The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #51
green

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
If you disregard the story and script of Suckerpunch and instead watch it as a purely visual experience or imagine it's one big music video then it's incredibly enjoyable.
Which is mostly what I do with it. Story wise it was definitely a bit of a let down…but man the Babydoll fight with the 3 Samurais as well as the robot train sequence are just plain phenomenal visually.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #52
the5timechamp
Side-Kick

mistakes..such an incomplete description..

anyhow the major ones:
-He didnt conceal the identity of the Comedians killer well enough, and for those who didnt catch it the "look" of Ozy completely finished giving it away.

-The reveal that Ozy had already commited his atrocities just didnt generate any response whatsoever..whether it was how it was shot or framed or whatever..the big reveal just fell flat.

For those who know the book I suppose the surprise is missing and its a matter of just viewing the spectacle...but even those who had minimal knowledge of Watchmen appeared to be pretty underwhelmed by what were supposed to be huge reveals...a movie focused on a mystery cant fail in that regard...

But outside of that and a few other little gripes, its great.. credit sequence and the creation of Dr. Manhattan...wow..

Old 12-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #53
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5timechamp View Post
mistakes..such an incomplete description..

anyhow the major ones:
-He didnt conceal the identity of the Comedians killer well enough, and for those who didnt catch it the "look" of Ozy completely finished giving it away.

-The reveal that Ozy had already commited his atrocities just didnt generate any response whatsoever..whether it was how it was shot or framed or whatever..the big reveal just fell flat.

For those who know the book I suppose the surprise is missing and its a matter of just viewing the spectacle...but even those who had minimal knowledge of Watchmen appeared to be pretty underwhelmed by what were supposed to be huge reveals...a movie focused on a mystery cant fail in that regard...

But outside of that and a few other little gripes, its great.. credit sequence and the creation of Dr. Manhattan...wow..
Yeah this does bug me somewhat. There's one or two shots where you can clearly see Goode's face and his lanky body and height don't help either.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #54
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Only Snyder film I dislike is Sucker Punch. Besides that, I'm a fan of his work and he seems like a really humble person.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #55
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Only Snyder film I dislike is Sucker Punch. Besides that, I'm a fan of his work and he seems like a really humble person.
Agreed 100%.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #56
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
If you disregard the story and script of Suckerpunch and instead watch it as a purely visual experience or imagine it's one big music video then it's incredibly enjoyable.
Same here. I love Sucker Punch but it feels like Zack Snyder looked at Inception and said "hold my beer I can do that".

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #57
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch Ninja View Post
Yup I put mos over both tdk and ta.
Yeah this made me laugh as well.
I think TDK is overrated but I admit it is better than MOS.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Old 12-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #58
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I feel like if Snyder had the luxury of getting a really solid screenwriter to write a film for him to direct, then it'd make things easier for him.

Granted, I know it's a director's job to be in control of how the story is told, but from what I've seen, Snyder hasn't really worked with great screenwriters who can really deliver a well thought out story as of yet.
Snyder's first film was off a script by the great James Gunn, and to this day it remains as his most critically acclaimed movie. So the proof is in the pudding that he is only as good as the script he directs. The man does have talent in him, clearly. But method of actual storytelling is not one of them.

At least not in long form. Considering his best moments tend to be found in montages or his trailer edits, it's evident where his strengths lie.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #59
The Guard
Side-Kick

I think people miss the point about Snyder's use of Ozymandias in WATCHMEN. The point isn't that he does a bad job hiding that Veidt is the killer. I'm sure he could have been more subtle with it if he wanted. The point is that he turns the trope of the evil billionaire villain on its head, much like the comic did. You're more or less, in the film, supposed to realize that Veidt may be involved, and even that he is the outright villain, but the point is that the villain isn't this creature of pure evil like people expect.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #60
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah this does bug me somewhat. There's one or two shots where you can clearly see Goode's face and his lanky body and height don't help either.
I have a friend who has never read a comic in his life...and he took one look at Ozymandias and said "he did it." In some ways, it hurt the experience for him.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #61
jmc
callin' it like I see it

He's a director who's strengths lie in short bursts not in full length features as a whole. If money could be made in short action films he would be the greatest. His trailers always look awesome but he cannot translate that into a full movie. Inconsistency is his biggest problem in his films, they tend to have moments of brilliance mixed with bad film making decisions, has an over reliance of spectacle over substance, and has massive problems with editing and pacing. He's a very visual film maker, but not a very good story teller.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #62
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree. I've watched Avengers 5 times on blu ray since it was released and every time I get something out of it. The great thing about Avengers is that it delivers on what a Superhero movie should do. Moments that the audience can vicariously live through. I'm talking about moments like when Iron Man stops the terrorists in Iraq in Iron Man 1 and when Hulk smashes the Chitauri flying whale. Those amazing heroic moments where the protagonist does something so amazing and cool that you get a little giddy thrill like it was you who did it. That's why most people watch and love Superhero movies.

I like Man of Steel but it feels like a great movie that's let down by a few strange script choices and odd pacing that is obviously the result of a studio forced cut.
I thought the World Engine scene was very heroic. The gravity beam hitting him as he stands with his first in the air then the screen pans out to see the waves behind him. Looked like Moses parting the red Sea.

That moment was great. Very superheroishly visually stunning.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #63
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

He makes some cool trailers out of his films. That's pretty much the best praise I can give him.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #64
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Snyder's first film was off a script by the great James Gunn, and to this day it remains as his most critically acclaimed movie. So the proof is in the pudding that he is only as good as the script he directs. The man does have talent in him, clearly. But method of actual storytelling is not one of them.

At least not in long form. Considering his best moments tend to be found in montages or his trailer edits, it's evident where his strengths lie.
I feel like he needs a strong screenwriter to do the heavy lifting. I don't think he's discerning enough to see when a script goes south.

If Ben fixes the script this time around, I think the sequel can be MUCH better, but I will still expect awkward pacing and performances that might not always feel subtle enough.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #65
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
He's a director who's strengths lie in short bursts not in full length features as a whole. If money could be made in short action films he would be the greatest. His trailers always look awesome but he cannot translate that into a full movie. Inconsistency is his biggest problem in his films, they tend to have moments of brilliance mixed with bad film making decisions, has an over reliance of spectacle over substance, and has massive problems with editing and pacing. He's a very visual film maker, but not a very good story teller.
He would make a phenomenal DP, basically.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #66
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Let Ben direct JL, with ZS as the DoP!!! Make it happen WB!!

Old 12-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #67
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Let Ben direct JL, with ZS as the DoP!!! Make it happen WB!!
I'd be on board with that.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #68
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Affleck has admitted before he probably wouldn't be a great director for something like JL (this was well before he got cast btw). I think Snyder is just fine in the director's chair, as from that position he's allowed to make decisions which are crucial to the final project (casting and art direction primarily). He just needs a lot of help in his weaker areas.

I'd be absolutely ecstatic if they co-directed together though. That really would be the best of both worlds.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #69
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

It's really great to have so many expert filmmakers here.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #70
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

I'm not worried about Snyder at all. Watchmen was a much harder project to get right than Batman/Superman but he pulled that off.

I am worried about Goyer being the sole scriptwriter. I'm hoping that Affleck is at least doing a little consulting or giving notes on the script.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #71
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Affleck has admitted before he probably wouldn't be a great director for something like JL (this was well before he got cast btw). I think Snyder is just fine in the director's chair, as from that position he's allowed to make decisions which are crucial to the final project (casting and art direction primarily). He just needs a lot of help in his weaker areas.

I'd be absolutely ecstatic if they co-directed together though. That really would be the best of both worlds.
A Zack Snyder influenced Ben Affleck film?

Let Zack handle the CGI integration, aesthetics, and action,and maybe some of the drama, and Ben handle the tone/pacing/structure etc. I think THAT movie might even top TA.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #72
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
A Zack Snyder influenced Ben Affleck film?

Let Zack handle the CGI integration, aesthetics, and action,and maybe some of the drama, and Ben handle the tone/pacing/structure etc. I think THAT movie might even top TA.
Ben Affleck is clearly the stronger director when it comes to drama.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #73
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Style and visuals over substance.
Strangely there isn't prominent style n visual in MOS.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #74
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Strangely there isn't prominent style n visual in MOS.
There's even less substance.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #75
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Yeah, what a terrible movie.

Some of them fell into Hell
Closed Thread