Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #101
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - Part 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
Blue and Yellow suit was not Vaughn's idea but Singer before he left First class, it seems people have select memories
Then why didn't Singer use them when he directed the first 2 X-Men films? The leather costumes didn't detract from my enjoyment of the films. I just thought they were awful.

EDIT: I didn't know it was Singer's idea for the FC costumes, so kudos to him.:up

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class

Last edited by TeeKay; 12-19-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #102
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i believe singer said he wanted to do an old school style X-men film based on the older 60s comics, he had a hand in the designing for FC, aswell as casting and story

Old 12-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #103
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

The black leather suits were awesome!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #104
JEM
Side-Kick

As I already said before, the x men first came out in 1999, when comicbook movies were considered like joke.
First Class is released in 2011 where superheroes were already blockbusters.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #105
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

although i believe Singer said he would only use the costumes if he felt it made sense, so its not a case of lets just give them a blue costume and head piece because its in the comics its a case of does it make sense they would wear this? and i think directors can be quite picky about stuff like that, not all but some

Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #106
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
The leather costumes didn't detract from my enjoyment of the films. I just thought they were awful.
Same here. Loved Singer's films, but hated the costumes he used.

Glad they retired those finally.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #107
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Damn that quite would be perfect if only he said '63 instead of '53!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #108
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Then why didn't Singer use them when he directed the first 2 X-Men films? Even if it was his idea, I'm glad he was listening to the criticism of the leather costumes if that was the case. The leather costumes didn't detract from my enjoyment of the films. I just thought they were awful.
Because he was dealing with the post Batman & Robin situation where comic book films were being frowned upon.

Blade was In production before Batman & Robin was released.It was very much downplayed that Blade was based on comic book.

X-Men was first film based on comic book to be greenlighted post B&R.Some today forget what a big deal that was and assume X-Men was guranteed success.It wasn't

X-Men took inspiration from the matrix for it's outfits.Some also forget after first matrix many wanted comic book films to emulate it.

X-men had a 75 million dollor budget when most big budget films of 2000 like Mission Impossible II and the patriot had 100 Million budgets.

It's easy to bash first X-Men by saying it didn't have the ingredions of the Avengers.The avengers had a 220 Million budget vs 75 million budget of first X-Men.

Singer's attempt to make the world of mutants fit a semirealistic film world helped set stage for Dark Knight trilogy,Jon Favrau's work on first 2 Iron Man films,and even Zach Snyder's man of steel,remember all the talk of reimaging Superman for more realistic world.

The dark and serious tone of X-Men was much diferent than a lot of 1990's comic book films which had returned to campy.Batman returns and Blade being exceptions.

when he returned to series In 2009 to devolp First Class things has changed. Comic book films in particular those with colorful costumes were not viewed as they had been when he was trying to get first X-men made.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #109
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I still like Singer but those costumes were just lazy and generic imo. At least Vaughn actually put in some effort with the FC costumes, they were great.
Will someone please explain to me how those costumes are actually generic?

Where had we seen that approach before?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #110
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Damn that quite would be perfect if only he said '63 instead of '53!
Well that was likely a mistake on his part.It came out as 53 when he meant to say 63.Some directors make mistakes in their statements.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #111
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Well that was likely a mistake on his part.It came out as 53 when he meant to say 63.Some directors make mistakes in their statements.
Obviously.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #112
Loki882
Side-Kick

See, whenever people bash the Singer costumes, it gets on my nerves because most of the people who complain just blatantly ignore the context. They refuse to acknowledge both the time period when the first two movies came out and the state of comic book movies during that time, which wasn't good. They keep judging movies that came out in 2000 and 2003 by today's standards, which isn't fair. We didn't have Raimi's Spider Man trilogy, or the Marvel films, or the Hellboy films to show us that the audience will except that out there stuff, so judging that time by 2013 standards is simply not fair.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #113
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i believe singer said he wanted to do an old school style X-men film based on the older 60s comics, he had a hand in the designing for FC, aswell as casting and story
So he was partially responsible for ****ing up the continuity as well? That's hilarious.

Quote:
Because he was dealing with the post Batman & Robin situation where comic book films were being frowned upon.

Blade was In production before Batman & Robin was released.It was very much downplayed that Blade was based on comic book.

X-Men was first film based on comic book to be greenlighted post B&R.Some today forget what a big deal that was and assume X-Men was guranteed success.It wasn't

X-Men took inspiration from the matrix for it's outfits.Some also forget after first matrix many wanted comic book films to emulate it.

X-men had a 75 million dollor budget when most big budget films of 2000 like Mission Impossible II and the patriot had 100 Million budgets.

It's easy to bash first X-Men by saying it didn't have the ingredions of the Avengers.The avengers had a 220 Million budget vs 75 million budget of first X-Men.

Singer's attempt to make the world of mutants fit a semirealistic film world helped set stage for Dark Knight trilogy,Jon Favrau's work on first 2 Iron Man films,and even Zach Snyder's man of steel,remember all the talk of reimaging Superman for more realistic world.

The dark and serious tone of X-Men was much diferent than a lot of 1990's comic book films which had returned to campy.Batman returns and Blade being exceptions.

when he returned to series In 2009 to devolp First Class things has changed. Comic book films in particular those with colorful costumes were not viewed as they had been when he was trying to get first X-men made.
Nobody is bashing the first X-men. What the heck are you talking about? I just said I disliked the costumes because they were awful imo. Nobody here is bashing the X-Men films. I even said my disdain towards the costumes didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the films. The costumes didn't make or break the films for me.

And just because Singer wanted the X-men films to fit the realistic world doesn't mean they couldn't have colourful costumes. It can work and First Class proved that. The leather costumes were just lazy and an easy way out imo.

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 12-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #114
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
So he was partially responsible for ****ing up the continuity as well? That's hilarious.

Nobody is bashing the first X-men. What the heck are you talking about? I just said I disliked the costumes because they were awful imo. Nobody here is bashing the X-Men films. I even said my disdain towards the costumes didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the films. The costumes didn't make or break the films for me.

And just because Singer wanted the X-men films to fit the realistic world doesn't mean they couldn't have colourful costumes. It can work and First Class proved that. The leather costumes were just lazy and an easy way out imo.
well i have seen some critize first X-Men for not being like avengers or some more recent comic book films.SInce you say that wasn't intent then I apolagze for the assumination.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #115
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:

Again, they DIDN'T KNOW that they would work back then because the previous "bright and colorful" superhero movies DIDN'T work. Again, judging a movie made in 2000 by today's standards isn't fair because it was a different situation back then. It hurts your argument when you just ignore that fact. It wasn't lazy, it was pragmatic and it made sense AT THE TIME!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #116
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Will someone please explain to me how those costumes are actually generic?

Where had we seen that approach before?
It wasn't really generic so much as safe. The generic bit is attributed to the "all black" design which was already used to death in action movies (The Matrix opened just a year before).

Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #117
Manic X
Side-Kick

I still love the leather costumes.
If anything, bright and colourful is 'safe' now.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #118
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Again, they DIDN'T KNOW that they would work back then because the previous "bright and colorful" superhero movies DIDN'T work. Again, judging a movie made in 2000 by today's standards isn't fair because it was a different situation back then. It hurts your argument when you just ignore that fact. It wasn't lazy, it was pragmatic and it made sense AT THE TIME!
Fair enough. I still detest the costumes, even when I watched the films back then in theatres. The first Spiderman film came out 2 years later, funny how well that worked out.

Quote:
well i have seen some critize first X-Men for not being like avengers or some more recent comic book films.SInce you say that wasn't intent then I apolagze for the assumination.
It's cool. Look man, I didn't like the costumes. It's a fair criticism and I don't think I'm the only one here who dislikes the costumes. Yeah I got your point, it was at a time where CBMs were non-existent because of Batman & Robin, but I just couldn't get myself to like them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic X View Post
I still love the leather costumes.
If anything, bright and colourful is 'safe' now.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #119
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I don't have an issue with the black costumes at all apart from maybe... They are abit bland

Old 12-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #120
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I don't have an issue with the black costumes at all apart from maybe... They are abit bland

Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #121
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

I've always liked the black suits. I thought they looked good. It made the X-Men movies appear more mature and serious. I'm kind of happy to see them back in some form.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #122
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful!

I love that Singer's already revealed that he's got the crew back from X2!

Speaking of writing, I wanted to share some fun trivia from First Class that y'all may or may not have heard:

- Despite claims that Inception drove the crew to nix the Charles vs. Emma "Astral Battle," it was ultimately due to the film's budget limitations.

- At some point the film included a scene where the newly-blue Beast apologetically explains that the classically-inspired blue and yellow suits were inspired (in the film world) by Raven's natural blue form after realizing he had hurt her feelings the night before.

- The reason why Havok is in jail is never explained in the film, though it's easily assumed it had something to do with his power. And it did. He attempted to intervene when his foster sister was being tormented by a group of bullies and spontaneously manifested his power, turning the group into a pile of ash. Judging by his incredible guilt and lack of control seen throughout the movie, it's easy to assume he accidentally murdered his foster sister, too.

'Hope you enjoyed these interesting tidbits!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #123
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post

Speaking of writing, I wanted to share some fun trivia from First Class that y'all may or may not have heard:

- Despite claims that Inception drove the crew to nix the Charles vs. Emma "Astral Battle," it was ultimately due to the film's budget limitations.

- At some point the film included a scene where the newly-blue Beast apologetically explains that the classically-inspired blue and yellow suits were inspired (in the film world) by Raven's natural blue form after realizing he had hurt her feelings the night before.

- The reason why Havok is in jail is never explained in the film, though it's easily assumed it had something to do with his power. And it did. He attempted to intervene when his foster sister was being tormented by a group of bullies and spontaneously manifested his power, turning the group into a pile of ash. Judging by his incredible guilt and lack of control seen throughout the movie, it's easy to assume he accidentally murdered his foster sister, too.

I didn't know about the dropped origin of the suits. I'm glad they did away with that one.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #124
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post

Thank you.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #125
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i'd like to have seen what they would have done with the Charles vs. Emma "Astral Battle,"