The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #326
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Wonder Woman gonna fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
and if those were her only appearances you'd be right...however

Wonder Woman came out in 2009....she did not fly
Crisis on Two Earths came out in 2010....she flew
Superman/Batman Apocalypse came out in 2010...she flew
Justice League: Doom came out in 2012....she flew
Flashpoint Paradox came out in 2013....she flew
Justice League: War will come out next year...the trailers show her flying.

Since 2009 every animated movie has shown her flying...seems like the trend is she flies more than she does not.
Yet none of her live action counterparts have ever done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #327
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Why not showcase the one thing that truly does make her distinct? The flying is really superfluous to that. I also believe it is a detriment to distinguishing her from the only other person who can fly unassisted in this universe.

Or showcase that she is an amazonian warrior that can fly. It distinguishes her from Superman...in much the same way Thor is distinguished from Iron Man even though they both can fly.

As I have said, distinguishing her from Superman storywise and powerset wise is important. My point is she needs to be distinguished from him because she can also do it. That's why I think highlighting her incredible fighting prowess is a must.

To the detriment of her other abilities?

I would reckon many people in the general public have NO idea Wondy can fly. She has only been shown to fly in JL/JLU, original animated movies and in the comics. People are acting like Wondy's invisible jet isn't popular, but it's probably more popular then her flying because of the TV show, which to date is Wondy's MOST popular incarnation.
No one is saying the jet isn't popular...in most cases she has a jet and the ability to fly. What better way to separate New WW from Old WW by having her do something the old one couldn't.
What separates the JL from other teams is who that characters are not what they can do.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #328
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Ah, we're still on the flying, it would appear.

I'm still in the no fly crowd.

But I'm all for her jumping around and doing things like the MOS Kryptonians pre-flight.

To be honest, when I think about an iconic image of WW, I don't see flying, I see her on the ground with a shield and sword or something, preparing for battle.

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #329
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Yet none of her live action counterparts have ever done so.
So we have to be bound by other incarnations???
Did Nolan bind his Batman to what Adam West or Tim Burton did?
Did Whedon bind his Hulk to only what the Hulk could do on the TV show?

Yes she didn't fly in her other incarnations...that doesn't mean she can't fly in this one.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #330
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Ah, we're still on the flying, it would appear.
it is the flying thread.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #331
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
it is the flying thread.
don't get sassy!

Old 12-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #332
roach
I am the night

Quote:
don't get sassy!
it's all good

Old 12-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #333
MrsKent26
Whatever.

lol, I wonder if the film-makers had the exact same discussion as this thread is having.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #334
roach
I am the night

Quote:
lol, I wonder if the film-makers had the exact same discussion as this thread is having.
For the longest time I thought WW would be easy...then with the discussion here, and the costume thread and others...I now see why it took them so long.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #335
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I'm going to argue that flying is more a part of the Wonder Woman zeitgeist for the coveted young adult demographic than non-flight, and that alone justifies giving her that power in my mind. The last truly successful no flight representation was the TV show, and the other representations since then have either had flight or fallen to obscurity. That Wonder Woman DVD movie wasn't good enough to leave much of an impression, and the less said about the TV pilot, the better.

I also trust Snyder and other creative directors to actually succeed in making WW flight considerably unique compared to Superman's, and I favor the way flight does equalize the playing field between the Amazon and the Kryptonian. Yes, flight would make both characters fit the definition of the Flying Brick, but it's better than making the most famous female superhero a redundant Brick who can be easily outmanuvered by her male counterpart. And it also establishes a kind of equality between the harder Sci-Fi nature of Superman's powers with Wnder Woman's magical capabilities.

And the Invisible Jet, which must be present if she can't fly, cannot show any signs of cheesiness if it appears. So in my opinion, that means it has to be practical, so no stupid ability to see the pilot, probably a way for the ship to decloak, and an understandable origin. Maybe it's a LexJet or Batplane. But not some confusing Amazoinian

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #336
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
For the longest time I thought WW would be easy...then with the discussion here, and the costume thread and others...I now see why it took them so long.
I always thought she would be a challenge, mainly because some of the stuff that goes on in comics just doesn't work on screen.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #337
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yes she didn't fly in her other incarnations...that doesn't mean she can't fly in this one.
Also, in addition to what you said, It doesn't mean she doesn't have that ability.

Just because she doesn't fly in something, doesn't mean she CAN'T fly. It's like saying because Superman didn't use super speed in MOS, he can't zip around like the Flash. He most certainly can, they just didn't show him using that ability.

Masone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #338
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
I'm going to argue that flying is more a part of the Wonder Woman zeitgeist for the coveted young adult demographic than non-flight, and that alone justifies giving her that power in my mind. The last truly successful no flight representation was the TV show, and the other representations since then have either had flight or fallen to obscurity. That Wonder Woman DVD movie wasn't good enough to leave much of an impression, and the less said about the TV pilot, the better.

I also trust Snyder and other creative directors to actually succeed in making WW flight considerably unique compared to Superman's, and I favor the way flight does equalize the playing field between the Amazon and the Kryptonian. Yes, flight would make both characters fit the definition of the Flying Brick, but it's better than making the most famous female superhero a redundant Brick who can be easily outmanuvered by her male counterpart. And it also establishes a kind of equality between the harder Sci-Fi nature of Superman's powers with Wnder Woman's magical capabilities.

And the Invisible Jet, which must be present if she can't fly, cannot show any signs of cheesiness if it appears. So in my opinion, that means it has to be practical, so no stupid ability to see the pilot, probably a way for the ship to decloak, and an understandable origin. Maybe it's a LexJet or Batplane. But not some confusing Amazoinian
very much on point.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #339
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post

I would reckon many people in the general public have NO idea Wondy can fly. She has only been shown to fly in JL/JLU, original animated movies and in the comics. People are acting like Wondy's invisible jet isn't popular, but it's probably more popular then her flying because of the TV show, which to date is Wondy's MOST popular incarnation.
Sure many people wouldn't know she can fly. Many will know nothing about her, period. For those with no idea of her flying abilities, at most it'll illicit a reaction such as "I didn't know she can fly?" and they'll move on.

And I think some may be overstating how popular her past incarnations are. Same thing happened with the Donner films and that defense was used for SR before the film came out. Sometimes she has the jet and sometimes not. But, I don't think popularity needs to be a justification for it.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #340
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Sure many people wouldn't know she can fly. Many will know nothing about her, period. For those with no idea of her flying abilities, at most it'll illicit a reaction such as "I didn't know she can fly?" and they'll move on.

And I think some may be overstating how popular her past incarnations are. Same thing happened with the Donner films and that defense was used for SR before the film came out. Sometimes she has the jet and sometimes not. But, I don't think popularity needs to be a justification for it.
I say go with her flying and add the jet later.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #341
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:

You're the one who brought up the animated ones.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #342
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
I say go with her flying and add the jet later.
That's fine. Pretty much the same thing happened with JL/JLU.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #343
roach
I am the night

Quote:
You're the one who brought up the animated ones.
Ok we'll throw out all the animated stuff.

Should 2014 Wonder Woman only be influenced by 1970's Wonder Woman?

Last edited by roach; 12-29-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #344
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ok we'll throw out all the animated stuff.

Should 2013 Wonder Woman only be influenced by 1970's Wonder Woman?
Let me be clear what my point was. It can be deduced (imo) that in live action perhaps WB/DC want WW to be more ground based fighting and do not want her to fly. It is just my thought I'm not saying its true or false.

Also I think that for this particular character the Lynda Carter adaptation is so ingrained into WW iconic character history it's hard to not give it its due credit. That is why everyone is saying she should spin and have the invisible jet. That being said of course they can get other influences (The New 52 for instance).

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #345
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Let me be clear what my point was. It can be deduced (imo) that in live action perhaps WB/DC want WW to be more ground based fighting and do not want her to fly. It is just my thought I'm not saying its true or false.

Also I think that for this particular character the Lynda Carter adaptation is so ingrained into WW iconic character history it's hard to not give it its due credit. That is why everyone is saying she should spin and have the invisible jet. That being said of course they can get other influences (The New 52 for instance).
But you also have to look at who is making this movie. They had to deal with a character that also had an adaptation so ingrained into our memories...the Christopher Reeve/Donner Superman. So while paying homage to that version of Superman...in a few scenes...they also decided to create their own version that didn't rely on what came before. The same can be said for this Batman...the suit is not what we have seen before and this Batman will be his own entity separate from what anyone else has done...

...this leads me to believe that the WW we will get will be her own character...independent of what was done before.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #346
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
But you also have to look at who is making this movie. They had to deal with a character that also had an adaptation so ingrained into our memories...the Christopher Reeve/Donner Superman. So while paying homage to that version of Superman...in a few scenes...they also decided to create their own version that didn't rely on what came before. The same can be said for this Batman...the suit is not what we have seen before and this Batman will be his own entity separate from what anyone else has done...

...this leads me to believe that the WW we will get will be her own character...independent of what was done before.
I agree with everything you stated, however, that still does not by itself incline that she will fly.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #347
roach
I am the night

Quote:
I agree with everything you stated, however, that still does not by itself incline that she will fly.
it doesn't...but this is Zack Snyder...who will want to go bigger in this movie. I think he'll give us a good Superman/WW fight like the script to the Justice League movie had.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #348
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I kind of feel like arguing the JLU version of WW gives the old TV show a run for its money thanks to one big thing: the Carter show was a long time ago, whereas the JLU show was more recent and probably the last major critically acclaimed long running superhero show in our generation. If DCAU's Batman is still considered a major contributor to Batman's popular image, even with the five major motion pictures since its creation, then there's a lot of power to be found in the DCAU Wonder Woman as well.

I also do think making her the magical equivalent of Superman would make a big statement in define her place in the Trinity. It makes Batman the mortal walking between two Gods who can both crush him, and it makes her clearly Clark's peer, instead of a third wheel in the World's Finest. If anyone has a shot at being a third wheel to the Trinity and still be extremely relevant, it's Batman. People can accept Batman in all his different interpretations, but both Supes and WW have controversies with old school versus new school.

Now do note that I am most definitely a biased opinion. I was born in 1990, so I'm really frustrated at a lot of Silver Age status quos supplanting the ones I grew up with. I prefer Modern Age Superman, with a red head military brat Lois Lane who knows who Superman is and a more down to Earth and sincere civilian identity, much more than the Slver Age throwback that I generally find kind of lame. I also prefer the Modern Wonder Woman to the Silver Age version. I just want to make that clear.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #349
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
it doesn't...but this is Zack Snyder...who will want to go bigger in this movie. I think he'll give us a good Superman/WW fight like the script to the Justice League movie had.
Speaking of Sups vs. Wondy fight something like this would be cool:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Although I think it could be handled just as well without her flying (most likely better).

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #350
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
I kind of feel like arguing the JLU version of WW gives the old TV show a run for its money thanks to one big thing: the Carter show was a long time ago, whereas the JLU show was more recent and probably the last major critically acclaimed long running superhero show in our generation. If DCAU's Batman is still considered a major contributor to Batman's popular image, even with the five major motion pictures since its creation, then there's a lot of power to be found in the DCAU Wonder Woman as well.

I also do think making her the magical equivalent of Superman would make a big statement in define her place in the Trinity. It makes Batman the mortal walking between two Gods who can both crush him, and it makes her clearly Clark's peer, instead of a third wheel in the World's Finest. If anyone has a shot at being a third wheel to the Trinity and still be extremely relevant, it's Batman. People can accept Batman in all his different interpretations, but both Supes and WW have controversies with old school versus new school.

Now do note that I am most definitely a biased opinion. I was born in 1990, so I'm really frustrated at a lot of Silver Age status quos supplanting the ones I grew up with. I prefer Modern Age Superman, with a red head military brat Lois Lane who knows who Superman is and a more down to Earth and sincere civilian identity, much more than the Slver Age throwback that I generally find kind of lame. I also prefer the Modern Wonder Woman to the Silver Age version. I just want to make that clear.
I think they will do as everyone has done with superhero incarnations...they will pick and choose what they want from her appearances in media.