The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Who would you want to make Nintendo games besides Nintendo?

Let's say for whatever reason Nintendo AND their subsidiaries can no longer make their own games. Which dev studios would you want to make which games?

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who would you want to make Nintendo games besides Nintendo?

Koei. Just not Zelda. Mario. A Mario hack and slash would be awesome. Mario vs hordes of koopas and goombas.

If we're going totally out there, Bioware taking a crack at Zelda would be... interesting. Hey, they did Sonic.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
zenith16
Side-Kick

hmm I think game informer did this. Is that what inspired this thread?

Ok well I'd say ether konami or platinum games for Zelda cause of both the DMC and castle vainia games and they might do some interesting things there. or lastly the people that make the Dragon quest /worrior and blue dragon series The other stuff Nintendo owns I really have to think about

Last edited by zenith16; 12-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

I don't know, it's a hard question to answer. The only other developer I can think of that has the same type of gameplay first philosophy is Platinum Games. I'm sure there's more, but that's all that come to mind.

I sort of shutter to think what other developers would try and make these franchises into, to be honest. Zelda would probably suffer the worst, since I could see it as an easy mine for developers to try and create some kind of cookie cutter "mature" cinematic-based title out of it. Blergh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Koei. Just not Zelda. Mario. A Mario hack and slash would be awesome. Mario vs hordes of koopas and goombas.
Seriously...?

For one spinoff game, maybe, but I shutter to think of giving those guys crack at a mainstream title or control over the franchise.

Quote:
If we're going totally out there, Bioware taking a crack at Zelda would be... interesting. Hey, they did Sonic.
They did, and it was pretty much ****.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Oh I should have read more closely, I assumed it was just a spin off.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

I assume he was asking which developers would take control of developing the franchise if Nintendo didn't or couldn't.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, I would like to see Square do a Zelda, that nearly happened.

But permanently? No idea.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
zenith16
Side-Kick

Ok this one just came to me for Metroid Keiji Inafune's new studio, will do well for that one.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Soapy
It's happening again...

I guess I'll answer my own question.

Mario Kart is the easiest for me. Even without my hypothetical scenario Sumo Digital would be the ideal place for that series. They've developed a number of good racing games, but recently they're responsible for the Sonic & Sega All-Stars kart racing games which have handily out-Mario Karted Mario Kart.

I would give Zelda to Crytek USA. That probably seems like a weird pick at first, but Crytek USA is a new studio formed from the remains of Vigil, the developers of the excellent Darksiders games. If you've played them, you would know that the developers have a pretty clear understanding of what makes a good Zelda game.

I think Way Forward would be a good fit for Metroid. (Unless you're in the love with the FPS games in the series.) They've made a lot of excellent 2D games in the past, including some in the "Metroidvania" sub-genre.

F-Zero would have to go to Firesprite. Firesprite is a new studio made up of former devs from Studio Liverpool, the developers of the Wipeout series.

Figuring out where Donkey Kong should go is tricky. Figuring out Mario is virtually impossible. Nobody really makes games like that (of that scope) besides Nintendo. I'll have to think about it some more.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
zenith16
Side-Kick

well some of those picks were the same ones game informer picked. and they were one that were interesting and also good calls and it's true the former Vigil dev's do under stand zelda. even if their not all to together.

I didn't think of F-zero but the peep's that made wipe out would be cool. fFor Wipeout. which is number 54 in the
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Top 100 Games #54: Hover Cars And High Speeds, What More Do You Need?
WipEout comes in at #54 in ...

Reviews

WipEout 2048 – HD Fury (PS Vita)

Victor and Scott buckle up for WipEout 2048 - HD Fury. This DLC adds a metric ton of content to an already

Last edited by zenith16; 12-25-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I guess I'll answer my own question.

Mario Kart is the easiest for me. Even without my hypothetical scenario Sumo Digital would be the ideal place for that series. They've developed a number of good racing games, but recently they're responsible for the Sonic & Sega All-Stars kart racing games which have handily out-Mario Karted Mario Kart.

I would give Zelda to Crytek USA. That probably seems like a weird pick at first, but Crytek USA is a new studio formed from the remains of Vigil, the developers of the excellent Darksiders games. If you've played them, you would know that the developers have a pretty clear understanding of what makes a good Zelda game.

I think Way Forward would be a good fit for Metroid. (Unless you're in the love with the FPS games in the series.) They've made a lot of excellent 2D games in the past, including some in the "Metroidvania" sub-genre.

F-Zero would have to go to Firesprite. Firesprite is a new studio made up of former devs from Studio Liverpool, the developers of the Wipeout series.

Figuring out where Donkey Kong should go is tricky. Figuring out Mario is virtually impossible. Nobody really makes games like that (of that scope) besides Nintendo. I'll have to think about it some more.
There's really not a really solid developer outside Nintendo for platformers anymore. At least not on the mainstream level. Maybe some indie developers out there.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
zenith16
Side-Kick

Well there's Mark cerny but most have fallen to the way side. and the other half are quiet for now sofar . I think there was supposed to be new sly cooper coming . yeah they've been mostly quiet.

Last edited by zenith16; 12-25-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
There's really not a really solid developer outside Nintendo for platformers anymore. At least not on the mainstream level. Maybe some indie developers out there.
I think Ubisoft's recent Rayman games have been really, really great, but I don't think Ubisoft would be a good fit for either Donkey Kong or Mario.

Since you mentioned indies, I would ****ing love it if Nintendo would let some indie developers take a crack at some of their franchises for smaller, downloadable games. That would require Nintendo to much more forward-thinking than they are though.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #14
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Nintendo's reluctant to make a true 3D Donkey Kong does make me want to see someone else handle the franchise. Not forever, but just for a big budget game.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:38 AM   #15
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Anybody, so long as the games are made in the spirit of their predecessors as originally nintended.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
Fading
>:(

Considering Metroid's last attempt was poorly received, it can really only go back up. I wouldn't mind seeing Kojima get a crack at it. ZOE showed he could do more than MGS. I could see him doing a good 3rd person of it.

Zelda, you need someone who can do atmosphere as well as gameplay. I think Naughty Dog could pull it off. Uncharted, and Last of us are night and day in the atmosphere department, I think they could pull off a happy medium inbetween them. As Zelda can be colorful, and still have dark, moody areas in it as well.

Pokemon, Level 5. Ni No Kuni was well done, and already has a similar feel. I think they could make a good console Pokemon game.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
eatup
Side-Kick

Nobody can make a proper (or even good) Star Fox game, except for Nintento. I can understand Nintendo outsourcing a title like Donkey Kong. But I can't see myself playing a Mario(-Kart)/Zelda/Metroid/StarFox game made by someone else ever... How would you like it if Disney bought out Square and started making their own FF games in house?

eatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #18
Fading

Part of the problem is finding that happy medium inbetween listening to what fans want/expect out of a fan favorite series, and trying to innovate. It would be too easy for a developer who just got their hands on a long loved series to either box themselves in based on fans expecting it to be exactly like previous versions, or trying to make it "their" game and making it unrecognizable.

Like, while I still agree with my earlier post that Naughty Dog could do a good Zelda. Naughty Dog is still Naughty Dog. They've been doing some great voice acting games, and have long since moved past silent games. So would they give Link a voice? If so, does this ruin the experience, or are Zelda fans just overly cautious to change with giving Link a voice possibly being an improvement.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't bought a Nintendo console in awhile (atleast not new, I bought a Gamecube near the end of it's cycle), because I only care about very few games. While I still loved their handheld titles. Zelda's about the only console exclusive title Nin puts out that I still care about. I also have strong nostalgia for the series. So I'd be happy if it always stays a Nin exclusive, even if I miss it (still haven't played Twillight Princess, or Skyward Sword) as Nintendo does it justice.

That said, I do wonder sometimes if some changes could improve the series. I fell out of caring for Mario since it feels like every game has "been here, done that", it all blurs together. Zelda is just so well done to me it's avoided that, but it's really remained pretty untouched innovation wise. Which is a pro as it speaks to a rock solid gaming core, but eventually I do want to see the series grow. Nintendo sometimes gets stubborn with change though (see online).

Old 02-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #19
Soapy
It's happening again...

You should try Super Mario 3D Land/World. Totally fresh take on the Mario formula.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
Fading

Last Mario I tried was New SMB on my old DSI. I liked it, but it didn't do anything for reigniting my urge to play a console Mario. That said, I'm sure the games you suggested are good. I just don't have the urge to play Mario anymore. Even games like Mariokart have become like that with me though. Whenever I pop it in, I have fun. I've just played so many versions of Mariokart over the years (me and my friends played Mariokart 64 to death) that I've just slowly lost interest.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #21
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
You should try Super Mario 3D Land/World. Totally fresh take on the Mario formula.
I strongly second this.

And I never cared for New Super Mario Bros.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #22
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
Last Mario I tried was New SMB on my old DSI. I liked it, but it didn't do anything for reigniting my urge to play a console Mario. That said, I'm sure the games you suggested are good. I just don't have the urge to play Mario anymore. Even games like Mariokart have become like that with me though. Whenever I pop it in, I have fun. I've just played so many versions of Mariokart over the years (me and my friends played Mariokart 64 to death) that I've just slowly lost interest.
Geez, that was eight years ago. Was Mario really so tired and used up to you even back then? I can see someone feeling that way after all the NSMB sequels, but prior to them, Nintendo was always good about making each Mario game unique and innovative. Plus it's not like there was a new Mario platformer out every year. Sunshine came out seven years after 64 and NSMB was the first traditional sidescroller since Super Mario Land 2.

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 02-25-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #23
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Between Sony and Microsoft? Sony.

But I like what the guy up there was doing having specific devs for specific franchises. For instance:

Super Mario Bros by Ubisoft Montreal
The Legend of Zelda by Team Ico
Metroid by 2K Games
Star Fox by FASA/Smith & Tinker
Earthbound (Mother) by Square Enix
Fire Emblem by Gas Powered Games

If only just to see what they'd all look like.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #24
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I would have Bethesda make an open world Pokémon game (I've posted it here or in the Pokémon forum I can't remember where)

I think Sega should make another F-Zero game, possibly Star Fox if they to give that a shot.

If Nintendo were to acquire Platinum that could add an interesting dynamic to some of their titles. Say....Zelda?

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #25
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Between Sony and Microsoft? Sony.

But I like what the guy up there was doing having specific devs for specific franchises. For instance:

Super Mario Bros by Ubisoft Montreal
The Legend of Zelda by Team Ico
Metroid by 2K Games
Star Fox by FASA/Smith & Tinker
Earthbound (Mother) by Square Enix
Fire Emblem by Gas Powered Games

If only just to see what they'd all look like.
I could tell you how some of those would turn out, and it's not pretty, sir. It is not pretty at all.

Zelda by Ico would be pretty interesting to see, though.

Quote: