The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #151
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else hoping they don't fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Nah, I still got chills at the bat-break, man.
I thought it was poorly done. I didn't feel the impact of it at all. I was actually shocked.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #152
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ To make matters worse, Bane is the one one who KICKS!

Batman makes no effort to use any other martial arts except close-quartered ones. Why doesn't he use distance and misdirection?

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #153
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I was ok with the breaking scene too. But the rest...eh.

I would be surprised if Snyder doesn't do a good job depicting Batman's fighting style. I'm expecting much better Batman action in this movie.
Yeah ! Nolan's a genius, no contest - and the Dark Knight is pure magic, but even then he shies away from fight choreography too much - Batman Begins had better "boss" fights - whereas perhaps he's not the same kind of creative master but Snyder can deliver a fist fight that's going to really satisfy.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #154
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post

Batman makes no effort to use any other martial arts except close-quartered ones. Why doesn't he use distance and misdirection?

Poor choreography? Emphasis on plot, with less on character?

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #155
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I think plot and character should go together like a great sandwich. Sure Batman MUST be broken by Bane, but I don't think it serves the character to forget how to fight.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #156
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

In the comics it made sense that Bats got his butt handed to him by Bane, because he was barely able to stand up after dealing with all the Arkham escapees. Here Batman had to be stupid in order to get his butt handed to him... basically he fought Bane like he was in a bar brawl rather than using his characteristic strategy and ingenuity. The 8 year absence doesn't provide a good excuse for this - yeah, maybe he is not as strong or fast as he once was, but that doesn't mean he's stupid.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #157
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
^ I think plot and character should go together like a great sandwich. Sure Batman MUST be broken by Bane, but I don't think it serves the character to forget how to fight.

That's what I mean. It's a flaw to forget Batman's character and just go through the motions of the plot. His fighting/technique is a part of his character that wasn't really used that much.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #158
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
In the comics it made sense that Bats got his butt handed to him by Bane, because he was barely able to stand up after dealing with all the Arkham escapees. Here Batman had to be stupid in order to get his butt handed to him... basically he fought Bane like he was in a bar brawl rather than using his characteristic strategy and ingenuity. The 8 year absence doesn't provide a good excuse for this - yeah, maybe he is not as strong or fast as he once was, but that doesn't mean he's stupid.
Especially since he took out gunmen a little bit earlier.

He has enough energy to dodge bullets, but not fists?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #159
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:

Simplest answers; restrictive rubber suit, Nolan's lack of experience in action choreography, and the Keysi fight method. These three together do not lend themselves to an engrossing combative scene. Luckily we're well on our way to the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #160
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I'll be happy when I think that the movements are too fancy and OTT

Old 12-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #161
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:

Totally ! Rusty yes, ****ing stupid, no. That was pushing it too far. The fact that he basically walked into Bane's lair (an obvious trap) without a backup plan of any kind, is just too much - Batman makes mistakes, but he's not a dumbass. Sure, sneak into Bane's lair and attack, but to give up a territorial advantage like that, it just doesn't seem like Batman.

[QUOTE] Simplest answers; restrictive rubber suit, Nolan's lack of experience in action choreography, and the Keysi fight method. These three together do not lend themselves to an engrossing combative scene. Luckily we're well on our way to the complete opposite end of the spectrum. [ / QUOTE]

Buddy, you are not wrong. While these are all true, and I know that TDKR was meant to be a Batman who's not at his peak, but Bats was still able to put on a reasonably skillful and entertaining display in Batman Begins.
So, it can be done, even with Keysi and the rubber.
I think Nolan changed fight arrangers, and as such, lost what he'd gained in the first two films - that is, Batman as a credible fighter.

What might have made more sense, is if Batman had to fight a small army of thugs, was exhausted, and then Bane kicked the **** out of him.
If you watch that fight and you're cheering for Bane, it's actually pretty good ( not counting the phantom punch), but if you're looking for something from Batman.....not that great.

I like to think of myself as something of a connoisseur of fight scenes (sorry that's pretentious, what I'm really trying to say is that I watch too many action movies).
Having said all that, I DON'T want Batfleck to fight like something out of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or the Matrix. I don't want to see ballet,
it should look like a fight, something from the Bourne movies (Matt Damon, that is, check out Bourne Ultimatum, awesome fight scenes)

like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLt7lXDCHQ0

or Person of Interest, the show opens with an awesome multiple-opponent fight scene, Jim Caviezel is poetry in motion, he looks skilfull and brutal and uses stuff that might actually work. It's not kung fu flick pretty, but it's got a vicious grace all of its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNaj9nMIq8

also, see how he uses throat strikes, knees and elbows, and keeps his opponents positioned so they can only hit him one at a time ? Magic. This is how Batman should fight. IMO

Old 12-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #162
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

For me the worst part was how Bruce could go in there and not work out that Selina was leading him right under applied sciences. I just don't see how he could not know that.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #163
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Bourne used to be my go-to reference for how Batman should move. It has since been dethroned by The Raid.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #164
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I especially like the leg throw/punch at the 3 minute mark. I think Vlad does an excellent job of being stylized without compromising intensity. He'd be who I choose for the fight choreography for Batman.

It's brutal, but not graceless, and stylized without feeling too impractical.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #165
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Perfection. Love that style. Gonna have to watch that again.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #166
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I'd love for Batman to fight like that. He should be fast, intense, and f***ing terrifying. Basically if a goon saw his buddies being taken down that bad he'd mess his pants and run for his life.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #167
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjenn View Post
Now I'm not saying they need to be best chums and agree on everthing, in fact they don't have to like each other. But why do they HAVE to fight? If we really need to demonstrate Batman's importance, have him save Superman from Kryptonite or something. Avengers did the Superhero vs superhero fight, this could help differentiate this film from the marvel brand. Hell, even Ironman and War Machine fought when the latter showed up. I hope they go the other way and have them begrudgingly agree to work together.
No, I do want them to fight, and they WILL fight, until there is a villain (or villains) that threatens Earth, and they will have no choice but to put there Ethical and Moral value's aside on how they feel about one another in-order to fight the real Evil that threatens the planet, and the people of Earth. My main feeling here, is that the Movie will focus on how Batman can defeat Sups, IMO. But then again, I can see it going the other way (long shot). Here are my options of how this will go...

There are 2 Scenarios here, as far as why they fight...

(Least case 2nd Scenario)... There is going to be a situation to where Superman is seeing Batman fighting crime in an unethical way (to sups standards anyway), Sups will find Batman as a man taking Justice into his own hands, which is something Sups see's as wrong! In Sups opinion... let the justice system take care of these things.

The reason I feel this will not be the case as far as the movie's plot, is that there is really no room for Batman to think of how he would defeat Sups in this scenario, Superman would have the upper hand going after Batman first (obviously)!

1st CASE and most obvious Scenario...

Batman finds Sups as a threat to humanity (with Sups being an Alien), and with Batman being the Vigilante he is, he dedicates himself to figuring out how to defeat this Super-Powered Alien, this threat, that in the first Movie caused so much destruction, and with Sups fight against ZOD and the Kryptonians, that battle killed so many people, that Batman has vowed to take Superman down before something like this happens again. Massive NEWS footage on the casualty count inspires Batman to take this Alien down for good, this WILL never happen again (in Batman's Mind).

I don't read comics, I simply go off of my common sense. I was around 90%-95% correct on Man Of Steel, predictions that Sups would not be putting on Glasses until the very last minutes of the movie etc, etc.

BTW, I'm about 20 minutes from YorkVille IL, hoping to get there within the next week or so to get some up close Pics for us of the newly built Kent house. I'm very interested in seeing the remodeling done to it after ZOD threw a car through it!

"But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny."

Last edited by EtherMagic; 12-26-2013 at 05:07 AM.
EtherMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #168
Man of Steel
Superman

I actually want them to fight, just so Superman can win and shut up all the "Batman always wins because he's Batman" people.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #169
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Is there any chance they could have the equivalent of a presidential-styled debate in this movie? Perhaps Superman and Batman can put forward their cases and also air their grievances via this method, resolving their differences in a civilised manner. Maybe WW will be the adjudicator.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #170
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
I actually want them to fight, just so Superman can win and shut up all the "Batman always wins because he's Batman" people.
It will never happen I tell you. In the movie history of man fighting alien, the man always wins no matter how strong the alien is.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #171
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
I don't think that was ever the point of their clashes. Everyone knows Supes can beat Bats easily. But as a character, he won't. It's the equivalent of a dad arm wrestling his baby son.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #172
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I don't think that was ever the point of their clashes. Everyone knows Supes can beat Bats easily. But as a character, he won't. It's the equivalent of a dad arm wrestling his baby son.
All true, friend... But as Batman himself might say, sometimes even "Poppa'" needs to give out a good spanking.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #173
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I especially like the leg throw/punch at the 3 minute mark. I think Vlad does an excellent job of being stylized without compromising intensity. He'd be who I choose for the fight choreography for Batman.

It's brutal, but not graceless, and stylized without feeling too impractical.
Sorry Dudes, have to disagree. I actually hate that style for a number of reasons.

1) only one bad guy attacks at a time. Watch Bourne, or POI, all the bad guys are moving, but the hero uses them as obstacles to block each other.
Watch that scene and focus on the people in the background, a lot of the time they are watching.

2) throwing kicks like that in a confined space is a superb way to get your ass handed to your, or your leg broken, or both. There's a reason Batman
doesn't use a lot of kicks (other than the front kick in TDKR)

3) Techniques: she punches those guys a bunch of times each and then kicks them. (again, what are all the other guys, who are BEHIND her doing ?) whereas Batman uses single, effective strikes (something Nolan got right in some parts of the Trilogy). The hammer fist strikes Batman uses in TDK and the headbutts and elbows are effective in real life (I know this from experience). Watch a UFC and see what happens when 2 skilled combatants start trading blows, it's nowhere near that pretty.

Sure, this is a stylized movie fight, and it's fun. Real fights, especially against multiple opponents are a mess, not fun to look at all (and even less fun to be in). But IMO Batman has to be somewhere between real-life brawling, and the fancy (cool-looking-but-utterly-unrealistic) stuff in that clip. No offence, it's great for movie choreography, but I want Bats to be
a bit grittier and more believable than that.

Get Jeff Imada in to help out.

Now Snyder can do superhero fights reasonably well, the prison fight in Watchmen, and the gang fight are well managed.....well at least better managed than this.

So, I'm going to go with my original suggestion, as the stuff from Bourne or POI might actually work and is still entertaining.

Cheers.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #174
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I don't like the editing of the fight (what's with the snarling, anyway?), but I love the volley of limbs, fists, and the brutal grappling techniques shown.

I always hated the "one-at-a-time cliche." There is one part of the short, in about the 2:20 mark where they start to gang up on her. I would want more of that for Batman.

I want Batman to range from stylized and fun to more plausible, depending on the situation and mood. But I'd like something like this for an early scene in which Batman fights multiple enemies.

When he fights Superman it should be more primal and less kick-oriented, IMHO.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #175
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Superman's gonna have to be weakened if he and Bats actually fight. Bats physically fighting Supes who isn't poisoned with Kryptonite or whatever would go nowhere.