The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #26
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
You want people to use common sense? You want too much, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBats
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #27
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'm actually wondering now as to whether the first official still of this film will just feature Batman and Superman together or whether it'll feature the DC trinity.
I think they'll release them one at a time. That way they each get their time in the sun, and WB get more publicity at (presumably) regular intervals. I'd actually like if the first photo of each was sort of close and shadowy/obscured, like the TDKR Bane reveal. Then eventually follow them up with a well-lit, clear shot of all three kicking ass together.

Nerdgasm.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #28
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Steel is and forever will be Shaq. Deal.
Y u do dis?

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #29
WinterAssassinR
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I say this, not just referencing Marvel films, but any film in general; but when you have a film that has comedic elements placed at certain moments that can disrupt on how serious the situation around them is suppose to be, then I think it hurts the film in a way, especially if the goal is trying to present the antagonistic and villainous elements in a threatening and truly menacing way.
I love comedy in superhero movies, and wished there was more in DC movies, but Marvel movies tend to do it too much. Thor: The Dark World suffered from this. I literally facepalmed when Thor got on the subway, in the middle of the final fight for the Nine Realms' Fate.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #30
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I think they'll release them one at a time. That way they each get their time in the sun, and WB get more publicity at (presumably) regular intervals. I'd actually like if the first photo of each was sort of close and shadowy/obscured, like the TDKR Bane reveal. Then eventually follow them up with a well-lit, clear shot of all three kicking ass together.

Nerdgasm.
:Up:
I wish to hear the cast for lex luthor!!!

Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #31
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterAssassinR View Post
I love comedy in superhero movies, and wished there was more in DC movies, but Marvel movies tend to do it too much. Thor: The Dark World suffered from this. I literally facepalmed when Thor got on the subway, in the middle of the final fight for the Nine Realms' Fate.
I actually thought Thor's comedy was fine and felt natural. The Ironman movies are the ones that irritate me. It's like you cannot get RDJ to be serious for one second.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
I actually thought Thor's comedy was fine and felt natural. The Ironman movies are the ones that irritate me. It's like you cannot get RDJ to be serious for one second.
He was pretty serious in the first movie, and even in the Avengers. That complaint doesn't really work when you consider the fact that Tony Stark ISN'T supposed to be this dark, brooding, serious character. He's witty, charming, glib, sarcastic, etc, that's the character. It's both his nature and it's also a coping mechanism. I will agree that the comedy in IM 3 got somewhat annoying, but that might simply be how it was used.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #33
sf2
Side-Kick

IM3 is among the top 10 best movies 2013 selected by empire. mind u.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

My issue with the "comedy" debate is that some critics and fans can't fathom the fact that some characters simply aren't witty and funny like Tony Stark, or to a lesser extent, Thor. Batman is supposed be brooding and dark and fairly humorless. When he's playing (facade) Bruce Wayne, he puts on the charm, but the rest of the time, he's a pretty grim guy. And Superman, while certainly more optimistic and charismatic than Batman, is still very stoic and serious. He makes a joke every once in a while, but for the most part, he's a boy scout.

What works with one hero doesn't work with another. I think they have this idea that these characters--simply because they are superheroes--should all act the same. And that's stupid.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #35
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
My issue with the "comedy" debate is that some critics and fans can't fathom the fact that some characters simply aren't witty and funny like Tony Stark, or to a lesser extent, Thor. Batman is supposed be brooding and dark and fairly humorless. When he's playing (facade) Bruce Wayne, he puts on the charm, but the rest of the time, he's a pretty grim guy. And Superman, while certainly more optimistic and charismatic than Batman, is still very stoic and serious. He makes a joke every once in a while, but for the most part, he's a boy scout.

What works with one hero doesn't work with another. I think they have this idea that these characters--simply because they are superheroes--should all act the same. And that's stupid.
agreed…I guess one of my issues is that Tony Stark in the comics was never like Tony Stark in the movies….so to see him be comedic is a bit jarring.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
He was pretty serious in the first movie, and even in the Avengers. That complaint doesn't really work when you consider the fact that Tony Stark ISN'T supposed to be this dark, brooding, serious character. He's witty, charming, glib, sarcastic, etc, that's the character. It's both his nature and it's also a coping mechanism. I will agree that the comedy in IM 3 got somewhat annoying, but that might simply be how it was used.
The problem with im3 was that none of the characters took any thing seriously. Like Rodey telling Tony that the government named the suit iron patriot and all the terrorist around him started laughing. That all took place during a raid.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-06-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #37
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
that's patently obvious given nolan's trilogy, mos and green lantern, with the latter suffering because of it. i don't understand why marvel being less adult is a bad thing anyway. all that means is that they want to make films that more people enjoy. yes children are people too.
The DC/WB films are indeed more adult than the Marvel films. I don't think you'll ever see a break from the plot in a DC/WB film for a mad scientist to run around naked like we saw in Thor 2. The Marvel films are aimed at 10 year-olds, and that's ok, it is good and noble to entertain 10 year olds.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
roach
I am the night

I won't say more adult…it's just they treat their movies more seriously…but then again we haven't seen DC's 'fun' characters…the characters that joke and quip during a fight. Superman and Batman are all about business when it's time to work.
I am really hoping the tone of the Cap 2 trailer is maintained in that movie.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #39
Dk1201
Side-Kick

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/news...superman/80527

Reynolds should come back he wasn't THAT bad

Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #40
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dk1201 View Post
http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/news...superman/80527

Reynolds should come back he wasn't THAT bad
The events of MOS was a frist contact story. how could the events of GL be explained.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #41
roach
I am the night

Yeah GL put a bad taste in people's mouths and I don't think WB would want to link a series with so much hype behind it to that movie.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #42
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

This is how Green Lantern should make its return

Idris Elba as John Stewart

Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #43
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

lets cast chris evans as the flash, tom hiddleston as the joker and chris hemsworth as aquaman while we're at it.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #44
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I wouldn't particularly care if Reynolds came back.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #45
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
lets cast chris evans as the flash, tom hiddleston as the joker and chris hemsworth as aquaman while we're at it.
"I have an army of joker fish"

Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #46
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I won't say more adult…it's just they treat their movies more seriously…but then again we haven't seen DC's 'fun' characters…the characters that joke and quip during a fight. Superman and Batman are all about business when it's time to work.
I am really hoping the tone of the Cap 2 trailer is maintained in that movie.
Its funny because DC even tried to make the Flash, who is historically a very light and funny character, a darker character during his 90's tv series. That show was very much in the vein of the Tim Burton Batman films and quite honestly....I thought it worked very well. The darker, noir tone worked for the show. Its all about execution at the end of the day.

Its kind of ironic how things have changed because I feel like historically Marvel has always been the darker, edgier company and DC was all about light fun and Super Friends. Funny how the tables have turned.

Last edited by kguillou; 12-06-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #47
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I wouldn't particularly care if Reynolds came back.
yeah, I think Reynolds was a good choice for the part, I don't blame him at all for how the movie turned out.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #48
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
agreed…I guess one of my issues is that Tony Stark in the comics was never like Tony Stark in the movies….so to see him be comedic is a bit jarring.
Yeah, I haven't read many Iron Man comics but the ones I have read, he was never all jokey like he is in the movies. I still think it works for that character though. But if you made Superman or Batman like that, I think it would be awful.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #49
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I haven't read many Iron Man comics but the ones I have read, he was never all jokey like he is in the movies. I still think it works for that character though. But if you made Superman or Batman like that, I think it would be awful.
I think there is leeway with characters that aren't part of the GA knowledge…much like Blade who was so far from his comic version it's not funny. We've seen Superman and Batman countless times that when you deviate from what has come before…it feels like they got the character wrong.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #50
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterAssassinR View Post
Thor's fish out of water bit is a big part of the property and if marvel's smart they will keep playing it up. But dear god they undermined their tension with that stunt.
Would have been a universally celebrated gag had it happened during an earlier part of the film..

If mos had something of that sort during the final...maybe people would get off it's back for being too...maybe not.