The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #301
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I know people are excited for Fong collaborating with ZED again, but I actually want visual continuity with MOS. I worry that this will end up too much in the visual wheel house of WATCMEN or 300. It was a real surprise and I think to the film's benefit that Snyder toned things down and gave a realistic looking world for the most part.
I hope they scrap the MoS cinematography completely.

No more pointless zooms, no more washed out grey colour grading, no more documentary film crew in the Kryptonian high council chamber.

You can look realistic without having to resort to that stuff.

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #302
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Harvest View Post
http://screenrant.com/watchmen-movie...draft-details/

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Silver is right that changes to V for Vendetta helped to ensure that the film adaptation, directed by James McTeigue, was satisfying to fans and casual viewers alike but Snyder’s Watchmen wasn’t a complete copy and paste job. The final act of Watchmen was often the primary hurdle for any writer attempting to develop a faithful screenplay of the graphic novel – which features Adrian Veidt (aka Ozymandias) faking an extraterrestrial attack (for the purpose of uniting warring Earth nations against a common threat) by teleporting a giant genetically engineered squid creature into the heart of New York City.

Writers David Hayter and Alex Tse both made significant alterations to that challenging final act – replacing the infamous squid with weaponized energy reactors that make it appear as though Dr. Manhattan turned on humanity and destroyed major cities around the globe (establishing him as the target of humanity’s now united efforts). While many fans derided the change as a cop-out, others felt as though Tse’s version was actually tidier but just as impactful as Moore’s original concept.

Yet, Silver maintains that Gilliam had an even better solution – one that would have been a significant departure from the source material:

What Terry had done, and it was a Sam Hamm script–who had written a script that everybody loved for the first “Batman”–and then he brought in a guy who’d worked for him to do work on it [Charles McKeown, co-writer of "Brazil"]. What he did was he told the story as-is, but instead of the whole notion of the intergalactic thing which was too hard and too silly, what he did was he maintained that the existence of Doctor Manhattan had changed the whole balance of the world economy, the world political structure. He felt that THAT character really altered the way reality had been. He had the Ozymandias character convince, essentially, the Doctor Manhattan character to go back and stop himself from being created, so there never would be a Doctor Manhattan character. He was the only character with real supernatural powers, he went back and prevented himself from being turned into Doctor Manhattan, and in the vortex that was created after that occurred these characters from “Watchmen” only became characters in a comic book.

Of course, this doesn’t mean that Dr. Manhattan wasn’t in the movie at all. Silver seems to imply that where Ozymandias would teleport a squid (or energy reactor) into New York City – killing millions of innocent people – he would, instead, persuade Dr. Manhattan to go back in time to prevent his former self, Jon Osterman, from ever being trapped inside the nuclear test chamber. Considering that Dr. Manhattan is the only actual superhuman in the film, responsible for years of influencing global politics, his absence would then drastically alter the film’s 1980s present.

It’s an interesting idea, and one that could have easily worked; though, fans might have rolled their eyes at the part about the Watchmen heroes becoming displaced “characters in a comic book.”

Silver elaborated further on the fates of Rorschach, Nite Owl, and Silk Spectre – and how the rest of the world would perceive them (following Dr. Manhattan’s reality-bending change):

“So the three characters, I think it was Rorschach and Nite Owl and Silk Spectre, they’re all of the sudden in Times Square and there’s a kid reading a comic book. They become like the people in Times Square dressing up like characters as opposed to really BEING those characters. There’s a kid reading the comic book and he’s like, “Hey, you’re just like in my comic book.” It was very smart, it was very articulate, and it really gave a very satisfying resolution to the story, but it just didn’t happen. Lost to time [...] But I did like the [2009] movie, very much. Zack did great stuff in it!”

The Dr. Manhattan aspect might provide a satisfying resolution but it’s hard to imagine how Gilliam would have actually made that plan for Rorschach and Nite Owl and Silk Spectre work on the big screen. Would everyday moviegoers and comic fans have considered such an on-the-nose connection to superhero lore satisfying – especially considering the world is left entirely unaware of its alternate history (and the heroes who fought for it)?

Let us know which version of Watchmen you prefer. As for the future (read: past) of the series, we’ll keep you updated on whether or not the Before Watchmen prequel comic ever makes it to the big or small screen.

I'm happy they didn't use the Joe Silver version.
lol Slave to the source material? That's why people pay to see it. To see the source material on film.

Sounds like Silver wanted to make a Silver film.

Zack wanted to make a Watchmen film.

HERESY!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #303
roach
I am the night

Zack Snyder fired back

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4886277.html

"It's funny, because the biggest knock against the movie is that we finally changed the ending, right? If you read the Gilliam ending, it's completely insane. The fans would have stormed the castle on that one. So, honestly, I made "Watchmen" for myself. It's probably my favorite movie that I've made. And I love the graphic novel and I really love everything about the movie. I love the style. I just love the movie and it was a labor of love. And I made it because I knew that the studio would have made the movie anyway and they would have made it crazy. So, finally I made it to save it from the Terry Gilliams of this world."

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #304
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

I'm glad Snyder fired back at Silver for that. Silver sounds like a troll, shooting his mouth off this long after the fact and Gilliam's ending sounds f***ing stupid. I'll defend Snyder's Watchmen to the death; I'm a huge fan of the graphic novel and I loved what he did with it. It might not have been a perfect movie, but as we see now, they could have taken it in a MUCH worse direction.

Jensen Ackles for Convenience Store Clerk #2
Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #305
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

"Zack Snyder: Yeah! If you love the graphic novel, there's just no way. It would be like if you were doing "Romeo and Juliet" and instead of them waking up in the grave area, they would have time-traveled back in time and none of it would have happened."

I think Gilliam's version seemed like it wanted to have its cake and eat it. Make it a deconstruction of the superhero genre-then embrace it by having Dr Manhatten save the day at the last minute.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #306
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

No one could screw up Watchmen Gilliam tried.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #307
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Good! Listening to Snyder in interviews and reading most of his stuff, I think he is widely misinterpreted as a film director and has quickly shot up my list as my favorite director. Critics and fans alike polarize him but it's those voices that make me realize how special of a visionist Zack is and I've become fond of that.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #308
Xandrea
Side-Kick

Snyder is being unfair to Gilliam. The original script was written by Sam Hamm, and Gilliam was unhappy with it. He tried to rewrite it, but then realized that in order to do the story any justice it would have to be a mini-series not a movie. So he gave up on the project.

http://movieline.com/2009/11/04/terry-gilliam-watchmen/

"Gilliam twice attempted to mount Watchmen for the screen (even going so far as to pitch it as a television miniseries) but could never make it work, so I was curious what he thought of Zack Snyder's theatrical adaptation of the graphic novel, which came out earlier this year.
"I felt a lot of it was so good," Gilliam began. "It got the look of it brilliantly. But it suffered from some of the things I was having problems with when I was trying to write a script. It's too short. It's also too long! It's a very weird thing and they had to make so many compromises and changes. I was always saying it should be a five-part miniseries. I still believe that."

Edit: Reading Silver's comments again, it's possible he was referring to the rewrite. I admit now that I have no idea which is the case.

Last edited by Xandrea; 03-03-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #309
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

I don't fault Synder for his ideas. It's his lack of artistic editing that falls short.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #310
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrea View Post
Snyder is being unfair to Gilliam. The original script was written by Sam Hamm, and Gilliam was unhappy with it. He tried to rewrite it, but then realized that in order to do the story any justice it would have to be a mini-series not a movie. So he gave up on the project.

http://movieline.com/2009/11/04/terry-gilliam-watchmen/

"Gilliam twice attempted to mount Watchmen for the screen (even going so far as to pitch it as a television miniseries) but could never make it work, so I was curious what he thought of Zack Snyder's theatrical adaptation of the graphic novel, which came out earlier this year.
"I felt a lot of it was so good," Gilliam began. "It got the look of it brilliantly. But it suffered from some of the things I was having problems with when I was trying to write a script. It's too short. It's also too long! It's a very weird thing and they had to make so many compromises and changes. I was always saying it should be a five-part miniseries. I still believe that."

Edit: Reading Silver's comments again, it's possible he was referring to the rewrite. I admit now that I have no idea which is the case.
Yeah, I felt like he took his anger towards Silver and dumped some of it on Gilliam. He should have focused ONLY on Silver rather than other filmmakers who wanted a crack at it.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #311
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Got a few days off from work and I feel like having my own personal Zack Synder film fest.

I'm thinking Man of Steel again, the Director's Cut of Watchmen (which I started a couple weeks ago not realizing it was three hours long) and Sucker Punch, even though I hear it's terrible. The latter seems like pretty much the definition of eye candy though.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 03-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #312
Lord
All Mighty

Sucker Punch is just a dumb film trying to be artistic and deep, yet failing miserably.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #313
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
Got a few days off from work and I feel like having my own personal Zack Synder film fest.

I'm thinking Man of Steel again, the Director's Cut of Watchmen (which I started a couple weeks ago not realizing it was three hours long) and Sucker Punch, even though I hear it's terrible. The latter seems like pretty much the definition of eye candy though.
I'm doing this too. Man of Steel (obviously) will always top the charts on my list of re-watches on my lazy days.

Watchmen, 300 & Dawn of the Dead I'll get for a Snyder-weekend. Not sure about Sucker Punch as of yet. Never seen it but it's always good to understand a director like Snyder to see something completely on the opposite end of his spectrum than Man of Steel and Sucker Punch is just that.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #314
SofNascimento
Banned User

Overall, I like Snyder work. I liked Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchman and Man of Steel. Sucker Punch is below the line.

At this moment I'm kind of "shaken" because my disappointment with Artemisia and what that might means for WW, but I still have some confidence in him.

At least on the action, if I could pick any direction, he would be very high on the list.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #315
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
Overall, I like Snyder work. I liked Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchman and Man of Steel. Sucker Punch is below the line.

At this moment I'm kind of "shaken" because my disappointment with Artemisia and what that might means for WW, but I still have some confidence in him.

At least on the action, if I could pick any direction, he would be very high on the list.
What's watchman?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #316
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Sucker Punch is just a dumb film trying to be artistic and deep, yet failing miserably.
Actually it's a nod to his favorite graphic magazine called "Heavy Metal". A movie that he was trying to get made. So he made up his own.

I love haters.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 03-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #317
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I wasn't thrilled with Sucker Punch but I didn't hate it. Tbh it kind of confused me.

What's that Owl movie he did like?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #318
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

The Guardians of...something...

Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #319
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

the guardians of ga'hoole

Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #320
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Is it any good?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #321
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ It's ok for a kid's movie. Neat animation. There's some owls doing slow-mo if I recall correctly, lol.

\S/T*
Old 03-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #322
Chip Chipperson
FOR YOU

Guardians of the Ga'hoolaxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Then it will be just like The Dark Knight Rises! :o
Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #323
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
^ It's ok for a kid's movie. Neat animation. There's some owls doing slow-mo if I recall correctly, lol.
Ahh cool, might check it out sometime

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #324
Asr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1979 View Post
the guardians of ga'hoole
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Incidentally the only Snyder movie that I haven't seen, maybe I'll get around to it soon. Just looked up the voice cast, it has Hugo Weaving, Geoffrey Rush, and David Wenham....

Last edited by Asr; 03-07-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #325
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Haven't seen it, but I feel like that's his 'fly below the radar film.' Like he decided to make it as a way of making a film without the backlash of his more signature works.

Closed Thread