The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Girl gone ROGUE Thread (ANNA PAQUIN's BACK..FALSE ALARM SHE'S BEEN CUT) - Part

Quite frankly, I don't think we need Rogue. I get that Kitty's role in the comic, the teenager who acts as the new person in this world in order to help establish it for the audience, was intended for Rogue in X1. That being said, they abandoned that and made it Wolverine. Iceman and Rogue grew further apart in X3. Kitty was being pushed. I feel like Kitty can step into this role just fine. Honestly, I thought the Singer version of Rogue was fairly uninteresting, anyway. I actually think Kitty has more potential with a bigger role than Rogue did (mostly due to the way she was written and crafted in this series). Overall, this isn't a huge loss. Besides, they can bring her back later and maybe do more with her.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
BMM
Side-Kick

Default Re: Girl gone ROGUE Thread (ANNA PAQUIN's BACK..FALSE ALARM SHE'S BEEN CUT) - Part

Kitty Pryde does not come close to the potential Rogue had. Rogue is a well established character, with meaningful relationships, who played a pivotal role in the franchise. Kitty Pryde is two cameos and a forced relationship with Bobby. That's it.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #28
Angamb
Banned User

agree.

On other hand, I dont understand why we have to choose one or the other.

I want both. Both have potential. Rogue's power is more creative, tho, and thats why they have failed 4 times already.

The most creative power, and the most underused. I find it hard to believe

Old 12-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #29
def28
Side-Kick

Meh, I like the portrayal of Pryde better then Rogue. Page was a more entertaining adaptation to the films, puts up a better fight and is more important to this particular story. Obviously Rogue is not. If Rogue wasnt being used well I really could care less of her inclusion. I'll just end up complaining how they never use Rogue well again.

Actually, besides TAS and some 90s comics I thought Kitty was always a better character.Definitely has had way more central roles through the years. They even tried to mash some of her into Rogue with the film series.

Last edited by def28; 12-25-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #30
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

ironic that when DOFP was announced people like were i hope they give kitty a good role as she had a big role in the comic, and now people are saying pfft rogue should have had a bigger role then kitty

just can't win sometimes

Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
Psylocke's Bro
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
ironic that when DOFP was announced people like were i hope they give kitty a good role as she had a big role in the comic, and now people are saying pfft rogue should have had a bigger role then kitty

just can't win sometimes
Well if giving her a bigger role comes at the *expense of Rogue even having a decent role, that's a different story than initially wanting Kitty to *also have a sizeable role.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Actually, besides TAS and some 90s comics I thought Kitty was always a better character.Definitely has had way more central roles through the years.
And Rogue has had a way more central role in the films. That's the point. There is more potential there because of her more central role.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #33
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Right it brings the story first circle with X1. At least it would have. Kitty needs a role but she's just the girl who phases as of now. But I am glad shes in it and Page is the best actress for it. Still, both characters was what was so astonishing at first announcement.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Kitty Pryde does not come close to the potential Rogue had. Rogue is a well established character, with meaningful relationships, who played a pivotal role in the franchise. Kitty Pryde is two cameos and a forced relationship with Bobby. That's it.
Rogue was a boring character. Wolverine served as the door to showing the wider world of the X-Men through new eyes more effectively in X1 than she did. This version of Rogue lacked the charm she has in the comics. It feels like they wanted her powers in X1 for a plot device, while ignoring Rogue's personality outside of her main struggle of not being able to touch. In X2, she had the same plot line basically continuing, and once again she wasn't that interesting to watch. She was bland. Yes, they gave her meaningful relationships in X1 and X2 (and even X3 though she was tossed out of the main plot fairly early). However, what she actually accomplished as a character isn't anything we can't get from Kitty in an expanded role. Plus, Kitty was more fun/entertaining and frankly, I think Ellen Page is a better actress than Anna Paquin.

I don't hate Rogue. I'd like to see her come into her own instead of being in the shadow of attempting to serve the role Kitty/Jubilee have been narratively used for. But, if that wasn't in the cards in THIS movie, then I think it is wise to reconsider what they want to do with her before bringing her back. Besides, the heart of the film seems to be Wolverine and his relationship to the 2 Xaviers. Not Rogue and such. That is more side plot material.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #35
BeastStorm98
Side-Kick

I prefer Kitty, she is just a witty, fun character. And her powers could be very helpfully.
In DOFP, her powers are adapted and have evolved - like blue lights. Since she most likely with Wolverines body most of the time, hopefully she gets action. And screentime.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
And Rogue has had a way more central role in the films. That's the point. There is more potential there because of her more central role.
In the first one yeah, but I never saw her as that in the others. X2 she is a tag along and with were she left in the last it makes sense Kitty is still with them. Kitty was last seen fighting with the X-Men and with Bobby. She had a decent role in X3 as an X-Men. Rogue not so much. Even here it seems the X-Men have to go out of there way to bring her in the story, Im guessing thats why she was cut. Who knows though, maybe that last act judt didnt work in general. It did seem she was a plot point, but it may have been contrived to add her for that purpose just so she can be in the flick.

Ultimately Im biased with Kitty. I dug her alot. She brought a much needed energy to the team imo and proved to be more valuable in a fight. Though I did really want them to have Rogue more on the offensive side. But if they arent doing that or brining something new to Rogue then I have no issue with Kitty getting the time. I can do without seeing Rogue getting Captured and needing to be saved like a damsel in distress once again. Thats just not the Rogue I want to see.

Last edited by def28; 12-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Personally I didnt see much Kitty brought in X3. Its not her fault she didnt have much of a story or good lines though. Page fits the role perfectly l.There's lots of potential with Page in this one.. She is the best choice for the role but bringing Rogue back would just top the whole thing off. Her character was important to X1 and her smaller roles in X2 and 3 felt like stepping stones for what would eventually be something substantial as in this movie.

I don't see her as damsel, I envision her kicking some kind of ass in the process. Its poetic and tragic for Rogue to end up in a camp.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
def28
Side-Kick

I disagree. Film Rogue is a character that has needed more saving then any other character. If she was kicking ass that would be awesome. But she may have just been saved, brought to the temple and thats that .

Regardless, Im sure the right choice is being made. Shes too popular to ditch for the heck of it.

Last edited by def28; 12-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

its doubtful she was cut just "for the heck of it"

Old 12-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #40
Great Mind(s)
Broken

But she wasnt in the movie just for the heck of it either. That sounds like an entire subplot removed. Thats the problem with having to tell a story with so many loose plots within two hours. I love TV and there's plenty of hours to properly develop characters. When I geek out with the Xfilms I think of it as a tv series almost, I want to see another season worth of material from these actors and characters. There's so much left to do

Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #41
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

I just hope that this is the only character completely taken out and that we don't have to get our hopes up for a character like Colossus and he never shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 12-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #42
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Thats the problem with having to tell a story with so many loose plots within two hours. I love TV and there's plenty of hours to properly develop characters. When I geek out with the Xfilms I think of it as a tv series almost, I want to see another season worth of material from these actors and characters. There's so much left to do
Agreed. With as many characters as they have, a TV show would be the perfect format for X-Men.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #43
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Agreed. With as many characters as they have, a TV show would be the perfect format for X-Men.
It there was a 10 million budget for a 13 episode season (which is what it would take to get it right) then yes I'd say go for it but since that is unlikely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 12-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #44
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke's Bro View Post
Well if giving her a bigger role comes at the *expense of Rogue even having a decent role, that's a different story than initially wanting Kitty to *also have a sizeable role.
Agreed.

And Rogue borrowing or taking Kitty's power and help the mutant's mission adds more suspense to it really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
It there was a 10 million budget for a 13 episode season (which is what it would take to get it right) then yes I'd say go for it but since that is unlikely...
10 million budget wouldn't be enough

There are a couple of pilot episodes (Lost/Pan Am) out there that spent more than 5 million. What about a 13-episodes TV series for the X-Men?

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #45
Great Mind(s)
Broken

But look the movie comes out in half a year and we already knew the ending essentially. And now all of a sudden its not in it anymore. That was like the only big spoiler and now its not a spoiler anymore. I wonder if there's a connection. The spoiler/rumor was a reliable and all over the internet. Would Singer go so far as to mislead us or even change the ending because we all knew it for over a year before it was released?

Old 12-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #46
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Well, you know how accurate that X2 White House promo photo was...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)

Last edited by JackMercy; 12-25-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #47
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

It redirects to collider.com.

EDIT: The X2 White House picture is different to Singer telling the press that they cut Rogue out of the film.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-25-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #48
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
But look the movie comes out in half a year and we already knew the ending essentially. And now all of a sudden its not in it anymore. That was like the only big spoiler and now its not a spoiler anymore. I wonder if there's a connection. The spoiler/rumor was a reliable and all over the internet. Would Singer go so far as to mislead us or even change the ending because we all knew it for over a year before it was released?
Given the OT role is only 30% of the film I don't think it would be a big deal when there would likely be more to the ending then just that, plus fans speculation hasn't been confirmed by anyone and even if he did lie it doesn't mean someone wouldn't spoil that it was a lie, so best not to play games

So to answer your question no I don't think he would put her name in trailer, have her go comic con, appear in set videos and then stupidly try and fake her out of the film

Old 12-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #49
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Yeah but we were all waiting for some Rogue photos and stuff and I began wondering if they should/would even do that because of the nature of her role. I have a feeling he announced over twitter all the returning cast and didnt think of the promo stuff at that point.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #50
psyonic
X-Man

The trailer break down Singer did for Empire:

"Now we are reintroduced to Iceman's former belle, Anna Paquin’s Rogue, also in the future section. Does she have her powers? What does she do now? Tell us, Bryan! "I don't want to give away how she enters the movie at this point," he spoilsports. Bah!"

Everything I've read points to Rogue having a pivotal role in the third act which directly influences X-Men Apocalypse and Singer didn't want Rogue's role revealed. I'm like 70% convinced Rogue is still in the movie.

http://www.empireonline.com/features...r-breakdown/p5

Closed Thread