around. Making fun of the absurdness in your posts.
More absurd than saying Bay is the best in VFX just because putting explotions everywhere with any sense?
plenty of people is better than Bay IMO so I don't think so my friend.

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #84
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Nah, I don't think what I said about Bay is absurd.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #85
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Nah, I don't think what I said about Bay is absurd.
If you say so...

Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #86
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

It makes a heck of a lot more sense than your 'Critics hating MOS' conspiracy.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #87
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
It makes a heck of a lot more sense than your 'Critics hating MOS' conspiracy.
some "critics" nosense say by themselves....
Take your conclusions

Old 12-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #88
the last son
Side-Kick

The part in flight where he brush past the herd of animals looked extremely cheesy. Looked like there was a green screen behind it.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #89
the last son
Side-Kick

Haven't seen gravity, but I thought oblivion was best of the year for me.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #90
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
some "critics" nosense say by themselves....
Take your conclusions
Alright, I'll conclude.

MOS got mixed reactions. Michael Bay is one of the best with Action and VFX. There ya go.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #91
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
The part in flight where he brush past the herd of animals looked extremely cheesy. Looked like there was a green screen behind it.
cheesy?? where? for me this is one of the best shots of the movie...
Not sure if you're serious.

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #92
the last son
Side-Kick

Look at him towards the end bottom right of the screen. Remember in the theaters thinking how fake it looked. I think it looks incredibly bad.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #93
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Sam with his parents vs Clark with his (earth) parents and what was to be wrought from such interactions, puts your comparison in perspective.

As much as TF, with all it's intended success, is the go to for negative simile when anyone tries to prove a point around here, in this scenario it truly works against your point.
imo.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Sams parents have nothing to do with what I said, critics didn't like MOS much and they don't respect it or its director. Too many of them viewed it as having too much destruction which probably made them incapable of viewing and enjoying the fx of said destruction.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #94
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
cheesy?? where? for me this is one of the best shots of the movie...
Not sure if you're serious.
I sont think cheesy is the right word but it did look fake and unimpressive. I really was not impressed with Superman's first flight.
Another part that was clearly a green screen is the shot of Superman from behind when he is in the air about to turn himself into the army. I was really surprised how fake that looked, I was also surprised in SR how fake one of the close ups of Brandon flying was.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #95
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Look at him towards the end bottom right of the screen. Remember in the theaters thinking how fake it looked. I think it looks incredibly bad.
I keep saying there's nothing wrong besides the far look of the shot... one thing is that he looks far away but another is saying it's fake which is false.. don't agree this time.
I don't know if you saw the movie with a correct quality?
Here's other shot in 1080p which supports my argument
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
I sont think cheesy is the right word but it did look fake and unimpressive. I really was not impressed with Superman's first flight.
Another part that was clearly a green screen is the shot of Superman from behind when he is in the air about to turn himself into the army. I was really surprised how fake that looked, I was also surprised in SR how fake one of the close ups of Brandon flying was.
SR VFX were clearly fake even more the last flying scene at the end of the movie.
But one of the great things of MOS was the flight scene. don't confuse that the image is not close to look and it looks far is not the same as it looks fake. it's due to speed or do you think a closer look to Superman flying to such speed will be completely clear.
The scene when he was floating at the army it wasn't CGI, it was with Cavill. So I don't know if you saw the movie with a correct quality?
Here's other shot in 1080p which supports my argument
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #96
Casval
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was also surprised in SR how fake one of the close ups of Brandon flying was.
Sony Imageworks wasn't indeed the best choice.

Casval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #97
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Sams parents have nothing to do with what I said, critics didn't like MOS much and they don't respect it or its director. Too many of them viewed it as having too much destruction which probably made them incapable of viewing and enjoying the fx of said destruction.
I pointed to what we could take way from Sam's interactions with his parents(masterbation scene/car buying scene) and contrasted that with the Jon Kent scenes(You are my son/death scene). In an effort to show just how much more substance and drama MoS has than the films it's often compared to.

I agree that critics didn't judge it fairly.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #98
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Haven't seen gravity, but I thought oblivion was best of the year for me.
Sounds like you've got some movie watching to do then.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #99
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about it from a visual viewpoint. Oblivion was really amazing visually.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #100
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
I think you might be on to something. I think the critical reception of MOS is the Watergate of our times. There are only two possible scenarios

1. The critics did not like MOS
2. There is a monstrous mammoth media conspiracy involving hundreds of publications and critics and media outlets and journalists to stage a sting campaign against MOS and defame it and slander it out of all proportion.

Since the first one is an absolutely absurd scenario, the more realistic and sensible second scenario is what must have really happened.

Do you have any more theories?

It's not such a crazy thought. People are often influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors or opinions. If some of the critics who didn't overly care for MOS have a large peer circle that they have sway over, who's to say that group mentality hasn't played a role in the awards?

It could also be that WB simply didn't go on the stump for MOS. They might be saving that for the next film. Awards shows aren't really about the best; they're often about who pushed to get noticed. It's kind of like a political campaign. If WB didn't push for it, then it's less likely they were going to get a nomination.