The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #301
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Is Wonder Woman gonna fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Yeah! Hulk smashes, Superman snaps, and Wonder Woman flies!
Not really, you switched Superman and WW's key abilities there
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
It's like anything else. Properly executed, it can create more story potential.

Also, flying is badass.
To tell the truth i think it only limits story potential, and cramps WW's amazonian fighting style

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #302
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
and that was very much 70's superhero power set...you know the same abilities that Steve Austin, The Hulk and Captain America had.

It's no where near her comic strength.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
She did more than the David Kelly WW would have done in those clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #303
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
She did more than the David Kelly WW would have done in those clips.
I never saws that pilot so I can't comment on it.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #304
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post

To tell the truth i think it only limits story potential, and cramps WW's amazonian fighting style
It only cramps her fighting style if they allow it to.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #305
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

That video only proves his case honestly. I think ground attacks make more sense for an Amazon.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #306
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Wonder Woman would be in the same powerset as Supes whether or not she can fly.

Faora didnt fly in MOS, and was still able to hand Supes his backside.

As someone else mentioned, Hulk did just fine in The Avengers.

IMO, the Invisible Jet is a much more iconic and unique form of transport.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #307
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
We've already explained this. Her power of flight has been so inconsistent throughout her character history that it is why we are discussing if it should be included or not and to what degree because even that has been up for debate.
Seems consistent enough to me. Some choose to have her fly, others don't. And the examples that have been posted show flight has been depicted more often than not in recent media.

Quote:
Well, with the way things are at the moment seems those are their key abilities.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #308
roach
I am the night

Quote:
That video only proves his case honestly. I think ground attacks make more sense for an Amazon.
It only proves his case if that's the only way you see things. The video showed a WW who can fly and fight fiercely.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #309
X Knight
Saber Class

never really got the whole invisible jet thing.......

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #310
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
never really got the whole invisible jet thing.......
It's simply a jet that's invisible that helps it from being detected.

In terms of having people inside be seen (and defeating the purpose of invisibility), that's on the artists who drawn it that way. Why? I have no clue.

In terms of why someone who can fly would own the jet, well there are multiple uses for a jet such as traveling with other people, carry stuff, etc. And she simply could just feel like having one much like any of the Flashes (and Superman) could own a car.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 12-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #311
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Seems consistent enough to me. Some choose to have her fly, others don't. And the examples that have been posted show flight has been depicted more often than not in recent media.
How when in her own animated film she did not have it and in the failed pilot she did not have it all the solo ones seem to have her without it and the most known ones the first Justice League animated show and WW live action show (her only other live action adaptation until the failed pilot) all show her without it. It is not as cut and dry as you make it appear.

All the older generation is going to be like "what the hell is she doing flying around like that... back in my day"

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #312
roach
I am the night

Quote:
It's simply a jet that's invisible that helps it from being detected.

In terms of having people inside be seen (and defeating the purpose of invisibility), that's on the artists who drawn it that way. Why? I have no clue.

In terms of why someone who can fly would own the jet, well there are multiple uses for a jet such as traveling with other people, carry stuff, etc. And she simply could just feel like having one much like any of the Flashes (and Superman) could own a car.
My only issue with the jet is...if she comes from a amazon island that as depicted in the comics then where would they get an invisible jet from?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #313
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Stolen stealth jet like in the animated film?

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #314
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's in her powerset
Sometimes.

Quote:
people generally know her as being able to fly
I can't imagine too many people will be upset if she doesn't fly.

Quote:
it puts her on the same level as Superman and the more powerful and powered heroes
They don't need to be on the same level. Her warrior instincts and combat training gives her an advantage over a lot of them, anyway.

Quote:
it creates more action and effects potential without inherently sacrificing anything.
If her action scenes are disappointing specifically because she can't fly, then the creative team probably isn't too good at doing action in the first place.

I don't recall anyone complaining about the Battle of Smallville, and that featured two Kryptonians who couldn't fly.

Quote:
Perhaps the best reason for her to fly is that it represents her heritage well. The whole "gifts of the gods" things works better with flight.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Quote:
I'm curious what the truly valid argument and compelling AGAINST her being able to fly is.
It just isn't an essential power.

Quote:
Let's say that this movie will determine if we get a solo WW film. Do we showcase her as bad ass and powerful as she is or not show all her powers? Wouldn't the wise course of action be to show her off...show off all her powers.
I don't understand how she is significantly less badass when she can't fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Wonder Woman would be in the same powerset as Supes whether or not she can fly.

Faora didnt fly in MOS, and was still able to hand Supes his backside.

As someone else mentioned, Hulk did just fine in The Avengers.
Thank you.

The Boy Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #315
X Knight
Saber Class

oh, so wait......it was an actual jet with stealth technology?

not some magic construct or part of her powerset?

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #316
roach
I am the night

Quote:
How when in her own animated film she did not have it and in the failed pilot she did not have it all the solo ones seem to have her without it and the most known ones the first Justice League animated show and WW live action show (her only other live action adaptation until the failed pilot) all show her without it. It is not as cut and dry as you make it appear.

All the older generation is going to be like "what the hell is she doing flying around like that... back in my day"
Let's be honest...the GA probably hasn't seen the animated film...it's probably the same number that saw JL, JLU and few even saw the failed pilot.

However that older generation didn't have an issue with a Captain America without a transparent shield and super strength...on par with TV Wonder Woman, an Incredible Hulk that merely pushes cars on their side and a Spider-man that shoots rope from his large web spinners.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #317
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Sometimes.

Sometimes in the past?
She's flying in everything animated in recent time.

Even that one video that people were using to show that WW can be done on film(before WB announced WW would be in this film) the video that was all over youtube, Yahoo and was even made it on the Hollywood Reporter...showed a WW that can fly.

Last edited by roach; 12-29-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #318
Masone
Side-Kick

Just because she doesn't fly in something doesn't mean she doesn't have that power.

Masone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #319
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sometimes in the past?
She's flying in everything animated in recent time.
If she doesn't always fly, she doesn't always fly. She flew in Flashpoint, but didn't fly in her solo film. Therefore, she "sometimes" flies.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #320
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:

Yeah, she's been shown not to have flight. But, it's not like the idea of her flying is something new that some would be confused to see her doing it. For whatever reason, it warrants a whole thread about it. But, whatever.

Quote:
My only issue with the jet is...if she comes from a amazon island that as depicted in the comics then where would they get an invisible jet from?
Who knows? Does it really need to explained? Heck, does it even need to look like your standard military jet?

"

Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #321
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
It only proves his case if that's the only way you see things. The video showed a WW who can fly and fight fiercely.
I'm sorry but that video's the type of thing i was talking about, her fights have become more boring beacause they have basically become like superman's, instead of Amazonian warriors fighting, something that needs the limitation of the ground and the surrounding that are found there since they're battles are also tactical, not just random sword fighting in the sky.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #322
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Personally, I don't think Wonder Woman needs to be as strong as Superman. I think she should be a much better fighter, though, and should be able to take him down, even though he could best her in a contest of pure strength.

And no, it has nothing to do with her being a woman. I feel the same way about (for example) Aquaman.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #323
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
If she doesn't always fly, she doesn't always fly. She flew in Flashpoint, but didn't fly in her solo film. Therefore, she "sometimes" flies.
and if those were her only appearances you'd be right...however

Wonder Woman came out in 2009....she did not fly
Crisis on Two Earths came out in 2010....she flew
Superman/Batman Apocalypse came out in 2010...she flew
Justice League: Doom came out in 2012....she flew
Flashpoint Paradox came out in 2013....she flew
Justice League: War will come out next year...the trailers show her flying.

Since 2009 every animated movie has shown her flying...seems like the trend is she flies more than she does not.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #324
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let's be honest...the GA probably hasn't seen the animated film...it's probably the same number that saw JL, JLU and few even saw the failed pilot.

However that older generation didn't have an issue with a Captain America without a transparent shield and super strength...on par with TV Wonder Woman, an Incredible Hulk that merely pushes cars on their side and a Spider-man that shoots rope from his large web spinners.
The general audiance has probably never seen one of the direct to DVD animations true. You were the one who started bringing them up though so...

That may be true about the other series but they are not the most known version of the character that became a feminist icon like the WW show became. It wasn't just a show based on a comic it was a movement for a lot of her fans. How she was represented in that show is much more important characterwise than even Hulk and especially Spidey. Superman and Batman have had so many tv incarnations that it is hard to keep track but WW has a quintessential look most non-comic fans connect would be WW and Lynda Carter. Ask anyone on the street about WW an 95% will start spinning or talk about the show.

The Lynda Carter show is what made WW known and still to this day carries clout. TIH did that to a lesser degree for Hulk but WW is much more prolific.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #325
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Let's say that this movie will determine if we get a solo WW film. Do we showcase her as bad ass and powerful as she is or not show all her powers? Wouldn't the wise course of action be to show her off...show off all her powers.
Why not showcase the one thing that truly does make her distinct? The flying is really superfluous to that. I also believe it is a detriment to distinguishing her from the only other person who can fly unassisted in this universe.

Quote:
I'm curious what the truly valid argument and compelling AGAINST her being able to fly is.

The only one I've seen is "She's too much like Superman". But even that doesn't really hold that much water. When she has heat vision and freeze breath and tosses giant cellophone S's, let's discuss that.
As I have said, distinguishing her from Superman storywise and powerset wise is important. My point is she needs to be distinguished from him because she can also do it. That's why I think highlighting her incredible fighting prowess is a must.

Quote:
I just don't see why it's even brought up. It's one of her powers. I've never seen anyone say they wanted a Superman who couldn't fly, but jumped great distances.
I would reckon many people in the general public have NO idea Wondy can fly. She has only been shown to fly in JL/JLU, original animated movies and in the comics. People are acting like Wondy's invisible jet isn't popular, but it's probably more popular then her flying because of the TV show, which to date is Wondy's MOST popular incarnation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
IMO, the Invisible Jet is a much more iconic and unique form of transport.
Agreed.

Quote:
Good point.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote