The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #26
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: The New 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
so how many years of patience and money do i give them before i deserve a good superman story?
Personally, there's rarelly a good superman story, for the past 30 years it has mostly been about fighting the next monster of the month, to tell the truth i miss the Golden Age era superman who fought against injustice and problems in society (that still hold up very well to modern days) and faced some interesting imaginative scenarios like in the 40s cartoons.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #27
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

ya golden age superman ftw tbqh

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
xpyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Batman is the core title. Batman & Robin and Detective Comics are essentially satelite titles that use the world that Scott Snyder is creating, partake in a couple of Snyder led crossovers, but are essentially their own stories that don't need to have other books read to follow them.

Batman: The Dark Knight is ending in March.

Originally, the Batwriters intended to keep Batman's pre-New 52 continuity in tact with a condensed timeline. However, they realized that this didn't work hence why we're having the Zero Year storyline which is making Batman go under a semi-hard reboot the way the rest of DC's characters have. The only pre-New 52 stories that are in tact now for Batman's continuity is the Grant Morrison stuff and Snyder's run on Detective Comics.

New 52 Batman has had 3 Robins, Dick, Jason, and Damian. Tim didn't use the Robin name and went under Red Robin right from the get go because he didn't want to sully Jason's memory.
This was a giant help. Thank you very much.

xpyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanG View Post
Also, did they fix Hawkman yet or is his history still a cluster****?
They cancelled his book and slapped him on the JLA team. Now he's just the resident cray cray man. LOL

Koo Koo for CoaCoa Puffs.............

So nothing is cleared up about him. It's like they just let that ship sail. Post Flashpoint, he was at least being fleshed out. oh well

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #30
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Hawkman isn't cra cra. They made him Thanagarian.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #31
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Yeah he has a warriors mind and hasn't been portrayed as crazy to me at all.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #32
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Personally, there's rarelly a good superman story, for the past 30 years it has mostly been about fighting the next monster of the month, to tell the truth i miss the Golden Age era superman who fought against injustice and problems in society (that still hold up very well to modern days) and faced some interesting imaginative scenarios like in the 40s cartoons.
There's actually been lots of really great superman stories in the past 30 years. And there were some good ideas in the golden age, but the fighting against social injustice became just as redundant as him fighting a monster of the month (though, I disagree with yer monster a month assessment). Obviously, no matter the character, a variety of villain, stories, and ideas is best.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #33
Lord
All Mighty

I know there have been some great stories with superman, but there have also been a lot of uninspired ones, thing with the Golden Age is that the writers actually had to be creative enough to give Superman oponents that couldn't fight him phisically. Doomsday, one of his most popular stories for example was nothing but Superman fighting a sudden nameless monster, and most stories with the character in the 90s proceeded to resolve around similar things.

There are surelly great stories that aren't just this, like All Star Superman and What's so funny about truth, justice and the american way. But the vast majority of writers don't seem to try doing much, they take this very powerful character as an excuse for some fights and his invulnerability as the reason for why he allways wins, instead of using those as assets to tell a more inspired tale.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 12-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
I know there have been some great stories with superman, but there have also been a lot of uninspired ones, thing with the Golden Age is that the writers actually had to be creative enough to give Superman oponents that couldn't fight him phisically. Doomsday, one of his most popular stories for example was nothing but Superman fighting a sudden nameless monster, and most stories with the character in the 90s proceeded to resolve around similar things.

There are surelly great stories that aren't just this, like All Star Superman and What's so funny about truth, justice and the american way. But the vast majority of writers don't seem to try doing much, they take this very powerful character as an excuse for some fights and his invulnerability as the reason for why he allways wins, instead of using those as assets to tell a more inspired tale.
Have you read many golden age superman stories? I'm currently in the midst of a personal goal to read every issue of action comics in order since it's inception in 1938. I'm currently around issue 100. The vast majority of these stories come down to Superman vs. guys with guns. It gets very redundant. Most of the creativity seen in these stories is "in what wonky way can superman beat these guys with guns". Don't get me wrong, i dig these stories. It's great seeing the development of an American icon, there are great ideas, the stories were in a lot of ways very relevant to their time, and I can easily see how kids went nuts for these books. But these were literally children's books. They were simple, cheap, pulpy, and exploitative. And I think those are great qualities for a story. But the golden age doesn't have many great examples of strong villain characters or challenges for superman to overcome.

Fact of the matter is, every age of superman, be it golden, silver, bronze, modern or whatever, has great qualities which lend themselves to defining the character. But they all also have flaws which prevent any one age to be more definitive than the other.

But I still feel yer selling short superman from the past few decades. The stories you mentioned are great, but there are also so many others. I agree I don't want to see superman fighting "this months super strong monster thing". There does need to be more heart and creativity than that. But the redundancy in that is no more redundant than a lot of things that happened in the golden age, or any other age of superman.

But my problem with the new 52 superman is how much I feel he's been stripped of his iconography in an attempt to make him "hip" and "modern" in a cheap attempt to attract non-comic book readers and non-superman fans.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #35
Lord
All Mighty

Issue 100? Then you really know more than i do, i think i went until around issue 30, am in the process of starting again but i do remember them dealing with some interesting concepts and not every issue having a villain exactly, but with Superman dealing with modern day issues (Modern in the 30s and 40s i mean, though many issues are still present today and very modern).

I actually really enjoyed Grant Morrison's Action Comics 1, 2 and 3 i think, i was really digging his idea of having Superman as this folklore like figure.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 12-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #36
xpyred

Alrighty, so...since Hippie Hunter explained The New 52 very well, i still have some questions:

Would i need to read Batman Year One of is Year Zero changing that?

Barbara Gordon references being shot by Joker, I would assume I would have to read that story correct?

what other stories may i have to read. Just to clarify, growing up i was only a Spider-Man fan. I only knew about Batman based on the Adam West show, the animated series, and the games. So i know nothing about Batman prior to these posts.

xpyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #37
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hawkman isn't cra cra. They made him Thanagarian.
crazy yes.....he's nuts.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DTrB2xVViW...our+Tongue.jpg

https://www.inter-comics.com/wp-cont...kman-vibe1.jpg

Even Wolverine (with his "warrior's mind) LOL, wouldnt do something as strange as this from a meeting.......come on.
They are portraying him as a bit unbalanced.

Last edited by Shazam; 12-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #38
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
I actually really enjoyed Grant Morrison's Action Comics 1, 2 and 3 i think, i was really digging his idea of having Superman as this folklore like figure.
This. I just love Grant's take on the character so much.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
blknrdcllctv
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
Alrighty, so...since Hippie Hunter explained The New 52 very well, i still have some questions:

Would i need to read Batman Year One of is Year Zero changing that?

Barbara Gordon references being shot by Joker, I would assume I would have to read that story correct?

what other stories may i have to read. Just to clarify, growing up i was only a Spider-Man fan. I only knew about Batman based on the Adam West show, the animated series, and the games. So i know nothing about Batman prior to these posts.
I don't think it's 100% necessary to read the story (re: Barb shot by Joker), but I would definitely encourage you to do so. That story is The Killing Joke, a graphic novel released in the late 80s. I remember being in awe when I first read it as a kid. I highly recommend.

If you're interested in learning more about Batman independent of the new 52, I personally would recommend doing two things: 1) picking up a few graphic novels or trades and 2) watching Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited.

For Batman in print, in addition to The Killing Joke, there are a ton of great stories like Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Son of Demon, Hush, Court of Owls, No Man's Land, etc. There are so many other good stories I'm sure you'll find out there (Knightfall and most recently The Return of the Joker).

I hope this helps. I'm still uncertain of what I'll be reading in the new 52. My interest has waned a bit...I've gone from Batman, Wonder Woman, and occasionally Aquaman, to just now the Justice League. I'm about to start The Throne of Atlantis story line.

blknrdcllctv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #40
Czar Colossus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
But my problem with the new 52 superman is how much I feel he's been stripped of his iconography in an attempt to make him "hip" and "modern" in a cheap attempt to attract non-comic book readers and non-superman fans.
Very well said; sadly that is it in a nutshell!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #41
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:

Originally, the Batwriters intended to keep Batman's pre-New 52 continuity in tact with a condensed timeline. However, they realized that this didn't work hence why we're having the Zero Year storyline which is making Batman go under a semi-hard reboot the way the rest of DC's characters have. The only pre-New 52 stories that are in tact now for Batman's continuity is the Morrison stuff and Snyder's run on Detective Comics.

New 52 Batman has had 3 Robins, Dick, Jason, and Damian. Tim didn't use the Robin name and went under Red Robin right from the get go because he didn't want to sully Jason's memory.
Well also Killing Joke is still intact. As seen in the Batgirl #0 issue showing Joker shooting Babs. And Knightfall is still intact no? I remember in those earlier TDK issues him telling Batman "I've already broken you once" or something similar to that. But we know stuff like The Long Halloween isn't intact, cause we have a new origin for two face now in the Batman & Robin title.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #42
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
The reboot is only 2 years old, compare it to post-crisis, sure, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman's reboot was going well, though i'm sure that at the time some long time fans didn't like Superman: The Man of Steel or Perez taking out the invisible plane and giving WW the power of flight, but the rest of the DCU was a complete mess, just look at the Justice League, Aquaman went into constant creative limbo as well as characters nobody cared about getting their books.

The thing is that the last reboot has had more than 25 years to develop, while this one is only 2 years old, it still has less missfires than the last reboot and in least there seems to be a plan.
To be honest the Post Crisis continuity didn't really come into it's own until the early to mid nineties, when Superman died, Batman fought Bane and Morrison's JLA run began.

Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #43
batboy99
BTVS

Has Grant Morrisons Wonder Woman been released yet?

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #44
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

It can be argued that quite a bit of Alan Moore's run on Saga of the Swamp Thing is still in continuity, but not all of it. Moore's Swamp thing actually made an appearance recently and there is a flashback to Swamp thing number 50 in Justice League Dark. (Zatana's father's death).

Side note, if it hasn't already been discussed, February's Steam Punk variant covers are awful.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=50119

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #45
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
It can be argued that quite a bit of Alan Moore's run on Saga of the Swamp Thing is still in continuity, but not all of it. Moore's Swamp thing actually made an appearance recently and there is a flashback to Swamp thing number 50 in Justice League Dark. (Zatana's father's death).
I'll have to check out that issue of JLD. Sounds cool.

Moore's run in present continuity is iffy. Arcane is totally different, and with Woodrue being introduced only recently, and as essentially a new character, I figure that's out of the question, too. Also, Constantine and Swamp Thing don't seem to have any previous knowledge of one another.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #46
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
I'll have to check out that issue of JLD. Sounds cool.

Moore's run in present continuity is iffy. Arcane is totally different, and with Woodrue being introduced only recently, and as essentially a new character, I figure that's out of the question, too. Also, Constantine and Swamp Thing don't seem to have any previous knowledge of one another.
Moore's Swamp Thing actually shows up in full "My Blue Heaven" mode in Swamp Thing annual 2.

Basically the writers have just made use of the things they want when it is pertinent, changing things when they story they are telling demands it. I see no real problem with this.

The way they play off of the concept of Abby's "Patchwork Man" parentage with the secret of her mother instead was terrifying.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #47
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Wally West Returning in Flash Annual #3

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #48
Charlie Boy
Modern Messiah

Awwwwe Yeah!

Ou La La, Très Bien, Magnifique

@DomEsclovon
Charlie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #49
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

I was just thinking about finally jumping back into The Flash. #30 and Annual #3 look like the perfect time to do it.

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
JTStarkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #50
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Aquaman & The Others by Jurgens and Medina.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote