The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man Sequels

Old 12-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Default Dailey Bugle TV Spin-Off

Just posted this in another thread, but since it's an idea I've never seen before I figured it would be worth creating it's own thread. Lots of discussion and ideas can be fleshed out on this idea. Here is my original post:

Just came up with a new idea, one that I think could be amazing...

Everyone probably knows about the Agents of Shield TV series that has become a big hit. This seems to be doing very well on it's own, all while expanding the Avengers universe.

So, how about a TV series for Amazing Spiderman, that could stand on it's own as well, while expanding the Amazing Spiderman Universe?

How about this...

A TV show all about...

The Daily Bugle!

This could be huge!

First, the main characters...

#1. JJJ. This character would set the tone, which needs to be serious. It can't be like the over the top, almost comical version that was used in the older Spiderman films. They would also be able to delve into how JJJ is so obsessed with proving that Spiderman is a menace.

#2. Robbie Robertson. The voice of reason to try to bring JJJ back down to earth. Robbie could be used to have an episode or two about Tombstone (a villain likely never to be in an Amazing Spiderman film.

#3. Betty Brant. Not a main character, but someone who can be included and used to flesh out certain stories. At some point it could be explored how her brother was killed when Spiderman and Doc Ock were fighting. We would not need to see the fight, other than on the tv maybe, but the aftermath and how people are affected, would be refreshing.

#4. Ned Leeds. It's a paper, and afterall it will need reporters. The fact that Ned and Betty were in a relationsip (and ultimately married) could be explored. Maybe Ned would just be mentioned since in the comics he's frequently overseas.

#5. Eddie Brock. One of the Reporters. Not sure if he would be a main character, or just someone noted during conversations. Either way, it could get the GA familiar with him.

#6. Reporter. The reporter (and there are many to choose from) would be the main protagonist. He would be the one that the story normally focuses on. Some name options: Connor Austen, Ron Barney, Noel Beckford, Ken Clarke, Peter David, Dan Davis, Nick Dillman, Justin Gray, David Hine, etc.

#7. Photographer. The reporters right hand guy/gal (and again, plenty to choose from). Some name options: Cole Cooper, Edwin Edwards, Mike Mayhew, Daniel Morton, Gus Qualen, Tony Reeves, Bill Webb, Sara Williams, etc.

#8. There could be a second female reporter, one that possibly uses her fiminine charms to get close to the story, if you get my drift. Maybe she goes undercover sometimes.

So, what we would have is a newspaper themed tv series where the main protagonists, through their investigations, are uncovering nefarious situations in the city, all while being hounded by their unfair boss. The crimes being uncovered could lead to some known characters, such as the Kingpin (I know he was used in Daredevil, but he's got to be available to Sony), the Prowler (see, I found a way to use him), Moon Knight, Tombstone, etc. There can even be situations where the reporters find a criminal webbed and waiting, if you get the picture.

Peter Parker could be referenced, but would not need to be seen. Would be funny to have him walking out the door (seen from behind) while someone is talking about him, etc. Same with Spiderman. He wouldn't need to be in the show, but would be seen on the front page, in pictures dropped off by Parker, etc. Would love to hear some of the debates between JJJ and Robbie about Spiderman, that could be interrupted by the main characters...

There is just so much that could be done!

Anyway, what are your thoughts on my idea?

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: Dailey Bugle TV Spin-Off

Agents of SHIELD isn't a big hit, and I doubt a Daily Bugle TV series would be either. If they are going to make any TV spin-offs, then there are much better ideas that can be used IMO.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I don't hate it. But it does seem like Spider-man lite. There's only so much you can do without Spider-man.

But then I rather dislike Agents of Shield. TV and movie universes should be separate. The quality just does not translate.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

A Daily Bugle show could end up being like Mad Men set in a comic-book universe. I love this idea.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Picard Sisko

I mean it could work, but I don't think it would happen.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 12-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

No thanks. Comics, games and Movies are enough.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Picard Sisko

Well a good animated series would be great. Unless they can somehow find the budget to make a good Spider-Man live action series.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Super Jim
Side-Kick

I guess I'm just trying to come up with something, similar to what they are doing with Agents of Shield, where they have a different (less costly) avenue to flesh out some of the less fantastical components of the universe. There are very few super heros in Agents, with (so far) only a small cameo of Fury (who wouldn't be classified as a "super hero"), so it's focusing more on real people, just like this show would.

Agent Coulson is the glue that holds Agents together, just like how JJJ would.

As far as Agents, the critics have been mostly favorable. The premier show had very high ratings as well (which is what I meant when I said "big hit"). I mean, for me, it's one of the better shows on tv right now (though that's not saying much). At a minimum most are saying it's a show with potential, which is what Marvel's: The Daily Bugle would be.

This would be as much Spiderman Lite as Agents is Avengers Lite. But it would expand the universe while giving a good place to delve into some characters, such as Eddie Brock, JJJ, Tombstone, Betty Brant, Moon Knight, King Pin and the Prowler. The stories that could be done, and the suspense, is limitless. Yes, we wouldn't have Spiderman swinging between buildings and taking down the bad guy, or battling super powered thugs wearing Rhino Mech suits, but instead we would be getting into the investigative side of things, leading to the same villain, but from the professional side of things.

Imagine the protagonist uncovering something about the Kingpin and JJJ not allowing it to see print due to concerns of the paper be sued (Kingpin using lawyers)? Or imagine one of the reporters having their family threatened unless they prevent that story from seeing print. Just so much that could be done, but again, the character of JJJ would be so important and would need to be upcompromising, gritty, beligerant, yet real!

You do write that there would be better TV options. I'm interested in what might be better? Sure, an animated series might be great, but animated usually means fantastical, meaning super heros abound (animated is mainly forkids). A TV, Primetime drama can be done with human beings that do not have special powers, getting into their personalities and emotions (just like Agents is doing).

From my vantage, all other Spiderman related characters or teams would not be usable for the basis of a TV drame and most would not be usuable for movies.

I mean, a Prowler TV series? Guess it could work, but it would be too much like Arrow. Still a possible way to use Prowler, but it's just one character.

A Moon Knight TV drama would be a bit too out there, and Silver Sable and her crew are too fantastical, so would be better in a movie.

The only other thing I could see would be a show about the police force set in the Marvel Spiderman universe, but with Captain Stacey dead I think the "Coulson" character is gone. But in many ways it would be the same thing as my Marvel's Daily Bugle TV drama idea, where you have characters investigating the crimanl side of the city, often leading to known crime bosses and characters. I think between the two ideas the Daily Bugle TV drama makes much more sense.

Hey Webb, when you use my idea I want a cut!

Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Picard Sisko

Agents of SHIELD is dropping in ratings, and many people dislike it. Doing something similar for Spider-Man would be very risky IMO.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

In fairness this premise already sounds better than... that show.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Picard Sisko

I do agree with you on that, and if it really happened, I would certainly give it a shot.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #12
Morbius
Living Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
A Daily Bugle show could end up being like Mad Men set in a comic-book universe. I love this idea.
I mean, that's how it might be pitched to executives, but Mad Men is on a whole other level - something like this simply could not compete with it for universal appeal. Far too niche.

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
Picard Sisko

I just don't think this will ever happen.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Picard Sisko

Maybe give it another 20 years when they can afford to use quality CGI on TV and make a good Spider-Man live-action series.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Daily Bugle sounds terribly boring as a TV show. Especially if limited to the Spidey Universe. If I want a fake news show, I'll watch the Newsroom. If Daily Bugle can't compete with that and Mad Men and the like, it shouldn't happen. Part of why Agents of SHIELD has trouble is that people want to watch a superhero-related show for superheroes, and AoS is not quite that, so it has trouble.

For a TV show in the Spider-Man universe, I think Spider-Woman or Arana (which could also be called Spider-Woman) would be a much better call. Getting into their personal lives and go with them as they face incredible challenges both social and physical. High school drama, evil organizations, devestating big bads. That kinda stuff.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ But a TV series about The Bugle would have everything you're asking for...

It would have the high school drama with an uncompromising Editor in Chief, the politics of running a story, deadlines, story stealing, JJ changing the story to make Spidey look like a menace, etc.

It would have the evil organizations as the stories and investigation would ultimately lead to various evil organizations or villains. Fisk Inductries, Oscorp, The Daily Globe (competitor), Empire State University, Ravencroft, The Raft, etc. All of which would greatly expand the Spidey-Universe.

It would also have plenty of devastating big bads, such as Tombstone (perfect villainous character for this series - and enforcer for Fisk who has a backstory with Robbie), Hammerhead (with the Ultimate look), Big Man and The Enforcers, Shocker (if not used in the movies), Silvermane (if not used in the movies), Don Rigoletto, The Kingpin, Jackal, etc.

Now this is where I think I can get you to buy into this idea...

Since Spiderman is one of the only super heroes to wear a mask he is one of the only super heroes who could be seen (possibly heard) without having to have a certain actor playing him. What I mean is that during the story the main protagonists could witness a battle between Spidey and one of these villainous types. I'm not saying that the reporter is going to sit down with Spidey and ask him all these deep probing questions, just that Spidey could be in the show, from time to time, which might help the fans get their fix of seeing "superheroes in their superhero-related show". And then, as discussed above, other "hero-types" could make it in as well, including the Prowler, Moon Knight, etc.

Also, just like AOS is doing, the show could play off of the aftermath of the movies. So if Electro just blew up Time Square a show could be focused on the aftermath.

Now here is something else to think about...

This would allow many stories that would never make it into the movies to be told, such as:

- The Death of Jean DeWolff where a police Captain is killed by the Sin-Eater.

- The Origin of the Jackal.

- King Pinned.

- The Gangland story with Silvermane.

- The Night of the Prowler - as mentioned above.

And so many more. Many of these could be done without Spiderman's direct involvement, but as previously mentioned, more in the inner story prior to the battles.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Um... how can you have high school drama with a Chief Editor? Is JJ in high school in this version?

A show that focuses on JJ, Robbie and Brant as central characters can't have them having physical confrontations with Tombstone, Jackal or Shocker. I mean, you're caling the Daily Globe an "evil organization."

A show about a newspaper is about people talking, and not much more. There might be some drama, but there's no good way to put a lot of physicality into the show. If people are looking forward to seeing the hero types, then the smart thing would be to make the show *about* the hero types and let the Daily Bugle be the supporting cast, and not the other way around. There's a reason the Daily Bugle is part of Spider-Man's supporting cast, and not the other way around. They're not built to get into the middle of Jackal's origin (High Evolutionary and Wungadore Mountain??) or get into the middle of the Gangland conflict. They'd basically be watching from the sidelines in their own stories.

Let the Daily Bugle be supporting cast. Don't try to make a News Show about the action when you can put the audience actually into the action by focusing on a hero.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Picard Sisko

Sounds like it would turn out like the 1970s Spider-Man show where Peter Parker/Spider-Man is basically an investigative reporter who solves crimes with Daily Bugle staff and the Police Dept.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ I think you're taking this a bit too literal.

I was defining "High School Drama" as drama that people create in order to have a bit of action in their lives. Yes, technically, for it to be "high school" drama it would need to take place in High School. You do know that at the beginning of TASM2 Peter and Gwen are going to graduate, right? Which means, no more High School. Guess they can't have any more drama!

Yes I listed numerous organizations under the section "evil organizations". Again, I think you're being a bit too tecnical. Is the Daily Globe an evil corporation? I don't know, maybe? Maybe not. Does it matter? The point is that there are plenty of these "evil organizations" in the Spidey-universe for a TV show like this to utilize.

Also, just because you may have interactions with Tombstone, Jackal or Shocker doesn't mean that the main characters (the reporters and the cameraman) are going to be going up against them. They may witness something done by these types. They may follow leads that leads them to these guys. They might be threatened by these guys. So no, I never said anything about "physical confrontations" with the villains.

A show like this isn't just about "people talking". The "physicality" would be from scenes that lead to the story, meaning we could be shown Tombstone breaking into Oscorp, taking out the guards, in order to steal some new technology. That doesn't mean that JJJ or Betty will be there saying "Halt where you are Tombstone, or I will have to thrash you!". Of course not.

Also the Jackal's origin wouldn't need to be a story, but the character could be. After Gwen dies in TASM2, the character of Miles Warren could be explored, leading to a story about the Jackal. But I disagree with you about the Gangland concept. A story like that is exactly the kind of thing that JJ would send his reporters out to scoop.

Everything you're saying goes against what Agents of Shield is already doing. If they wanted a show about super heroes, like you're saying, then we would be watching Ironman or Thor, and not a group of Shield Agents. Same with this concept. It's a way to expand the universe by doing something that is more behind the scenes that in the fight. So yes, we wouldn't be seeing Spider-Man thrash Electro in the TV series, but we would see the aftermath and all of the things that a movie doesn't have time to get into.

In many ways it seems like you're just trying to go out of your way to be a nay-sayer, and hey, that's ok. That's your opinion and everyone has one...

Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

You said that a Daily Bugle TV show would give me everything I was looking for, including the kind of action you see on Agents of SHIELD. I've shown this to be untrue. It was not "out of my way" to do so, I simply responded to your points, pointing out the inconsistencies.

Now, can you imagine Agents of SHIELD as a TV show where there were no combatants, no secret agent gadgets, no martial arts skills, no infiltration/rescue ops. Just people with drama, who interviewed witnesses and looked at all the aftermath of the superhero stuff that everyone loves, but never really did much themselves. And this is the show you'd be getting instead of Daredevil/Moon Knight/Luke Cage - you know, the people that will make the ratings jump for their guest episodes because that's who people want to see. That's basically what you're asking for, Agents of SHIELD (which already gets criticism for being superhero-less) without the action. I'll pass, and seeing how most people are passing on Agents of SHIELD, I'd imagine most would pass on your idea as well. The only other show about News people I know of is called Newsroom, and it's awesome, but it only pulls in a couple million viewers. That's less than Arrow, and Newsroom is, imho, a better show. People want the story, not the story of other people who want the story.

So we've established that your show does not give me what I'm looking for, and offers less than Agents of SHIELD, or Newsroom which doesn't offer what most people are looking for.

You know what's really crazy to me? My idea actually does offer everything you're looking for! A Jessica Drew show where she works for the Daily Bugle allows the writers to include every single thing you've said verbatim and also give people a weekly sueprhero show (so far Arrow is the only one since Smallville) with all the action and personal relationship shenanigans people like about those shows. Or you can have Prowler and have him dating Betty Brant. It's just too easy to include the Daily Bugle as supporting cast (imagine that) instead of trying to put them in the middle of battles between supervillains and police/superheroes that they don't have much affect on.

So if you had a choice, which would you choose? The option that makes us both happy, or the option that makes only you happy.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 12-27-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Hey, I want everyone to be happy!

Old 12-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Lol, me too man.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #23
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

A Daily Bugle movie sounds boring.

Cast Joe Manganiello for Kraven the Hunter!
GoldGoblin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #24
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ GoldGoblin, you didn't read the thread fully...

It's not a movie concept. I agree with you, a movie about the Daily Bugle would be as boring (if not more so) than a movie about Shield.

This is a TV show concept that would (similarly to what Agents of Shield has done) expand the Amazing Spider-Man movie universe, which is something Webb & Co. have indicated they want to do...

Old 01-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #25
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
A Daily Bugle movie sounds boring.
Trolling?