The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #151
Superman 1265
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 3

Bask in the glory of Henry's glorious mustache... Bask in it, I say!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #152
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman 1265 View Post

Henry for Axe Cop.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #153
sf2
Side-Kick

Back to fatty cavill.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #154
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

That's ****ing hilarious.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #155
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Don't do that to his beautiful face! Shame on all of you!

Old 12-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #156
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Don't do that to his beautiful face! Shame on all of you!
I feel that Cavill's good looks have led people to take him less seriously as an actor, and to me that's sad.

The guy absolutely gave it his all in MOS, and for me was easily the best Superman since Christopher Reeve. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for bringing to life the Superman from the comic books.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #157
roach
I am the night

Quote:

Stay Classy Metropolis

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #158
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
I feel that Cavill's good looks have led people to take him less seriously as an actor, and to me that's sad.

The guy absolutely gave it his all in MOS, and for me was easily the best Superman since Christopher Reeve. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for bringing to life the Superman from the comic books.
Yeah...it is sad, but I think he will be able to overcome this. This is a common phenomena that happens in Hollywood to both male and female actors. This is why I'm hoping MOS2 really gives him the opportunity to stretch himself in the role. He proved to me he has good instincts for the character, so I'd like to the see the writers give him more and allow him to do more. He already owns the role, but they haven't given him anything that really lets him show he owns it.

Oh btw...nice to see you again Axl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Stay Classy Metropolis
The fact he still looks boss with the 'stache is what has me.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #159
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post

I completely agree. I thought he brought Superman to life as well and I rank his performance among my favorite performances I've seen from actors in any movie. That's why I try to defend him whenever I can.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #160
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

only ugly people can be good actors srsly y'all gosh

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #161
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I completely agree. I thought he brought Superman to life as well and I rank his performance among my favorite performances I've seen from actors in any movie. That's why I try to defend him whenever I can.
Cavill had to embody Superman without imitating Reeve, and he did so when the script allowed him to. His demeanor in the interrogation and drone scene is perfect.

Heck, I feel like he'd have done better if he ad-libbed the dialog instead of being trapped by Goyer's pretentious and sometimes clunky wording.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #162
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:

If Freddie Mercury had played Superman in 1978...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #163
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Cavill had to embody Superman without imitating Reeve, and he did so when the script allowed him to. His demeanor in the interrogation and drone scene is perfect.

Heck, I feel like he'd have done better if he ad-libbed the dialog instead of being trapped by Goyer's pretentious and sometimes clunky wording.
I agree. I think he did everything in his power to embody Superman. He worked so hard to get the traditional Supes body, he researched the character through comics, and he made the most out of a flawed script. The writing in this movie didn't do any characters any favors. It was something they had to work against, rather than something that worked for them, for the most part anyway. Things were well written thematically and ideologically, but this wasn't well conveyed through dialogue. Cavill did well despite this script, not because of it. And that shows skill. He was especially good in the better scenes Goyer wrote, like the interrogation scene. I can't wait to see how he does now that Terrio is working on the script.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #164
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Yeah...it is sad, but I think he will be able to overcome this. This is a common phenomena that happens in Hollywood to both male and female actors. This is why I'm hoping MOS2 really gives him the opportunity to stretch himself in the role. He proved to me he has good instincts for the character, so I'd like to the see the writers give him more and allow him to do more. He already owns the role, but they haven't given him anything that really lets him show he owns it.

Oh btw...nice to see you again Axl! The fact he still looks boss with the 'stache is what has me.
Well, he has to do other roles to show his acting skill.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #165
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I'm sorry. I don't think I understand you

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #166
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

what's "acting"? such confusion, very perplexed, much headache, wow

Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #167
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Unlike your boy Brandon Routh, Henry Cavill's already done that. Kthanxbye.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #168
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
Unlike your boy Brandon Routh, Henry Cavill's already done that. Kthanxbye.
um exsqueeze me. routh was in an episode of a little show called "undressed"...ever heard of it? cavill just had a few movies and some show about british people that he got rave reviews in, which means nothing. routh beat cavill for superman the deadbeat dad returns.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #169
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
If Freddie Mercury had played Superman in 1978...

I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #170
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
um exsqueeze me. routh was in an episode of a little show called "undressed"...ever heard of it? cavill just had a few movies and some show about british people that he got rave reviews in, which means nothing. routh beat cavill for superman the deadbeat dad returns.
Oh, yeah? Well...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #171
CK_ALL_DAY
Side-Kick

This thread is.......strange. But in a good way

Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #172
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I think there are two aspects to this. Yes, an extremely beautiful person often isn't taken seriously if they're doing something that does not depend on their looks. Charlize Theron having to "uglify" herself in Monster for the Oscar is probably the most obvious example. Heath Ledger hiding his face under layers of makeup for the Joker is another, but a weaker example.

Another aspect is that Henry simply hasn't taken on any extremely challenging acting roles. Uglified or not, Charlize in Monster had an extremely challenging acting role. Heath was Oscar-nominated for Brokeback Mountain before TDK, when his face was in full view the whole time.

I'm not sure if the MOS franchise is the vehicle for Henry to show that he's a serious actor. Christian Bale is probably one of the best actors in our generation, and Nolan took him to pretty extreme places as Bruce Wayne/Batman, probably more extreme than every other Batman actor has had to do, but most people didn't take note of his performances in TDKT. It's simply not a showy role, and Superman I'd argue is even less showy.

It's up to Henry to take his newfound fame (and money) from MOS, like Christian did, and choose roles that will be challenging for him, if he wants to be taken seriously as an actor.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #173
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I don't think Henry's looks are the problem, he just hasn't yet proven he is a good actor because he hasn't had good projects. I loved him in MOS but the writing and directing didn't give him a chance to show how good he can be. He was still one of the best in the cast but he wasn't the stand out "wow this guy is amazing" addition to the story. I've watched every episode of The Tudors but there also there wasn't any "wow" factor to his acting, then again Charles Brandon wasn't that meaty of a role. He is not a bad actor, he is good at his job and is more than a pretty face, unlike Orlando Bloom or Brandon Routh; but he hasn't done anything truly spectacular like Johnny Depp or L. Dicaprio.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #174
matt47
Side-Kick

Well..it's not like he doesn't want to stretch his acting muscles, he has said in interviews when asked what genres he would like to do now that he is pretty famous and he said anything, from comedy to drama anything. We just have to wait until the movies (hopefully) start coming in his henry cavil on the posters. Hopefully The Man from UNCLE will show some of his acting ability but I doubt that will be THE movie with the "wow" performance from Cavill.

btw...lovin the stache.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #175
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I thought henry was really the only one who stood out in MOS. The others were good, but didn't outshine him or anything.

Closed Thread