The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #26
tamron
Side-Kick

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 4

What do you mean by "claims Wakanda's independence from whatever real African nation it's located in..."?

If Wakanda isn't independent at the start, exactly what throne does S'Yan have to even be overthrown by M'Baku in a coup? How/why did Wakanda fall for there to be 'ruins'?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Yeah. There is no reason the geographical borders have to be exactly the same as in real life, and its not like the map of Africa doesn't change monthly, anyway. Let Wakanda be its own ( relatively small ) nation.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #28
tamron
Side-Kick

If you swap "Wakandan ruins" for 'the temple in Necropolis' and "communes with his father" for 'is found worthy and blessed by the panther god, Bast', I'd be all for it as T'Challa's final step before the penultimate battle.

But as much as I'd like to see that, and in fact the entire pantheon of Wakandan animal gods touched upon, I think Marvel would be leery to portray a hero as an 'idol worshipper' or what have you. I can just hear the backlash from soccer moms and conservative religious groups now.

But he could at least visit a temple and consume the herb with a panther statue in the background or something. Us fans would know without being said what's up.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #29
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

I'm curious what you black panther fans thought of age of ultron. BP was defeated by some stairs. Meanwhile the fantastic four go out fighting, but black panther falls down the stairs.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjuevos View Post
I'm curious what you black panther fans thought of age of ultron. BP was defeated by some stairs. Meanwhile the fantastic four go out fighting, but black panther falls down the stairs.
I didn't read it, but I did see how Black Panther died in it. Bendis sure does find ways to kill off people in the dumbest ways possible. The guy had Hawkeye killed because his quiver got set on fire, and instead of actually pulling it off he jumps to his doom to take out a Kree ship. How editors let something that dumb fly is beyond me. Even if they are cool with Bendis they could have told him to change the death into a fashion that makes more sense.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #31
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamron View Post
What do you mean by "claims Wakanda's independence from whatever real African nation it's located in..."?

If Wakanda isn't independent at the start, exactly what throne does S'Yan have to even be overthrown by M'Baku in a coup? How/why did Wakanda fall for there to be 'ruins'?
Yikes. Those are pretty big holes. Hmmm....

I guess the idea would be that Wakanda went into hiding, appearing to be conquered.

The story also needs more vibranium, now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Yeah. There is no reason the geographical borders have to be exactly the same as in real life, and its not like the map of Africa doesn't change monthly, anyway. Let Wakanda be its own ( relatively small ) nation.
I mean, the movie doesn't really ever show the borders. I do think you have to explain why a country exists that no one has ever heard of. Microstates with disputed independence is a sufficient explanation for me, I figure that would satisfy anyone.

Quote:
If you swap "Wakandan ruins" for 'the temple in Necropolis' and "communes with his father" for 'is found worthy and blessed by the panther god, Bast', I'd be all for it as T'Challa's final step before the penultimate battle.

But as much as I'd like to see that, and in fact the entire pantheon of Wakandan animal gods touched upon, I think Marvel would be leery to portray a hero as an 'idol worshipper' or what have you. I can just hear the backlash from soccer moms and conservative religious groups now.

But he could at least visit a temple and consume the herb with a panther statue in the background or something. Us fans would know without being said what's up.
I like Bast better. Good call. I don't think the other gods are important enough for a first film. And I suspect if Dr. Strange can fly, Black Panther shouldn't have any problem. And if this backlash can't shut down House of Anubis or other pagan kids shows, Bast and Sekhmet will be just fine elsewhere as well.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #32
rron3419

***potential spoiler casting alert***
Info from inside the marvel fortress has come through in the form of a rumor of the black panther's casting. Three actors have tested for the long coveted role of T'challa Micheal b. Jordan star of fruitville station, Chadwick boseman star of 42, and David William Watts star of general hospital. The rumor come on the heels of the announcement of marvels phase three films such as ant man, doctor strange and others. It is known that marvel heads are looking for lesser known actors for the role. Information should begin to come forward as time progresses.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #33
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by rron3419 View Post
Info from inside the marvel fortress has come through in the form of a rumor of the black panther's casting. Three actors have tested for the long coveted role of T'challa Micheal b. Jordan star of fruitville station, Chadwick boseman star of 42, and David William Watts star of general hospital. The rumor come on the heels of the announcement of marvels phase three films such as ant man, doctor strange and others. It is known that marvel heads are looking for lesser known actors for the role. Information should begin to come forward as time progresses.
Chadwick Boseman has been rumored since May.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #34
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

I Googled David Williams Watt, and there are no pics of the actor. All Google images shows is pictures of white guys.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #35
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I Googled David Williams Watt, and there are no pics of the actor. All Google images shows is pictures of white guys.

I did the same, leads me to believe that post is nonsense.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 01-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #36
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:

Agreed. Why not just make it up without taking from real African nations? Nobody really cares where DC's Gotham City and Metropolis are really located. In Sydney Pollack's "The Interpreter" it wasn't important to say where the Republic of Matobo was exactly located.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #37
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:

I found the guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1560043/mediaindex

Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #38
Frico
Live by the creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rron3419 View Post
Grain of salt. No. Bag of salt.

But it was Mayimbe who put Boseman on the BP radar right?

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 AM   #39
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post
Grain of salt. No. Bag of salt.

But it was Mayimbe who put Boseman on the BP radar right?
Yes.

My top two choices remain Chiwetel Ejiofor and David Oyelowo. Both would bring sophistication to the role. I don't know about Oyelowo's interest in a comic book movie, but Ejiofor has expressed interest.

Boseman is one of my picks for Luke Cage. My backups are Taye Diggs and Morris Chestnut.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #40
tamron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I like Bast better. Good call. I don't think the other gods are important enough for a first film. And I suspect if Dr. Strange can fly, Black Panther shouldn't have any problem. And if this backlash can't shut down House of Anubis or other pagan kids shows, Bast and Sekhmet will be just fine elsewhere as well.
If M'Baku is used at all, it would make sense to at least touch on the gorilla god, Ghekre.

I agree that the pagan angle shouldn't be a problem, but when Marvel does their normal song and dance about how hard BP is to adapt and considering how super pc they played Mandarin to avoid offending Asian markets, I just think it's an element of Panther they won't want to delve into as to reach the broadest possible audience, since the idea of an African superhero with a tech savvy country is supposedly a 'hard sell' in and of itself.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #41
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

I still think chiwetel ejiofor would be great as T'challa.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 AM   #42
bluerayer
The Steel Claw

Neill Blomkamp for director!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 01-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #43
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Every Black Actor who isn't already in the MCU will want this role if (when) Marvel announces the movie. He'll be joining the ranks of these heroes in the MCU:

Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #44
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Every Black Actor who isn't already in the MCU will want this role if (when) Marvel announces the movie. He'll be joining the ranks of these heroes in the MCU:

Don't forget

Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #45
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
don't forget

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

r.i.p.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #46
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Peterson is dead (or at least we think he's dead), which is why I didn't include him.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #47
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Should Shuri be in this?

Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #48
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Should Shuri be in this?
No. She doesn't have much depth to her character, and she was created during a terrible time in BP history. The only reason why she is still around is because Marvel likes Hudlin, but you could easily have a Black Panther movie without her.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #49
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
No. She doesn't have much depth to her character, and she was created during a terrible time in BP history. The only reason why she is still around is because Marvel likes Hudlin, but you could easily have a Black Panther movie without her.
Okay. Although we do need more black women in the MCU. The only black actress in the MCU right now is playing an alien while a Mixed race actress is rumored to play Janet Van Dyne in Ant Man.

Still though, I do believe BP is likely to happen, especially if Vibranium is mentioned more and more in Cap 2 and Avengers 2.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #50
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

There could be plenty of black women without Shuri. You've got Monica Lynne, Ramonda, both Dora Milaje who could have some interesting personalities. There is also Queen Divine Justice who is a Dora Milaje, but way different since she was raised in America. I really hate Shuri because she just showed up one day because a writer felt like it, and she is a blood sibling that never existed for nearly 40 years before that happened. It would be like if Iron Man just randomly came home to a sister that we never saw in the 50 years he has been around.

But I digress. I've unfortunately grown to accept that Shuri is going nowhere. Maybe one day someone would give her a back story the way that Priest gave back stories to his new additions like the White Wolf and the Dora Milaje.