The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #101
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Default Re: Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casval View Post
Sony Imageworks wasn't indeed the best choice.
I think it was only that one shot where he looked like a Ken doll that was bad; I don't recall perfectly but I think everything else on SR was good. I know a lot of people liked the billet to the eye but I just thought it was overkill.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #102
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Default Re: Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

Seeing that VFX of that shot reminds me how great MOS effects were..

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
John-An is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #103
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Is there a category for hottest most bad a$$ kick a$$ fembot in a sci if movie?

Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #104
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

This other shot shows how wrong that list was but... anyways...

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #105
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Why did you post that again just a couple posts later?

Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #106
Casval
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
I think everything else on SR was good.
Yup, but the full CGI model was really bad (weird face, strange cape animation).

Casval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #107
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Why did you post that again just a couple posts later?
I accept that this time, it was my mistake due to my internet. I'll fix it.

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #108
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Seriously The Lone Ranger got a visual Oscar nomination. THE LONE RANGER and MOS didn't?. Good lord Snyder must've done something horrible to these folks.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #109
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Seriously The Lone Ranger got a visual Oscar nomination. THE LONE RANGER and MOS didn't?. Good lord Snyder must've done something horrible to these folks.
For all the rhetoric people can put forth about why mos didn't deserve the nom. TLR nom really is something. It's not like this had any of the inventiveness the pirate films had, mostly just train oriented stuff...

The world building in mos alone...
As for consistency of vfx, one need look no further than oscar winner golden compass to see a master class on such things.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #110
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

The problem with MOS is that it was such a mixed bag. It had some of the best and some of the worst CGI.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #111
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

@Smashlilman:

Good point.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #112
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
The problem with MOS is that it was such a mixed bag. It had some of the best and some of the worst CGI.
I don't know which things make you say that it has some of the worst CGI I've seen only minor details...
obviously it has flaws due to the the fact that he doesn't wear a mask, the cape, and his powers (superspeed and flight) but overall the VFX are pretty impressive looking real and plasmed Superman that made me believe that he exists in that realistic world.

I mean.. really?

Last edited by John-An; 12-07-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #113
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Yes that's a very good point. And the good fx weren't change the world mind blowing, you could see the same things in other scifi movies of the past years. Again I liked it and despite some bad parts I think the fx were good.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #114
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
CGI blurry is IM3 (fireworks) at the final battle, WWZ those yeah are pretty bad. But are from marvel/disney yeah!!!
I didn't think there was much blurry CGI in the Iron Man 3 finale. Weta did most of the work on that film (ILM was busy doing STID and Pacific Rim), and it looked very seamless. Same with MOS... 95% of the effects work was excellent.

In terms of seamless and unobtrusive work, Gravity has it in the bag. I don't think WB is fussed with getting MOS nominated, since another movie of theirs is the shoo-in winner anyway.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #115
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know which things make you say that it has some of the worst CGI I've seen only minor details...
obviously it has flaws due to the the fact that he doesn't wear a mask, the cape, and his powers (superspeed and flight) but overall the VFX are pretty impressive looking real and plasmed Superman that made me believe that he exists in that realistic world.

I mean.. really?
Just because you can pinpoint the great special effects shot, doesn't mean that the film does not have unimpressive special effects shots. There are two that come to mind as terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I like the film, but these shots are absolutely piss poor. The cinematography of the sky and the two superhumans fighting look so unrealistic, like 2D cartoon characters fighting in a 3D world. The second shot looks so fake because of the absurd physics behind it and the clear indicators that this is a CGI model flying (not to mention, the plastic look of the cape).

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #116
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Some of the worst??? Blurry maybe but never worst.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #117
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Not a big deal really.
MOS could still be nominated in other categories
Lol. Slim chance.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #118
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
It's not such a crazy thought. People are often influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors or opinions. If some of the critics who didn't overly care for MOS have a large peer circle that they have sway over, who's to say that group mentality hasn't played a role in the awards?

It could also be that WB simply didn't go on the stump for MOS. They might be saving that for the next film. Awards shows aren't really about the best; they're often about who pushed to get noticed. It's kind of like a political campaign. If WB didn't push for it, then it's less likely they were going to get a nomination.
There is not a single critic in the Academy. You know that right?

Besides I didn't get your post at all. What are you trying to say?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #119
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I thought at least one of the TF films won an Oscar.
Lol no. The first one lost to The Golden Compass. The second one was so terrible they did not even nominate it. The third one lost to Hugo.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #120
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
I've never immplied conspiration, you're saying that.
Oh you are absolutely saying that. This is what you wrote
"This list only confirms that something wasn't right when critics reviewed MOS. "
Quote:
They can dislike but with "strong" arguments but with nosense and how they wanted the movie instead of a constructive critic of what the movie is?
Again that is your fandom speaking. Plenty of very famous and credible and great critics very eloquently delineated their objections to the MOS in their reviews (eg. Washington Post, Slant, Variety, Salon, WSJ etc. etc.) but you would read every one of them and go
Objection 1 - "Rubbish"
Objection 2 - "Nonsense"
Objection 3 - "Who hired this critics?"
Objection 4 - "This critic needs to die!!!!!"
You simply cannot accept the fact that most people don't think MOS is a great movie or even a good movie.
Quote:
The true is that we all know that the quality of this VFX deserved the nomination (Gravity won for me) but it's far superior to any other of the list in terms of plasm a difficult superhero with his superpowers that were plasmed in a realistic way and the invasion were great plasmed also..
Another fallacy - you think opinions about quality are factual. YOU think the FX in MOS are the best, so it is YOUR opinion, and YOU know that MOS has the best FX according to YOU, it is not OUR opinion and WE don't think that MOS has the best FX. YOUR opinion is only YOURS and is not a fact held by all people.
Quote:
Or do you think some of the movies in the list had greater effects? Well
I do. I think apart from Gravity, I prefer Hobbit and Pacific Rim too FX wise.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #121
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

I sure miss the days of people not liking/liking movies because they simply dislike/like it. Nowadays, if you dislike/like a movie, you have to have a reason and analyze every single little detail. I'm just saying this in general, not directed at anyone.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #122
Steelsheen
Iconic

maybe this is the critics' way of getting back at the MOS team for all the nausea inducing shakey-cam

joking aside, it is quite surprising it didn't get a nom, but then at least Pacific Rim is in there, so I couldn't be too fussed about it beyond the i-dont-usually-care-about-the-Oscars-anyway sensibility.

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #123
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Some of the worst??? Blurry maybe but never worst.
Zod tossing the trunk into the the Kent house wasn't so great. Most of everything else was awesome. Some of the other bad spots are covered by the high quality of Choreography. It's like awesome Choreography but you can tell it was FX. That's why people love the Smallville fight so much. They constally hand off between real actors and CGI FX. They city space that that they where fighting in was real. It was hard to tell what was CGI and what was real. With the Zod air fight You could tell that it was all CGI. Sure what they actually did during the fight was awesome but you could tell it was all CGI. When you can tell that something is CGI its bad CGI.

I'm actually glad they did what they did in the Zod fight though.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #124
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Just because you can pinpoint the great special effects shot, doesn't mean that the film does not have unimpressive special effects shots. There are two that come to mind as terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I like the film, but these shots are absolutely piss poor. The cinematography of the sky and the two superhumans fighting look so unrealistic, like 2D cartoon characters fighting in a 3D world. The second shot looks so fake because of the absurd physics behind it and the clear indicators that this is a CGI model flying (not to mention, the plastic look of the cape).
Man please. first put something in HD, not in that terrible qualitiy. Did you see the movie in that quality? Then I can see why you saw that as fake. cause the second shot is clearly presenting that effect of the effect due to the speed.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #125
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Bro, that last act had a ton of weird CGI.