The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #276
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Default Re: Is Wonder Woman gonna fly?

Everyone here that is "flying supporters" argument is: "She should fly because she should fly.... she's a woman so she should fly.... you can't take that away from a woman... so she should fly."

Can we get an... I don't know actual argument for it? If we could that would be great. Thanks.

:o
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #277
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
The best and most recent and widely known versions of her in multi media are flightless. I have nothing against the ability I think some angel wing shoes could be a good way to incorporate it down the line but I don't know if it should be a natural ability because all the Greek myth demi-Gods never had this and it would feel forced IMO.
Technically the most recent Wonder Woman appearance was Flashpoint and she was flying in that.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

and she's flying in the upcoming film Justice League:War

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

However of we are only using power levels of character in their most popular versions then the Hulk should not be anywhere as strong as he was in Avengers since he was never that strong or jump that high in the TV show.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #278
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I'm confused as to why the power of flight is even being discussed (and has its own thread).

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #279
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

This is Snyder/WB chance to go all out on WW...You guys actually think they will hold anything back? That includes flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
You finally made me laugh you old rapscallion you.
Black BOND Crew#
Samuel Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #280
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Yeah! Hulk smashes, Superman snaps, and Wonder Woman flies!

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 12-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #281
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Everyone here that is "flying supporters" argument is: "She should fly because she should fly.... she's a woman so she should fly.... you can't take that away from a woman... so she should fly."

Can we get an... I don't know actual argument for it? If we could that would be great. Thanks.
It's like anything else. Properly executed, it can create more story potential.

Also, flying is badass.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #282
roach
I am the night

Quote:

Ok I'll shoot. I mentioned this before.
1) It's her power set. Yes she couldn't fly in the TV show but then again she could barely push a car in the show...and she couldn't fly in the animated movie...however she could fly in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. The two big WB/DC cartoons. Her most recent appearance in Flashpoint has her flying and the trailer for Justice League: War has her flying.
2) This is Wonder Woman's big coming out party. The first time she will be featured in a movie (technically second since she will be in the Lego Movie)...that being said when you want to build hype for a character you want to showcase that character to the best of their abilities. You have that character as powerful and badass as they are capable of being. An Example is the Hulk. The Hulk became the cool Avenger in Avengers. He had the coolest moments and really had a lot of hype built up for him. They showed him nearly as strong as he is in the comics (in the comics he held up a mountain...which is why i say nearly). Now by having WW fly in this movie it add a cool factor to her that most movie goers didn't know about "Oh Snap Wonder Woman can fly...that's cool."

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #283
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
This is Snyder/WB chance to go all out on WW...You guys actually think they will hold anything back? That includes flight.
this plus 1000

Old 12-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #284
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Technically the most recent Wonder Woman appearance was Flashpoint and she was flying in that.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

and she's flying in the upcoming film Justice League:War

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

However of we are only using power levels of character in their most popular versions then the Hulk should not be anywhere as strong as he was in Avengers since he was never that strong or jump that high in the TV show.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I'm talking about her singularly as a character. No one checks for WW specifically in a JL movie IMO. In her own animated film and live action television show, that became a pop culture phenomenon might I add, they are more apt to associate her powers to what is most known to them.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #285
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I'm confused as to why the power of flight is even being discussed (and has its own thread).
Because the discussion of Wondy flying or not flying is a thread destroyer. Nothing else will get discussed but that, so might as well have a thread where that is the only thing being discussed.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #286
The Guard
Side-Kick

It's in her powerset, people generally know her as being able to fly, it puts her on the same level as Superman and the more powerful and powered heroes, it creates more action and effects potential without inherently sacrificing anything.

Perhaps the best reason for her to fly is that it represents her heritage well. The whole "gifts of the gods" things works better with flight.

It's really kind of a no-brainer.

I'm curious what the truly valid argument and compelling AGAINST her being able to fly is.

The only one I've seen is "She's too much like Superman". But even that doesn't really hold that much water. When she has heat vision and freeze breath and tosses giant cellophone S's, let's discuss that.

What puts Diana on the same level as the greats is her powers. What sets Diana apart is her character, her potential for growth and her unique backstory.

And if I'm right
Old 12-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #287
roach
I am the night

Quote:
I'm talking about her singularly as a character. No one checks for WW specifically in a JL movie IMO. In her own animated film and live action television show, that became a pop culture phenomenon might I add, they are more apt to associate her powers to what is most known to them.
Yeah if you count only her solo appearances she hasn't flown. However if you count all her appearances...live action and animated...does she fly more often than not?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #288
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
What if WW learns to fly here on earth?
What is she learns to fly, or simples just flies, in another movie? Why must she absolutely fly in her debut? Why does everyone feel that is a necessity to her introduction...as from it "nerfs" her if you don't?

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #289
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
Ok I'll shoot. I mentioned this before.
1) It's her power set. Yes she couldn't fly in the TV show but then again she could barely push a car in the show...and she couldn't fly in the animated movie...however she could fly in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. The two big WB/DC cartoons. Her most recent appearance in Flashpoint has her flying and the trailer for Justice League: War has her flying.
2) This is Wonder Woman's big coming out party. The first time she will be featured in a movie (technically second since she will be in the Lego Movie)...that being said when you want to build hype for a character you want to showcase that character to the best of their abilities. You have that character as powerful and badass as they are capable of being. An Example is the Hulk. The Hulk became the cool Avenger in Avengers. He had the coolest moments and really had a lot of hype built up for him. They showed him nearly as strong as he is in the comics (in the comics he held up a mountain...which is why i say nearly). Now by having WW fly in this movie it add a cool factor to her that most movie goers didn't know about "Oh Snap Wonder Woman can fly...that's cool."
1) She actually had many impressive power displays in the show. I believe she threw a plane, tanks, and stopped missiles coming at her and threw them back at her foe.
2) Why does fight automatically mean "more powerful" and "more interesting?" Much like Hulk I think that WW could be looked at as the most bad ass and strongest one in the group and maybe even leap that resembles flight.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #290
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
What is she learns to fly, or simples just flies, in another movie? Why must she absolutely fly in her debut? Why does everyone feel that is a necessity to her introduction...as from it "nerfs" her if you don't?
Let's say that this movie will determine if we get a solo WW film. Do we showcase her as bad ass and powerful as she is or not show all her powers? Wouldn't the wise course of action be to show her off...show off all her powers.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #291
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:

I know my niece will think its bad*** to have a female superhero flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
You finally made me laugh you old rapscallion you.
Black BOND Crew#
Samuel Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #292
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't think counting on her getting a solo film is a particularly good strategy, when it comes to deciding what to show about a character's basic powerset, given the history of that.

And if I'm right
Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #293
roach
I am the night

Quote:
1) She actually had many impressive power displays in the show. I believe she threw a plane, tanks, and stopped missiles coming at her and threw them back at her foe.
are we talking the animated series or the Lynda Carter show? I was talking about the Lynda Carter show.
2) Why does fight automatically mean "more powerful" and "more interesting?" Much like Hulk I think that WW could be looked at as the most bad ass and strongest one in the group and maybe even leap that resembles flight.
I wasn't saying that she should have the same power set as the Hulk...just that she should be shown off...the the full extant of her abilities...this includes flight.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #294
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

The Lynda Carter show had her doing those power displays. I can show you a link if you like?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #295
roach
I am the night

Quote:
The Lynda Carter show had her doing those power displays. I can show you a link if you like?
sure. I don't recall them making her that powerful...i could be wrong.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #296
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
sure. I don't recall them making her that powerful...i could be wrong.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Starts at 2:20

Old 12-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #297
roach
I am the night

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Starts at 2:20
and that was very much 70's superhero power set...you know the same abilities that Steve Austin, The Hulk and Captain America had.

It's no where near her comic strength.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #298
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Because the discussion of Wondy flying or not flying is a thread destroyer. Nothing else will get discussed but that, so might as well have a thread where that is the only thing being discussed.
I just don't see why it's even brought up. It's one of her powers. I've never seen anyone say they wanted a Superman who couldn't fly, but jumped great distances.

"

Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #299
roach
I am the night

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 12-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #300
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I just don't see why it's even brought up. It's one of her powers. I've never seen anyone say they wanted a Superman who couldn't fly, but jumped great distances.
We've already explained this. Her power of flight has been so inconsistent throughout her character history that it is why we are discussing if it should be included or not and to what degree because even that has been up for debate.