The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #126
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Default Re: Tomb Raider (2013) - Part 1

They could do the ol' Metroid thing. She has a bunch of equipment at the start including the bow, something happens and she ends up getting stuck with only that at first.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #127
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^That could be something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
Would she only pull walkways and such if she is stranded on an island? Won't she go on new adventures? On new places where she must be prepared for this sort of thing and more? Specially on dangerous tombs where there might be diverse kinds of dangers, obstacles and she must be as resourceful as she can without having to carry a different device for each different thing that she is pushed to do? Wouldn't this weapon avoid carring many others utensils since she can do a lot with just this one? I don't see why not or why this is unrealistic. It's pratical and she's just continuing to use something that she grew accostumed to.
Well, like I was saying, is the bow the best grappling hook available? If not, it'd make more sense to have a grappling hook to pull walkways and such. Is it the best silenced weapon available? Is it better to retrieve 20 arrows or bring an extra magazine? What takes up more space than a big giant compound bow? It's not the practical option, and it would not be wise to try and sell it as though it were, because that would call for poor story writing. They need to write another story where Lara is forced to use a bow.

And while they could make Lara into Green Arrow/Hawkeye, it kinda negates the very thematic arc given to Lara's acquisition and use of the iconic dual pistols in the first game. Yes, you can have the bow and arrow take the place of the dual pistols in this Tomb Raider Franchise, but you at least need to acknowledge that's what you're doing.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #128
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Equipment is easy. I'd be more worried about explaining how she has to go through the skill tree again. Unless they create entirely new ones.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #129
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Well, like I was saying, is the bow the best grappling hook available? If not, it'd make more sense to have a grappling hook to pull walkways and such. Is it the best silenced weapon available? Is it better to retrieve 20 arrows or bring an extra magazine? What takes up more space than a big giant compound bow? It's not the practical option, and it would not be wise to try and sell it as though it were, because that would call for poor story writing. They need to write another story where Lara is forced to use a bow.

And while they could make Lara into Green Arrow/Hawkeye, it kinda negates the very thematic arc given to Lara's acquisition and use of the iconic dual pistols in the first game.
They already did it in the first. With that game, we can see how pratical the bow can be. Like I said before, it can be more hi-tech. It can be a kind of arrow with a panel in the middle that can expand and retrieve its "arms". This way, she could place it in her belt. I'd say it is better to retrieve 20 arrows (if it is within her reach) and bring an extra magazine. The thing is, she can't retrieve the lost bullets once she is all out of it and, when she is in extreme conditions where more ammo or guns is nowhere in sigh, then the arrows are the best option. This happened in the first game. It is pratical because she can avoid carrying multiple devices, because she can retrieve arrows, because it is silent, because it can offer more attributes that my imagination can think of right now and, besides all, it can serve as a melee weapon too. So, yes, it is the best grappling hook available, because it can do more. It is the best silenced weapon, because you can retrieve its "ammo". What takes less space than a grappling hook, melee weapons, diverse guns, many magazines and other devices and resources? A bow that can become portable.

I disagree with your view that this is poor story writing, because she is familiar with the bow. Green Arrow/Hawkeye, with the super precise aim that they have, could also use guns, but they're familiar with the bow and its multiple uses. They could also have another device for the grappling, but why do that if the bow offers the same and more? We got Lara at the end with the dual guns, but she is more familiar and trained with the bow by the end of the game, so it is only natural that she carries an upgraded version of it for her next unknown adventures.

Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #130
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Hey guys who played it on the PS4 & the XB1
Did they add a New Game+ feature?

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
Proud member of H.E
I still respect members of T.H.E.M, no bad feelings toward any of them.

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #131
zenith16
Side-Kick

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote