The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #201
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ Don't you know? It's a dark parody of misogynistic geek culture.

The dreams are how the characters cope with a horrific reality-and somehow involve dragons/robonazis and robo-samurai. And they wear the same clothes, when they can easily imagine more battle-ready garb.

I buy that Sucker punch is a feminist film as much as I might buy Shi Labeef claiming his recent plagiarism debacle was all an elaborate hoax.

Snyder wanted to have his cake an eat it too. The guy doesn't know the meaning of subtlety.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #202
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
I buy that Sucker punch is a feminist film as much as I might buy Shi Labeef claiming his recent plagiarism debacle was all an elaborate hoax.

Snyder wanted to have his cake an eat it too. The guy doesn't know the meaning of subtlety.
He totally did. "I know!" I'll bash the culture I'm pandering to! That will show-em!" :P

Old 12-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #203
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Sucker Punch a feminist film? Lol.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #204
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

"Feminism in action!"

Old 12-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #205
Vid Electricz
Banned User

http://drayfish.wordpress.com/2013/0...-sucker-punch/

http://interrogatingmedia.wordpress....goodness-sake/

"Is the point of the brothel to get the girls into exploitative costumes to expose the fact that exploitative costumes are exploitative? Now, when you fantasize about a girl in a schoolgirl outfit, will you picture Baby Doll and think, “wow, this is kind of a strange fantasy that infantilizes women and removes their agency, but perhaps a woman can still wear this type of thing and feel both sexy and empowered?” Cool, but what’s with the rest of this s***? Why do you need to repeatedly victimize women on screen to make a facile point about your dumb fetishes?"

Let’s just remember that this is a film written by a dude, directed by a dude, wherein his female character’s wildest fantasy, she is still an object, subject to rape and violence, while being mostly powerless to save herself. Sucker Punch is something alright, but feminist it ain’t.

Snyder:

For me, and I know it's having your cake and eating it too, but I start the movie on purpose with her on a stage and I say, "OK, this is a show." And all the rules of the movie are up for grabs. But I try to give you enough rules that you can latch onto something. But I don't want those rules to get in the way of the intent of the scene. It's like Moulin Rouge, where it's a musical and the exact rules don't apply, but enough of them do that the world is still consistent. I didn't want it to get in the way of things that are awesome.

Thanks for the succinct summing up of your entire film making ideology Zack. lol.

Last edited by Vid Electricz; 12-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #206
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

It's up for interpretation, but there are rules, but I can break them, but-HEYLOOKHOTCHICKSFIGHTINGROBOTS!!!

Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #207
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ Don't you know? It's a dark parody of misogynistic geek culture.

The dreams are how the characters cope with a horrific reality-and somehow involve dragons/robonazis and robo-samurai. And they wear the same clothes, when they can easily imagine more battle-ready garb.
Is that what it's supposed to be?

Well, he gets a point for trying, but that's it.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #208
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
And it's all incredibly boring- Because none of it means anything.
boring??? never. i like the action very much. you know the girls doing the body twisting and all the aerobatic choreography... more exciting than spidey did!!! it's just too video playgame like. that's all.

i think the start off is so freaking brilliant. it draws your intention and interest right away. and the pacing and scenes editing are very smooth and creatively welldone.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #209
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Just watched Watchmen again last night. Haven't seen it in maybe 2 years. But when I saw it theaters in 2009 I saw maybe 6 or 7 times, so I know it almost intimately. It's tattooed on my brain.

Anyway, after seeing it again... I want THIS Zack Snyder for Batman vs. Superman. I don't feel that we got that for Man of Steel. The trailers and TV spots promised "From the Director of Watchmen and 300", and I don't think we were really given that. That's not a bad thing, but I was expecting the director of Watchmen and 300.

Instead, it felt like we got "Michael Bay making a Christopher Nolan movie," which still resulted in an AWESOME movie (don't get me wrong), but I want the Zack Snyder I fell in love with. And I realized that the key element to making that happen is cinematographer Larry Fong, which we're getting, and that is a HUGE relief.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #210
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

^^^ I don't quite understand. If you think MOS is an awesome movie, why would you want it to be a completely different kind of movie?

If I love a film, I love it because of what is is, not inspite of what it is.

I have heard many fans say that they think MOS is a completely awesome film but still wish it were a completely different film. Is it because in the heart of their hearts, they don't truly think it is an awesome film?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #211
MoeIsBetter
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
^^^ I don't quite understand. If you think MOS is an awesome movie, why would you want it to be a completely different kind of movie?

I have heard many fans say that they think MOS is a completely awesome film but still wish it were a completely different film. Is it because in the heart of their hearts, they don't truly think it is an awesome film?
I tend to agree with him. I think MOS is an AWESOME movie, one of my favorite comic book movies to date, but I'd much prefer the "Watchmen" type of movie to the MOS type of movie. Watchmen just kind of had that "jumping right out of the comic book" feeling that I am hoping for in a BvS type of movie.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #212
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post

Well, first of all, no movie is perfect. No matter what, there isn't a single perfect film ever made. I'll say that The Dark Trilogy is my favorite trilogy of all-time (and I think it's the best trilogy ever), but it's not without its issues.

To say something is "flawless" is, I think, a lie.

It all starts with the script, then it continues with casting, then it continues with set building, shooting, directing, editing, sound, visual effects, musical score. The odds of all those components coming together perfectly are IMPOSSIBLE. Something is going to take a backseat.

Now, the reason we love our Spielbergs, our Nolans, our Scorseses, is because they come the CLOSEST to bringing every element together perfectly. They still don't, but they come damn close. The whole project is essentially a never-ending endeavor that you're saying HAS to end, so these guys are TRYING to bring all the components to an end. A movie is only something in theory, where on paper or in the plans, the blueprint, there's a PERFECT movie hiding in there somewhere, and you're essentially TRYING to make a representation of that blueprint. It's just a representation. It's not the actual thing. There is no "actual thing".

As fans (especially with this genre), there's nothing wrong with always wanting the movie to be perfect. We have extremely high expectations, and we don't think they're ever met. EVER. We bicker about every. single. thing. on this website. A site where fans are supposed to be fans, you'd think we thought that every comic book movie ever made sucks. We hate ALL of them. But that's our whole problem here. They CAN'T be perfect. Now, the ones that came the CLOSEST, the ones I consider the greatest comic book movies ever made, are:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Man of Steel
3. The Avengers
4. Watchmen
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Spider-Man 2
7. Batman Begins
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. X2: X-Men United
10. V For Vendetta

Last edited by Rocketman; 01-26-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #213
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Well, first of all, no movie is perfect. No matter what, there isn't a single perfect film ever made. I'll say that The Dark Trilogy is my favorite trilogy of all-time (and I think it's the best trilogy ever), but it's not without its issues.

To say something is "flawless" is, I think, a lie.

It all starts with the script, then it continues with casting, then it continues with set building, shooting, directing, editing, sound, visual effects, musical score. The odds of all those components coming together perfectly are IMPOSSIBLE. Something is going to take a backseat.

Now, the reason we love our Spielbergs, our Nolans, our Scorseses, is because they come the CLOSEST to bringing every element together perfectly. They still don't, but they come damn close. The whole project is essentially a never-ending endeavor that you're saying HAS to end, so these guys are TRYING to bring all the components to an end. A movie is only something in theory, where on paper or in the plans, the blueprint, there's a PERFECT movie hiding in there somewhere, and you're essentially TRYING to make a representation of that blueprint. It's just a representation. It's not the actual thing. There is no "actual thing".

As fans (especially with this genre), there's nothing wrong with always wanting the movie to be perfect. We have extremely high expectations, and we don't think they're ever met. EVER. We bicker about every. single. thing. on this website. A site where fans are supposed to be fans, you'd think we thought that every comic book movie ever made sucks. We hate ALL of them. But that's our whole problem here. They CAN'T be perfect. Now, the ones that came the CLOSEST, the ones I consider the greatest comic book movies ever made, are:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Man of Steel
3. The Avengers
4. Watchmen
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Spider-Man 2
7. Batman Begins
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. X2: X-Men United
10. V For Vendetta
Well I do think some movies are perfect or perfectly flawless. Meaning they can't be improved upon. I feel this way about some old and modern classics. Like say 8 1/2. That movie is actually perfectly made and could not be better. Or say Amour from two years ago, again not a hair out of place in the movie and about as close to perfection as you can get.

I think it is difficult to make tightly controlled perfect films in the block-buster format. But watch some of the auteur films, and they exactly achieve what is on page without any compromise. They truly and singularly bring alive the director's vision exactly as it was.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #214
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Zack Snyder interview about this film in French language popcorn magazine that I have ran through Google translate (Only BvS portions)

Your next rope as a director will be the highly anticipated Batman vs. Superman. What prompted you to bring these two superheroes on the screen?
It was a nice challenge. We must admit that show Superman and Batman face to face goes beyond mythology: they are the two greatest superheroes in the world. What is fun with the concept of Batman Vs. Superman is that we will be able to have fun with their relationship. They fought before becoming friends, or friends and they are doomed to clash ... Obviously, there will be a physical confrontation between the two.

Is it an adaptation of lhe Dark Knight Retums?
No, but the comic book will influence the history of Batman Vs. Superman, on which the writer David S. Goyer and myself will work.

The announcement of Ben Ajjleck in the role of Batman has not really appealed to fans ... What led you to make this choice?
Ben brings an interesting counterweight to the performance of Henry in the role of Superman. He has the experience necessary to provide a picture of an older and wiser than Clark Kent man who bears the scars of a seasoned vigilante while retaining the charm that Bruce Wayne when deploying this world. I look forward to working with him.

To return to the reinterpretation of the Superman legend, how does one approach a character who is so deeply rooted in the American identity?
I deeply venerated all this mythology. I think in our collective unconscious, Superman occupies a rather unique place. I really wanted to do justice to the legend, and also the experience is to witness the birth of Superman. It was fun to see Jor-El put his son in a basket to let metaphorically sail along the
River. Henry Cavill was also part of the process of reinvention of Superman.

Have you considered Superman as being different from other superheroes, and you designed your movie as distinct from those who had previously been devoted to character?
From the outset, our approach for Man of Steel was acting as if no other Superman movie had never been made. Superman is the first superhero. That's why I wanted to do this film. I am interested in Superman, because he is the father of all others. This is an amazing ambassador for all superheroes. We wanted to show that, with him, had pushed the popular culture to seize this mythology. Man of Steel is not that screening this aspect, the film also tells a great adventure. For me, as a fan of comics, Superman is somehow the Rosetta Stone of all superheroes. I wanted to make the film treated him with respect.

You described the legend of Superman as "an immigrant story." Can you elaborate?
One of the two creators of the character, Joe Shuster, was himself an immigrant. I found it fascinating that Superman, this child came from a distant planet, is found in Kansas, which is the place of the United States as central as one can imagine. For me, Clark Kent represents a dichotomy: it is an absolute intruder, a stranger in the proper sense, but tries to integrate and perform in Kansas. It shows us a picture of ourselves. At many levels, the questions Clark Kent are American questions. No matter where we come from, we all have this strong desire to be accepted. When young, Clark strives above all to resemble the other. The fact that he is different from them and always will be, is very difficult to accept him. And it is adopted, which is always hard for a kid. I have four adopted children, I know what it is. It feels different, but is also very attached to the land where he grew up. His sense of morality comes directly from its roots in the Midwest, although, of course, his journey did not begin there. But it has a sense of universal justice that makes an exemplary figure. However, it also has its dark side, which allows us to have an exciting drama.

What was your reaction when Christopher Nolan and DC Comics have come to offer you realize Man of Steel?
My first reaction was to say no. But when I realized they were serious, I thought: "Wow. Okay. Uh, are you sure? "(Laughter.) Superman is a character who is not only an icon, I'm also a big fan of him. So I had an overwhelming responsibility ... I took it seriously, as each project on which I worked. I was nervous about making this film. This is Superman. If one pulls it off, it's a character that transcends everything. The Superman symbol is the second most recognized on Earth, behind the Cross Christian symbol! The error is not allowed (laughs)!

Did you fear comparisons from fans superhero movies, with the Dark Knight trilogy Christopher Nolan?
Of course! I like films that Chris has done, but this is a project quite different: the SF side, the way we filmed, the character ... All at once. Strangely, this is a much more optimistic movie, simply because it is Superman. That Chris brought to the beginning of the project, it is this ability to be able to take all the mythology seriously. Not to apologize to present these concepts, but also push us to expose them to the public as they are, without any second degree.

When you find yourself at the head of a project that costs around $ 200 million is what you tell yourself that failure could mean the end of your career?
(Laughs) You can not think about that when working on a project on the scale of Man of Steel, you become crazy. I compare filmmaking to an architect. It cannait budget, we know what is at stake, but we are fully focused on giving life to his vision, through the actors and technicians working on the project on the shelf, or on-site if we want to push the analogy. We do not know how things will end once the job is started. It will also have to make many compromises because of the constraints of time and cost, and there will always be cases where the original vision will be impaired, certain aspects need to be sacrificed so that the film can be, that the building could be completed.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #215
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Oh, I really...really hope Snyder brings back some of his more trademark styles when filming the sequel..and please Snyder, for the love of god, bring back some vibrant colors.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #216
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

"It feels different, but is also very attached to the land where he grew up. His sense of morality comes directly from its roots in the Midwest, although, of course, his journey did not begin there"

The more I read, the more I feel like a lot of the characterization problems comes from Goyer trying to distance himself from past incarnations, while Snyder's pacing issues and ultimate prioritization of action over emotionally meaningful scenes kind of aggravate that to a point.

But I think his ability to capture emotion in images is above average, and I feel like with the right type of influence, he can create strong work.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #217
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

And that's why it's pretty much a unanimous decision from fans that Snyder is only as great as the script that he's working off of.

Hopefully, with Ben and Chris Terrio attached to this project, it'll help them sort out plot issues from the script...and I pray that if Geoff was brought on as a consultant as well, that he doesn't give any input that involves using any New 52 Superman data.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #218
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I've said it before and I'll say it again. SUCKER PUNCH was Zack trying to unleash his inner Quentin Tarantino. The problem was that his inner Tarantino turned out to actually be Frank Miller.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #219
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

That doesn't always happen though.

TASM2 is looking more colorful than TASM1.

It doesn't look like Cap 2 will be using of the shots with exaggerated scale like in the first.

Thor 2 wasn't as saturated,...shiny or....tilty...as the first film.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #220
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I'd think the colors would look just as they did in the last film to stay consistent...like most film series do. I'd like to see them hold back from so much handheld, though.
Did you see MOS in theatres with digital projection? See, I love the look of the film and I kept seeing people complain about shaky cam. I never noticed it. But that's because I had seen the film 3 times at a The COURT ST. UA in downtown Brooklyn and in their digital theatre. I took in a standard format showing and yes, I FINALLY noticed what some had said. Do you notice shaky cam with any home viewings, if you own the film on Blu, of course?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 AM   #221
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I've watched the movie countless of times in all kinds of theatres and tv screens and the handheld camera was never a negative for me. I had no idea that it was a complaint for some people until I came to the forums.

Maybe Paul Greengrass movies have desensitized me.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #222
Brother Jack
Confirmed Casual

The shaky cam didn't especially bother me but the digital zooms on the action definitely did.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #223
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes. And it still bothered me. Even tough I'm used to handheld and work with it a lot (and like it), it seemed somewhat excessive in this film for some reason. Rented it on BluRay, still felt the same.
See, it did not even register at all for me, and now that I own and watch it on Blu the film is in my memory as crystal clear. Different strokes and all I guess.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #224
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

There's one really blatant camera jerk in the Jonathan/Clark "maybe" scene that completely takes me out of the movie every time. Like, it doesn't feel like an artistic choice, it just feels like the camera operator coughed or something.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 AM   #225
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Were they different cinematographers?
Yep.

BvS will also have a different cinematographer.

Closed Thread