Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #101
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Default Re: Tomb Raider (2013) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
I'm sure i will!
To be clear, and to save you from the shock of "What was Aziz talking about?"
The ax starts as something to open chests, you upgrade it to use it as a weapon and use it to climb, it's nothing special, but I prefer to spare using guns when I can

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
Proud member of the Hype Elite.
I still respect members of T.H.E.M, no bad feelings toward any of them.

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #102
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

i thought it was some kind of knife.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #103
zenith16
Side-Kick

Tomb Raider Sales Close To 6 Million; Exceed Profit Expectations. March 6, 2014 . 10:21am

“By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot,” says Darrell Gallagher, Square Enix’s Head of Studios.

Quote:

How time flies. It’s been a year since Square Enix released their Tomb Raider reboot, and while the game went on to sell a large number of copies, it didn’t perform to Square Enix’s expectations—at the time.

That isn’t the case any more, however, reveals Darrell Gallagher, Square Enix’s Head of Studios.

“By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot, and, having achieved profitability back in 2013 Tomb Raider has exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance,” Gallagher wrote on the Tomb Raider blog this morning.

Gallagher says that Tomb Raider is on course to become the best-selling game in the history of the franchise, and goes on to mention that Crystal Dynamics will build upon the successes and lessons learnt from the game in its sequel, which is presently in development.

source:Siliconera

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #104
the last son
Side-Kick

really like this game. For the next please improve the generic and bland action portions of the game.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #105
The Hill
Frat House Member

Man, forget the action. I just want a better focus on exploring....or I should say the action should be second to the focus on the adventuring/exploration.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
The Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #106
Havok83
Side-Kick

Tomb Raider has always been weak on the action and putting emphasis on that definetly isn't the direction they should have gone nor should continue to go. IA with going back to its root and focusing more on the adventure/exploration aspect of the series. That's where it excels at

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #107
The Hill
Frat House Member

Also, a return to fighting--or should I say defending yourself from local wildlife would be a welcome return as well. Tomb Raider was more about Lara vs The Tomb/Environment. Death Traps with risky platforming/problem solving and natural predators should be the main dangers. With the rival treasure hunters/mercenaries being the minor inconvenience, heck if they were creative, they could create a situation or two when you had to manipulate a hostile human to spring a trap to advance. Killing two birds with one stone.

"Shepard you're missing it! It's Goddamn GLORIOUS! I'm clawing out bodies out here!" Grunt Mass Effect 2
Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #108
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

I hope not. I want it to be like the reboot. I'm not a fan of the old Tomb Raider games and I loved the new one. I'm all for more exploration and puzzles, but I want them to keep the same level of action from the first.

Jick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #109
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post

Tomb Raider Sales Close To 6 Million; Exceed Profit Expectations. March 6, 2014 . 10:21am

“By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot,” says Darrell Gallagher, Square Enix’s Head of Studios.

[/LEFT]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
So it can be sequel time now please?

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #110
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

No, because female games... don't... sell well?

I loved this game, it made me really happy. I think they'll have their fair share of challenge to take her dual guns and make that some interesting gameplay, especially since I don't think they're doing the crazy impossible acrobatics from the earlier series.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #111
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
So it can be sequel time now please?
they said a sequel is coming already man. Now when they start talking about it to the gamer press is up to them.

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #112
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
No, because female games... don't... sell well?

I loved this game, it made me really happy. I think they'll have their fair share of challenge to take her dual guns and make that some interesting gameplay, especially since I don't think they're doing the crazy impossible acrobatics from the earlier series.
With that being said, my favorite weapon in the first was the bow and arrow. I also had fun shooting, but not more than using those. I was under the impression that most who played the game felt the same way.
I hope that's still part of her arsenal in the sequel.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #113
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

So...any of you read the Tomb raider comic yet? The new one,written by Gail Simone.

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #114
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
I hope not. I want it to be like the reboot. I'm not a fan of the old Tomb Raider games and I loved the new one. I'm all for more exploration and puzzles, but I want them to keep the same level of action from the first.
I thought this one had just the right mix

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #115
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I want a 50% mix of the 2 (edit: old & new style TR games I mean, wasn't commenting on the action/exploration mix). I'll always love the old Tomb Raider games, especially the 1st 2 but I also love this new Lara and some of the new gameplay elements.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #116
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
With that being said, my favorite weapon in the first was the bow and arrow. I also had fun shooting, but not more than using those. I was under the impression that most who played the game felt the same way.
I hope that's still part of her arsenal in the sequel.
Oh, oh... the bow was by far, FAR my favorite weapon. No doubt about that. However, it seems strongly tied to the island story. Without that experience, with her choice of weapons, it doesn't seem to make much sense for Lara to brandish a bow in her continued adventures as her basic armament. The story leads her to value the twin pistols as we saw in the old games. Thus, afaik, the developers are in a place where they have to make the twin pistols as fun as the bow and arrow was. No mean feat, to say the least.

Now, it should clearly show up, but it will need some clever justification, I think just to be there.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #117
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post

[/LEFT]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
So did the financial guys at Square learn that you can sell more copies after the 1st month now? How cute.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #118
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
So did the financial guys at Square learn that you can sell more copies after the 1st month now? How cute.
it did fine in the long run but they were looking for it to make money before the end of their fiscal year which is what mattered at the time (which I believe was March 31; game came out March 3)

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #119
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Oh, oh... the bow was by far, FAR my favorite weapon. No doubt about that. However, it seems strongly tied to the island story. Without that experience, with her choice of weapons, it doesn't seem to make much sense for Lara to brandish a bow in her continued adventures as her basic armament. The story leads her to value the twin pistols as we saw in the old games. Thus, afaik, the developers are in a place where they have to make the twin pistols as fun as the bow and arrow was. No mean feat, to say the least.

Now, it should clearly show up, but it will need some clever justification, I think just to be there.
I had the same line of thinking and tried to figure why it would be relevant for her to still use it, then I remembered that there are a varied number of things she can do with it instead of just using it for protection, like when she needs to go from one point to another in a safe way, or pull a distant object, device or a fragile spot on a walkway or safehouse to make it fall. For the action, you can make incendiary arrows, too. Don't forget the silent kill that it provides and you can retrive the arrow after the action. So it saves ammo.

It's just more pratical in diverse situations where guns are more loud and attract a lot of attention. In the sequel, they'll have the opportunity to make it more hi-tech and give even more attributes to it, since it won't be a improvised asset, anymore. Also, maybe Lara just became more accostumed to it, like Green Arrow in the Arrow series, after he leaves the island.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #120
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
it did fine in the long run but they were looking for it to make money before the end of their fiscal year which is what mattered at the time (which I believe was March 31; game came out March 3)
Forecasting a number that would make a 4 year old look stupid is just as stupid if you're looking for it to happen than if you're not looking for it to happen.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #121
KevanG
Brony

I liked using the bow far more than any of the guns. I tend to adopt a stealth route when playing games like this so I'm always looking to take down everyone without raising a ruckus. I'd be disappointed if we didn't have an option for it or something similar.

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
KevanG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #122
The Hill
Frat House Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I want a 50% mix of the 2 (edit: old & new style TR games I mean, wasn't commenting on the action/exploration mix). I'll always love the old Tomb Raider games, especially the 1st 2 but I also love this new Lara and some of the new gameplay elements.
Tomb Raider 2 remade in the style of 2013...

With that said, they needed to cut back or scap the Uncharted-like ambush set pieces andmake the exploring more rewarding. Also, the rifle ans shotgun should not have been perminant inventory items. Either found around the map, or on a dead body. Same with medpacks... oh wait GET RID OF THE AUTO HEALING As for the 'tomb raiding' segments, not only they made them optional (the most fundamental element of the franchise) they were easy to find (often the entrance was placed onthe critical path meaning you didn't have to look for them.) they were simple to solve. I've once said that Uncharted was a dumb down version of the TR franchise, but after 2013, the puzzles are not even worthy of the word.The story kinda made the case for why you was fighing more humans than preditory animals, but like some one said about the bow (a highlight of the game) they need to justify the reason.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #123
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanG View Post
I liked using the bow far more than any of the guns. I tend to adopt a stealth route when playing games like this so I'm always looking to take down everyone without raising a ruckus. I'd be disappointed if we didn't have an option for it or something similar.
The bow has to stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hill View Post
Tomb Raider 2 remade in the style of 2013...

With that said, they needed to cut back or scap the Uncharted-like ambush set pieces andmake the exploring more rewarding. Also, the rifle ans shotgun should not have been perminant inventory items. Either found around the map, or on a dead body. Same with medpacks... oh wait GET RID OF THE AUTO HEALING As for the 'tomb raiding' segments, not only they made them optional (the most fundamental element of the franchise) they were easy to find (often the entrance was placed onthe critical path meaning you didn't have to look for them.) they were simple to solve. I've once said that Uncharted was a dumb down version of the TR franchise, but after 2013, the puzzles are not even worthy of the word.The story kinda made the case for why you was fighing more humans than preditory animals, but like some one said about the bow (a highlight of the game) they need to justify the reason.
Yeah Tomb Raiding shouldn't be optional! Like street fighting shouldn't be optional in Street Fighter lol. They need to combine the best elements of this reboot and the 1st 2 Tomb Raider games and they would have something amazing.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #124
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
I had the same line of thinking and tried to figure why it would be relevant for her to still use it, then I remembered that there are a varied number of things she can do with it instead of just using it for protection, like when she needs to go from one point to another in a safe way, or pull a distant object, device or a fragile spot on a walkway or safehouse to make it fall. For the action, you can make incendiary arrows, too. Don't forget the silent kill that it provides and you can retrive the arrow after the action. So it saves ammo.

It's just more pratical in diverse situations where guns are more loud and attract a lot of attention. In the sequel, they'll have the opportunity to make it more hi-tech and give even more attributes to it, since it won't be a improvised asset, anymore. Also, maybe Lara just became more accostumed to it, like Green Arrow in the Arrow series, after he leaves the island.
Hmm... why not just use silencers? Does she plan on getting stranded again where she needs to pull walkways and such? Is the bow really the best grappling hook-like option on Earth? I'm not convinced. Like the bow, it'd have to be acquired in the story somehow. There's really not a realistic reason for her to step off the boat.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #125
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Would she only pull walkways and such if she is stranded on an island? Won't she go on new adventures? On new places where she must be prepared for this sort of thing and more? Specially on dangerous tombs where there might be diverse kinds of dangers, obstacles and she must be as resourceful as she can without having to carry a different device for each different thing that she is pushed to do? Wouldn't this weapon avoid carring many others utensils since she can do a lot with just this one? I don't see why not or why this is unrealistic. It's pratical and she's just continuing to use something that she grew accostumed to.

Last edited by Jick; 03-08-2014 at 08:57 PM.